Spent a few days in Wilkes-Barre

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Spent a few days in Wilkes-Barre

Post by Adama »

That's not so far from the NJ border into PA. I was just going to investigate some details about the area for business. However, I noticed people were extremely friendly. They were more than willing to talk to me as a stranger.

In the Post Office all the strangers interacted with one another. I wasn't used to this so I just went along with it and I was friendly right back to them. Everyone in line smiled. One man got out of line and he wanted to get back in at the end of the line, and he kept insisting, but of course we gave him his spot again. This is how considerate people are there (at least on the outside, it is possible for some they are courteous on the surface but mean when you get to know them).

I went to restaurants and I talked to a couple of girls. They were polite. I didn't hit on them but it was nice to talk to women without being concerned that she is going to stick her hand in my face.

The female cashier at McDonalds actually seemed like she was happy to take an order. It looked really genuine.

I wasn't really attracted to any of them though.

Here's the contrast:

At home nobody is going to smile at you or talk to you in the post office. Nobody is going to ask to take their spot back or defer to you.

The girls at restaurants will not smile or be polite at all.

One time I was in Manhattan NYC soul winning and I wanted to talk to this one girl, and before I could even say hello, she stuck her hand in my face and shook it no. She was white too.

The cashiers here probably are not going to smile at you.

It is like a whole different spirit has captured them.

Now the thing that I don't like is that you may need to get on the highway to get some of the basics, and that is a chore. It is colder with more snow. You feel like you're in Tennessee cause you're constantly driving up and down valleys and hills.

Even if nobody else cares, I find human psychology very interesting.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Spent a few days in Wilkes-Barre

Post by Winston »

Where is that exactly? In NJ? Is it a small town? It sounds like Carson City, NV. The people there are relaxed and smile warmly and will talk to strangers. It has a nice vibe too and a nice flow. No one looks restless or impatient or honks at other cars. It feels tranquil and has a positive vibe. Some towns in New Mexico are like that too. So even in the US there are variations.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne