The Benedict Option

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Benedict Option

Post by fschmidt »

There was some discussion of the Benedict Option in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own. Here as the article that introduced the idea:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ct-option/

This forum is "happier abroad" but the Benedict Option offers an alternative to going abroad for those wanting to escape from American culture. Because I think modern culture is a global disease, I much prefer the idea of the Benedict Option to going abroad.

The Benedict Option is presented from a Christian perspective, but in fact Moses basically exercised the Benedict Option, as did the Essenes. The core idea of forming communities away from mainstream culture is applicable to any religion or cultural movement.

My dream is apply the Benedict Option to Biblic Judaism. We now have 4 members and I am looking for land in rural Texas where we can settle. Anyone here whose morals are compatible with the Bible would be welcome to join us. Note that we don't care about belief, you can be Christian or Atheist in belief, we don't care as long as you support morality.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: The Benedict Option

Post by HouseMD »

fschmidt wrote:There was some discussion of the Benedict Option in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own. Here as the article that introduced the idea:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ct-option/

This forum is "happier abroad" but the Benedict Option offers an alternative to going abroad for those wanting to escape from American culture. Because I think modern culture is a global disease, I much prefer the idea of the Benedict Option to going abroad.

The Benedict Option is presented from a Christian perspective, but in fact Moses basically exercised the Benedict Option, as did the Essenes. The core idea of forming communities away from mainstream culture is applicable to any religion or cultural movement.

My dream is apply the Benedict Option to Biblic Judaism. We now have 4 members and I am looking for land in rural Texas where we can settle. Anyone here whose morals are compatible with the Bible would be welcome to join us. Note that we don't care about belief, you can be Christian or Atheist in belief, we don't care as long as you support morality.
How many of your members are female?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Why would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Adama wrote:WHy would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.
You don't happen to be Adam Lyons, right? Haven't seen the dude in years, but your pic could totally be an older him.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

HouseMD wrote:How many of your members are female?
I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Adama wrote:WHy would anyone want to live in a commune? Just get your own home and do your own thing. You don't need the support of dozens or hundreds of like-minded people.
Different people need different things. I need a community.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

fschmidt wrote:
I am only counting men who will form families, so there will eventually be 4 families.
Do these men have wives already?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

HouseMD wrote:Do these men have wives already?
2 of 4 do.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The_Adventurer wrote:And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?
They have no reason because we don't threaten them.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

fschmidt wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:And what's to stop the powers from coming in, Waco style, and just taking your land and throwing you all in a dungeon somewhere?
They have no reason because we don't threaten them.
http://govtslaves.info/camping-is-now-c ... ping-trip/
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

fschmidt wrote:

It is a nice idea, but I don't think I could sign up to be with other people. What happens when someone agrees at the moment, but a few months later, they decided they aren't going to keep up with the rules anymore? That will pose a difficulty kicking them out, especially after they have otherwise established themselves.

And what happens if your buddy turns on you and becomes an internal adversary? I hate to sound dramatic, but there is a good chance that after some point, some individual man will want to rule the community Warren Jeffs style and decide to keep the women but kick the men off the property?

There is a chance there could be some bonding. But I think there is an equal chance it will go very badly.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 14th, 2020, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I think the best option is for people to quit being so ignorant and understand constitutional law and how America was supposed to operate. Like stated we live in a British colony, there will be no celebration on this day for me except for lots and lots of food. It's quite possible next 4th there may not be much of that.

The Red Coats are coming the Red Coats are coming the Red Coats are here.
Last edited by Moretorque on July 4th, 2015, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Adama wrote:
fschmidt wrote:

It is a nice idea, but I don't think I could sign up to be with other people. What happens when someone agrees at the moment, but a few months later, they decided they aren't going to keep up with the rules anymore? .
What do you mean what's going to happen ? there's gonna be a witch burning and you gonna lite the match. :P

Just think of it, independence day everyday of the year. What more could you ask for ?

You can start with anybody who thinks the world is a sphere. :roll:
Last edited by Moretorque on July 5th, 2015, 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Time to Hide!