Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Romanian women - A counterpoint to HA

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Romanian women - A counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 20th, 2017, 11:05 am

I'm going on three months overall in Romania, most of it in Bucharest. The women here are the most attractive I've ever seen. Beautiful, cute, sexy, slender, voluptuous -- whatever category moves you can be found here in abundance. You can see more good looking women in one hour at Piata Unirii subway station than you will in a decade in the U.S.

However, these women are impossible, unless you've got a cast iron ego. It is impossible to make eye contact with them. THEY. WILL. NOT. LOOK. AT. YOU. EVER. The vast majority of the time their noses are glued to the phones. On the rare occasions they aren't, the young ones carry themselves like aloof princesses, the middle aged ones and babushkas like brain-dead zombies. They never look at men or send out signals.

OK, I know what you're thinking -- this is just a personal problem. Maybe. Yes, I'm old, but I think I still look pretty good, and so do the women of beautifulpeople.com, who voted me in. The site tells me my profile is in the top five percent most trafficked, though I think this may be just a ruse to shake some membership dues out of me. Anyway, you'd think that I might at least catch the attention of a middle-aged one now and then. Never. And I don't see good looking young Romanian guys getting any looks either. These women just don't send out signals to men, as best I can tell. And I put myself in the proximity of many hundreds of them every day, in public transportation, malls, etc.

Now, if you do approach them, some are friendly. Quite a few are not, and they rebuff you in an extremely brusque and rude way. While I haven't run into more like the two last year mentioned in another thread, a common response to "do you speak English?" is a curt "no," and immediately turning away. I read once the view of a female Romanian psychologist that great self confidence plays well with Romanian women. I see now that's not because self confidence is valued, but because you need it to deal with the constant brusque rebuffs.

It's not like these women don't somehow hook up with men. And it's not like they have impossible standards. The most attractive one I've seen -- 10+++ in my book -- wouldn't look at me of course, and I saw why when her boyfriend got on the subway at another stop. She was obviously really into him, though I'm pretty sure a panel of objective women would consider themselves charitable to give him a five (1-10 scale) in the looks department.

I still get looks, eye contact, indications of interest now and then from American women, of varying ages. I've always experienced much less of this everywhere in Europe, and especially in Romania. Yes, if you score a European woman, she's liable to come with less of the pathology the AW brings to the table, but the task is never made easy, in my experience. Even in Poland, where virtually every woman I've talked to has turned out to be a sweetheart, they don't send out indications of interest.

Romania has a very low cost but reasonably high standard of living. Parts of the country are beautiful. But the rudeness is not limited to approaching women, it's an everyday occurrence with many of the people you encounter going about the daily business of living, which makes the politeness of Americans, superficial though it may be, more appreciated. Romanian drivers are homicidal maniacs. You MUST walk defensively; no pedestrian crossing is safe. They sometimes drive up on the sidewalk, and routinely park there. So, reluctantly -- because the women really are beautiful -- I'll be leaving the country in another month or so.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 241
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by TruthSeeker » November 20th, 2017, 11:20 am

If the women are so beautiful there, I wonder why agencies are not marketing them in the same way as we see Ukrainian women marketed. For example, the banner ad in this thread links to AFA and most of the women marketed are located in Ukraine. Why doesn't some company promote Romanian women in the same way? Is it because Romanian women are not that interested in foreigners and therefore can not be marketed as well? And if you just go there to Romania it seems that you can not approach Romanian women because you will be rejected. Is it because of their religion that forbids them to mingle with those of other races or faiths?

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 20th, 2017, 11:42 am

TruthSeeker wrote:If the women are so beautiful there, I wonder why agencies are not marketing them in the same way as we see Ukrainian women marketed. For example, the banner ad in this thread links to AFA and most of the women marketed are located in Ukraine. Why doesn't some company promote Romanian women in the same way? Is it because Romanian women are not that interested in foreigners and therefore can not be marketed as well? And if you just go there to Romania it seems that you can not approach Romanian women because you will be rejected. Is it because of their religion that forbids them to mingle with those of other races or faiths?
You might ask the poster Gold, who apparently is affiliated with Elena's Models. They had a Romanian office and marketed women there, but no longer do. I forget if he gave a reason. I don't see anything about the Orthodox Church that would exclude fraternization with outsiders. Russia and Ukraine are mostly Orthodox.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 241
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by TruthSeeker » November 20th, 2017, 12:46 pm

It may be a question of supply and demand. For some reason there is demand for Ukrainian ladies. Maybe this is an artificially created demand due to all the marketing. For example, Russian women are just as beautiful as Ukrainian but in recent years due to the political climate in Russia, we see less companies actually marketing Russian women. AFA had tours to various Russian cities which they no longer do.

Hungarian women are beautiful, Czech women are beautiful yet we do not see too many agencies or sites marketing their women. It all seems to be mostly about Ukraine nowadays.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 26589
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Winston » November 20th, 2017, 3:26 pm

OP,
If the Romanian women wont look at you, have you tried stopping them on the street and asking directions to pretend you're lost and trying to make small talk that way? While asking directions you have a few minutes to try to charm them or incite their curiosity and ask them to coffee or something. Have you tried that? If so what was the response?

You gotta try doing that a lot. But better you go to a small city outside the capitol. I had the same experience in Poland in the capitol city of Warsaw but the smaller cities were friendlier.

How is the culture and vibe there?

Btw why dont you try Latvia and Lithuania?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 20th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Winston wrote:OP,
If the Romanian women wont look at you, have you tried stopping them on the street and asking directions to pretend you're lost and trying to make small talk that way? While asking directions you have a few minutes to try to charm them or incite their curiosity and ask them to coffee or something. Have you tried that? If so what was the response?

You gotta try doing that a lot. But better you go to a small city outside the capitol. I had the same experience in Poland in the capitol city of Warsaw but the smaller cities were friendlier.

How is the culture and vibe there?

Btw why dont you try Latvia and Lithuania?
Yes, as I said, I've approached quite a few. About half are friendly, the other half won't speak to me at all and make that abundantly clear immediately. I've never experienced that in any other country. I did get friendly responses when I was in Cluj-Napoca, probably the second largest city in Romania, but my sample size there wasn't large enough to draw anything like valid conclusions. I thought the vibe here in Bucharest was very good when I first arrived, but the daily rudeness kind of wears you down and becomes the predominant impression. I've certainly experienced lots of European rudeness before -- the grocery store cashiers always get pissed when you can't speak the language, etc., etc. -- but Romania seems like the worst.

Latvia and Lithuania? Well right now the plan is escaping winter -- three weeks in Spain, then back to Arizona. I guess Russia is where I'll try next to try to find the right difference. I'm hoping the great political vibe they have at the moment translates into the culture in some way. Certainly the ratio of single women to men is favorable in Moscow.

MrMan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2489
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 3:52 am

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by MrMan » November 20th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Could it be that meeting a date on the street just doesn't fit with Romanian culture? Do the men there ask strangers for a date, or do they have to be introduced or have some connection (e.g. work or go to school together) before they ask a girl on a date.

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 20th, 2017, 5:10 pm

MrMan wrote:Could it be that meeting a date on the street just doesn't fit with Romanian culture? Do the men there ask strangers for a date, or do they have to be introduced or have some connection (e.g. work or go to school together) before they ask a girl on a date.
That's what it would seem like. You read PUA types like Roosh talking about how productive day game is in Bucharest, but I'm not sure how much of that I believe.

I had an almost success using the direct approach -- "I think you're very attractive" -- with a young nursing student. I gave her my card, asked her to email me. Didn't expect her to, but she did very quickly with the first of 31 emails (which involved 4-5 hours of translation for me since her English was poor and I told her to write me in Romanian). She was clearly interested for a while -- said stuff like "it will be my pleasure to take you to the best park in Bucharest." "ha, ha, ha, you made me laugh," sent me a picture of her cat for no apparent reason. Then she just disappeared, and did so after a visit to her grandmother. So maybe there is an element of Romanian culture that really frowns on meeting in that way.

Contrarian Expatriate
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2328
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » November 20th, 2017, 8:30 pm

After three forays into Bucharest, Romanian girls stay in their private worlds on the public streets and tended to only engage when they had an overtly legitimate reason to do so. I have to say that they are some of the most attractive women on the planet. I might as well impart what I noticed:

-The only girls that approach or give Western-style indicators of interest on the street are Roma (Gypsy) scammers or prostitutes.

-Day game does work there, but not in the conventional way. I met with success there by engaging with woman for a legitimate reason. For example, I ended up dating the waitress from the hotel bar. I got considerable interest from girls working retail in the small stores off of the main boulevards.

-Sitting at outdoor cafes or with sunglasses and newspaper worked wonders for me. I could see the girls who covertly noticing me and those who planted themselves nearby I figured out were asking to be approached.

Finally, daytime bars near the Hilton Hotel (make a left upon leaving the hotel) were staffed with very friendly females and there were few to no males there to cockblock. Head there a little after 1 pm and chat them up for the best places to go and get (or pass) the digits to hook up later.

Too bad Club Herastrau in Herastrau park is now closed. It was once written in Frommers that every single man in the world had to visit that club as a right of passage. Every man over 35 in Bucharest likely knows about that place. Club Herastrau likely was a victim of the more recent, glam-club trend and Romania has some of the best I have seen in this world.

So the mantra in Bucharest should be: waitresses, sales girls, bartenders in the daytime. At night, forget about that approach as the local males will interfere and shame the girls away from you.

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Adama » November 20th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Do you guys just walk into the nearest cellphone shop and ask for a prepaid cellphone when you arrive in Europe? I'll have to buy a phone.

I used to chat with a few girls from an online dating site from Romania. A couple of them were nice but the language barrier was the problem. Another girl wanted to come see me, but the ticket was $1000 and then she just forgot all about me. (I admit I screwed up with another girl because I didn't understand women's anti-whore defense statements back then. I thought she was saying no when she was just trying to say she's willing but indirectly that she's not a whore.)

Oh yeah, and even though the one woman who told me this seemed toxic, she was already well-aware from conversations with other men on that website, that many men are running away from American women. She explained to me that she felt she was better than American women in general. But for me, this particular girl had a temper. So I left her alone.

I'd like to visit, but as for right now, I only have one true favorite country in Europe: DEUTSCHLAND , which may very well be at the center of the earth.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 26589
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Winston » November 20th, 2017, 11:35 pm

gsjackson,
You say half are friendly? Isn't that a lot? Any country where half the girls are friendly would be paradise wouldn't it? Did you mean superficially friendly and polite, like Taiwanese and Japanese are? My definition of friendliness isn't what most people's is.

If they are rude and direct, like Russians, then they should be authentic and refreshing right? I connect well with such types. They see the same honesty and directness in me too, so we vibe well together on the same wavelength. I don't vibe at all with indirectness like West Coast Americans or Japanese or Taiwanese or Canadians are.

At least they aren't afraid of being approached right? There's not that fear vibe that NE Asian girls have of strangers right?

How is the food, architecture, and culture there? Have you visited any gypsy fortune tellers there? Are you going to Transylvania to see Dracula's castle? lol.

Are the prostitutes there hot? Do they work in streets or brothels? What's their price? You can find more info about them on international sex guide forum or world sex guide forum.

Btw do most girls there speak English?

You should try messaging some girls from POF or OkCupid. They usually speak English and are interested in meeting Westerners.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Contrarian Expatriate
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2328
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » November 20th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Adama wrote:Do you guys just walk into the nearest cellphone shop and ask for a prepaid cellphone when you arrive in Europe? I'll have to buy a phone.

I used to chat with a few girls from an online dating site from Romania. A couple of them were nice but the language barrier was the problem. Another girl wanted to come see me, but the ticket was $1000 and then she just forgot all about me. (I admit I screwed up with another girl because I didn't understand women's anti-whore defense statements back then. I thought she was saying no when she was just trying to say she's willing but indirectly that she's not a whore.)

Oh yeah, and even though the one woman who told me this seemed toxic, she was already well-aware from conversations with other men on that website, that many men are running away from American women. She explained to me that she felt she was better than American women in general. But for me, this particular girl had a temper. So I left her alone.

I'd like to visit, but as for right now, I only have one true favorite country in Europe: DEUTSCHLAND , which may very well be at the center of the earth.
I use a global SIM service so I can keep my number permanently. Try Telestial or Mobal for such SIMs. The minutes are expensive, but it is worth it in terms of convenience.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 26589
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by Winston » November 20th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Adama,
Yes in Europe you can walk into a convenience store and get a SIM card. Then you buy credits and reload as necessary. The credits will allow you to make calls and send texts, and there are internet packages where you pay a certain amount for data on your phone and that package varies. However, the SIM card you get in one part of Europe cannot usually be used in another European country. That's the way it was before, but it may have changed. I don't know.

Don't forget to install Google Translate app on your phone and download the offline language packs to your phone for whatever language you need to translate, so that it can be used offline too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 21st, 2017, 6:38 am

Winston wrote:gsjackson,
You say half are friendly? Isn't that a lot? Any country where half the girls are friendly would be paradise wouldn't it? Did you mean superficially friendly and polite, like Taiwanese and Japanese are? My definition of friendliness isn't what most people's is.

If they are rude and direct, like Russians, then they should be authentic and refreshing right? I connect well with such types. They see the same honesty and directness in me too, so we vibe well together on the same wavelength. I don't vibe at all with indirectness like West Coast Americans or Japanese or Taiwanese or Canadians are.

At least they aren't afraid of being approached right? There's not that fear vibe that NE Asian girls have of strangers right?

How is the food, architecture, and culture there? Have you visited any gypsy fortune tellers there? Are you going to Transylvania to see Dracula's castle? lol.

Are the prostitutes there hot? Do they work in streets or brothels? What's their price? You can find more info about them on international sex guide forum or world sex guide forum.

Btw do most girls there speak English?

You should try messaging some girls from POF or OkCupid. They usually speak English and are interested in meeting Westerners.
Well, rude and direct here means rude and directly away they go, so there is no further "vibing." No, they don't appear fearful, just annoyed. I will mention further that whenever I've sat down at a table next to one with women, like out front of the places in Lipscani (old town), and tried to start a conversation, I have been made to understand that I am out of line.

Food? I have a very unadventurous American palate, and just eat a lot of American crap supplemented by fruits, vegetables and nuts from the local markets. Food is cheap here; e.g., a Big Mac meal cost about half what it does in Tucson.

Architecture and culture? Bucharest is OK, a real mixed bag. Apparently a lot of the city's charm was eradicated under communism, and replaced with a lot of Bauhaus dreck. Of course that is true throughout Europe. I was in Brasov several days ago, a mountain city with one of the nicer old towns you'll ever see. While there I did go to Dracula's castle. Save your money.

Ever since the fall of communism in 1989 English has been required in schools (wasn't allowed before then). Some of the young women speak it well enough that you can hold a conversation with them. That wasn't true of the one I almost got something going with, who claimed she had a crappy English teacher.

I've had no interaction with gypsies (who aren't that much in evidence) or prostitutes. I don't want it bad enough any more to even think about paying for it, so I'm unfamiliar with the hooker scene. I think they're probably thick on the ground. I don't do online dating. I need to see a woman in the flesh to know if I'm interested.

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2094
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Romanian women -- a counterpoint to HA

Post by gsjackson » November 21st, 2017, 6:39 am

Winston wrote:gsjackson,
You say half are friendly? Isn't that a lot? Any country where half the girls are friendly would be paradise wouldn't it? Did you mean superficially friendly and polite, like Taiwanese and Japanese are? My definition of friendliness isn't what most people's is.

If they are rude and direct, like Russians, then they should be authentic and refreshing right? I connect well with such types. They see the same honesty and directness in me too, so we vibe well together on the same wavelength. I don't vibe at all with indirectness like West Coast Americans or Japanese or Taiwanese or Canadians are.

At least they aren't afraid of being approached right? There's not that fear vibe that NE Asian girls have of strangers right?

How is the food, architecture, and culture there? Have you visited any gypsy fortune tellers there? Are you going to Transylvania to see Dracula's castle? lol.

Are the prostitutes there hot? Do they work in streets or brothels? What's their price? You can find more info about them on international sex guide forum or world sex guide forum.

Btw do most girls there speak English?

You should try messaging some girls from POF or OkCupid. They usually speak English and are interested in meeting Westerners.
Well, rude and direct here means rude and directly away they go, so there is no further "vibing." No, they don't appear fearful, just annoyed. I will mention further that whenever I've sat down at a table next to one with women, like out front of the places in Lipscani (old town), and tried to start a conversation, I have been made to understand that I am out of line.

Food? I have a very unadventurous American palate, and just eat a lot of American crap supplemented by fruits, vegetables and nuts from the local markets. Food is cheap here; e.g., a Big Mac meal cost about half what it does in Tucson.

Architecture and culture? Bucharest is OK, a real mixed bag. Apparently a lot of the city's charm was eradicated under communism, and replaced with a lot of Bauhaus dreck. Of course that is true throughout Europe. I was in Brasov several days ago, a mountain city with one of the nicer old towns you'll ever see. While there I did go to Dracula's castle. Save your money.

Ever since the fall of communism in 1989 English has been required in schools (wasn't allowed before then). Some of the young women speak it well enough that you can hold a conversation with them. That wasn't true of the one I almost got something going with, who claimed she had a crappy English teacher.

I've had no interaction with gypsies (who aren't that much in evidence) or prostitutes. I don't want it bad enough any more to even think about paying for it, so I'm unfamiliar with the hooker scene. I think they're probably thick on the ground. I don't do online dating. I need to see a woman in the flesh to know if I'm interested.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories”