Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

What a difference 1,300 miles (and 20 years) can make!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

traveller
Freshman Poster

What a difference 1,300 miles (and 20 years) can make!

Post by traveller » August 9th, 2018, 5:31 am

In another thread, I told everyone that Chicago, Illinois is, hands down, the #1 worst dating scene in the Western Hemisphere. Well, I am visiting Chicago from Florida, and it's like I don't even know the neighborhood I grew up in anymore. I checked out a place called Junior's Sports Bar in Chicago's west suburb of Berwyn the other night. Not surprisingly of course, not a single one of the other customers even bothered to say "Hi" to me at all. And there is no hugging the bartenders or waitresses at all in the State of Illinois. Totally unlike in Florida where bartenders and waitresses hug their customers all the time. I can literally feel just how absolutely toxic, paranoid, and defensive Berwyn has become. Since my graduation from Morton West High School, the entire population of Berwyn has completely turned over, literally like the fictional ocean liner Poseidon when it was struck by a rogue wave. I have even ridden through several areas of Berwyn, and have seen nobody playing outside in any front or back yards at all. I have not even visited the Berwyn rec center or Pavek Pool in many years, that severely has Berwyn's once friendly social atmosphere collapsed as the friendly Europeans moved out and fake and superficial people moved in. I also noticed that the "whites" in Berwyn today appear to be plain straight American.

growup
Freshman Poster

Re: What a difference 1,300 miles (and 20 years) can make!

Post by growup » August 9th, 2018, 9:13 pm

My dear, it might just be you, or it may be the places you're going.
I was just in Chicago in May, and while I don't frequent bars at all, I did get to catch up with some friends and even met some new people.
Best of luck :)

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost » August 10th, 2018, 4:22 am

growup wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 9:13 pm
I was just in Chicago in May, and while I don't frequent bars at all, I did get to catch up with some friends and even met some new people.
Yeah, Chicago.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

gsjackson
Veteran Poster

Post by gsjackson » August 10th, 2018, 5:43 am

growup wrote:
I'm guessing that some of the Polish enclave in Chicago -- the city with the second largest Polish population after Warsaw -- is still distinctive enough from the mainstream culture to have some vibrancy and sense of community remaining. Or no? In any case, full assimilation, and the end of community, is on the near horizon.

HappyGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyGuy » August 10th, 2018, 6:00 am

Well you know what they say, "all it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing"

The culture changed gradually but American men were probably too busy beating their chests and lying about how much p***y they were getting to admit there was a problem

growup
Freshman Poster

Post by growup » August 10th, 2018, 11:06 am

gsjackson wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 5:43 am
growup wrote:
I'm guessing that some of the Polish enclave in Chicago -- the city with the second largest Polish population after Warsaw -- is still distinctive enough from the mainstream culture to have some vibrancy and sense of community remaining. Or no? In any case, full assimilation, and the end of community, is on the near horizon.
You're right...but I didn't visit the Polish enclave.
I was in the same area that traveller was, except I don't frequent bars.

traveller
Freshman Poster

Post by traveller » August 13th, 2018, 10:54 pm

growup wrote:
I know what it is. You made new friends with the new people that moved into Berwyn. Miss Growup, nobody, I repeat, nobody from my high school time period lives in Berwyn, Stickney, or Forest View anymore. They have all moved away after high school. Many have moved to the satellite communities (Yorkville, Channahon, Rockford, Oregon, Freeport, Utica, etc). Some have moved out of state, some have moved to Chicago proper (and right into Chicago's enormous 'hood,' including River North which is immensely far worse in terms of violent crime than the Garfield Park area), and a few have even moved out of the country. And as far as I know it, their entire families have also moved far away, and that is the reason for the vast majority of them moving away.

traveller
Freshman Poster

Post by traveller » August 13th, 2018, 11:19 pm

It also is really sad how Illinoisans can literally forget everyone they met and become total strangers again. The other day on my way to Junior's, I ran into someone who ran a church group I used to be a part of, and she did not remember me at all.

The difference in community is also a huge letdown, too. There is practically nothing to do in Chicagoland! I used to only hang out at shopping malls, forest preserves, department stores, and occasionally the Garfield Park Conservatory when I had respite care. The suburbs (Brookfield, LaGrange, Countryside, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, and such) is all one huge business-only zone, and it is no surprise that Illinoisans live only to work and that's it. In Illinois it appears, nobody ever steps outdoors at all except for on the way to and from school and work. East of California Avenue in Chicago proper is one huge endless war zone and a culture of guns, death, violence, and illegal drugs. South of 127th Street is another endless war zone that covers the entire south suburbs area east of Illinois Route 50/Cicero Avenue all the way south to Steger and Governor State University and eastward non-stop through Gary, Indiana. Even Downtown Chicago is a horribly violent, extremely bad neighborhood, far too dangerous to even drive through in broad daylight.

growup
Freshman Poster

Post by growup » August 14th, 2018, 12:32 am

my dear, you're not that much older than I am...and a good majority of the people I attended grade school and high school with still live in Berwyn/Cicero/Stickney.
All of those shopping malls and forest preserves are still there...I visited them when I went home to see my parents.
I even drove through Gary, Indiana without being shot.
It's really not that bad. I'm sorry that you have bad experiences, but posting things that aren't true isn't going to get you anywhere.