Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Why Jesus is NOT the only way to God - 6 Logical Reasons

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster

Re: Why Jesus is NOT the only way to God - 6 Logical Reasons

Post by TruthSeeker » January 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Joel Osteen says "there are many paths to Jesus"

But this does not make sense. The Hindus don't point you to Jesus. The Muslims don't point you to Jesus. The Buddhists don't point you to Jesus. Other religions don't point you to Jesus so what is this guy talking about?

Is he talking about Christian denominations?

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » January 26th, 2018, 5:18 am

MrMan wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 4:42 pm
Winston wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 6:02 am
Update: I've added a 6th logical reason now to the OP. Check it out in the first post.

@Adama and @MrMan, why can't you address my points? You have to admit that they are logical and make sense. That's why you can't refute them and are speechless. The more you think about my points, the more you realize they make sense and are sound and reasonable. God bestowed you with reason and critical thinking, so why are you afraid to use it? If God didn't want you think or reason, he wouldn't have given you such abilities. Think about it. lol
My answer to Paine is this, God is powerful and able to communicate through His Word as well, which requires us to think and reason to understand. God can also give men insight and understanding, in spite of some being confused or using malleable words as an excuse for rejecting the truth.

You are the one arguing against God being able to communication through reason and intelligence (since words are malleable and that whole other line of reasoning.) Now you are using the idea that God gave us reason and critical thinking. You can't have it both ways.

I would also say Paine's argument is poor. Malleability of language is not proof that the all-wise God cannot communicate through word. Words being malleable doesn't prove that is not possible.
Well even if God did try to give us his word in a book like the Bible, the problem is, it was still written by HUMANS, and since humans are imperfect and have their biases, then it logically follows that the Bible does too. Right? It's very simple logic. Anyone can see that the Bible authors had different writing styles too. If it was all God's word, every word of it, then why would it have different styles?

European Christians of the last 2000 years were reasonable and realistic and did not demand that every word in the Bible be infallible. They knew very well that it was imperfect and written by humans, and that the core message was what mattered. The doctrine of Biblical infallibility is a modern American invention that was created in the 1800's. It's not part of traditional Christianity as American Evangelicals assume.

I know your assumption is that if it's God's word, then God will protect it. But that's an ad hoc argument and pure speculation and is circular reasoning too. It assumes that God wrote every word of the Bible. It's not logical. But Paine's argument is logical and consistent and would be agreed with by even Spock or Data from Star Trek. It follows simple linear logic.
Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston » January 26th, 2018, 5:23 am

TruthSeeker wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 7:27 pm
Joel Osteen says "there are many paths to Jesus"

But this does not make sense. The Hindus don't point you to Jesus. The Muslims don't point you to Jesus. The Buddhists don't point you to Jesus. Other religions don't point you to Jesus so what is this guy talking about?

Is he talking about Christian denominations?
I think he meant that there are many paths to God. That is a popular view among people who believe in God but not organized religion. It is a New Age view too. Osteen's preaching contains a lot of New Age stuff too, like attracting wealth and abundance, and that God is only a God of love, not punishment, etc. It's a politically correct view too, to say that all religions are equal and can get you to God. But I think it makes some sense for the 6 reasons I gave in the OP.
Check out my fun video clips in Russia and video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

See my HA Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama » January 26th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Joel Osteen apparently doesn't realize that salvation is by faith alone.

I do believe though, if a person prays to God to reveal to him the proper way, that God may point that man to Christ. Then that person must believe in Christ. God may send that person a soul winner after that person prays to God to show him the proper way of salvation.

And notice the first question that Oprah asks is about homosexuals. They want to teach that it is okay to be homosexual. Well it is about as okay as being a murderer.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster

Post by TruthSeeker » January 26th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Winston wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 5:23 am
I think he meant that there are many paths to God. That is a popular view among people who believe in God but not organized religion. It is a New Age view too. Osteen's preaching contains a lot of New Age stuff too, like attracting wealth and abundance, and that God is only a God of love, not punishment, etc. It's a politically correct view too, to say that all religions are equal and can get you to God. But I think it makes some sense for the 6 reasons I gave in the OP.
No, that's not what he's saying. He's parroting the Biblical sentiment that Jesus is the only way to the Father (John 14:6) but that there are many ways to Jesus. So from one perspective he's right but he's trying to water it down so that his words don't sound so harsh and dogmatic. He does this to gain a wider audience.

MrMan
Veteran Poster

Post by MrMan » January 26th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Winston, God is able to communicate in spite of human weakness.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama » January 27th, 2018, 4:55 pm

So many people make such a big deal out of this homosexual issue. They want us to believe that homosexuals are just like heterosexuals. Not so. Just like if a person is a serial murderer, it is probably the case that, such people are loosed and unwanted.

There is a limit as to how far God will let a person go before He casts them away. Those who will be saved can only go so far. So if a person can exceed a certain limit (breaking the yoke of God), especially if they are doing it for pleasure, then that person may turn themselves into a living dead person: a reprobate - the unwanted and rejected.

If a person willingly gets down in the mud and loves playing in the mud, and loves living like a filthy animal (spiritually), then it is likely that God will release them so that they can have their desires. The bridle will be removed so they can live like an animal, rather than a godly person. Just like if a person takes up murdering other people for their personal delight and pleasure (as opposed to war or self defense), that person may become a cast away and a reprobate, losing their inheritance of eternal life.

The way of life is narrow, and people forget that God hates sin. Those who've had pleasure in unrighteousness are in trouble and may never live again. Salvation may never be shown to filthy animals.