Is Our Earth FLAT and Motionless, Not a Spinning Globe?

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Earth is FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe!

Post by gsjackson »

MrPeabody wrote:What Jesus and Flat Earthers don't know. This information is more valuable than anything in the New Testament.

Handwashing with soap removes germs from hands. This helps prevent infections because:

People frequently touch their eyes, nose, and mouth without even realizing it. Germs can get into the body through the eyes, nose and mouth and make us sick.

Germs from unwashed hands can get into foods and drinks while people prepare or consume them. Germs can multiply in some types of foods or drinks, under certain conditions, and make people sick.

Germs from unwashed hands can be transferred to other objects, like handrails, table tops, or toys, and then transferred to another person’s hands.

Removing germs through handwashing therefore helps prevent diarrhea and respiratory infections and may even help prevent skin and eye infections.

Teaching people about handwashing helps them and their communities stay healthy. Handwashing education in the community:

Reduces the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by 31% 1, 2

Reduces diarrheal illness in people with weakened immune systems by 58% 3

Reduces respiratory illnesses, like colds, in the general population by 16-21% 2, 4

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html
There is a very large percentage of the population who are oblivious to health concerns, even self-destructive in many cases, and these stats are for them. Germs are far from their biggest problem, though they may sometimes be the proximate cause of a disease that had been built into their way of life and was inevitable. Focus your thoughts and habits on good health, and you won't need to worry about micro-organisms, as Jesus knew.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Jesus was speaking to poor people, many in bad health. The typical person he was speaking to may have gone most or all of his life without eating any meat. They didn't have strong immune systems. The hideous disease leprosy was common and caused by a bacteria. The pharisees made people wash their hands as part of the religion. In those times, getting clean water wasn't trivial so you didn't want to waste it and needed a good reason to wash your hands. The pharisees provided it. The pharisees were much more intelligent than Jesus, who was a country bumpkin.
Last edited by MrPeabody on October 2nd, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

--
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gsjackson wrote: Thanks for the absolution, but I think I crossed the line when I speculated about the reasons for House's suicidal thoughts. It was dime store psychology, and I apologize to him. I just started seeing red when he called you stupid, twice.
We've all said things when we were provoked. It's not like you just said it out of nowhere. He was engaging in conflict for no reason.

I know I said something about one guy on this forum about five years ago (it was truth from his own lips and not a slander, but I probably should have kept my mouth shut), and he still pops out of nowhere to attack me and still holds a grudge over it. I don't fire back though. It's not for me to return railing for railing. I hold my peace, because, I have seen what happens to many of these people who lift their tongues up frequently to evil. Only the Lord is able to repay people for what they say and do wrongly (unless you are a parent, a judge of the government or some official).
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

MrPeabody wrote:What Jesus and Flat Earthers don't know. This information is more valuable than anything in the New Testament.
The New Testament contains the words that are able to make those who can believe in Christ wise unto salvation. For those who are unable to believe, for the God-haters and the proud, for those who love evil more than righteousness, the NT is the equivalent of any religious text. And for the atheists, it holds no meaning at all.

There is no other religion on earth which tells us that salvation is by faith alone, that by simply believing in the sacrifice of Christ, a person is saved. Christ kept all the commandments of God, thereby fulfilling and conquering the law. Therefore salvation is outside the law. It is simply by faith in Christ, because He's done all the work to rescue those who believe in Him from hell.

The unfortunate souls who refuse to believe, or who think their works must be added to the work of Christ, or who believe in their own works for salvation (karma, doing good, sacraments, baptism, etc.) to save them, will fall short of the glory of God, because only the Son of God could fulfill the whole law perfectly, from day one at His birth until death.

Those other religions are all based upon works of the individual, and our own works can't save or maintain salvation, because salvation is by faith alone (and anyone introducing works, such as repentance of sins for salvation, through the side door is in trouble). Christ kept the law and died for all our sins. Nobody can add to Christ's work.

So to make light of the New Testament is not good. To insult the Son of God is not good. To reject Christ is not good. To blaspheme and mock Christ and the Bible is not good. You have even come fairly close to calling Christ an evil-doer. It might be better for you if you stopped this activity now.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Handwashing with soap removes germs from hands. This helps prevent infections because:

People frequently touch their eyes, nose, and mouth without even realizing it. Germs can get into the body through the eyes, nose and mouth and make us sick.

Germs from unwashed hands can get into foods and drinks while people prepare or consume them. Germs can multiply in some types of foods or drinks, under certain conditions, and make people sick.

Germs from unwashed hands can be transferred to other objects, like handrails, table tops, or toys, and then transferred to another person’s hands.

Removing germs through handwashing therefore helps prevent diarrhea and respiratory infections and may even help prevent skin and eye infections.

Teaching people about handwashing helps them and their communities stay healthy. Handwashing education in the community:

Reduces the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by 31% 1, 2

Reduces diarrheal illness in people with weakened immune systems by 58% 3

Reduces respiratory illnesses, like colds, in the general population by 16-21% 2, 4

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html
They literally don't believe in germ theory. Omfg, this level of ignorance is literally astounding.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I think this thread has suffered enough of a derailment. If someone wants to make a thread on the germ theory of disease, they should do so, but this is not the thread for that discussion. This thread is about The FLAT EARTH.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Could someone answer the question of how we look like we are at the center of the universe from conventional cosmology?
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

According to current cosmology, there is no center of the Universe. There is no favored spot or boundry and everything is expanding equally. A rough analogy is the surface of an expanding balloon. The big bang doesn't create a center either, because the big bang was an expansion of space, not an expansion within space. Nevertheless, our view of the Universe is limited by the speed of light and the finite time since the Big Bang. The observable part of the universe is probably very small compared to the whole universe. Since we can't see the whole universe, we can never actually verify this, because we are assuming the universe in homogeneous and isotropic. If this assumption holds, then the Universe does not have a center.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrPeabody wrote:According to current cosmology, there is no center of the Universe. There is no favored spot or boundry and everything is expanding equally. A rough analogy is the surface of an expanding balloon. The big bang doesn't create a center either, because the big bang was an expansion of space, not an expansion within space. Nevertheless, our view of the Universe is limited by the speed of light and the finite time since the Big Bang. The observable part of the universe is probably very small compared to the whole universe. Since we can't see the whole universe, we can never actually verify this, because we are assuming the universe in homogeneous and isotropic. If this assumption holds, then the Universe does not have a center.
Isn't this just a different variant of the "Unknowable will of God" line?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

That's how unreal it is. We know "the universe" exists because science says so, but nobody has ever verified that these things exist. Neither indeed can they! So the universe is expanding, but we can't verify it, and we only know about a tiny portion of it. Well if we only know about only a tiny portion, how is it confirmed that the rest of the universe even exists in the first place? (Oh the blasphemy!)

And if something is the source of an expansion, by definition, wouldn't that spot of expansion be at the center? The site of the bang would have to be the center of the universe. How could it not be, when that's the spot the expansion originated from?

Look at how these words are non sequitur. They don't even make sense. It's a suspension of thought to believe in fantasy.

And how can nothing expand in the first place? How can nothing explode? And how can nothing create something? It's just fantasy.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:Could someone answer the question of how we look like we are at the center of the universe from conventional cosmology?
The keepers of the global flame don't take questions, they just strike poses. Go ahead, ask a hundred. You won't get one answer. They simply invoke the magic totem word "science," and register astonishment at the level of ignorance in this age of enlightenment. Dubay posts a great take on the totem word -- a photograph of Richard Dawkins captioned: "I'm going to keep saying the word 'science' until you believe in monkey people." Yes, House, the sacred cow of evolution too. Be astounded.

I flew yesterday for the first time since becoming attuned to this issue. It was a very clear day in Arizona ad California, and I could see many miles off into the horizon. Just as the flat earthers say, the horizon always rises to eye level, no matter how high you go, on both sides of the plane. You cannot see any curvature of the earth at 34,000 feet, and according to FEers the same holds true when you go up 20 miles. Beyond that, we have to take the word of the mysterious and wondrously intelligent folks of space flight.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gsjackson wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Could someone answer the question of how we look like we are at the center of the universe from conventional cosmology?
The keepers of the global flame don't take questions, they just strike poses. Go ahead, ask a hundred. You won't get one answer. They simply invoke the magic totem word "science," and register astonishment at the level of ignorance in this age of enlightenment.

"I'm going to keep saying the word 'science' until you believe in monkey people." Yes, House, the sacred cow of evolution too.
It's just another god to believe in. Science to many of those who believe in it is the same as God to believers. That is science is the source of life to them. It is one of the gods, like the Romans had their various gods they all believed in. Science is but one of the modern gods which modern people believe in. They give it the glory for having made creation. It is the source of life itself. It has all wisdom and knowledge. And you better not dare lift up your tongue to question its wisdom. That's blasphemy against a god. And if you were a wise man, you would engulf yourself in its knowledge, and pay it heed with your lips, and sing its praise. And naturally only a fool would disbelieve science or rebel against it or fail to give it glory.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Adama wrote:That's how unreal it is. We know "the universe" exists because science says so, but nobody has ever verified that these things exist. Neither indeed can they! So the universe is expanding, but we can't verify it, and we only know about a tiny portion of it. Well if we only know about only a tiny portion, how is it confirmed that the rest of the universe even exists in the first place? (Oh the blasphemy!)

And if something is the source of an expansion, by definition, wouldn't that spot of expansion be at the center? The site of the bang would have to be the center of the universe. How could it not be, when that's the spot the expansion originated from?

Look at how these words are non sequitur. They don't even make sense. It's a suspension of thought to believe in fantasy.

And how can nothing expand in the first place? How can nothing explode? And how can nothing create something? It's just fantasy.
We can verify it is expanding pretty easily.

As to how something can come from nothing, I believe in God, I just don't believe in literal interpretation of the Bible.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:We can verify it is expanding pretty easily.
How can we verify expansion, other than red shift, which is just an unverifiable interpretation? If we accept the current view of expansion, we must accept the appearance of us being in the center of the universe. Do you believe we are literally in the center of the universe, and if not why does it seem so?