Ladislav in Kyiv Ukraine Now

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ladislav in Kyiv Ukraine Now

Post by ladislav »

Hi all, I flew from Saudi to Turkey, then on to Odessa and then took a train to Kyiv. Been here for 2 days now.

Last time I was here was in 1976. So, it's been 39 years.

It all looks nice and clean and the people appear very polite. Lots of pretty women everywhere who are well dressed. The grivna is down to 21 to the dollar because of the war. I can stay at a hotel in the center of the city for $20.

I am meeting a lady who is my Ukrainian language teacher online. She has been taking me all around the city. This is not a romantic meeting.

There are parks and flowers everywhere. Also, the food is great and a dinner that in the US would cost $30 costs some $10 here.

While the people appear polite, everyone is busy and not willing to engage in just social conversation. I tried and they kind of give me annoying looks.

The Maidan has been cleaned up. It is surrounded by monumental Stalinist building ala- art deco.

There are more women than men on the streets everywhere. That goes for Odessa, too. In the past, it was the other way around.

The guys do not appear as handsome as the girls are beautiful.

Seems that many guys have emigrated looking for work or are now in the military.

While people appear composed, there is a war going on and it shows. You start talking to some and you feel how much pain they are experiencing about the whole thing.

There are boards with faces of fallen soldiers and people collecting money for the support of the army.

Afaik, Russian TV channels have been banned and if you hear Russian on TV, it is from a local channel. Many Russian movies, TV shows, etc. have also been banned. There are posters everywhere asking to report suspicious activity to state security. Any kind of public pro-Russian activity or advocacy of the "Russky Mir" is subject to arrest and imprisonment of up to 12 years.

"Russky Mir" or "Russian world" is a Russian doctrine of creating a union of all people who speak Russian into one whole sphere- political, cultural and economic. Kind of like the Spanish have their Hispanidad ( a loose union of all the Spanish speaking peoples) and the French have "la Francofonie" and the UK has the British Commonwealth.

Just like America which speaks English but does not want to be the member of the Commonwealth, Ukraine also refuses any such unions. Anti-Russian sentiment is very high.

Still. I hear mostly Russian on the streets and in cafes- although the accent is local. But the education is all in the local language. Some people already refuse to speak Russian period.

But, you can still use Russian -- and English here. They speak English with no articles and the accent is very strong.

The girls do not seem as stuck up as before. Why would they be? There's a war going on and their guys are getting killed. The ones who are not at war cannot make any money- the local currency is becoming worthless. Prices have gone up.

Now is the time either for a heartless opportunist or a knight in shining armor to come here. I am neither. I am just on vacation.

Easy to get in- not even a disembarkation card needed. Just walk in basically.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ladislav in Kyiv Ukraine Now

Post by jamesbond »

Thanks for the info Ladislav, I was wondering what you have been up recently. Mark Davis and his wife Anna takes their clients on romance tours to Nikolaev, Ukraine to meet women and quite a few guys find their future wives there.

Ukraine looks like a beautiful country to visit not just because of the women but also the history and natural beauty of Ukraine.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Good info. I really need to get to Ukraine :(
Last edited by GoingAwol on June 18th, 2015, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

That sounds like heaven ladislav, thanks. At some point I have to be there.
ladislav wrote:Last time I was here was in 1976. So, it's been 39 years.
Wow that's a lot. I would think you have more things to say about the differences from then and now.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Just wrote a long reply with many details. Then, the WI FI refreshed itself and it was all gone. I will just mention the main points.
The only changes is that it is now capitalist and there are businesses and advertisements everywhere. Tens of thousands. Also, some new skyscrapers. The rest looks the same.
People dress in latest fashions. The girls wear mini skirts. Kids are dressed by parents as if they go to a party- but they don't. Ethnically, some people look Scandinavian, some Turkish and some typically Slavic. On average, you can see about 3 black men a day and maybe one Oriental looking person.
Ukraine's natural scenery is not extremely beautiful- it's mainly one flat prairie with patches of woodland and hedgerows everywhere. Everywhere you see poplars and chestnuts. Then you have mountains in the west.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Lad

Can you write a bit more about women

Have you tried to pick up by cold approach as its probably the only way for you since you are a bit too old for nightclubs

Do you feel your market value is higher than in your fav destination philipines
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Ya oichen rad dla tebya. Saychas ya magu govaritb pa russkiy, i ya planiruyu puteshestvobatb b tot region cnova.

Ya predpochitayu drugie strani, no ya moxet Bbit budu letetb v Odessiu kogda y menya vremya.

Ya nadeyucb sto Bbi xoroxho oxtihaete tam v Kieve.

My Russian is still a work in progress......
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Ladislav, I thought you were in Ukraine a few years back. Were you just in Odessa? I'd love to get back to Ukraine. I love the place. The girls, the food. I had lots of fun there. When I was there the Hryvnia was about 5 1/2 to a 1 USD and an a cheap apartment was one under $100 in Kiev. How long are you there for?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I'll be in Kyiv maybe another 2-3 days. Last time I was in Ukraine was 5 years ago. I'm not trying cold approaches because I'm 55 years old- yes, siree, this is not the Philippines so I have to be realistic. Odessa is overall prettier than Kyiv but is more of a summer resort town.

Here, it's the business hub. Now that Crimea is occupied territory, everyone is going to Odessa, so it should be fun.

My market value here is a bit higher than in the US but not as high as in the PH where I am an Amerikano.

Most people here are kind of indifferent to foreigners or emigres. At least to those my age.

Still, there is plenty of eye candy. You walk into a cafe and waitresses look like movie stars. I'm not here to look for women, but mostly to visit the Maidan and talk to people about the events at that time.

Was hanging around the Square and talking to people about the war. Everywhere, they are collecting money for the army and selling patriotic literature and souvenirs. There are quite a few military on the streets, too.

Ukrainian girls look about like this:

Having said all the above, I'm not really alone here. I've been hanging out with a 22 year old law student girl. She is as sharp as a tack, and already has an MA- this is her second degree. But our relationship is strictly platonic.

My Texan friend, who had always wanted a nice American girl, found a Ukrainian girl here and now he's basically here forever- until further notice. He's got money, and was sending me notes on what to see here. He seems to know Kiev like the palm of his hand now. He also took place in the Revolution. I had met another Texan here before, and he also loves it here. Ukraine is kind of like European Texas, actually. It was basically a land of outlaws for a long time, farmers and wild horsemen roaming the prairies. No kings, no czars, etc. The people here don't like control or strong government. It's rugged individualism here, too.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

ladislav wrote: Ukrainian girls look about like this:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8457/7969 ... c215_b.jpg
Moooreeee Pleeeassseeee Where did you get that?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:Hi all, I flew from Saudi to Turkey, then on to Odessa and then took a train to Kyiv. Been here for 2 days now.

Last time I was here was in 1976. So, it's been 39 years.

It all looks nice and clean and the people appear very polite. Lots of pretty women everywhere who are well dressed. The grivna is down to 21 to the dollar because of the war. I can stay at a hotel in the center of the city for $20.

I am meeting a lady who is my Ukrainian language teacher online. She has been taking me all around the city. This is not a romantic meeting.

There are parks and flowers everywhere. Also, the food is great and a dinner that in the US would cost $30 costs some $10 here.

While the people appear polite, everyone is busy and not willing to engage in just social conversation. I tried and they kind of give me annoying looks.

The Maidan has been cleaned up. It is surrounded by monumental Stalinist building ala- art deco.

There are more women than men on the streets everywhere. That goes for Odessa, too. In the past, it was the other way around.

The guys do not appear as handsome as the girls are beautiful.

Seems that many guys have emigrated looking for work or are now in the military.

While people appear composed, there is a war going on and it shows. You start talking to some and you feel how much pain they are experiencing about the whole thing.

There are boards with faces of fallen soldiers and people collecting money for the support of the army.

Afaik, Russian TV channels have been banned and if you hear Russian on TV, it is from a local channel. Many Russian movies, TV shows, etc. have also been banned. There are posters everywhere asking to report suspicious activity to state security. Any kind of public pro-Russian activity or advocacy of the "Russky Mir" is subject to arrest and imprisonment of up to 12 years.

"Russky Mir" or "Russian world" is a Russian doctrine of creating a union of all people who speak Russian into one whole sphere- political, cultural and economic. Kind of like the Spanish have their Hispanidad ( a loose union of all the Spanish speaking peoples) and the French have "la Francofonie" and the UK has the British Commonwealth.

Just like America which speaks English but does not want to be the member of the Commonwealth, Ukraine also refuses any such unions. Anti-Russian sentiment is very high.

Still. I hear mostly Russian on the streets and in cafes- although the accent is local. But the education is all in the local language. Some people already refuse to speak Russian period.

But, you can still use Russian -- and English here. They speak English with no articles and the accent is very strong.

The girls do not seem as stuck up as before. Why would they be? There's a war going on and their guys are getting killed. The ones who are not at war cannot make any money- the local currency is becoming worthless. Prices have gone up.

Now is the time either for a heartless opportunist or a knight in shining armor to come here. I am neither. I am just on vacation.

Easy to get in- not even a disembarkation card needed. Just walk in basically.
GREAT report, Lad.

+10

Thanks
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 19th, 2020, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

How about cost of living, wages.

I suspect ukranian girls are much much more pickier about looks than their SEAn counterparts and theres age issue.
Roosh was there not long ago and I dont think he has done particularly well
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Roosh was there to bang the girls. He actually went on the national television and his book "Bang Ukraine" was shown to the whole nation. He was sitting there proudly while they were talking about it.

He did not get deported or anything, but you could see that the people there were not particularly happy about it. Mostly they treated him like a bafoon more than anything else.

This is still a very family-oriented traditional culture by and large. Guys treat girls nice here.

I don't think that an 85 year old American would score well with an 18 year old here, but a good looking middle aged man would still get a girl in her 20ies. It really depends on the way you look mostly.

The country is at war now. The people are not as stuck up as before. The currency has suffered a collapse. Salaries are at $150 a month. If you want to live well in Kyiv, $1000 a month is enough. Better work online than look for work here.
How picky are the women about looks? Does an ugly guy have a chance there? What about money? How much unrestrained hypergamy are you seeing there?
The war has put a blanket on most such activities. As far as ugly, please pm me your picture.

Here's a typical girl:

Last edited by ladislav on June 19th, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

ladislav wrote: Here's a typical girl:

This is a typical girl? THIS IS A TYPICAL GIRL??!!