Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Trip Report--S. Korea

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Trip Report--S. Korea

Postby zboy1 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 am

I spent about a week in South Korea and, I must say, it's become a very clean, efficient and modern country.

Compared to China, the streets are cleaner, the food safer and more healthier, and the transportation system much more efficient. Also, the Internet speed in the country is amazing: much faster than the Slowwwwwwww...speed in China. And, no blocking of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook (which is such a stupid thing to do).

Koreans are a proud and nationalistic people; much more so than the sometimes insecure Chinese--who like to kowtow towards Whites in the big cities like Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen. Of course, outside of the Westernized areas of China, Chinese don't like Westerners as much. I think the rise of Korea has led to Koreans being much more 'comfortable' in their skin, than Chinese people--who sometimes act as if their inferior to other races...Koreans outside of Seoul also do not 'White-worship' as much as most other Asians...(I like that!)

Korean culture also has much more respect in the culture than Chinese culture; Koreans treat each other with respect, unlike the Chinese, and Koreans see other overseas Koreans--even the ones who lost their culture and cannot speak the langauge--as still being 'one-of-us.' That feeling does not exist in China with overseas Chinese who come back to the country...

Koreans are also WAYYYYYYY more polite than Chinese people; it was a shock to see our well-behaved

I was surprised to see such tall men in S. Korea: I'm tall for an Asian myself (5'10/5'11) but I saw many guys taller than me. As for the females, I found South Korean women to be very overrated: they, for the most part, have the 'plastic surgery' look and the 'K-pop' look, which I don't find attractive. Chinese girls are MUCH prettier and more natural-looking than them...

Chinese girls have a much more varied body-type and facial features than Korean women. Not to say there aren't any naturally attractive Korean females, but I didn't see as many as I would've liked. There were some pretty-hot Korean females, though, especially outside of Seoul.

I visited Seoul, for a couple of days and, found the women to be a bit arrogant and materialistic. That's not surprising considering how 'Western' the capital city is. I did like the atmosphere of Itaewon, which is the nighclub/expat hangout in Korea. It's also the gay/lesbian/transvestite center in the country. I didn't like the "Hooker-Hill" area, though. I found it to be a disgusting place filled with run-down hookers and sleazy expats and American soldiers.

I liked the places outside of Seoul; especially Inchon, Suwon, Kwangju and Pusan. The women there seemed much less materialistic than the women in Seoul. They also seem more family-oriented than Western women. But it still concerning to see how so many young Korean women are becoming more feminist and 'anti-male' than the older generations. :(

Suwon is a really nice place: full of ancient forts, sightseeing and a nice, small--city feel. It also has a P4P scene and a Red-Light district--but they don't cater to non-Koreans. Interestingly, many Korean hoes do not associate with non-Korean/non-Asian men, because it is seen as 'shameful' for Korean women to do so...

I also like Inchon because of the close proximity to the sea and the small-big city feel. Same with Pusan and Kwangju.

I will post more--and even some pictures--in the future....
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Jester » Sat May 17, 2014 4:12 am

Great, thorough report ZBoy.

Good luck, good hunting.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby starchild5 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:15 am

thanks for the report
User avatar
starchild5
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

Postby Luc Furr » Sat May 17, 2014 1:21 pm

fascist socialist countries are great at making nice clean ordered societies. Doesn't mean that they have a future.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Postby xiongmao » Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Nice report - I'd like to hear more (and see some photos!)

I'd like to visit there some time, if only to compare how similar/different it is to Japan.

Fast internet would be great - it was pretty slow in China and Thailand.

Westerners marrying Korean women is pretty rare - are there any dating opportunities for foreigners there?

I used to live in the Korean part of London but that was a long time ago now. I should revisit some time.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: London

Postby Traveler » Sun May 18, 2014 2:39 pm

xiongmao wrote:
Westerners marrying Korean women is pretty rare - are there any dating opportunities for foreigners there?

I think there is more prejudice against interracial relationships in Korea than in a lot of other Asian countries. This clip which demonized foreign men who had relationships with Korean women was broadcast on a national news channel a few years ago:

The Shocking Truth About Relationships With Foreigners

Historically, Korean women who married foreigners were viewed as traitors to their race. They were called whores or western princesses. Foreign men could be physically attacked just for being seen with a Korean woman. Things have gotten somewhat better in recent years though.
Traveler
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:23 am

Postby nicho12 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Luc Furr wrote:fascist socialist countries are great at making nice clean ordered societies. Doesn't mean that they have a future.


Because they don't have to deal with all the social problems that come with multiculturalism and diversity, In other-wards they don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel
nicho12
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Postby chanta76 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Actually in south korea there is a growing number of international marriage. Mostly between Korean men and poorer south east asian women. Saying that ....white guys do OK in Korea and are able to land a korean girl or korean wife.

The difference between South Korea and other Asian countries is that there isn't the same amount of white worship you will find in Korea as in other Asian countries (ex: Philippines) . It seems like western white guys get upset about this and scream racism and think Korean people are f***ed up but can't see their own form of racism thinking that by default being white means your better.

At the same time being an Asian man growing up in USA it felt more like Amerikkka to me than anything else. I can tell you the racist experience I got growing up here.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Postby Traveler » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 am

chanta76 wrote:At the same time being an Asian man growing up in USA it felt more like Amerikkka to me than anything else. I can tell you the racist experience I got growing up here.

No wonder African Americans say that other groups have tried to hijack their struggle for civil rights. Seriously, try to put things into perspective. I doubt anything you've experienced is comparable to lynching.
Traveler
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:23 am

Postby zboy1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 am

Traveler wrote:
chanta76 wrote:At the same time being an Asian man growing up in USA it felt more like Amerikkka to me than anything else. I can tell you the racist experience I got growing up here.

No wonder African Americans say that other groups have tried to hijack their struggle for civil rights. Seriously, try to put things into perspective. I doubt anything you've experienced is comparable to lynching.


Sure Blacks have it worse than Asians in the States, but don't discount the racism faced by Asian men in the United States and other Anglo countries...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby chanta76 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Traveler,

Not to make this a pissing pot contest in who has it worst. At least with Black guys they have the sexual prowess stereotype . With Asian man in America we are discriminated in the dating market. What's f***ed up is even Asian American women discriminate against Asian men.

But oh I forgot this is HA well most of us like to bellyache our lives here.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Trip Report--S. Korea

Postby Franco » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:41 am

zboy1 wrote:I spent about a week in South Korea and, I must say, it's become a very clean, efficient and modern country.

Compared to China, the streets are cleaner, the food safer and more healthier, and the transportation system much more efficient. Also, the Internet speed in the country is amazing: much faster than the Slowwwwwwww...speed in China. And, no blocking of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook (which is such a stupid thing to do).

Koreans are a proud and nationalistic people; much more so than the sometimes insecure Chinese--who like to kowtow towards Whites in the big cities like Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen. Of course, outside of the Westernized areas of China, Chinese don't like Westerners as much. I think the rise of Korea has led to Koreans being much more 'comfortable' in their skin, than Chinese people--who sometimes act as if their inferior to other races...Koreans outside of Seoul also do not 'White-worship' as much as most other Asians...(I like that!)

Korean culture also has much more respect in the culture than Chinese culture; Koreans treat each other with respect, unlike the Chinese, and Koreans see other overseas Koreans--even the ones who lost their culture and cannot speak the langauge--as still being 'one-of-us.' That feeling does not exist in China with overseas Chinese who come back to the country...

Koreans are also WAYYYYYYY more polite than Chinese people; it was a shock to see our well-behaved

I was surprised to see such tall men in S. Korea: I'm tall for an Asian myself (5'10/5'11) but I saw many guys taller than me. As for the females, I found South Korean women to be very overrated: they, for the most part, have the 'plastic surgery' look and the 'K-pop' look, which I don't find attractive. Chinese girls are MUCH prettier and more natural-looking than them...

Chinese girls have a much more varied body-type and facial features than Korean women. Not to say there aren't any naturally attractive Korean females, but I didn't see as many as I would've liked. There were some pretty-hot Korean females, though, especially outside of Seoul.

I visited Seoul, for a couple of days and, found the women to be a bit arrogant and materialistic. That's not surprising considering how 'Western' the capital city is. I did like the atmosphere of Itaewon, which is the nighclub/expat hangout in Korea. It's also the gay/lesbian/transvestite center in the country. I didn't like the "Hooker-Hill" area, though. I found it to be a disgusting place filled with run-down hookers and sleazy expats and American soldiers.

I liked the places outside of Seoul; especially Inchon, Suwon, Kwangju and Pusan. The women there seemed much less materialistic than the women in Seoul. They also seem more family-oriented than Western women. But it still concerning to see how so many young Korean women are becoming more feminist and 'anti-male' than the older generations. :(

Suwon is a really nice place: full of ancient forts, sightseeing and a nice, small--city feel. It also has a P4P scene and a Red-Light district--but they don't cater to non-Koreans. Interestingly, many Korean hoes do not associate with non-Korean/non-Asian men, because it is seen as 'shameful' for Korean women to do so...

I also like Inchon because of the close proximity to the sea and the small-big city feel. Same with Pusan and Kwangju.

I will post more--and even some pictures--in the future....


100,000 Koreans have already colonized the PI islands. Koreans are nationalistic and tend to stick to their own groups. They love to party all night and drop out all their courses during the semester. They're rude and racist towards native Filipinos - fights break out in Cebu and Dgte. all the time. Koreans can really kick some ass. I believe Koreans are smarter and more hard-working than the average lazy Filipino. Maybe I'm a traitor. But I call it as I see it. I don't sugar-coat and don't BS anyone here. What do Filipino men do all day? We all know the answer to that one.

But SKs are already 1st world Westernized Asian race but should be proud to have modernized so quickly after the Korean War.
Life is beautiful.
Franco
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:56 pm
Location: Cebu, Philippines

Postby Traveler » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:17 am

Video of a black guy going crazy on a bus in Korea after someone said something racist to him:

http://www.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=pDzlaAiBgnc
Traveler
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:23 am

Re: Trip Report--S. Korea

Postby Bao3niang » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Personally I did not get discriminated against back in China for being overseas Chinese. I was met with much curiosity from the native Chinese who have never been outside China. They were eager to know about life in the West, but it is sad to see that many of them believe the Anglo-Saxon countries are paradises on earth.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 am
Location: Beijing, China

Re: Trip Report--S. Korea

Postby Travelin Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Still waiting on those pictures Zboy1...
Begin with the end in mind
Travelin Man
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:37 am

Next

Return to Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest