Pop Music Abroad

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Pop Music Abroad

Post by Jester »

Ritmoson Latino is one of the music channels get here at the beach in Ensenada Mexico, on the charmingly-old-fashioned analog cable tv company called Varivision.

Here's a video I just saw this morning, that got me to stop typing and actually start watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPsnsh8d5M

Yes the production designer has managed to subtly include Illuminati colors (red and black) along with gratuitous pyramids in the background. So yeah...

But still, like quite a few Latin videos, it was different, enjoyable to watch.

I remember back in the day, maybe early 1990's or so, when watching TV in Los Angeles, California, USA I was stunned to find more and better White rock music on Latin TV than on US channels MTV and VH1. I am referring to videos from various obscure White countries in Northern Europe, like Germany and so on, that really do not exist for most Murrcans.
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Post by manly5000 »

I think pop culture abroad in general will be a completely different experience than in the USA... maybe it's simply due to the fact that I've been completely ruined on, and have nothing but the utmost hatred for, everything and anything related to American pop culture, but I actually look forward to loosening up a bit and immersing myself in all the culture as soon as I set foot south of the border.

For instance, I'd rather slit my wrists than even think about watching American Idol or Dancing with the Stars... but I absolutely LOVE Sabado Gigante and watch it every Saturday night!!!

It seems like it would be rather similar to those American shows, but since my heart lies in Latin America, I can't get enough of it.

Dying to find similar variety shows in Portugues from Brasil... Altas Horas is one but I never know when it's coming on it seems.