Been out of the USA for the last two years

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Been out of the USA for the last two years

Post by tamdrin12 »

I have been living outside the U.S.A. for over two years now. I first came to northern India in order to continue my studies of the Tibetan language. Something I started nearly ten years ago. First of all let me say that learning a new language is probably the best way to broaden your horizons socially, culturally, and spiritually. If you are thinking about going abroad and staying somewhere for a long time this is really a must. I can’t even count how many new friends I have made both male and female by beginning to study languages. It truly opens up a new world of possibilities.

Its interesting how quickly life abroad has become normal. After two years it feels like outside America is my home. During my first stay in India, despite rumors of its conservativeness I was able secure a constant stream of female attention. Several girls were interested in long term prospects (i.e. marriage) but several were also open enough to have sex with me even when that wasn’t a possibility. These were Nepali girls. One girl, a 20 year old still living with her parents even had me spend the night in her room.. and her parents gave her permission for this. I guess I was sort of lucky because in general Nepali’s are known to be relatively conservative given their Hindu background. In my first nine months I had sex with 4 different girls and had interest from several others, some very beautiful, but they would have needed to have been in long term relationships to have done anything more.

After nine months in India in Nepal I was running out of money and my father tired of depositing to my bank account. I decided to seek out employment teaching English somewhere in Asia. Taiwan seemed like the best place to do this so off I went. I had been thinking about China but a friend from Taiwan said that I would enjoy Taiwan more than China. I went there and stayed in a dormitory /hostel type setting. It took me three months to get work. Finally I had a job working for days a week 4 hours each time. So 16 hours a week.. sometimes up to twenty. This didn’t give me a lot of money but it gave me enough to survive and still save a little. I have to say for the first probably 5 or six months I though Taiwan was great. It was after the six month marker that I started to get down about the place. At first I dated a few girls that I met on the net. They were open and friendly enough although not terribly good looking. I am white.. and was 29 years old at the time. I am 5’7â€￾. After about 5 months in Taiwan I made a girlfriend with a girl who was living in Taiwan but originally from elsewhere in Asia and Chinese descent. I stayed with her for about 9 months. It was great getting sex whenever I wanted to and having company while I was in Taiwan.
The things that bothered me about Taiwan were its environment and workaholic culture as well as lack of nature. The people, I guess it is a Chinese culture thing, literally live to work and worship money.. The environment is quite ugly in Taiwan, a lot of factories and very hot in the summer. All the buildings are pretty ugly. Anyway this stuff doesn’t bother one at first but if you were to plan to move there for more than a year it starts to grind on you. Overall Taiwanese people are friendly to foreigners but often times it doesn’t go beyond a very superficial level. I didn’t have any other foreigner teachers teaching at my school which actually got to me after a while. The work was in general was very easy.

I called myself the “rent-a-foreignerâ€￾ because I had the job of going to all these schools to show up for a few hours as the token white English teacher. I did little to no preparation work for my classes and was never really hassled for doing a bad job or praised for doing a good job. My manager didn’t really seem to care.

Because I didn’t want to stay in Taiwan I decided to leave my girlfriend. I just didn’t think it would work out long term and I didn’t really want to take her back to America. I did actually care a lot about her and she still contacts me hoping I will return to Taiwan or that we can work something out. I have come back to India to continue my studies. Out of all the countries I have visited I feel happiest in India and Nepal. I find the people to be friendly and if you know where to go you can stay away from abhorrent conditions. Now that I know Tibetan and a little Nepali it would be very easy for me to get a new girlfriend or to get married. That is if that is what I wanted. I have a greater network of friendships and sense of community here in India and Nepal than I would probably have in the US. Part of it is my involvement with the languages. I don’t think anyone is lonely in India. Anyone can get married and men have much more power than women. Anyway just thought I would share some of my experiences in hopes that others may benefit from them. Let me know if you have any questions.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Re: Been out of the USA for the last two years

Post by nicho12 »

hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Good detailed story and quite inspirational. Thanks!! :)
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

someone from india said its hard to get women there. Maybe though as a foreigner you had the advantage, the same reason why we have one in phil.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Others may dismiss your experience in India but I find it very compelling. I dated a girl from eastern India (Bengal) when I was in college. God she was a hotty. I loved that curvy body and brown skin, the long flowing black hair. I had to court her for two months before she'd even let me kiss her. It took two more months of dating before we made love, but when we did... oh man. That was the best sex I ever had before or since, and not because she was some kind of whore in bed or something. It's hard to explain but her sweet innocence combined with her voluptuous and exotic beauty was just the biggest turn on ever. It didn't work out because I f*cked it up by being an immature idiot, as I was wont to do in those days. I should have asked her to marry me when I had the chance. I shouldn't have flirted with other women. I would later graduate, get a job, marry an american woman and waste 15 miserable years of my life on a failed marriage.

Anyway life teaches us painful lessons sometimes and we only learn in hindsight.

But getting back to the point, I love the look of south asian women, get a kick out of their culture and bollywood and all that, and I LOVE the food. Maybe I should plan a trip there.

Tell us more about your experiences there.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Guys keep in mind.. While it is true that a majority of Indian women are conservative and are under the protection of men. I was getting with Nepali women who were living in India. There are several areas in the northern Himalayan regions where many Nepali people live. Again even in conservative societies it is a case by case basis. I have heard you can meet good and more liberal women in some of the southern regions of India such as Mumbai or Bangalore... The truth is though that India is probably the easiest place in the world to get married if that is what you were looking for ... You wouldn't even have to ask the girl you would have to ask her father... how do you feel about that! ahhaha
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Guys keep in mind.. While it is true that a majority of Indian women are conservative and are under the protection of men. I was getting with Nepali women who were living in India. There are several areas in the northern Himalayan regions where many Nepali people live. Again even in conservative societies it is a case by case basis. I have heard you can meet good and more liberal women in some of the southern regions of India such as Mumbai or Bangalore... The truth is though that India is probably the easiest place in the world to get married if that is what you were looking for ... You wouldn't even have to ask the girl you would have to ask her father... how do you feel about that! ahhaha
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I'm from India...Your experience was mostly from Nepal or with Nepalese or North East Indian Women...from the Himalayan region....They look more like Thai's, Chinese and Filipinos, they are compared to India quite open minded and most of the go go girls in metro cities in India come from that region....your story is believable...

Nepal is not part of India and even though they have hindu religion, they look more Chinese, Thai and nightlife is more vibrant than in India...They do not vibe with rest of India..they are more cool...

Man...you really went too deep into India that most Indians don't venture into...:)

Here is what another American said about North East India, The Himalayan region

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Lane

One of the most technically accomplished players of all time with a melodic ear, Lane was named by the American Guitar Institute as the "greatest guitarist who ever lived".

Shawn Lane the legendary guitarist and composer spent time jamming with the locals of Shillong[11][12] in February, 2003. In a comment made later about Aizawl and Shillong, he said:

“Man, this place barely exists on the map and there are all these wonderful people coming out of the woodworks with Powers of 10 albums and posters that I haven't even seen in America...(T)hey know everything I have ever done, every tune I have ever played... it's just bizarre, simply inconceivable.[13]

Shilong is called the rock capital of India...

----
Nepali women, North East Indian women look more like Chinese, Filipinas as shown in images below...They are not like rest of 95% of India..

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

starchild.. Where in India are you from? Whats the scene like there? Yes it seems that Nepali's are much more open minded than Indian's. For Indian women there is simply too much pressure on them that if they are caught doing anything it can ruin their lives. Although there is exceptions to the rule..

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I know the Indian people mostly from Malaysia and Singapore, but I have benn in India and it is difficult to consider them as 'one group'.

There are plenty of Indian groups, with different language, moral values, looking often very different from each other etc.

Some Indians are very reclusive, like the Sikh. Others are often talkative, but not much interested in private relationship with foreigners, only into business, Singhalese come to my mind.

Some of them are Hindu, others are Christians. Tamil Indians are sometimes so dark skinned, that they are darker than black people. Some Indians like to drink alcohol, others are totally against it. etc. etc. Some have an independent way of life, many however depend totally to what other family members and especially the mother are telling them to do.

Simply said, in India you find any kind of person you can imagine, similar to USA. I met Indian people highly intelligent in IT and banking and always busy - I met Indians, totally idiots and lazy, just intelligent enough to do some farmwork in the plantages.

There is no general rule about India, the country is too wide, with too many people - You have to travel and to see yourself, and be aware to explore India takes you a lot of time.

My problem in India was always the impression, that the country, especially in the cities, almost everywhere, is very very dirty.
India is not known for cleanliness.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

tamdrin12 wrote:starchild.. Where in India are you from? Whats the scene like there? Yes it seems that Nepali's are much more open minded than Indian's. For Indian women there is simply too much pressure on them that if they are caught doing anything it can ruin their lives. Although there is exceptions to the rule..
I'm from southern part of India..Kerala....Its conservative here....However, The place is very evolved with GDP/HDI matching with western countries...from outside...its very green ...Kerala has become the number 1 tourist destination in India right now...It is the most developed, least corrupt, most educated place in whole of India...however, due to it being mixed with India...it does not get to develop at a much faster pace....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

if you get a chance you should visit Kerala...Its totally, completely different from rest of India...for tourist some pimps supply local girls but they are not safe or clean ....

Its hard to believe Kamasutra came from India...One time...India was the place to be to get laid...:) ..to make money to immigrate .....now the place is in ruins....much like whats happening in America..which is in decline now....I don't know how they do it...but the PTB, elites have the power to transform a place to a complete shit in a century or few decades easily....

Looking at past history of India...Its impossible to believe the transformation.....everything was in abundance here along with deep philosophical thoughts and richness combined with fun....Zero, Numeric, Algebra came from India... music, arts were already highly developed ..smoking weed was no big deal which is even today in India but the laws have been created to restrict its usage, hemp, weed oil were used for centuries for health benefits...and then everything turned into a complete garbage....No one wants to destroy their own home...so there must be some external force that does this to countries ..

Good luck with your travel...if you come back to India...travel to southern part...its very different from northern part of India...
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Yohan wrote:I know the Indian people mostly from Malaysia and Singapore, but I have benn in India and it is difficult to consider them as 'one group'.

There are plenty of Indian groups, with different language, moral values, looking often very different from each other etc.

Some Indians are very reclusive, like the Sikh. Others are often talkative, but not much interested in private relationship with foreigners, only into business, Singhalese come to my mind.

Some of them are Hindu, others are Christians. Tamil Indians are sometimes so dark skinned, that they are darker than black people. Some Indians like to drink alcohol, others are totally against it. etc. etc. Some have an independent way of life, many however depend totally to what other family members and especially the mother are telling them to do.

Simply said, in India you find any kind of person you can imagine, similar to USA. I met Indian people highly intelligent in IT and banking and always busy - I met Indians, totally idiots and lazy, just intelligent enough to do some farmwork in the plantages.

There is no general rule about India, the country is too wide, with too many people - You have to travel and to see yourself, and be aware to explore India takes you a lot of time.

My problem in India was always the impression, that the country, especially in the cities, almost everywhere, is very very dirty.
True..India is like 1.2 billion ..The population of entire North America and Europe combined....Compared to China...which has more population...India is more diverse due to it in being immigrated by many races over the years from the west...

India in general is very dirty plus the heat ...can you imagine the worse :) ..its here in India already....However, there are some good places to see from a historical point of view....
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yohan wrote:I know the Indian people mostly from Malaysia and Singapore, but I have benn in India and it is difficult to consider them as 'one group'.

I've met some really slutty Westernized Indian/Paki girls in the USA and the United Kingdom--even in China, haha... So, yeah, Indians can be quite different from each other, depending on location and Westernization...
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

starchild5 wrote:Its hard to believe Kamasutra came from India...One time...India was the place to be to get laid...:) ..to make money to immigrate .....now the place is in ruins....much like whats happening in America..which is in decline now....I don't know how they do it...but the PTB, elites have the power to transform a place to a complete shit in a century or few decades easily....

Looking at past history of India...Its impossible to believe the transformation.....everything was in abundance here along with deep philosophical thoughts and richness combined with fun....Zero, Numeric, Algebra came from India... music, arts were already highly developed ..smoking weed was no big deal which is even today in India but the laws have been created to restrict its usage, hemp, weed oil were used for centuries for health benefits...and then everything turned into a complete garbage....No one wants to destroy their own home...so there must be some external force that does this to countries...
Well heck that's easy to explain: the muslim invasions.

Even though the various Islamic empires were ultimately all pushed back out of India, they forever left their mark on Indian society.

Maybe they did India a favor; the society that grew up from the ashes of the Mughal empire was a traditional society that valued female chastity and loyalty to one's husband, family, etc. The somewhat hedonistic India that existed before the Islamic invasions would have probably self-destructed as such societies tend to do (see: Roman Empire). Instead we got an Indian culture that is strong and vibrant but less vulnerable to the kind of cultural suicide that all western countries and Japan embrace.