Droid´s South America report (Ecuador + Colombia)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Droid´s SouthAmerica report (Ecuador + Colombia)

Post by droid »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:no homo but your a good looking guy you would clean up in asia for sure. You have a look though that wont stand out in south america I think. If you were blonde and blue eyed maybe youd get special attention there.
I'm kind of a wog but I have brown hair so Asian girls see me as whitey but also with the 'latin' appeal i guess. I think asia's gonna be my bread and butter like you say.

Blonde/blue guys don't really stand out here in southamerica since there's already a percentage of white population. The few blonde/blue expats I've seen around have been mostly wandering by themselves.
newlifeinphilippines wrote:Why are the slovakians nicer to you? Thats odd. Personally I dont like people south of the border so it must be a culture thing. Russian and eastern women are a bit too picky and masculine for me but id rather go there than latin america
I think they've been brainwashed by the multicult stuff or something to go for the exotic "italian" types etc. [Also their men are not as good looking as germanic types (same as in russia)]. I wonder if Ukranian girls are the same, unless turk pua types have already ruined it all lol.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

droid wrote:
Jester wrote:
Just saw the pics all the way through the thread.
great pics.
+1 for pics....
.....Manizales looks great
Thanks, I hope you saw the albums on shutterfly.
Yeah I sure did - nice
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

droid wrote: Blonde/blue guys don't really stand out here in southamerica since there's already a percentage of white population. The few blonde/blue expats I've seen around have been mostly wandering by themselves.
Huh? Don't know about Colombia (never been there) but in Peru people with blue eyes are very rare in most areas. And yes, I have blue eyes and got ENDLESS positive comments on my eyes LOL (although I am not blonde). Even guys and little kids told me I had beautiful eyes :D. Now that doesn't mean women will throw themselves at you just because you have blue eyes (they won't) but yeah, they do help. I am pretty sure they would help in Ecuador too because it is a country that is extremely similar to Peru both culturally and racially (although the food is pretty different).
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Droid´s South America report (Ecuador + Colombia)

Post by droid »

Peru is more inca-based (as well as bolivia), so you have more of an exotic value.
But in Col/Ec you'll be just another dude, although it changes from city to city.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

droid wrote:Peru is more inca-based (as well as bolivia), so you have more of an exotic value.
But in Col/Ec you'll be just another dude, although it changes from city to city.
I have been to Ecuador (Guayaquil and Salinas). Most people look exactly the same as in northern Peru, although there are a lot more black people in Guayaquil (black people are very rare in most of Peru). I went with my Peruvian girlfriend and everyone thought she was Ecuadorian, but from Quito (because of her accent).

And the racial mix is different depending on the part of Peru you are talking about. Most people in northern Peru are mestizo (mixed race), not pure "Inca". Southern Peru, especially in the Sierra (highlands), is more pure amerindian (like Bolivia). About 5% of Peruvians are white actually, but you only see them in the upscale areas of the big cities (like Miraflores or Asia in Lima). White Peruvians:

I have never been to Colombia but from what I have heard it does have a different racial mix than Peru (a lot more European and African blood).
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Very nice thanks i did not know that about Peru. I wish I had time to check that out; as well as brazil of course. But it's gonna be impossible.

But anyhow I myself haven't seen blonde-blue guys get special treatment over here, as they're not really a rarity [like it is for the chinese of course], there's locals like that. They'd actually have to look good to stand out, not just having the color combination.
Having said that I've mostly seen "game" and familiarity work. Again, the hot chicks I've seen are with average or below average dudes.

Also newlife compounded things a bit as far as my experience goes; I do get receptiveness/looks in some cities (Quito, Manizales), I was just complaining about Bogota specifically yesterday.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

hurry up and go to china. :D
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I was supposed to be there by july '14 LOl.
Things always take twice as long as you think; between quitting my job, finishing fixing my house, and doing this preliminary traveling it's already '15 crap.
I remember one of my first posts was about "leaving to china in six months", it's more like 1.5 years. LMAO maybe i have some of Winston's demons lurking lol.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

chibolo wrote:
droid wrote: Blonde/blue guys don't really stand out here in southamerica since there's already a percentage of white population. The few blonde/blue expats I've seen around have been mostly wandering by themselves.
Huh? Don't know about Colombia (never been there) but in Peru people with blue eyes are very rare in most areas. And yes, I have blue eyes and got ENDLESS positive comments on my eyes LOL (although I am not blonde). Even guys and little kids told me I had beautiful eyes :D. Now that doesn't mean women will throw themselves at you just because you have blue eyes (they won't) but yeah, they do help. I am pretty sure they would help in Ecuador too because it is a country that is extremely similar to Peru both culturally and racially (although the food is pretty different).
Colombia has a fair share of people with fair skin/light hair/light eyes, especially in Medellin which had a bigger European migration. Not as much as Argentina, of course, but enough they can be noticed. They are usually associated, correctly so, to upper class families of purer European ancestry. And if ther faces and bodies are in good working order, their looks are considered one level higher than the - no less hot if you ask me! - short and curvy brunette mestizo type. My wife took after her father more, but her maternal cousins - one male and one female, both a few years younger than her - both have pale skin and smooth facial features, long and slightly upward-pointing nose, light brown hair and green eyes. Their grandfather was a French citizen with exactly the same features they have. They both used to model when they were kids and, especially Lina (the girl) is a real cutie.

A few examples of fair skinned Paisas (from my usual encyclopedia of nightlife, Pegateya.com)

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

droid wrote:I was supposed to be there by july '14 LOl.
Things always take twice as long as you think; between quitting my job, finishing fixing my house, and doing this preliminary traveling it's already '15 crap.
I remember one of my first posts was about "leaving to china in six months", it's more like 1.5 years. LMAO maybe i have some of Winston's demons lurking lol.
I have the same problem - been on HA for 5+ years... only been out of USSA 1 year.....

yeah maybe it's Winston's demons.... got too close and caught something from him?

:lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

publicduende wrote: Colombia has a fair share of people with fair skin/light hair/light eyes, especially in Medellin which had a bigger European migration. Not as much as Argentina, of course, but enough they can be noticed. They are usually associated, correctly so, to upper class families of purer European ancestry. And if ther faces and bodies are in good working order, their looks are considered one level higher than the - no less hot if you ask me! - short and curvy brunette mestizo type. My wife took after her father more, but her maternal cousins - one male and one female, both a few years younger than her - both have pale skin and smooth facial features, long and slightly upward-pointing nose, light brown hair and green eyes. Their grandfather was a French citizen with exactly the same features they have. They both used to model when they were kids and, especially Lina (the girl) is a real cutie.

A few examples of fair skinned Paisas (from my usual encyclopedia of nightlife, Pegateya.com)
Yeah, I have heard about the "paisa" region of Colombia having a lot of European blood. On my first trip to Peru in 2006 I actually met a Colombian girl (who was really into me btw LOL) and she looked like a white girl: blue eyes, brown hair. I didn't ask her what part of Colombia she was from though.

You say the pure white people in Colombia usually belong to the upper classes? Sounds similar to Peru. Like I said before, the "pitucos" (upper class Peruvians) are also white. I have seen quite a few blonde, blue eyed Peruvians in Miraflores, Lima.

Peruvian model Milett Figueroa:

The general population in Peru has more amerindian blood than Colombia though (based on what I have heard).

Personally I love mestiza women too, not just white girls. Mestiza girls from Peru:

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Wow those are some hot chicks you're posting guys.
publicduende wrote:(from my usual encyclopedia of nightlife, Pegateya.com)
Lol

I don't want this to turn into yet another race thread but there's one last point I wanted to make on that:
There's not only "mestizo" indian+white but also there's an addmix of turkish and lebanese in these countries (from the 1800's I believe). Something which no one talks about and for which there isn't even a name. That's why you also see some of those hot brunettes that don't really look native nor really euro.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

droid wrote:Wow those are some hot chicks you're posting guys.
Lol

I don't want this to turn into yet another race thread but there's one last point I wanted to make on that:
There's not only "mestizo" indian+white but also there's an addmix of turkish and lebanese in these countries (from the 1800's I believe). Something which no one talks about and for which there isn't even a name. That's why you also see some of those hot brunettes that don't really look native nor really euro.
Absolutely true. There's indeed a community of middle eastern migrants, but it's mostly on the Caribbean coast. You want a name? No less than Shakira.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

droid wrote:Wow those are some hot chicks you're posting guys.
Lol

In Spain during the 1970's, Spaniards still identified anyone from former Ottoman-ruled areas as a "turco" or whatever. So this would include Moors, Arabs, Lebanese, Armenians, Syrians... despite the fact that, for example, most Lebanese immigrants at the time were Christians, with no Turkish blood.

So I have to suspect that modern South Americans may still casually categorize Middle Easterners in general, as Turks.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Absolutely true. There's indeed a community of middle eastern migrants, but it's mostly on the Caribbean coast. You want a name? No less than Shakira.
In Spain during the 1970's, Spaniards still identified anyone from former Ottoman-ruled areas as a "turco" or whatever. So this would include Moors, Arabs, Lebanese, Armenians, Syrians... despite the fact that, for example, most Lebanese immigrants at the time were Christians, with no Turkish blood.
So I have to suspect that modern South Americans may still casually categorize Middle Easterners in general, as Turks.
Shakira Mubarak i believe. But i think those are more recent.
Well the Antiochia region is named after the Roman name for turkey (antioch) if i'm not mistaken.
I would think that's why there's saddam hussein looking guys (Escobar, juan valdez etc) there as well, aside from the whiter ones we've discussed.