The Hebrew Yeshua vs. The Greek Jesus

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Hebrew Yeshua vs. The Greek Jesus

Post by fschmidt »

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/52_gordon.html

This is an excellent video about both Judaism and Christianity.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

While we're on this religious topic, here's something interesting. It's an recently done National Geographic special taking an inside look into the Vatican.

http://www.sockshare.com/file/3AC44EEFC56EB80B#
Think Different
Junior Poster

Re: The Hebrew Yeshua vs. The Greek Jesus

Post by Think Different »

fschmidt wrote:http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/52_gordon.html

This is an excellent video about both Judaism and Christianity.
This is really good stuff. Very smart guy. Some of his arguments are specious and I don't agree with his conclusions, but he does bring to light a lot of cultural perspective that are lost to history and biblical translation. It's pretty well established that the NT was written mainly in Greek (since that was the lingua franca of the known ancient world) and Aramaic (very similar to Hebrew). See the Amazon reviews of his book for more detail: http://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Yeshua-vs- ... ewpoints=1

On an interesting note, you may not be aware that the Old Testament you commonly see today is based on what are called the "Masoretic Texts" and were compiled into the current OT around the year 900AD/CE. During the time of Jesus and the Apostles, the Tanakh/Torah that they knew, quoted, and referred to was the GREEK Scriptures, written well before Jesus' time. That Greek translation of the OT is called the Septuagint (written by a team of 70 Jewish scholars). The reason for it to be compiled in Greek was for the same reason that the NT was written primarily in Greek: to reach as large of audience as possible. Many Jews even in Jesus' day were already in diaspora and no longer could read or understand Hebrew and needed Greek (the lingua franca) to understand their own scriptures. Only the Orthodox Church uses and recognizes the Septuagint in liturgical settings today (that I'm aware of).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The page is gone. What's the difference between the Hebrew Yeshua and the Greek Jesus? Are there any Jewish sources about Jesus outside of the Talmud, which is highly negative about Jesus I heard? @fschmidt

Also, why didn't the Jewish historian Philo of Alexandria, who lived at the same time as Jesus supposedly, mention anything about Jesus? Christians never want to address that it seems. How can they explain that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:
May 13th, 2018, 7:47 am
Are there any Jewish sources about Jesus outside of the Talmud, which is highly negative about Jesus I heard? @fschmidt

Also, why didn't the Jewish historian Philo of Alexandria, who lived at the same time as Jesus supposedly, mention anything about Jesus? Christians never want to address that it seems. How can they explain that?
Most of the Jews rejected Christ. It says so in the Bible. He was rejected of His own. Even today, the vast majority of the Pharisees, who call themselves Jews for some reason, reject Christ. They're too busy following the traditions of the elders, known as the Talmudtorah, not the Bible or the Old Testament or the real Torah.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Short video explaining how Yeshua became Jesus.

Documentary about the Hebrew Yeshua vs the Greek Jesus.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne