Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

The Little Chicken

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

The Little Chicken

Postby Erik Episcopo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am

When I began teaching in Taiwan, I had of wild and crazy students. One of my most rambunctious rascals was named Theo.

"One kid, named Theo, was to first to notice me. He walked up to me and without saying a word pulled down his pants and pointed below his abdomen, “This is my little chicken!â€￾ he declared enthusiastically. I was stunned. There was nothing in the training manual about this! Is it normal for kids here to just pull their pants down on a whim? What is the protocol for this?

Luckily, I was saved by one of the assistant Chinese teachers. It is common in most schools to provide their foreign teachers with a native co-teacher to help out in situations such as these. She quickly scolded the boy and apologized for his behavior.

I asked her what he meant by “little chicken.â€￾ She explained that in Chinese a man’s privates are informally referred to as a “little chicken.â€￾ This was my first impression of teaching in a foreign country and all my previous expectations of what teaching would be like began crumble after that."

More Crazy Student Stories

Have you had any psychotic students?
Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

Postby sea_dragon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Teaching English to little kids seems like a nightmare.
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Postby Erik Episcopo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 pm

haha Sometimes it can be, but other times it's great. It really depends on the class
Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah, that's teaching little kids in Asia for you. I didn't like teaching my youngest students. It wasn't even really teaching. It was pure entertainment. Any English taught/learned was coincidental. Next time, I will look for a university job in China. They pay less, but there is less office politics and you get to teach older students who at least in theory are more interested in learning.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Little Chicken

Postby matthewcoury » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Erik Episcopo wrote:When I began teaching in Taiwan, I had of wild and crazy students. One of my most rambunctious rascals was named Theo.

"One kid, named Theo, was to first to notice me. He walked up to me and without saying a word pulled down his pants and pointed below his abdomen, “This is my little chicken!â€￾ he declared enthusiastically. I was stunned. There was nothing in the training manual about this! Is it normal for kids here to just pull their pants down on a whim? What is the protocol for this?

Luckily, I was saved by one of the assistant Chinese teachers. It is common in most schools to provide their foreign teachers with a native co-teacher to help out in situations such as these. She quickly scolded the boy and apologized for his behavior.

I asked her what he meant by “little chicken.â€￾ She explained that in Chinese a man’s privates are informally referred to as a “little chicken.â€￾ This was my first impression of teaching in a foreign country and all my previous expectations of what teaching would be like began crumble after that."

More Crazy Student Stories

Have you had any psychotic students?

hahaha thats actually hilarious man...when you said that he said little chicken i figured that out right away....if he'd have done that in america theyd have sent him to juvie haha
matthewcoury
Freshman Poster

Postby Erik Episcopo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 am

Yeah, some of my students were insane... although it is quite funny at times
Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

Postby KokujinKrusader » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Teaching little kids is a drag just about everywhere. I would assume that teaching them a foreign language in a foreign land, especially when they get the idea that they don't have to take you seriously is even worse.

I much prefer teaching adults, or at least high school kids.
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Return to Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories