Christianity: Faith or Insanity?

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Christianity: Faith or Insanity?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

You be the judge....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLyza73rXY[/youtube]

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Christianity: Faith or Insanity?

How can they do such things to children?

YOU be the judge!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac[/youtube]
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Obviously the average person in modern society is retarded or insane, but that doesn't mean that all of their professed beliefs are inherently insane. For a somewhat rational explanation of Christianity, see Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:Obviously the average person in modern society is retarded or insane, but that doesn't mean that all of their professed beliefs are inherently insane. For a somewhat rational explanation of Christianity, see Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
Cornfed, this young man's denial of his sexual orientation reminds me of your denial about your sexual inadequacies when reminded of black men being sexual with white women.

Just as we know this young man is still gay, we know the sexual inadequacy issue still roils you deep down as well.

And what do you and this poor, young man have in common, sexual issues borne of the "Christian" mindset.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gBK4GbVow[/youtube]

OK, whatever makes you feel better about yourself........
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

What the f**k does that have to do with what he wrote? Nothing. You get an answer for your post and, then attack the person who answered you?

As for that man being gay no longer, what's hard to believe about that? Up until the 1980's, civilization wasn't retarded enough, they understood what sexual deviancy was, and that people have choices. That's one of the things I agree with a lot on old religions.

Christianity, imo hasn't really offered me anything substantially in my life, other than some fleeting good feelings. Without a total cultural aspect its not able to work, imo.
That's where ancient Judaism shines, as its based on logic and reasoning, and common sense.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Eric wrote:What the f**k does that have to do with what he wrote?
Epic DENIAL is the common factor. Christians tend to do that.
Eric wrote: As for that man being gay no longer, what's hard to believe about that?
Are you that naive?

The man is still GAY. It's because of Christian bigotry, that he feels the need to prance around and deny that he is no longer gay.

Well guess what? His name is Andrew Caldwell. Last year he admitted to dating men again. From my point of view, he should have never had to deny his homosexuality in the first place, but CHRISTIANITY BULLIES PEOPLE INTO DOING SO!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kn1QpgR7Eg[/youtube]
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Some practical reasons why Christians can't or won't acknowledge that they are wrong.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vutcR1sSnUY[/youtube]

It takes courage to admit being wrong, Christianity deprives people of that courage!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

In response to that last video, why do atheists do evil things like teach their children atheism and not teach them about God?

I heard there was a child of an atheist who asked his dad, "Is God angry at us because we do not believe in him?" Sometimes, children can be more insightful than their parents.

It doesn't make sense that an atheist who believes that we are just matter and energy would think that anything is truly evil. It would all just be electrons and molecules bumping around.

I teach my kids the Bible. We spend time studying the Bible and praying together just about every night. There are times we come home late or have guests or travel where we may not do so or just pray, but it is generally a nightly thing. I teach them that if there is a choice between denying Jesus and dying to stand firm in their faith. It would be wrong of me not to do that.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

It's all just a matter of perspective. Certain values in Christianity make perfect sense to me, and would make the world a better place if followed by more people. Other values are outdated or plainly wrong or hypocritical. But it all depends on how you interpret the Biblical texts and stories. Insanity, to me, is blind faith. But blind faith in, say, science or the economy, the government, or the innocence of your partner, is as insane as blind faith in any religion.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MrMan wrote:.....why do atheists do evil things like teach their children atheism and not teach them about God?
I see nothing wrong with the opinion, that 'God' does not exist.
I also see nothing wrong if you are an atheist to teach your children about atheism.

In Buddhism even a 'God' does not exist, despite it is considered to be a religion.

Religion is nothing but fantasy, human made. Often misused, see the Catholic church.
It's about to control people.

If you think it is OK to teach children about religion, I see no reason why it is not OK to teach children about atheism.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Certain values in Christianity make perfect sense to me, and would make the world a better place if followed by more people. Other values are outdated or plainly wrong or hypocritical.
An unbiased opinion, and a correct one. Nobody can argue with this. Religion is similar to alcohol. Some individuals can handle it and some can't. Too much of one thing is not good. People become ill.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

Certain things can taint you growing up, whether it's drugs or alcohol, addictions, pathologies, phobias, or sexual deviancies. This is just a fact of human nature. Humans are extremely complex and our behaviors often don't make sense and are emotional in origin. Much of it has to do with our family of origin and our upbringing, or what happened to us...belief structures we were taught, all these interactions go together to create complex human beings.

I don't buy the explanation "Born this way". It's simplistic and utter nonsense and insulting to the human condition. It's actually kind of a fascistic thinking that is kind of scary, in a way.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

In my case it was perfectionism, that really 'screwed' me up if you want to call it that. ...It profoundly affected my worldview, formations of attitudes and beliefs, my decision making and even my ability to emotionally self-regulate, if you can believe that. It's an all encompassing belief style, which I've gained more awareness of as I've gotten older and more mature (hopefully). Perfectionism is one of those insidious things that will eat your life out from the inside in so many ways, you don't even realize it, the problem with it is that it's rewarding in your accomplishments - so you don't want to give it up. Most don't, until it's too late. Most personality styles are overvalued and it's hard to see outside ourselves...everything comes from our own view. My attitude screwed me and I couldn't give it up, or wouldn't change it at all, that was a thing of being young. ..I still have to look at my attitudes and beliefs, and patterns and analyze them to change them or alter them to see if they are working for me. I'm a recovering perfectionist, much like a recovering alcoholic - and I always will be, for the rest of my life...(here's an article: https://www.ocdonline.com/the-right-stuff)
This insane, irrational personality style leaves you incredibly in self imposed isolation, hard work, idealism. It's responsible for some of the most genius people on the planet, but also the most intense suffering. I had a suffering and a self-persecution complex, It was severe asceticism and high standards.
So, to me...basically and I'll be honest. The most profound wisdom, discipline and etc., come from Judaism, simply because they offer logic, common sense and are based on sound principles. Not some esoteric belief systems that are based on "faith". There's nothing wrong with that but it does absolutely nothing when it comes to ethical personal discipline or hard work. Judaism gives a backbone for all that, and emphasize personal choice and action. Nothing could be more important, realistic or empowering in life, in my own personal opinion.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Eric wrote:Certain things can taint you growing up, whether it's drugs or alcohol, addictions, pathologies, phobias, or sexual deviancies. This is just a fact of human nature. Humans are extremely complex and our behaviors often don't make sense and are emotional in origin. Much of it has to do with our family of origin and our upbringing, or what happened to us...belief structures we were taught, all these interactions go together to create complex human beings.

I don't buy the explanation "Born this way". It's simplistic and utter nonsense and insulting to the human condition. It's actually kind of a fascistic thinking that is kind of scary, in a way.
None of that refutes that the man is GAY, no matter if nature or nurture is the cause.

Again, it is Christian bigotry that makes people feel torment and guilt for being gay. It does not matter the root cause of his homosexuality, HE'S GAY! "Christians" (and others) just get over it.....

For the record, homosexuality could be a result of EITHER nature or nurture. We need to get out of the dichotomous thinking on the matter.