Best Bible Version?

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Best Bible Version?

Post by Cornfed »

Does anyone have any particular knowledge of the most useful version of the bible? The KJV is too abstruse and any attempt to read it cover to cover on my part is defeated through boredom. Also it is prone to misunderstandings due to translating allegorical statements word-for-word. I want something that translates for meaning in modern language, but stays authentic and on message. Is the TNIV any good?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I spent some time researching translations and I settled on the HCSB. Of course I would like to read the Old Testament in Hebrew someday. I'm Jewish but I don't like the rabbinic translations since they twist things in a Talmudic way.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

When I was a Xtian, I preferred the NIV.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The NIV and NAS are modern versions. However, it's not clear how accurate their translations are. Why not try the New King James version? It removes the "thees and thous" while retaining the beauty and poetry of the KJV.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Just learn Greek, a proper White man's language, not like Latin or its derivatives like English. And if the slave currently reading this can't overcome his conditioning and contain his slave tenancies and is about to respond with "English is a Germanic language"... okay. I've also heard that the Koran was originally written in Aramaic not Arabic but have nothing to validate this. But there's something to the Jews hating Aramaic, and for example Armenians, because those are some of the groups they stole "Hebrew" language & culture from. And that doesn't fit into Jewry's concept of being a special race chosen by god to be a light to the world. When their language isn't even as old as that of camel fuckers (Arabic), they are naturally desperate to rewrite history and erase the existence of certain people from it. It would also support that Jesus wasn't Jewish.

From my research the [classic] Catholic versions are less diluted than the [old] Protestant Bibles. If you're limited to English try to find Bibles published before the Civil War. You'd be surprised how much corruption "they" got away with without any notification of revisions. It would be great to buy a 300+ year old Bible written in English (and there were in fact some before the 1611 KJV). This would cost thousands but old books are built to last and an excellent long-term investment and easy to store unlike large works of art and other appreciating antiques. It might take you a while to sell if you're in desperate need of cash but I seriously doubt you'd lose money buying really old books, even when selling them during a recession. Knowledge is power and has always been sought by the crafty and when acquired, kept from the plebs.

Mr_Truth
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr_Truth »

The standard version for English-speaking Catholics is Douay-Rheims. It faithfully translates from the Latin Vulgate, the officially sanctioned Latin translation of the Bible.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

king James version 1611 is what I've had growing up and been given the idea it's a direct translation and what couldn't be translated was carried over, so you get a unadulterated message, at least as well as you can when it isn't in the original language.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

I use a NIV study bible that includes alternate translations used in other versions as well as contextual references to the original Hebrew in the Old Testament. It allows you to vet a feel for the original intent of the language and how it has been modified over the years. Reading the old testament in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek is the ideal situation though, with the oldest versions being the least corrupted.