Winston in China! Updates and Photos

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Winston is in China now! Updates and Reports

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Ghost I believe if you live in a tropical area, a brown country as you say, you will have a very humid, warm climate. In such a climate it's easy to be lazy. I find myself adjusting my style of living and level of activity heavily because of it. Surely it can't be THAT simple, I thought. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. People in Southern Europe are also in general lazier then Western and Northern Europeans.

Perhaps lazy isn't even the right word, nor is unintelligent; it's laid back.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Hot climate makes you feel sluggish plus they dont have to prepare for winter and save or build shelter. If add generation and generation living like that you will produce a culture that will be slower.

Its not too much a genetic thing just compare nyc people to people who live in the south. People in the south tend to be slower or even lazier compare to the east
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Ghost I believe if you live in a tropical area, a brown country as you say, you will have a very humid, warm climate. In such a climate it's easy to be lazy. I find myself adjusting my style of living and level of activity heavily because of it. Surely it can't be THAT simple, I thought. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. People in Southern Europe are also in general lazier then Western and Northern Europeans.

Perhaps lazy isn't even the right word, nor is unintelligent; it's laid back.
So what is it with Singapore? It's very hot and humid year round yet it's also an extremely productive economy with a workaholic culture.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Lots chinese expats moved there..singapore is like expat country.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Ghost wrote:It's a question of how much is determined by race and how much by culture. The thing is that how do you separate the two?

If one says, "Filipinos have an inferior culture," then how do you separate that from genetics? How much does genetics determine culture? No one is entirely sure.

You could say that some races are inferior, but we know that every race has the capacity of any other race. Blacks are generally less intelligent than whites, but blacks have the capacity to have the same intelligence as whites. A few examples will show up in a black population, and you could also transplant a black into a white, middle class suburb with nurturing and responsible parents and he will likely turn out very well and be intelligent.

So perhaps like languages, intelligence is not genetically programmed.

My own notion of how this works is more complex than this. I've realized that white countries are almost always outside of the tropical areas on earth, as are the East Asian countries which have generally intelligent populations. Most brown countries are within the tropical zone. I think this and other factors probably have something to do with it. It's very complex. I see no simple answers.
Research and studies have been done on this (black kids raised by white parents from a high socio economic background and of high IQ with a twin brother raised in the hood). According to the research, this favorable environment can add a bit to the kids IQ but nothing close to the 13-15 point mean IQ gap between American whites and blacks. BTW, American non-Jew whites underperform NE Asian Americans by several points and are say 10-15 points below the Jewish American mean.

Some point to the fact that mean black IQ in USA is 10-15 points higher than that of their counterparts in W. African nations. But the average black person in USA has a substantial mix of white or other non-black genes in their ancestry which some point to as the primary source of the better scores of American blacks, not the superior environment in USA. Environment plays a role but perhaps DNA has the largest impact.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

chanta76 wrote:Lots chinese expats moved there..singapore is like expat country.
Yes but Marcos argument I believe is that as soon as you arrive in the tropics, your energy level goes down from day 1. Remember, Marcos is N. European and I believe he feels this effect personally - working in Europe vs. working in Philippines.

So shouldn't the Chinese who move to SP become slower and lazier?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Rock wrote:So shouldn't the Chinese who move to SP become slower and lazier?
Singapore had Lee Kuan Yew, whereas the Philippines' Lee Kuan Yew is yet to be elected. It's silly to talk about the supposed racial inferiority of a nation that has never been lead by a competent leader in it's entire history. I had high hopes for Duterte, but it appears he won't be running. Backwards places often need to be lifted out of being backwards by force. When that force is held back, or never arrives, the country's development will be halted.

The natural state of people living in a tropical climate, in my experience, is to be more laidback. When you look at countries with such a climate that, in spite of their environment, became successful, you notice that in all cases there has been a strong political movement or leader. Someone who implemented radical changes. Looking at Japan prior to Admiral Perry's arrival, or China in the days of the Emperors, you will not see a lot of differences between the common Chinese and Japanese people in those days and the common Filipino's nowadays. So to speak of racial superiority the way Winston does, without taking into account history and politics, is ridiculous. That was my original argument.
Last edited by MarcosZeitola on September 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Rock,

Tell this to blackknight our resident black nationalist about IQ.

If you look at Indonesia, Thailand and even the Philippines. There are expats CHinese who live there and on the average are the higher class. Singapore has a HUGE Chinese expats that can up lift the country. Genetics does play a role but it's not black and white regardng IQ studies. After the Korean civil war for example they did an IQ exam on Korean people and it was LOW but look at South Korea today..where as North Korea is poor country. Environment and national policy DOES play a ROLE.
Lorenzo
Freshman Poster

Post by Lorenzo »

chanta76 wrote:Rock,

Tell this to blackknight our resident black nationalist about IQ.

If you look at Indonesia, Thailand and even the Philippines. There are expats CHinese who live there and on the average are the higher class. Singapore has a HUGE Chinese expats that can up lift the country. Genetics does play a role but it's not black and white regardng IQ studies. After the Korean civil war for example they did an IQ exam on Korean people and it was LOW but look at South Korea today..where as North Korea is poor country. Environment and national policy DOES play a ROLE.
You've ignored my prior post. I have the data from studies I conducted showing Asians have less common sense than the average white American. It is most likely rooted in their roat learning style, where critical thinking skills are less developed. But the Asians are coming up the curve...
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Lorenzo,

I don't know how my prior post would be in relation to what your wrote..Oh I'm sorry maybe because I'm Korean back ground and lack critical thinking on my part. By the way I'm being sarcastic here . As it stands today East Asians do have high IQ . Now unless it's separate IQ exams that a white or black person takes I don't totally agree with your assessment. IQ exams do measure critical thinking.

And I have to disagree with you that white America has more common sense . In matter of fact I don't think they do. I think critical thinking and common sense are two different thinking methods. In definition term critical thinking is applying logic to unfamiliar terms . Common sense on the other hand is what is prudent or what is best for everyone. If that is common sense than East Asians would be higher than Americans because Asian culture is base upon what is best for whole of society. Where as Americans is more about what is good for me. So I have to strongly disagree with you.

I think your talking about creativity and the stereotype is that Asians lack creativity but are just copy cats but can make it better. I mean black people are very creative but as a whole they have lower IQ compare to any racial groups.

As Asians become more westernize your going to see more of that creative thinking coming out. Why? because creativity means thinking differently and outside the box. Asian culture is ALL ABOUT FITTING IN.
Lorenzo
Freshman Poster

Post by Lorenzo »

chanta76 wrote:And I have to disagree with you that white America has more common sense . In matter of fact I don't think they do.
Sorry but I have the scientifically collected data on user testing. One study was going perfect then I had 5 different Asians in a row all fail. My client, an Asian PhD and I laughed our ass off. We called it the Asian factor. It is real, but I do understand this may come off as offensive. Ever wonder why people make jokes about Asian drivers????

With the said, second gen Asians in the US are not at all like their immigrant counterparts, they are on par or above white Americans in common sense and IQ, so what I am saying is that it is Not genetic.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
Rock wrote:So shouldn't the Chinese who move to SP become slower and lazier?
1 -
Singapore had Lee Kuan Yew, whereas the Philippines' Lee Kuan Yew is yet to be elected. It's silly to talk about the supposed racial inferiority of a nation that has never been lead by a competent leader in it's entire history....
-----

2 -
Looking at Japan prior to Admiral Perry's arrival, or China in the days of the Emperors, you will not see a lot of differences between the common Chinese and Japanese people in those days and the common Filipino's nowadays. So to speak of racial superiority the way Winston does, without taking into account history and politics, is ridiculous. That was my original argument.
1 -

It is not easy to compare Singapore - a dictatorship with not much opposition - with Philippines where politicians out of family clans are in competition to each other.

A type like Lee Kuan Yew would not do it better in Philippines, he would be either removed by rigged elections or some gunmen would move him by force to a coffin.

Singapore is merely a small city-state of around 5 million people without any agriculture, money coming in all time by transit business and the hard work is done by foreigners, everything from maid to construction worker.

Philippines is a country of 1000s of islands dispersed over a wide area and about 100 million people whose majority survives as farmers and fishermen.

2 - Japan prior and after Adm. Perry was a place ruled by Japanese, it was not under foreign pressure like China which was forced to sign biased treaties with Britain and France, paid contributions and gave land (HongKong etc.) to European countries, later on also to Japan (Korea, Taiwan, Sino-Japanese War 1895).

China lost any major war in the past, but had plenty of internal fighting between the Chinese themselves and was liberated mainly by the Russians at the end of WWII. Without the Russians, the PRC would not even exist. Manchuria would be Japanese, Tibet would still be an independent country.

Much of the Chinese government is nothing but politics of a braggart and a bully.
To claim mainland-Chinese are superior to Filipinos (or other Asian people) is rather insulting but also ridiculous.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Falcon wrote:
Yohan wrote:As a fact, a lot of low level jobs in Japan are done by Chinese men and women from mainland China, legal and illegal. Almost every cleaning job in a restaurant is done by a Chinese, filling up shelves in convenience stores, factory work etc. are done by Chinese, the cheapest 'girls of the night' out in the streets near our railway station in Southern Tokyo are all mainland-Chinese.

Theft, pickpocketing, burglary, forgery etc. - about 50 percent of all foreigners arrested in Japan for crimes are mainland-Chinese.

If you really think a mainland-Chinese is 'superior' to other Asians, for sure in Japan this is not the case.
Sounds just like mainland Chinese in Taiwan.

It's not about race. It's about socioeconomic class....

-----

And you know what China is in Chinese right? Zhongguo = "center of the world".
This kind of arrogance about Chinese being the best is called Han Chinese chauvinism. It dates back thousands of years ...
Thank you for this comment. Nothing what I could add to this comment.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Lorenzo

Still have to disagree with you. Globally east asian do have higher iq and this does measure critical thinking.

Saying that have you read my post and know the difference between common sense and critical thinking?

The asian driver stereotype is more due to western people thinking asian have slanty eyes and cant see.

lorenzo..you just buy into these asian stereotypes..