Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
User avatar
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5945
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am
Contact:

What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by Ghost » August 4th, 2018, 10:44 pm

I learned that there is a balance to everything and that you can never have everything you want in one place and situation. This isn't only about living abroad, but applies to life in general.

For example, you want a bigger, better dating pool, so you move to a major city. The options are better, but the city is a soulless rat race where people aren't friendly and never stop to relax and enjoy life.

Or another example, you get a job you love, but the area is a social and dating wasteland.

There are always sacrifices to make, where ever you go, whatever you do.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

CannedHam
Freshman Poster
Posts: 120
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by CannedHam » August 5th, 2018, 12:14 am

I learned how much big US cities suck compared to places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1522
Joined: September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 am

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by Johnny1975 » August 5th, 2018, 11:19 am

I wonder how easy and practical it would be to live in 2 countries.
Location Independent Expat Relocate​

If you want to move abroad, but you can't decide where, I can help you.

http://lierelocate.weebly.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwS_hq ... qZA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hVcm9GFFb9

https://twitter.com/LocIndExpRel

User avatar
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5945
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am
Contact:

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by Ghost » August 5th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Johnny1975 wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 11:19 am
I wonder how easy and practical it would be to live in 2 countries.
If you have money or family roots not going back too far, it's doable.

For the rest of us, marry a local, become a lifer in the TEFL field, or be a permanent backpacker / tourist.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

HappyGuy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: August 6th, 2018, 7:10 am

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by HappyGuy » August 10th, 2018, 6:10 am

CannedHam wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 12:14 am
I learned how much big US cities suck

places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.
Then why do Asians from those very cities keep coming to America! and Canada and Australia.

CannedHam
Freshman Poster
Posts: 120
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by CannedHam » August 10th, 2018, 10:39 pm

HappyGuy wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 6:10 am
CannedHam wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 12:14 am
I learned how much big US cities suck

places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.
Then why do Asians from those very cities keep coming to America! and Canada and Australia.
I don't exactly see hoards of Japanese and Singaporeans dying come live in the US. Hong Kong is a bit different, largely due to the astronomical COL that they can't fully control (thanks to mainland Chinese snapping up all the housing).

And most that do come live in nice suburbs with good schools, not urban areas.

fdiv
Freshman Poster
Posts: 87
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 11:35 am

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by fdiv » September 18th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Ghost wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 10:44 pm
I learned that there is a balance to everything and that you can never have everything you want in one place and situation. This isn't only about living abroad, but applies to life in general.

For example, you want a bigger, better dating pool, so you move to a major city. The options are better, but the city is a soulless rat race where people aren't friendly and never stop to relax and enjoy life.

Or another example, you get a job you love, but the area is a social and dating wasteland.

There are always sacrifices to make, where ever you go, whatever you do.
That there's no substitute for actually going overseas to experience it. Yes you can research information online about a place but information is not knowledge. As a result, once you get beyond very basic information about a place, everything becomes distracting noise. There are so many trolls and biased people that it's best to ignore the bullshit to avoid the negative influence it will have on you (doubt, etc).

One good example is "oh all filipinas only want you for your money". Hm......
Funny, because there was a friend of girl I was with that kept wanting to "boom boom" with me, which I kept politely refusing. Finally after a few days of that I just offered to give her some money flat out, just to help her (yes the same amount) and to stop her nagging. Guess what, she didn't just take the free money and kept bugging me for "boom boom", jeez! LOL! Isn't that funny? That's 100% proof (unless you reject my story) that ALL filipinas JUST want your money (and have no attraction to YOU).

There's tons of other BS I heard about but didn't experience personally or thought wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't think the pollution was really THAT bad in Angeles. Most of the "scams" were just typical commercial crap you experience here in the US (extra surprise fees, etc). Pretty easy to avoid.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)

HappyGuy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: August 6th, 2018, 7:10 am

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by HappyGuy » September 28th, 2018, 11:46 pm

I learned that worrying is even worse than dealing with bad things that happen.

And from that feeling of "Why didn't I try this sooner?" I learned it's better to live and learn and make mistakes than to hesitate and plan too long to travel. Time is ticking away and we're all getting older. If your life is going nowhere then visit some new places, the moment will never be just right.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories”