Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

In Hong Kong now - Winston and Dianne

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Winston going to China next week!

Postby WorldTraveler » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Travelin Man wrote:
I'm bringing a friend with me from the US and we will go to Hong Kong, Macau and maybe Shenzhen for the summer. Then we will head over to Singapore where will try to get jobs and make a living. Let me know if you want to meet up. You should take Diane to Singapore one of these days. I'm sure she will enjoy it.

Please keep me informed. I'm also interested in working in that part of the world in IT. :D
WorldTraveler
Junior Poster

Re: Winston is in Hong Kong now!

Postby Winston » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 am

droid wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Winston wrote:I'm going to mention this on my review on happycow.net and dispute it with my credit card company. That'll show them. I should have just refused the charge at the time and made a fuss about it. But I was too nice. Weird people and country. What kind of first world modern country is this?!

Did you seriously pay for your lunch with an American credit card in China?
You can take the American dude out of America but you can't the American out of the dude!

lol
He keeps making the same mistake of using the card anywhere. i don't know why its so hard for him to get some cash out of the atm first.

Dude, don't you know anything? Going to the ATM is not free. Duh. It costs 11 USD in fees EVERYTIME I withdraw at an ATM. I don't want to rack up ATM fees like that. Duh. Don't you know anything? Why would you want to do that? Maybe you are jealous that you have no credit cards cause most of you guys have no credit cause you spend recklessly like most white guys do.

Yeah the credit cards charge a fee, but it's not anymore than the ATM fees will charge. Either way, you gotta pay fees. But 11 dollars per withdrawal is too much. Plus with credit cards I can file disputes if anything goes wrong.

I don't see how Rock can stand incurring ATM fees all the time. Maybe you all should ask him.

Why haven't any of you commented at the ridiculous overcharging above that I've NEVER experienced in any other country?

Btw, there are many white guys here who look like Edward Snowden that have hot Chinese girlfriends. They must be computer programmer corporate geeks. lol
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 am

droid wrote:Winston, american service might feel fake or whatnot sometimes but it's undoubtedly one of if not the best in the world.
in other places it can be "take it or leave" type of stuff.

Also, you sound whiny and demanding, are you like that all the time man? I never argue with those serving me food...
Try to post on positive stuff too.

But Americans expect ridiculous tips. In HK they add 10 percent service charge and then have a "tip" line on the credit card slip. I wasn't complaining about the service. I was complaining about being charged for ridiculous things like free complimentary appetizers and demanding 15 HKD extra for making a dish vegetarian for me. NOWHERE I've been does that. Would YOU like that?

I have a right to complain about stuff that's wrong or inappropriate. Why do you believe that no complaining should be allowed? Even if it's justified and logical?

I did post positive stuff. I said HK is clean and safe and looks modern and has great tasting food. Didn't you read?

Doesn't it matter to you if my complaints are justified or not? Why do you make blanket statements that assume that all complaints should not exist? Wtf? Please explain logically.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby droid » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:46 am

You seem addicted to drama and over-complication Winston, starting with the vegetarian stuff.
You saved on the ATM fee but now you have to dispute the 15 bucks, including your time, which is worth A LOT more than that. That's why I put up with the debit atm fees, so i don't have to deal with dispute dramas. I take out as much as the thing will give me, say U$300 and pay $5 in my case, that's like 1.6% although in your case it would be 3%. I then put most of it away for the rest of the week or whatnot.
I've also been lucky that a couple dudes here needed to buy some stuff on ebay, so i would buy it for them and then they would just give me the pesos here.

Edit: I think i will get an HSBC international account before i head to China. It costs $200 bucks to open i believe and i think there's no withdrawal fees, and a lot more flexibility with less security blocking problems.

If I have cash and don't like something i can simply walk out of a place, although i never run into problems; i'm easy going man, if they bring me the wrong soup i'll take it as i eat almost everything. I value my time and peace.

I have a right to complain about stuff that's wrong or inappropriate. Why do you believe that no complaining should be allowed? Even if it's justified and logical?
I did post positive stuff. I said HK is clean and safe and looks modern and has great tasting food. Didn't you read?

You have a great point in that complaining should help improve things, but i also believe that in a free market you just vote with your feet and don't come back nor recommend the place and they should go out of business, without fuss.
Again, the overhead in time and energy is not worth it, you might as well put it in your business venture or what not.
One hour of you complaining might get you back a few bucks and some face, but the same hour put in the forum etc might represent hundreds/thousands for you. Choose your fights.

Maybe you are jealous that you have no credit cards cause most of you guys have no credit cause you spend recklessly like most white guys do.

What the hell? lol :mrgreen: what does that even mean man?
Like I was telling you in another thread, my policy is just to simplify, simplify, simplify.

I think since my background is in engineering i always account for a percentage of "losses" due to "friction", uncertainties, and people's f* ups. Once that's accepted and allotted i don't worry about it anymore. Lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Veteran Poster

Postby eurobrat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 am

Winston wrote:Maybe you are jealous that you have no credit cards cause most of you guys have no credit cause you spend recklessly like most white guys do.

I have 2 credit cards a VISA and AMEX, one has a limit of $4,500 and the other has a limit of $8,000.
I never use them, they sit there unused in my desk in the case of an emergency.

I would never pay for lunch with one unless the bill was over $200 and I wanted the points and was a business lunch.
How much was your bill I bet didn't even break $15.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Luc Furr,
You did not apologize within the 24 hours I gave you to do so. Therefore, you are now banned. Hope this serves as a warning to all about rehashing false lies that were debunked many times long ago.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby xiongmao » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm

> Btw, there are many white guys here who look like Edward Snowden that have hot Chinese girlfriends. They must be computer programmer corporate geeks. lol

Ha ha ha, there's hope for me after all.

Currency exchanging costs are a real downer to being happier abroad. I kept getting charged loads of fees when taking money out of my UK bank account when I was in Thailand.

The best thing I found was to get out a month's supply of money in one go. Also your own currency is generally more valuable overseas - don't get your Asian currency in the West.

One weird thing though - I went to a bar in Spain tonight and a beer was 1 euro. That's the same price as a supermarket beer in the UK, and 0.25 the price of a beer in a bar at home. It's also cheaper than it was in Thailand, although Thai bars had girls :mrgreen:.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Yohan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:57 am

eurobrat wrote:Did you seriously pay for your lunch with an American credit card in China?

Well, here in Japan, credit card payment became very popular - 20 years ago this was a rarity, limited to some expensive hotels, airlines etc.

Today you can pay even a cheap lunch with a credit card or buying some items in a supermarket or pay the taxi bill for a short ride etc.

I cannot comment about HongKong however, but I think the situation might be similar to Japan.

Snacks for payment are not so unusual in restaurants in some places in Asia. Usually the staff brings a basket with items/pricelist and if you take one item out and open it or take it with you, you will be charged for it, same with snacks in hotel rooms.

Today many cheap restaurants and business hotels in Japan are using vending machines for drinks and snacks.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Travelin Man » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:09 am

xiongmao wrote:> Btw, there are many white guys here who look like Edward Snowden that have hot Chinese girlfriends. They must be computer programmer corporate geeks. lol

Ha ha ha, there's hope for me after all.

Currency exchanging costs are a real downer to being happier abroad. I kept getting charged loads of fees when taking money out of my UK bank account when I was in Thailand.

The best thing I found was to get out a month's supply of money in one go. Also your own currency is generally more valuable overseas - don't get your Asian currency in the West.

One weird thing though - I went to a bar in Spain tonight and a beer was 1 euro. That's the same price as a supermarket beer in the UK, and 0.25 the price of a beer in a bar at home. It's also cheaper than it was in Thailand, although Thai bars had girls :mrgreen:.

Hey guys I recommend Charles Schwab online bank. They refund your international ATM fees anywhere in the world. I've already created my account with them in preparation for my summer trip. The only downer is you can't deposit any physical cash into your account.
Begin with the end in mind
Travelin Man
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 am

...if I had to live in HK, I'd get a tent and hide on Lantou Island. @_@

See openrice.com for restaurant guides. I wanted an egg sandwich at " Australian Dairy Company" and my hosts took me to Bubba Gump instead. X_X That was about as bad as the time when I was going out with this girl in Taipei and she decided to take me to "NY Bagels", commenting that I was probably too ABC to eat the local fare.

Years ago on this forum folks commented that they would much prefer to have rude Russian barista instead of American starbucks superficial smiles. Well, if you wanted direct, there ya go.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:27 pm

I'll be in Shenzhen, China in two days. I'm very excited. Any advice?

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Rock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:42 am

Winston wrote:I'll be in Shenzhen, China in two days. I'm very excited. Any advice?

Winston, I hope you can get further inland than Shenzhen. It's a border city after all and kinda sanitized.

Try to take high speed rail up to Guangzhou to see a more chaotic and interesting side to China. It's only 90 minutes I think. Then you could consider Changxia or even Xiamen (where your Hokkien dialect will be of great use).

There's so much to explore! Hope you make it past Shenzhen.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby starchild5 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:43 am

Winston wrote:I'll be in Shenzhen, China in two days. I'm very excited. Any advice?

Buy All Electronic Stuff. Go to Huaqiangbei , Shenzhen . It is the largest electronic market in China aka world :lol: ...What the world gets in iPhone..they make it in dozens and 1/100th of the cost. Its simply the best place to buy smartphones and accessories for cheap, great varieties and models that have not come to rest of the world :( you can buy in Huaqiangbei

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc1mSApO2jM[/youtube]

Huaqiangbei: the mega market with every smartphone part – in pictures

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2014/jun/13/huaqiangbei-shenzhen-market-smartphone-parts-in-pictures
starchild5
Experienced Poster

Postby zboy1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 am

Rock wrote:

Winston, I hope you can get further inland than Shenzhen. It's a border city after all and kinda sanitized.

Try to take high speed rail up to Guangzhou to see a more chaotic and interesting side to China. It's only 90 minutes I think. Then you could consider Changxia or even Xiamen (where your Hokkien dialect will be of great use).

There's so much to explore! Hope you make it past Shenzhen.

Rock is right, Winston! Don't just stay in Shenzhen. In fact, the women in Shenzhen are known to be the most materialistic in China, after Beijing or Shangahi. Go to Guangzhou, Dongguan or Xiamen. Also, visit places like Chongqing and the more interior parts of China. The women in those interior provinces are considered to be the best (wife material) in all of China.

When Kai posted on this forum, he met his girl in one of the inner provinces of China, so remember that the girls in Shenzhen are not representative of all Chinese girls.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:38 am

starchild5 wrote:

Buy All Electronic Stuff. Go to Huaqiangbei , Shenzhen . It is the largest electronic market in China aka world :lol: ...What the world gets in iPhone..they make it in dozens and 1/100th of the cost. Its simply the best place to buy smartphones and accessories for cheap, great varieties and models that have not come to rest of the world :( you can buy in Huaqiangbei

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc1mSApO2jM[/youtube]

Huaqiangbei: the mega market with every smartphone part – in pictures

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2014/jun/13/huaqiangbei-shenzhen-market-smartphone-parts-in-pictures

Hahaha. First time I went there, Starchild, it was a mind-blowing experience! Haha...Never seen anything like it in the States.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories