Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

-----

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Does religion need both morality and the afterlife?

Yes, religion needs to explain both morality and the afterlife
50%
No, religion only needs to concern itself with morality
No votes
No, religion only needs to concern itself with correct beliefs
No votes
Other
50%

Total votes : 2

-----

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:05 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Does religion need to cover both...

Postby Yohan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 am

There is no indication, that anything like a 'God' might exist.

Modern research - about nuclear power, astronomy, medicine etc. - could solve many issues nowadays which were considered to be 'tabu' in the past. All was 'Made by God'.

But even if there is some reason to believe there is a 'God', it is no proof for any afterlife.

About the soul, we do not know if it exists and even if a soul exists, we do not know what will happen with it after death.

Has the soul a form of consciousness and if yes, what consciousness might it be? Those of a newborn child or of a very old senile person not even aware to be 'alive' or an' intelligent soul' which can make decisions?

No faithful believer of any religion could ever answer these questions to me.

I voted 'others', I do not believe in any religion.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Cornfed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:37 am

Religion needs to make you want to be a part of something outside yourself, allowing teamwork even when it is not in the individuals' apparent best interests. Perhaps in desert communities day to day survival was hard enough and the likelihood that your children would survive was hard enough that you wouldn't need an afterlife motive. But in most societies I would agree that you need some kind of rationale as to why you should care about anything besides yourself.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:26 am

Cornfed wrote:Religion needs to make you want to be a part of something outside yourself, allowing teamwork even when it is not in the individuals' apparent best interests. Perhaps in desert communities day to day survival was hard enough and the likelihood that your children would survive was hard enough that you wouldn't need an afterlife motive. But in most societies I would agree that you need some kind of rationale as to why you should care about anything besides yourself.

But wouldn't desert dwellers even wonder if there was more meaning to their existence than to be born in the desert and to spend their lives trying to survive? I think they would need a more profound motivation as anyone else would. That's my guess, but I'm assuming that spiritually all people have the same needs. I could be wrong.

What do you think is the best rationale for caring about others and the greater good?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MrMan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Ghost,

Where is your evidence that reincarnation was ever a mainstream Christian belief? From the Biblical texts, we can see that early Christians, like many Jews believed in the physical resurrection of the body from the dead. Christ rose, and those who are His will rise as well. This belief shows up in the early creeds and is still the belief of Christians whose beliefs are orthodox on this particular subject.

But it seems like the belief of disembodied bliss in 'heaven' gets a lot more emphasis among some Christians these days. The Bible doesn't delve into the topic of the state of the dead before the resurrection. There are a few comments and hints. But that certainly isn't the emphasis in the New Testament when it comes to the topic of the afterlife.
MrMan
Experienced Poster

Return to Religion and Spirituality