Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happiness

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happiness

Postby Winston » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 am

This guy is wise and funny. He explains at the beginning that if you have too little, you aren't going to be happy, but if you have too much, you start worrying, stressing and not trusting people so your happiness starts going down. The peak point of happiness is in the middle, when you aren't rich or poor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-y1Xn4N8Q[/youtube]
Last edited by Winston on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby ladislav » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 am

If you think wealth does not buy happiness, try poverty!
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 am

"I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It's like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GDP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die." -- Warren Buffet

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happines

Postby globetrotter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 am

Winston wrote:This guy is wise and funny. He explains at the beginning that if you have too little, you aren't going to be happy, but if you have too much, you start worrying, stressing and not trusting people so your happiness starts going down. The peak point of happiness is in the middle, when you aren't rich or poor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-y1Xn4N8Q[/youtube]

This applies to countries. Those in the middle are happiest. Too much and the people become miserable. Chile, Israel and above. Too little and the people become miserable. Myanmar/Burma, Sierra Leone. At $10,000 PPP GDP you can usually kiss a countries women goodbye.

ladislav wrote:If you think wealth does not buy happiness, try poverty!

I have tried both and nothing beats the misery of an upper middle class high paying corporate job, weekend trips to other countries, weekend hotel rentals every weekend, travel to all points in Socal and the other "finer things in life". I was truly happiest when I started out in 1982, sleeping in public parks, earning $180 a week as a DJ. My clothes were crap, I rented a room in a grimy flophouse, I did not own a car, I spent all of my money on vinyl records, and I was blissfully happy.

I now earn 1/10th what I earned 2 years ago, and I am so much happier, healthier, sane and relaxed it is stunning.

I think everyone should try both approaches, just as all young men should try Sales to see if they have The Gift for it.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Return to Religion and Spirituality