Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Re: Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock!

Post by celery2010 »

Didn't know that Scott had been there since 1995. My first visit was in 92. It was so chaotic to me and hot, and the fact that i got sick that i didn't end up staying long. The ride from the airport to the city was hell without the train system. Was there in 2012, completely different.

Scott created a video about how it's changed on Youtube as well.....
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I was there in 2013. The taxi journey from the airport to my hotel took 3 hours (!).

I never got sick in Bangkok, though many other farangs did. I guess I was OK because I'd lived in China first lol.

My 3rd tier Chinese city currently has a bigger underground rail network than Bangkok has.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Never got sick on my 2012 trip either. It's like night and day from 92. Thailand in 2012 was very nice and the BTS system was very good. Bangkok in 92 was like Jakarta or maybe Lagos (never actually been there).

To give you an idea, Hong Kong and Singapore were cheap in 92! Now they're as expensive as NY or London.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just uploaded the photos of me and lots of hot girls in Thailand that Rock took in 2016 to our Shutterfly page. Here is the album.

https://happierabroad.shutterfly.com/pictures/7073
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

Tomorrow I am going to Thailand again with Dianne and Rock. Rock will show us around and Dianne will finally visit a foreign country thats actually fun and exciting and interesting this time. (Unlike hong kong and taiwan)

I'm pretty excited too. Been wanting to go back to Thailand for ages. Its as fun and interesting and has a good vibe, like Europe. Im fact I'd call it the Europe of Asia because it has the most culture of anywhere i know in Asia. Much better than Philippines in many ways. Wish i could live there. Definitely worth considering as a top HA destination.

If any of you are in Thailand and wanna meet up, let us know.

@Falcon and @Jester are you guys still in Thailand?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Where will you stay in Thailand and for how long?
I will likely miss you as I am still in Japan, not back to my second home in Pattaya until middle of August...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:23 am
Where will you stay in Thailand and for how long?
I will likely miss you as I am still in Japan, not back to my second home in Pattaya until middle of August...
So far we only got Bangkok and Pattaya planned. We may go to more places. We are just winging it day by day. No exact schedule. We just decide each morning what to do. And boy theres a lot to see and do here, even as an observer only. So many things to see in outdoor markets and shopping like a huge everlasting bazaar. Lol

Also Dianne and I may stay behind here longer than Rock. We will see. We have a total of 30 days on the visa. And i certainly prefer here over the Philippines.

Everything in every category is much better. You dont even see any pollution in Bangkok. The vehicles in traffic seem dont even give off smog or smoke when they move, at least none that you can see. Rock said its because they burn off a different type of fuel that leaves no smog or pollution. Wow. Why cant the Philippines be like that too?

Overall people are way more civilized here than in the Philippines. They act like they have actual shame and pride and honor (which everyone knows doesnt exist in the Philippines) and have more of a Chinese look than Filipinos do. They also are more reserved, but too reserved like in Taiwan or Japan.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Shame I missed you - I was there a couple of weeks ago. I found it eye wateringly expensive and less fun too. In one bar they told me I wasn't drinking quickly enough. In another they were weighing my beer to see how much I had left. That really sucked.

On the plus side my PM 2.5 meter never got above 30 even along Sukhumvit and at least they let me play Pokemon Go there. Everything fun is banned in China.

Still the food was as good as always. If you're there on Wednesdays then Hooters has a bikini contest - the girls are super hot.

If you exchange money then go to Vasu Exchange in Nana. Don't be one of the 99% that pays rip off rates at the other places!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

I did not much care for Pattaya and would not recommend the place, especially not to a guy like Winston. Fellow vegetarian, right? Be warned, the vegetarian scene in Pattaya is ass. Not at all like Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

flowerthief00 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 1:16 pm
I did not much care for Pattaya and would not recommend the place, especially not to a guy like Winston. Fellow vegetarian, right? Be warned, the vegetarian scene in Pattaya is ass. Not at all like Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
The food is a meat_head's (no pun intended to sport jockeys) dream in Pattaya/S. Pattaya/Pomtien Beach area.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

flowerthief00 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 1:16 pm
Completely false. Theres vegetarian food everywhere here in Pattaya. Near my hotel there are Indian places that are 100 percent vegetarian and all the mall food courts have vegetarian food too. Especially Pier 21 inside Terminal 21 mall, which is the best food court i ever seen at dirt cheap prices. Even the Burger King here has veggie burgers, which i thought only the USA has.

I took lots of pics to prove it. This is definitely a vegetarian paradise. But actually there are food options for everyone. I never seen such diversity in food before outside the USA. And most food places open very late too, past midnight, unlike the USA. So its a foodie paradise for sure. Dont listen to the poster above. I swear he is totally wrong. There's more vegetarian food here than i can even try.

flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

^ Indeed there are plenty of Indian places. That was about all *I* could find. Maybe you know more than I do.
Indian food is of course great, but I can get real tired of it when all I'm eating every day is curry & naan, curry & naan, curry & naan....

I think there's no way Pattaya could be as good as Bangkok or Chiang Mai for this. Do you know the Happy Cow app? When I use that app in either of the above cities, it lights up with green (100% vegan) restaurants all over the map. In Pattaya, not so much.

I struggled in Pattaya. There was one evening when I mostly went hungry because I just couldn't find anything within walking distance of my hotel. If I ever went back I would want to tap your head for knowledge of where these vegetarian (or rather, vegan) places all are, but it's unlikely that I will ever go to Pattaya again.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

There are also two Sizzler's in Pattaya. They have a salad buffet, just like in the US, but much cheaper at 139 baht for all you can eat (about 4 dollars). The salad bar has tons of choices just like sweet tomatoes or a las vegas buffet. More choices and condiments than i can try. American salad buffets are unbeatable in terms of variety. No country compares to the US when it comes to salad bars. Lol

I wasn't talking about 100 percent vegetarian places btw. Only about places with vegetarian options. In that sense they're everywhere.

Also any thai place can cook vegetarian pad thai for you. Especially if you eat egg. Or veggie fried rice or vegetable curry, etc. Even thai street food and canteens offer those. Didnt you know that?

And of course theres always veggie pizza or cheese pizza or margerita pizza. And tomato pasta or Napoli spaghetti. Etc.

Btw Indian food has samosas and pakoras and ohibijie too, which are vegetables in fried batter, like tempura. And also vegetarian biryani too, which is very delicious. And many other vegetarian options as well. Not just curry.

Go to Philippines if you wanna see a real vegetarian hell. Theres no comparison. Once you go Philippines you will see that Thailand is food heaven and vegetarian paradise too.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

flowerthief00 wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 5:03 pm
^ Indeed there are plenty of Indian places. That was about all *I* could find. Maybe you know more than I do.
Indian food is of course great, but I can get real tired of it when all I'm eating every day is curry & naan, curry & naan, curry & naan....

I think there's no way Pattaya could be as good as Bangkok or Chiang Mai for this. Do you know the Happy Cow app? When I use that app in either of the above cities, it lights up with green (100% vegan) restaurants all over the map. In Pattaya, not so much.

I struggled in Pattaya. There was one evening when I mostly went hungry because I just couldn't find anything within walking distance of my hotel. If I ever went back I would want to tap your head for knowledge of where these vegetarian (or rather, vegan) places all are, but it's unlikely that I will ever go to Pattaya again.
Dude. You have some great posts, but be a omnivore. Be a man, and get your amino acids from beef, chicken and/or fish. I can see where you are afraid of the carcinogens and animal cruelty. Yes, I know how bacon is prepared. Yes, I know how poultry is prepared. They are not heavenly sights, but I need my testosterone-based amino acid proteins. The animal fat from meat makes me horny hence why so many FW are horny in general (natural aphrodisiac); they don't loathe animal fat dripping off the meats. There was an American arm-wrestling show episode between the muscular vegan whom got all his protein from a herbivore-based diet of course and the Kansas country lumberjack whom devoured eggs, bacon, etc. three times a day and whipped the vegan guys arse like nada. The vegan arm-wrestler was cut, but dude's muscles weren't synthetically congruent enough to beat the omnivore Kansas guy. Yes, I run the risk of getting a colostomy bag for overconsumption of red meats. Yes, I run the risk of developing gout due to the animal meat having too much uric acid resonating in it; I get that. That's what exercise and overconsumption of water are for. I don't do pork as much as I used to because I am mostly pork-nitrate-intolerant for the last few years. I will still put seafood/fish in a headlock and consume it as such. Seemingly I was addlebrained, but hopefully, my post here makes sense.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

@Winston
Oh I completely agree that Thailand is food paradise compared to Philippines. I never said Thailand in general doesn't have good food. It's the main thing about Thailand that I like.

@E Irizarry R&B Singer
Why am I not an omnivore? You've answered the question yourself. You know about the animal suffering. You understand about the carcinogens and the many ways that animal-based food is unhealthy. I bet you also know about the tremendous environmental damage caused by animal agricultural. (massive damage to oceans, forests, soil, etc)

How many more reasons does one need to stop consuming animals? If not now then at what point does winning an arm-wrestling contest stop being more important?

To me the animal suffering by itself should be enough. Several million animals were slaughtered for food in the few seconds it took you to read my post so far. Every single one felt the same pain and fear that we'd feel in the same situation. And every death was unnecessary. Our treatment of our fellow animals is THE most horrible event taking place on this planet. If I can't take a stand against that then what the hell am I good for?