Xiongmao in Zhejiang (China)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Xiongmao in Zhejiang (China)

Post by xiongmao »

Hey HA'ers,

I've posted the first in maybe a few more installments of my trip report to Zhejiang Province, China.

Read my first post here on the HA blog.

Since these are the two most popular topics, I've covered dating and teaching jobs.

tl;dr - dating is rubbish here but the teaching has been going OK and I've been able to save 70% of my salary every month.

What a shame it's sooooooooooooo hard to send money out of China :twisted: .

If you want me to cover any other topics then let me know. I'll try and add some photos as well.

In the meantime here's a picture of the school's staff canteen food. Just 2 RMB a go. What's that? Practically nothing. It's worth it for the apple. Eat here every day and you'll save a staggering amount of money. But you gotta like boiled veg.

I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Xiongmao in Zhejiang (China)

Post by xiongmao »

Some photos of Ningbo now posted on my Zhejiang blog.

I'll take some more once it warms up - it's actually snowing today.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

That's awesome xiongmao, nice pics.
It looks pretty desolate though, is it normally like that? Is that why you say the dating is not good there?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Thanks. I guess most people are at work. But then China's weird in that everyone goes on holiday at the same time - hive mind.

Dating has been dead. Read my story here on the HA blog.

Maybe Tinder and its clones have killed off dating in China and everywhere else.

On the plus side I have yet again saved an entire month's salary so teaching English here is pretty lucrative. At least I am building the ultimate MGTOW warchest of cash.
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

Sorry but that sounds truly dire, even my worst China experience wasn't anywhere near as bad as that. I just can't understand why you would give up a flourishing career in London's tech industry for such a marginal, low status, dateless, friendless existence in a shithole like Ningbo. Get your ass back down to Guangdong or Thailand where you were happy, ASAP!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

BUUUUUUUMP!

So I'm still in Zhejiang. I decided to renew my contract for another year. It was mostly a better-the-devil-you-know decision. Also it's much easier just to renew your contract as all the paperwork was done before I left China for the Summer.

Some people were asking for photos of Zhejiang. I've started a YouTube Channel so here's some moving photos. I've only got one video so far but I plan on adding a load more. I mainly want to cover what it's REALLY like teaching in China.

Please vote me up, comment, subscribe etc. etc. - TEFL is a brutally tough niche to get rankings for these days so I need all the help I can get!

What's going on in my life?
  • I still like teaching. It's a lot of fun even if I got lumbered with the boring accountancy majors this term. I just got a TEFL originally because it was a good way to work overseas, but I could now see it turning into a long term career thing.
  • A fun new teacher joined our school from Korea. I love MBTI and he is as "P" as it gets. Well he managed to plan his lessons but realised he hated teaching and has now found a non-teaching expat job in China. Seeya! Well I'm disappointed because he was a good wingman in as much as showing me stuff like bars and didi and taobao and "stealing" ofo bicycles - none of which I figured out on my own.
  • Zhejiang is still soulless. I had a bit of dating activity but to be honest I just don't want an East Asian woman in my life. Many years ago I took my Cantonese girl to Shanghai. We both felt out of place. I think I just feel more at home in Guangdong.
  • I might relocate to Southern China or Korea after this. I've found some jobs to apply for but can't do anything until after New Year.
  • I taught an IT course! So now I know what it would be like to teach something other than English. Teaching IT was great. However it took a long time to plan the lessons and a long time to mark all the classwork. Well it's something good for the resume.
  • I'm still stacking cash. I've done 3 wire transfers home this month. Thanks to stacking high yielding investments I make more from passive income each month than I do from my teaching job.
  • I've been playing around with embedded systems. I have a great idea for a gadget. If I move to near Shenzhen I'll try and get it made.
  • Although Zhejiang is soulless, it's not all bad. Now I can order stuff on TaoBao I have better heating in my room. I even have a bath! Also I brought lots of herbs and spices from home so this year I can cook stuff with more than the single type of curry powder you can buy in China.
  • Strangely, I've had less food poisoning here than I had in London. London was terrible - I used to get the sh1ts at least once a month from dodgy sandwich bars. Aside from the air, Zhejiang is pretty clean. And the air isn't always bad as it's pretty windy here so it blows away most of the time.
  • One more highlight - I appeared on Chinese TV. I'll try and post the clip when I've edited it out of the show.
I did have an interview for a job in Thailand but turned it down. The boss was Western guy (usually a bad sign) and the salary was low (no free apartment either).

I've met a lot more expats here. It's possible to do really well here - big fish in small pond and all that. But it does require a lot of going out and knocking on doors.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Another video - this time talking about the weather and what it's like to teach in China...

Look at that blue sky. Well grey really. Still, it's not bad and it's warmer than it would be in Northern Europe right now.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Mini campus tour:

I made this for a lesson - I got the students to make tour guide videos. Many of their efforts were much better than mine :D.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Have you been to Ningbo and Ninghai? Nothing particularly special about them except that I lived there for a time.