Winston in China! Updates and Photos

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Winston in China! Updates and Photos

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I'm in Shenzhen, China now, which is right next to Hong Kong. I took the Hong Kong subway and then walked across the border bridge to the Shenzhen subway. It was very convenient.

Shenzhen is pretty first world and modernized. But the vibe is different. China people seem more crude and abrupt. But there is something very authentic about them. It's hard to explain. It's a different vibe from Hong Kong for sure.

I've tried cold approaching some women here. The women are approachable here. They don't have that paranoid vibe or wall around them and they are more down-to-earth too. However, they are not curious or open to talking to strangers either. When you talk to them, they don't seem curious to know where you are from, even if you have a foreign accent or look exotic and different. Basically, they are not paranoid, but not interested or enthusiastic either. They seem apathetic or neutral toward strangers, like they just don't care.

So it's not as easy to meet or pickup girls as I thought. I don't know about the rest of China though. Shenzhen is very clean and modernized, like a first world city. Maybe women are more open in smaller less modernized areas of China. I don't know. But two forum members, Ethan_sg and Zboy1, both told me that cold approach doesn't work well here too. Better to try to meet girls online, they said. We will see.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Winston is in Shenzhen, China now!

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Why are you approaching women, I thought you were traveling with Dianne and Angelo? Or did you send them home already? You scoundrel, you! :wink:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Why are you approaching women, I thought you were traveling with Dianne and Angelo? Or did you send them home already? You scoundrel, you! :wink:
You sure imagine things. Where did I say I was traveling with Dianne and Angelo? My Hong Kong trip report only said Dianne. Dianne already went back to the Philippines. Didn't you know? She can't get into China because she has no visa to enter there. Come on man. You are so naive. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Winston wrote:You sure imagine things. Where did I say I was traveling with Dianne and Angelo? My Hong Kong trip report only said Dianne. Dianne already went back to the Philippines. Didn't you know? She can't get into China because she has no visa to enter there. Come on man. You are so naive. lol
I just don't follow your trips that thoroughly, I thought your girlfriend and your parents may still be with you. So I was slightly weirded out because if she was still there, that'd mean you would be hitting on women while she was traveling with you. Guess that's no big deal anymore since she's safely back home now. :D

Btw: happy birthday.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I think the problem is you're cold approaching girls who are doing other things, not out looking for husbands. Chinese girls go online or go to dating parties to look for husbands. Dating is big business in China but you have to take a while to find out where the good girls go (that's if you're marriage minded in the first place).

If you're staying in Shenzhen for a while there are some bars where foreigners hang out. I think they were near the Shopping Park metro, but I might be wrong on this (it was a while ago and I had to rush back to my hotel after a bad McDonalds!!!). Anyway, it might be a good place to meet girls who want to meet foreigners.

Otherwise go on Chinese Love Links, there are plenty of Sz girls on there.

Finally there are lots of h00kers round, er, most of Sz really. Futian district especially, I think I was the only non "John" who was staying in my hotel. The girls are pretty but they have fairly blank expressions - don't expect anything in the way of personality.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
You scoundrel, you! :wink:
:lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
She can't get into China because she has no visa to enter there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3zV1pCTQ8
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
.... if she was still there, that'd mean you would be hitting on women while she was traveling with you.
Now see THAT would be some big balls.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Jester wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:
.... if she was still there, that'd mean you would be hitting on women while she was traveling with you.
Now see THAT would be some big balls.
Like a modern day Genghis Khan.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Last night, Ethan Sg and a Chinese girl I know from qq celebrated my birthday with me here in Shenzhen, China.

We went to dinner and then a KTV where she invited three of her colleagues and paid for it all. I was amazed at her generosity. I've never seen that in the Philippines. Lol. Anyway we had a great time and drank lots of beer while singing songs.

Ethan is an interesting guy and very diverse in that he can have deep philosophical conversations, yet also talk with mainstream people about normal practical things too.

Today, Ethan and I are meeting up with Zboy1, who is coming to Shenzhen. We are all staying in the same hotel. Maybe we should record a podcast or something. Lol

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

It was great meeting Winston in person in Shenzhen! He's a very interesting person, and I must say, he's also quite easy to talk to--and someone you can discuss many topics with, too. I also met up again with EthanSg--whose a great guy himself. He's really high on China and absolutely loves Chinese girls, while Winston is seemingly undecided about the women here.

I guess I can see both their points about China and Chinese women.

Although Shenzhen just isn't the city for me, I do like to go back once-in-a-while to check out the city. It's certainly interesting to see how fast the city is developing and changing.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

For some reason, this site loads very slowly in China. I don't know why. I guess the firewall in China makes the internet slower. But it's mostly this forum that's affected. The page hangs on every load for a while before completing the load. It doesn't do that with the home page though, only the forum pages. Any of you notice this too when in China?

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:For some reason, this site loads very slowly in China. I don't know why. I guess the firewall in China makes the internet slower. But it's mostly this forum that's affected. The page hangs on every load for a while before completing the load. It doesn't do that with the home page though, only the forum pages. Any of you notice this too when in China?
Yea when I was in China last December, Internet was awful.

1. I couldn't access Youtube, Google (even Google HK didn't really work), or Facebook

2. My Viber didn't work

3. My Skype was often slow and choppy for making calls

4 This forum was unreliable when I tried to post or even read pages.

I stayed in multiple places too with supposedly decent Internet.

People talk about how unfree the US is these days. Well in some ways, China is worse.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:
Winston wrote:For some reason, this site loads very slowly in China. I don't know why. I guess the firewall in China makes the internet slower. But it's mostly this forum that's affected. The page hangs on every load for a while before completing the load. It doesn't do that with the home page though, only the forum pages. Any of you notice this too when in China?
Yea when I was in China last December, Internet was awful.

1. I couldn't access Youtube, Google (even Google HK didn't really work), or Facebook

2. My Viber didn't work

3. My Skype was often slow and choppy for making calls

4 This forum was unreliable when I tried to post or even read pages.

I stayed in multiple places too with supposedly decent Internet.

People talk about how unfree the US is these days. Well in some ways, China is worse.
Ethan told me that you can use a VPN to access Google and Facebook in China. He said they are easy and cheap and only cost 4 dollars per month to use. You can sign up for one at many sites, such as this one:

http://www.astrill.com

So next time you're in China, you can try using that to access the internet.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

When I first arrived in Shenzhen, China, I immediately got my first taste of China style incompetence. See my email below to HostelWorld.com describing what happened:
Dear HostelWorld,
I have a booking guarantee claim and complaint. I booked the Harbour Hostel last week in Shenzhen, China. But when I arrived, it turned out not to exist. I showed the address to many people on the street. None of them knew where it was.

Finally one person was kind enough to call the hostel for me. When she did, the man who answered the phone said that the hostel had moved somewhere far away from the address given on HostelWorld.

She called him back to ask him for directions. But he was not very helpful. Finally he referred me to another hostel called I Heart, which was nearby. So I ended up going to another hostel and paying cash there.

Apparently, the owner of Harbour Hostel was too lazy to update his address and info on HostelWorld, even though he moved the hostel several months ago. That kind of incompetence is NOT acceptable, as you know.

Please issue a warning to the owner about this, that he must update his info or be removed from the system. Otherwise, other travelers who booked this hostel will end up getting lost there too, like I did, which the owner doesn't seem to care about. It would seem that he has no shame or conscience.

How do I get my credit back plus the $$50 credit mentioned in your booking guarantee? Was my credit card charged already? If so, can you refund it please?

Here is my reference number:
88915-147646319

And here is the property I'm referring to:
http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetail ... pNum=88915

Thanks,
Winston