Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happiness

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happiness

Post by Winston »

This guy is wise and funny. He explains at the beginning that if you have too little, you aren't going to be happy, but if you have too much, you start worrying, stressing and not trusting people so your happiness starts going down. The peak point of happiness is in the middle, when you aren't rich or poor.

Last edited by Winston on October 22nd, 2012, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

If you think wealth does not buy happiness, try poverty!
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

"I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It's like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GDP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die." -- Warren Buffet

globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Re: Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happines

Post by globetrotter »

Winston wrote:This guy is wise and funny. He explains at the beginning that if you have too little, you aren't going to be happy, but if you have too much, you start worrying, stressing and not trusting people so your happiness starts going down. The peak point of happiness is in the middle, when you aren't rich or poor.

This applies to countries. Those in the middle are happiest. Too much and the people become miserable. Chile, Israel and above. Too little and the people become miserable. Myanmar/Burma, Sierra Leone. At $10,000 PPP GDP you can usually kiss a countries women goodbye.
ladislav wrote:If you think wealth does not buy happiness, try poverty!
I have tried both and nothing beats the misery of an upper middle class high paying corporate job, weekend trips to other countries, weekend hotel rentals every weekend, travel to all points in Socal and the other "finer things in life". I was truly happiest when I started out in 1982, sleeping in public parks, earning $180 a week as a DJ. My clothes were crap, I rented a room in a grimy flophouse, I did not own a car, I spent all of my money on vinyl records, and I was blissfully happy.

I now earn 1/10th what I earned 2 years ago, and I am so much happier, healthier, sane and relaxed it is stunning.

I think everyone should try both approaches, just as all young men should try Sales to see if they have The Gift for it.
Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

You didn't listen to the video. Poverty does not buy happiness, but neither does wealth. Contentment and having just enough does, along with good social relationships and social connection. Do more studies on happiness.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Citizen
Freshman Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Citizen »

Winston wrote:
You didn't listen to the video. Poverty does not buy happiness, but neither does wealth. Contentment and having just enough does, along with good social relationships and social connection. Do more studies on happiness.
This is a share the wealth that others made and don't print money video so that the Asians can have something even though they didn't create it. Fck them. This is why you never let foreigners into your lands! This is why there is always war. One God, One King, One nation, One religion, One system of laws then people have a fair set of rules to play by.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Australian monk explains why wealth doesn't buy happines

Post by Tsar »

globetrotter wrote:
This applies to countries. Those in the middle are happiest. Too much and the people become miserable. Chile, Israel and above. Too little and the people become miserable. Myanmar/Burma, Sierra Leone. At $10,000 PPP GDP you can usually kiss a countries women goodbye.
Is that true? At $10,000 USD PPP a person can kiss a countries women goodbye? Russia should have more than an $10,000 PPP and Belarus close to it, but those are the official numbers.

A jailbait I was talking to several months ago in one of Russia's poorer neighbors appeared to come from a family with more money than the typical Belarusian. She has brand name clothes, does maybe 5 sports and has since awhile, and I think they even have a summer home (a dacha). She was 17 at the time and didn't really hold the conversation well so I largely stopped messaging her.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑