AVOID JAPAN

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: AVOID JAPAN

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Looking back to my recent month in Japan, I absolutely loved it, but despite the women.

Japanese women seemed like first class citizens and Japanese men seemed like they were second class. When I learned that Japanese husbands must turn over their salaries to the women, I lost considerable interest in Japanese women there.

I met a half-Singaporean Malay, half Japanese beauty who was very skeptical of Japanese society and she told me that suicides, especially male suicides are now epidemic in Japan. I got the sense that she was not happy there.

These are things that indicate that something is culturally amiss there for the locals. For me, it was absolute pleasure, but I will never take my own sword for some entitled Japanese princess.

For those who are so inclined, white women there tend to struggle there financially and are VERY open to Western men of means. Your presence there almost qualifies you on that basis alone!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote: Japanese women seemed like first class citizens and Japanese men seemed like they were second class. When I learned that Japanese husbands must turn over their salaries to the women, I lost considerable interest in Japanese women there.
Such a custom is outdated since long time ago as everybody has a banking account in his or her name (no shared banking accounts allowed in Japan) and the huge majority of all companies do not pay salaries in cash any longer.
suicides, especially male suicides are now epidemic in Japan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
Japan male suicide rate is no. 26 worldwide. The suicide rate is about 2:1 men:women, not so good, but by far not the worst.
The situation is much worse in other countries, like in Russia or in South Korea.
These are things that indicate that something is culturally amiss there for the locals. For me, it was absolute pleasure, but I will never take my own sword for some entitled Japanese princess.
In Japan it is rare for a man to kill himself because of a woman. Most people commit suicide out of other reasons, like illness, bankrupt etc.
In Japan suicide by history and Shinto religion is something which should be respected, something honorable and nothing being wrong with it.
This mindset also is slowly changing.
For those who are so inclined, white women there tend to struggle there financially and are VERY open to Western men of means. Your presence there almost qualifies you on that basis alone!
Not clear how to understand this, about what 'white women' are you talking? - But as a foreign man in Japan you should try to contact other foreign women, there are many here from Philippines, China, Vietnam, Brazil to mention a few and they are very talkative.
In general, Japanese, both men and women, are not much interested in any private communication with foreigners.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29569&start=60

A member who made a short while ago a long thread about Japan, check it out.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Yohan wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote: Japanese women seemed like first class citizens and Japanese men seemed like they were second class. When I learned that Japanese husbands must turn over their salaries to the women, I lost considerable interest in Japanese women there.
Such a custom is outdated since long time ago as everybody has a banking account in his or her name (no shared banking accounts allowed in Japan) and the huge majority of all companies do not pay salaries in cash any longer.
suicides, especially male suicides are now epidemic in Japan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
Japan male suicide rate is no. 26 worldwide. The suicide rate is about 2:1 men:women, not so good, but by far not the worst.
The situation is much worse in other countries, like in Russia or in South Korea.
In Japan it is rare for a man to kill himself because of a woman. Most people commit suicide out of other reasons, like illness, bankrupt etc.
In Japan suicide by history and Shinto religion is something which should be respected, something honorable and nothing being wrong with it.
This mindset also is slowly changing.
Not clear how to understand this, about what 'white women' are you talking? - But as a foreign man in Japan you should try to contact other foreign women, there are many here from Philippines, China, Vietnam, Brazil to mention a few and they are very talkative.
In general, Japanese, both men and women, are not much interested in any private communication with foreigners.
All valid information Yohan, thanks. Keep in mind the suicide problem was relayed to me from the perspective of a young local who said their were almost daily suicides at train stations. One recent article that explains it better than I is: http://www.newsweek.com/one-four-japane ... eal-572151

About the white women I referred to, they were Russian and Aussie that I encountered. Of course I ignore Americans and other Anglosphere types. Many of them were working as small-time models or hostesses and were looking to hook up with fellow westerners to relate to. They seemed isolated and often ignored by Japanese in my opinion so when I initiated friendly conversation, I was always indulged quite kindly unlike in America or Western Europe.

I am a big fan of Japan. If I go back next summer (which is quite likely), I'll have to treat you to lunch.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote: All valid information Yohan, thanks. Keep in mind the suicide problem was relayed to me from the perspective of a young local who said their were almost daily suicides at train stations. One recent article that explains it better than I is: http://www.newsweek.com/one-four-japane ... eal-572151

About the white women I referred to, they were Russian and Aussie that I encountered. Of course I ignore Americans and other Anglosphere types. Many of them were working as small-time models or hostesses and were looking to hook up with fellow westerners to relate to. They seemed isolated and often ignored by Japanese in my opinion so when I initiated friendly conversation, I was always indulged quite kindly unlike in America or Western Europe.

I am a big fan of Japan. If I go back next summer (which is quite likely), I'll have to treat you to lunch.
Yes, we can meet, but I am not sure, if I will be in Japan, as I will retire soon, and spend also time in Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia and Thailand.
Let me know if you have a travel date. I also will not continue to live in Tokyo, but we will move to a smaller city in Western Japan.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/ ... ZXMnDeuRNA
This year’s report, approved by the Cabinet, shows that the number of people who took their own life declined to 21,897 in 2016, the lowest level in 22 years.
About suicide, every day about of 125 million people, about 50 to 60 commit suicide. Yes, sure, some take poison, others connect a hose from the muffler into their car, some prefer hanging on a tree near a shrine, and some choose one of these many trains.
Suicide is declining in Japan, now clearly under the suicide rate of Russia, South Korea and some other countries.

In Japan it is not only the foreigner, who feels isolated, there are plenty of Japanese who are somehow lonely, living alone, but this is not because men and women hate each other. In general Japanese are not very communicative among themselves, they only are open within their own family members, some of their relatives, former class-mates, co-workers sitting next to them in the office etc.

Most foreign women you mentioned, like Russian hostess etc. are here only with a 2 month visa (entertainer), I doubt they find any contact to local people at all. Japanese are not good in foreign languages and Japanese men can be very shy, and mostly private contacts are working out only after introduction with the assistance of other people etc. Japanese people are not known for an open-minded society. They are not really against foreigners, but simply said they do not want to have anything to do with them. They ignore their presence.

The good thing is however, if you are a foreigner like myself in Japan, you can go anywhere, day and night, totally safe. Crime against a foreigner like myself is zero, just zero, and I can say this after living here for more than 40 years.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

This guy living in Japan called Ryan Boundless makes some interesting videos albeit somewhat negative.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2dApwE0Y4w[/youtube]

I must admit I had a different concept of Japan until recently, I mean not anime delusions, but I thought their character was somewhat different.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Yohan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29569&start=60

A member who made a short while ago a long thread about Japan, check it out.
Everdred Makes fantastic reports. I hadn't read that whole thread, which includes an interview with his brother. Fantastic.
Everdred wrote: I also noticed countless girls wearing earphones as they walked, rode along on their bikes, or rode on the subway, which is a habit I find to be extremely anti-social. The rate of smartphone zombies among women was also very high in Kyoto, a common trend all across Japan, especially in urban areas. Seeing any female in her teens all the way up to her fifties looking down and swiping on her phone endlessly was a very common sight in Kyoto, and it’s just as common in Tokyo as well. I gotta give some praise to Mongolian and Laotian women, as both of these nationalities of women have yet to fall victim to the smartphone epidemic plaguing so much of the rest of Asia… at least for now.

As I mentioned earlier, the average person in Kyoto seemed relatively normal and far less robotic and uptight than the average person all the way over here in eastern Japan. I could actually sense people’s individual personalities in Kyoto, which is something I rarely experience anywhere else in Japan, as so many Japanese people tend to be robotic, zombie-like, and herdish in everyday public situations.
Yep
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

droid wrote:This guy living in Japan called Ryan Boundless makes some interesting videos albeit somewhat negative.
I must admit I had a different concept of Japan until recently, I mean not anime delusions, but I thought their character was somewhat different.
Not sure how to understand what you expect from Japan.

However as Everdred also pointed out, life in the relative low-cost suburbs of large cities, with plenty of people with moderate income can be VERY boring in evening. If you do not have a Japanese family with you, especially as a foreigner or at least co-workers and some relatives you meet occasionally for going out to somewhere, it is a really lonely life.

This video was taken in some place like that, the person who took it has a similar experience. It says a suburb somewhere near Osaka, but where exactly I cannot say. It looks however similar in any of such places, with a railway station, a bus station, some convenience stores - people moving around without looking to anybody, train in in morning, train out in evening and disappear to somewhere. Some go to a cheap restaurant, others are wasting their time and money by playing this stupid pachinko game, other just go home after buying some food from the supermarket and sit in front of a TV or computer screen.

Some Japanese have clearly a problem with alcohol and gambling.

As a foreigner, your presence will be ignored in such places. Even difficult to find accomodation as a foreigner.

About myself, I am living in the inner districts of Tokyo with a good job and income since almost 40 years now with Japanese family, so my situation is much better. People near to my place know me as I never changed services since many years, for example medical doctors, restaurant staff, motorcycle repair shop, barber shop and so on - when I go out I am easily recognized as the only foreigner here in this area and often people are greeting me and I have no idea who they are.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

Hey. For those of you knowledgeable in Japanese culture but from a foreign/gaijin perspective, what would you say to a foreigner who wants to visit Japan, but get the WHOLE experience? I mean, not just Tokyo, but the smaller cities. Even the ones that would be considered "country". When I travel I want the authentic experience. I want to visit parts of Japan that foreigners stick out in. That few have ever been to.

Also, the food. Tell me about the food because it looks good as a muh.
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

This sucks. Last guy here wants to do some Happier Abroad time, but most likely will not afford it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5bVWzTyJ7E[/youtube]
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Japan is expensive and the women there are becoming more westernize.

Look at local Japanese guys and how they struggle. I think you have to look at a country and how the local guys do. If the local guys do great with women ..and life. Guess what it may also apply to you.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

droid wrote:This sucks. Last guy here wants to do some Happier Abroad time, but most likely will not afford it.
These people are simply said lazy and unwilling to work any regular job.
There is no excuse for such a living condition except the person himself.

Most companies pay for simple work something like USD 10,- to USD 13,- per hour (during late night USD 15,- to 17,-) and if you are willing to work about 8 hours per day, you will receive at least around USD 2000,- per month. Enough to pay for a small room, keep a regular address, to buy for good food and all other small daily needs items, have medical care almost for free and so on.

There are plenty of simple jobs everywhere, and when I look around I see only mainland Chinese, Vietnamese and other Asians working all the time, many of them even illegals.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Man With a Plan wrote:Hey. For those of you knowledgeable in Japanese culture but from a foreign/gaijin perspective, what would you say to a foreigner who wants to visit Japan, but get the WHOLE experience? I mean, not just Tokyo, but the smaller cities. Even the ones that would be considered "country". When I travel I want the authentic experience. I want to visit parts of Japan that foreigners stick out in. That few have ever been to.
Also, the food. Tell me about the food because it looks good as a muh.
It depends how much time you have and how much money you consider to spend and what you want to do here.
Considering hotel accomodation and train services and rent-a-car, entrance fees for temples, restaurants, nightlife and so on, Japan is no cheap travel destination.

Basically you can find everything in and around the large area of Metropolitan Tokyo, or around Osaka/Kyoto or around Fukuoka while renting a room for 14 days or so - without changing hotelroom every night.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/blog/eigh ... sis-072616
This is still Tokyo, for example.

Small cities do not offer anything, it's a boring life there and all these smaller cities look rather similar. Not much to do there for a foreigner.

A member 'Everdred' wrote a very good report about small cities in Japan.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29569
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Post by statnerd »

Japan is interesting and a very nice place. It was also the first Asian country that I visited. The people were polite (lots of bowing and smiles), it's easy to get around and the public transportation is superb. Also, it's very clean. I truly enjoyed my time there and went back a second time - to Okinawa which is beautiful (especially the Kerama Islands).

However, I did find the people to be uptight and they readily fuss at you (or give you a look) if you don't follow one of their rules. You'll get that if you jaywalk, talk on a train, or sit in the handicapped seat of a bus. They are also rigid about making any kind of noise in public. I was carrying around a plastic bag that was making a little noise and a lady pointed at it. I haven't experienced that in the other countries in East Asia and SE Asia that I've visited.

The food was good in Japan, but I've had much better food in Malaysia and Thailand. Still, it beats the heck out of American food.

Also, seeing all of the rushed and tired-looking salarymen in the train stations was a bit depressing. The people in Malaysia and Thailand seemed more laid back.

Those are the main pros and cons that I gathered.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

statnerd wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Japan is interesting and a very nice place.
-----
However, I did find the people to be uptight and they readily fuss at you (or give you a look) if you don't follow one of their rules.
As you said correctly, interesting and a nice place for a visit - however longstay in Japan is not that easy for foreigners, and many are leaving after a few years despite they have working contracts, legal documents and do not really miss anything.

Your observation is true, in Japan many things in daily life are overregulated. It is not that these 'rules' are forced by law, but more or less out of the Japanese people themselves, they do it voluntarily. Japanese people are not very talkative and communitive in general, in most areas in Japan are only Japanese people living and meet only very few foreigners in their life. They want to live in their own little house and do not want to be disturbed by others and also try to avoid everything which might disturbed other people.

On the other side, such a life-style has also some advantages - as you noticed, wherever you go, it is safe, a very low crime rate - against Western foreigners I would say almost zero - it is clean with no garbage in the streets - public transportation in and around the cities works on time - nobody tries to cheat you out of money or is demanding tips - everybody has health insurance ...

Still the best country in Asia if I compare Japan with all its neighbors, if you ask me.