Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


My self confidence has increased since being abroad.

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster
Posts: 192
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 2:12 pm

My self confidence has increased since being abroad.

Post by tamdrin12 » August 2nd, 2014, 12:06 pm

I've been outside of the USA for nearly 2.5 years now. One thing I notice is that a lot of Asian people respect me for the person who I am. I don't have to try to be some phony f***er. Heck the rules of American social interactions don't even apply here so it really doesn't matter...

It doesn't hurt that a lot of girls have responded positively to me. Even if I approach them on the streets they will usually smile, be happy to chat, and give me their number...

They also tell me I'm handsome quite frequently.. which rarely happened in the USA..

Anyway the message I want to give is don't let your positive view of yourself be influenced by a sick culture and people with warped views about what the positive characteristics of a person are. For example the women who like bad boys.. and then the tons of posers who are molding themselves to fit those roles...




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: My self confidence has increased since being abroad.

Post by Jester » August 2nd, 2014, 5:56 pm

tamdrin12 wrote:I've been outside of the USA for nearly 2.5 years now. One thing I notice is that a lot of Asian people respect me for the person who I am. I don't have to try to be some phony f***er. Heck the rules of American social interactions don't even apply here so it really doesn't matter...

It doesn't hurt that a lot of girls have responded positively to me. Even if I approach them on the streets they will usually smile, be happy to chat, and give me their number...

They also tell me I'm handsome quite frequently.. which rarely happened in the USA..

Anyway the message I want to give is don't let your positive view of yourself be influenced by a sick culture and people with warped views about what the positive characteristics of a person are. For example the women who like bad boys.. and then the tons of posers who are molding themselves to fit those roles...
Glad you found a home!

Congratulations.

What country or region?

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster
Posts: 192
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Post by tamdrin12 » August 3rd, 2014, 11:45 am

Hello Jester. I've been in Northern India, Taiwan (Taipei) and Nepal.
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all

KyleMack
Freshman Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: April 17th, 2014, 5:46 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by KyleMack » August 5th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Good for you, glad to read this.

MrMark1972
Freshman Poster
Posts: 92
Joined: April 18th, 2014, 8:41 pm
Location: The United States of Canada

Post by MrMark1972 » August 5th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Thats awesome man...happy to hear that.Gives me another push to hit the Phils this winter!

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Post by Taco » August 5th, 2014, 9:51 pm

I'm glad to hear of your success.

A boost in confidence is the first thing that happens to you when you go to the Philippines. I had more people tell me(and my wife) I was handsome my first week in the Philippines than I had my entire life. Poor people will look up to you but middle class people won't.

Mr S
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2398
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 11:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane

Post by Mr S » August 6th, 2014, 7:46 am

In PI only the old women say that I'm handsome, the younger women are too shy usually to say anything directly to my face. I don't consider gogo girls or GRO's as viable ego strokers cause they say handsome to almost every guy they meet probably. Gays will hit on me in annoying ways but I consider them more of a nuisance like a fly.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

The
Junior Poster
Posts: 725
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 6:21 am

Post by The » September 7th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Congrats man....I need to get out of the Matrix myself...

User avatar
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3092
Joined: September 20th, 2013, 7:38 am

Post by droid » September 7th, 2014, 6:21 pm

My self-confidence has increased since I know I have options abroad haha; even though I haven't moved permanently yet.

I knew this many years ago before finding this site, but now that the possibility is real and is about to happen, and after reading so many wonderful posts and feedback here, it's taking effect.
The beauty of supply and demand.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?

KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster
Posts: 155
Joined: June 9th, 2014, 1:53 am
Location: East Asia and California

Post by KokujinKrusader » September 7th, 2014, 6:27 pm

droid wrote:My self-confidence has increased since I know I have options abroad haha; even though I haven't moved permanently yet.

I knew this many years ago before finding this site, but now that the possibility is real and is about to happen, and after reading so many wonderful posts and feedback here, it's taking effect.
The beauty of supply and demand.
Same here, despite the numerous sources that want to break down my confidence given my race. I've been there, I know that racism exists in my destinations, but I know that opportunity exists too.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Post by zboy1 » September 7th, 2014, 8:00 pm

KokujinKrusader wrote:
droid wrote:My self-confidence has increased since I know I have options abroad haha; even though I haven't moved permanently yet.

I knew this many years ago before finding this site, but now that the possibility is real and is about to happen, and after reading so many wonderful posts and feedback here, it's taking effect.
The beauty of supply and demand.
Same here, despite the numerous sources that want to break down my confidence given my race. I've been there, I know that racism exists in my destinations, but I know that opportunity exists too.
Add me to the list as well...

The increase in confidence is substantial, whenever I go overseas but it depends on the country: if I go to a White-dominated country, then I don't feel the confidence due to being a minority and the substantial racism of White/Anglo countries. On the other hand, if I were to go to a country in Africa, Asia, and parts of Latin America, then it becomes applicable.

Travelin Man
Freshman Poster
Posts: 41
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 3:37 am

Self Confidence

Post by Travelin Man » September 18th, 2014, 5:20 am

I had a similar experience as well. My social life improved ten fold and my self confidence followed. I constantly had women asking ME out and offering to pay for dinner and movies! Imagine that happening in the USA?! lol

I even had women offering to pay for me to go on trips with them throughout China or down to Thailand! It's another world over there that many single guys in Western countries know nothing about.

The only problem I had is making little money compared to US, but what is money if you have no one to share it with right?!
Begin with the end in mind

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Self Confidence

Post by Jester » September 22nd, 2014, 4:47 am

Travelin Man wrote:
.... but what is money if you have no one to share it with right?!
Exactly.

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2697
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: Self Confidence

Post by Yohan » September 22nd, 2014, 5:39 am

Travelin Man wrote:The only problem I had is making little money compared to US, but what is money if you have no one to share it with right?!
USA is not the only place for earning money, and not the top-place in income per person either.

There is not so much difference in income comparing USA, Western/Northern Europa, Australia and Japan.

About social life in USA, you cannot trust anybody there, even not your US-born wife and your children or your own parents and relatives next to you. The US-society is totally broken, it is also known to be especially bad in UK - it is about a feminist society, where men are 2nd class and their existence is merely considered to be useful to pay bills.

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2697
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: Self Confidence

Post by Yohan » September 22nd, 2014, 5:47 am

Jester wrote:
Travelin Man wrote: .... but what is money if you have no one to share it with right?!
Exactly.
Well, yes and no.

While we agree, that money cannot buy everything - Money cannot buy health, but it is a BIG difference, if you are sick and have money or if you are sick and have no money. Just one example.

Money makes your life easier. It makes it also easier to move away from a zone with broken social life...

More money is often equal to more mobility, more freedom, if carefully applied.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories”