Welcome to our new upgraded phpbb 3.2 forum! The upgrade is now complete. See announcement and new features here, or report any problems or issues here. Thanks for your patience.



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics


The Benedict Option

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt » July 4th, 2015, 5:11 am

There was some discussion of the Benedict Option in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own. Here as the article that introduced the idea:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/benedict-option/

This forum is "happier abroad" but the Benedict Option offers an alternative to going abroad for those wanting to escape from American culture. Because I think modern culture is a global disease, I much prefer the idea of the Benedict Option to going abroad.

The Benedict Option is presented from a Christian perspective, but in fact Moses basically exercised the Benedict Option, as did the Essenes. The core idea of forming communities away from mainstream culture is applicable to any religion or cultural movement.

My dream is apply the Benedict Option to Biblic Judaism. We now have 4 members and I am looking for land in rural Texas where we can settle. Anyone here whose morals are compatible with the Bible would be welcome to join us. Note that we don't care about belief, you can be Christian or Atheist in belief, we don't care as long as you support morality.

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by HouseMD » July 4th, 2015, 6:53 am

fschmidt wrote:There was some discussion of the Benedict Option in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own. Here as the article that introduced the idea:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/benedict-option/

This forum is "happier abroad" but the Benedict Option offers an alternative to going abroad for those wanting to escape from American culture. Because I think modern culture is a global disease, I much prefer the idea of the Benedict Option to going abroad.

The Benedict Option is presented from a Christian perspective, but in fact Moses basically exercised the Benedict Option, as did the Essenes. The core idea of forming communities away from mainstream culture is applicable to any religion or cultural movement.

My dream is apply the Benedict Option to Biblic Judaism. We now have 4 members and I am looking for land in rural Texas where we can settle. Anyone here whose morals are compatible with the Bible would be welcome to join us. Note that we don't care about belief, you can be Christian or Atheist in belief, we don't care as long as you support morality.

How many of your members are female?

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by Adama » July 4th, 2015, 6:57 am

Why would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by HouseMD » July 4th, 2015, 7:00 am

Adama wrote:WHy would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.

You don't happen to be Adam Lyons, right? Haven't seen the dude in years, but your pic could totally be an older him.

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt » July 4th, 2015, 7:04 am

HouseMD wrote:How many of your members are female?

I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt » July 4th, 2015, 7:05 am

Adama wrote:WHy would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.

Different people need different things. I need a community.

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by HouseMD » July 4th, 2015, 7:09 am

fschmidt wrote:
HouseMD wrote:How many of your members are female?

I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.

Do these men have wives already?

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt » July 4th, 2015, 7:18 am

HouseMD wrote:Do these men have wives already?

2 of 4 do.

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1384
Joined: August 23rd, 2007, 5:17 pm

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by The_Adventurer » July 4th, 2015, 8:11 am

And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan

fschmidt
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt » July 4th, 2015, 8:21 am

The_Adventurer wrote:And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?

They have no reason because we don't threaten them.

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1384
Joined: August 23rd, 2007, 5:17 pm

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by The_Adventurer » July 4th, 2015, 9:49 am

fschmidt wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?

They have no reason because we don't threaten them.


http://govtslaves.info/camping-is-now-child-abuse-michigan-seizes-kids-to-punish-family-for-off-grid-camping-trip/
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by Adama » July 4th, 2015, 1:19 pm

fschmidt wrote:
HouseMD wrote:How many of your members are female?

I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.



It is a nice idea, but I don't think I could sign up to be with other people. What happens when someone agrees at the moment, but a few months later, they decided they aren't going to keep up with the rules anymore? That will pose a difficulty kicking them out, especially after they have otherwise established themselves.

And what happens if your buddy turns on you and becomes an internal adversary? I hate to sound dramatic, but there is a good chance that after some point, some individual man will want to rule the community Warren Jeffs style and decide to keep the women but kick the men off the property?

There is a chance there could be some bonding. But I think there is an equal chance it will go very badly.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5749
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by Ghost » July 4th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Franklin, what's going to be your group's solution for moving there and getting jobs? Or does everyone in the group have that figured out already?

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4437
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by Moretorque » July 4th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I think the best option is for people to quit being so ignorant and understand constitutional law and how America was supposed to operate. Like stated we live in a British colony, there will be no celebration on this day for me except for lots and lots of food. It's quite possible next 4th there may not be much of that.

The Red Coats are coming the Red Coats are coming the Red Coats are here.
Last edited by Moretorque on July 4th, 2015, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Hide!

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4437
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by Moretorque » July 4th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Adama wrote:
fschmidt wrote:
HouseMD wrote:How many of your members are female?

I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.



It is a nice idea, but I don't think I could sign up to be with other people. What happens when someone agrees at the moment, but a few months later, they decided they aren't going to keep up with the rules anymore? .


What do you mean what's going to happen ? there's gonna be a witch burning and you gonna lite the match. :P

Just think of it, independence day everyday of the year. What more could you ask for ?

You can start with anybody who thinks the world is a sphere. :roll:
Last edited by Moretorque on July 5th, 2015, 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Time to Hide!

Post Reply

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”