An intelligent Christian

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: An intelligent Christian

Post by Adama »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote: You should be embarrassed that you, as an adult, have let these myths, fairy tales, and mind tricks rule your existence. Every major religion has its myths, fairy tales, and mind tricks, but the Christian faith seemingly has the most patently ridiculous of them all.

Do you know how you come off? "I implore you to suspend your logic, intellect and better judgment and simply follow with blind faith for if you do not, the fires of hell will burn away at your flesh and the searing pain will last for an eternity. Hark, he who abandons reason (which was given to him by god in the first place) and follows him is among the most virtuous and will live eternally in paradise, just as long as you perpetuate the fearmongering and brainwashing and contribute to the weekly till." Reeeaaaally?

But so long as you are not infecting children with this blather, I say let the fools who would believe such nonsensical drivel do so to their detriment.

It is pure evil masquerading as righteousness and you, sir, should be deeply ashamed!
I evangelize young and old alike. It only takes one moment to believe and be saved. It's easy. The only shameful part is that many people refuse to believe and therefore cannot be saved. However I don't brainwash anyone, and after a short two to twenty minute receiving of the gospel, I never see these people again or know anything about them whatsoever. Brainwashing is something that takes place over time. Getting saved only takes a moment.

The Book of Jude also predicts that in the last days there will be scoffers walking after their own lusts.

And once saved it becomes apparent that live righteously is the best way to go.

Also I can't think of anything detrimental which I have received. Not even the condemnation from unbelievers. I have actually found that after someone has been mocking me for an extended period of time that good things happen for me afterward. There is reward even in persecution for the Christian. The unbeliever who rejects Christ only gets the pleasure of sin for a season. And the sin which they love more than Christ is the most twisted type of sin, that normal people couldn't conceive of.

Richard Dawkins, a famous God hater, tells us that lite pedophilia is okay. He was fondled as a boy in a boarding school and approves of it as normal. Reprobates love ungodliness and crookedness and perversity.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

wingfeather wrote:Even the great Albert Einstein believed in higher power. I am yet to meet a modern day "free thinker" who is more intelligent, more scientific than Einstein...
This is not a discussion on the existence of a higher power. It is a discussion on the foolish malarkey that is organized religious faith.

If you try to posit that Einstein was a person of religious faith, I'll call you a liar.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Adama wrote:
I evangelize young and old alike. It only takes one moment to believe and be saved. It's easy.

Also I can't think of anything detrimental which I have received. Not even the condemnation from unbelievers. I have actually found that after someone has been mocking me for an extended period of time that good things happen for me afterward. There is reward even in persecution for the Christian.
I have an idea. Since your mission is to "evangelize," try doing so in Muslim communities and see how long you last. I cannot say I approve of Islam either, but I do respect their forthright zeal in silencing arrogant Christian zealots like yourself.

Please let us know how that goes!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
Adama wrote:
I evangelize young and old alike. It only takes one moment to believe and be saved. It's easy.

Also I can't think of anything detrimental which I have received. Not even the condemnation from unbelievers. I have actually found that after someone has been mocking me for an extended period of time that good things happen for me afterward. There is reward even in persecution for the Christian.
I have an idea. Since your mission is to "evangelize," try doing so in Muslim communities and see how long you last. I cannot say I approve of Islam either, but I do respect their forthright zeal in silencing arrogant Christian zealots like yourself.

I don't know about communities. They seem to live interspersed with everyone else around here. No real ethnic Muslim neighborhoods. This isn't France or Dearborn. As a matter of fact though, I knocked on one Muslim family's door a couple of weeks ago. The man opened the door and said, "This is a Muslim house." Then we left.

Once someone declares their religion to me, generally I leave them alone, because most of them aren't interested in hearing what I have to say. Sectarians are often hard to win over.

Believe me, I encounter atheists also. When they say no, I leave them alone. I am not forcing anything on the unwilling. I had one guy a couple of weeks ago tell me that he was sure that God doesn't exist. I left him alone, but he just kept staring at me for a couple of minutes.

I am have been insulted and made fun of. And I had one Muslim man yell at me angrily and run up on me, but most of them either say they are Muslim and ignore me, or they just turn their backs on me and pretend as if I'm not there.

There are a few Muslims who have accepted Christ. I know of one personally.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Adama wrote:

By the way, if I didn't know better, I might suspect that you are wishing some harm would come to me at the hands of a Muslim. I hope nobody would wish ill upon me simply for wanting to talk to others about Christ.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Adama wrote:
Adama wrote:

By the way, if I didn't know better, I might suspect that you are wishing some harm would come to me at the hands of a Muslim. I hope nobody would wish ill upon me simply for wanting to talk to others about Christ.
It was you yourself who above said there is reward in persecution for the Christian. Well, Dearborn, MI, Northern VA, or London, England would be wonderful places to earn your reward for proselytizing, perhaps even the ultimate one.

I would feel different if you simply kept your faith to yourself, but because of the Christian mandate to try to convert people, you are here trying to jam damaging dogma down our throats. If some people reach out to you on the PM for more information, so be it, but I find the arrogance of the Christian zealot to be tiresome and dangerous.

I am not a believer in Christian orthodoxy, nor do I believe the ridiculous notion that Jesus Christ is GOD in any way shape or form. Most people in the world would agree with me on that.

Take your crusade to the Muslims and see if they are nearly as kind as I am with you in telling you that you are simply wrong. Yes, Mommy and Daddy and the Sunday School teachers and preachers all lied to you unwittingly. It is a tough pill to swallow, but tough!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Adama wrote:
Adama wrote:

It was you yourself who above said there is reward in persecution for the Christian. Well, Dearborn, MI, Northern VA, or London, England would be wonderful places to earn your reward for proselytizing, perhaps even the ultimate one.

I would feel different if you simply kept your faith to yourself, but because of the Christian mandate to try to convert people, you are here trying to jam damaging dogma down our throats. If some people reach out to you on the PM for more information, so be it, but I find the arrogance of the Christian zealot to be tiresome and dangerous.

I am not a believer in Christian orthodoxy, nor do I believe the ridiculous notion that Jesus Christ is GOD in any way shape or form. Most people in the world would agree with me on that.

Take your crusade to the Muslims and see if they are nearly as kind as I am with you in telling you that you are simply wrong. Yes, Mommy and Daddy and the Sunday School teachers and preachers all lied to you unwittingly. It is a tough pill to swallow, but tough!

Well I am not targeting any particular community. But if I were to go to such places, I would go with others and not alone.

Don't worry about me though. I will die at the time appointed.

You've already wished harm upon me at least twice in this thread when I have done nothing to you. You testify against yourself. It should be interesting in the end of time when we all get to see what happens.

So you've insulted me many times already. You've already cursed me.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Adama wrote: I don't know about communities. They seem to live interspersed with everyone else around here. No real ethnic Muslim neighborhoods. This isn't France or Dearborn. As a matter of fact though, I knocked on one Muslim family's door a couple of weeks ago. The man opened the door and said, "This is a Muslim house." Then we left.

Once someone declares their religion to me, generally I leave them alone, because most of them aren't interested in hearing what I have to say. Sectarians are often hard to win over.

Or you could have said to them in Arabic, "It's great that you want to submit to God in this house. We want to tell you have you can really submit to God."

If someone says, "I'm Jewish", you can say, "What a coincidence. My Rabbi is Jewish!"
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I watched the videos. He sounds smart and most of what he says makes sense. I guess my only question is are very old disputes like the filioque really relevant to someone who just wants a decent church service? For someone who just wants a gender segregated service, both Orthodox and Catholic would of been on an equal footing 50 years ago.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

drealm wrote:I watched the videos. He sounds smart and most of what he says makes sense. I guess my only question is are very old disputes like the filioque really relevant to someone who just wants a decent church service? For someone who just wants a gender segregated service, both Orthodox and Catholic would of been on an equal footing 50 years ago.
I just want a decent church with a proper sermon that makes you question and think about your relationship with god, not tells you. Modern churches are entertainment centres with bands, light show, slick powerpoint presentation, singing, arm waving and up and down in your seat. If i want entertainment i will go to a pub with a band. That is where entertainment belongs, not in a church.

They are about pulling in numbers to fill the bag. Best act gets more revenue.

Whether a woman is in the pew doesnt matter as i wont talk to her anyway.im there for the sermon. A woman mustnt be on the pulpit. And im going to go by pick in normal clothes, not some fashion show. They dont like it then it is the wrong church.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

MrMan wrote:
Adama wrote: I don't know about communities. They seem to live interspersed with everyone else around here. No real ethnic Muslim neighborhoods. This isn't France or Dearborn. As a matter of fact though, I knocked on one Muslim family's door a couple of weeks ago. The man opened the door and said, "This is a Muslim house." Then we left.

Or you could have said to them in Arabic, "It's great that you want to submit to God in this house. We want to tell you have you can really submit to God."

If someone says, "I'm Jewish", you can say, "What a coincidence. My Rabbi is Jewish!"
Just curious. How many times has this worked for you? I don't change what I say for anyone. For everyone, I say more or less the same things. So it doesn't matter what religion they are, they all are given the same treatment with similar words. The script is not altered just because they belong to a different sect.

The question is simple, Do they want to believe in Christ or don't they? That's the one answer that they must give in the affirmative. If they say no, I move on. No sense in me wasting my time talking to someone who rejects Christ when there are many who are able and willing to believe in Him. So I really don't waste time with Muslims and Jews. I also usually don't bother with Seventh Day Adventists or Jehovah's Witnesses either.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Adama wrote:
MrMan wrote:

Just curious. How many times has this worked for you? I don't change what I say for anyone. For everyone, I say more or less the same things. So it doesn't matter what religion they are, they all are given the same treatment with similar words. The script is not altered just because they belong to a different sect.

The question is simple, Do they want to believe in Christ or don't they? That's the one answer that they must give in the affirmative. If they say no, I move on. No sense in me wasting my time talking to someone who rejects Christ when there are many who are able and willing to believe in Him. So I really don't waste time with Muslims and Jews. I also usually don't bother with Seventh Day Adventists or Jehovah's Witnesses either.
Jehovahs spend their time going door to door trying to tell you about God. What makes them such an authority? The self rightousness that makes people think their faith, or their way of understanding God is the only right way and they must come to your home unasked to tell you turns people off. On the internet i can choose not to read or to delete. Come to my door and i can slam it in your fave and chase you away, and it has nothing to do with hating god.

If they are open to it they will ask or come to it themselves. If i have a theological question i will ask someone who studied theology and has a proven reputation in it, not some wingnut who comes to my door to tell me.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

drealm wrote:I watched the videos. He sounds smart and most of what he says makes sense. I guess my only question is are very old disputes like the filioque really relevant to someone who just wants a decent church service? For someone who just wants a gender segregated service, both Orthodox and Catholic would of been on an equal footing 50 years ago.
Yes, but what exactly are the benefits of segregated church services? Why would such a thing matter? Is there some spiritual benefit? Is it similar to the reasoning that men and women shouldn't work together?

I can't think of any legitimate reason to separate the sexes for church services. People can sit anywhere. Particularly, most people sit with their families and/or with friends they have met in church.

Of course being Christian the law forbids adultery. And a good wife is not going to become intimate friends with a man other than her husband.

The qualifications for the right church should be their doctrine. Are they teaching from the Bible? or are they teaching what Calvin or some other dude said? If they are preaching from the mind of a man who has not written a book in the Bible, then that church should be rejected.

So those false Christian denominations, whose prophets established their doctrine and invented a new church of their own, are not following God but some dead prophet.

Also, whether or not you like the pastor and the way he runs things, etc.

Segregated gender church services is not something God has told us to do.

I found this online:
The practice of separate seating has nothing to do with culture and has everything to do with maintaining a practice that has been around since even before the early Church, irrespective of culture, meant to inhibit the natural tendency to be distracted around members of the opposite sex, so as to preserve modesty and attention during worship.
That doesn't even sound appropriate. These people have a different way of thinking, if they can't concentrate on the service but instead are checking out members of the other gender when they should be singing and listening to the pastor.

There is even a specific physical partition found in synagogues, known as the mechitza, which is designed to separate the sexes. The Talmud implies that such separation was how the Israelites stood while receiving the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai (PdRE 41).
It's from the Talmudic Jews, and some deceived "Christians" accepted the version of the unbelieving Jews (Jews who rejected the OT in favor of the Oral Tradition of their Rabbis).
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I know a man who studies this sort of thing who says that first century Judaism may not have had the men and women sit separately.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The Catholic Church has historically been very corrupt and oppressive. The West only succeeded by rebelling against Catholicism. The twisting of the filioque was probably the first sign of this corruption, a willingness to twist truth for political purposes. Here is a good book for understanding the issues: