Are we being ripped off by our property management company?

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate wrote:
Winston wrote:Repatriate,
Me and my family do not live in the US and are not planning to. So we need a management company. I do not have the resources that they do to advertise, find renters, negotiate leases, check backgrounds, etc. I prefer to leave that to the professionals. I don't have time for that kind of thing anyway. Come on. Get real.
Stop lying Winston. You spend a lot of time driving around the southwest going on long nature hikes and generally doing nothing except dining at Vegas Buffets. I know for sure this is what you are doing because it's all you ever talk about and others who know you in real life say you aren't doing much. Just think of it this way, were the long nature hikes worth the hundreds of dollars (perhaps thousands in the future) you lost for not spending a relatively insignificant amount of time to do proper due diligence in business matters?

The issue here is you're just lazy and don't want to apply your effort in things that do matter. You seem to have plenty of time to create attack websites because you got owned by a couple of whores at a brothel but you don't want to pay attention to current losses right in front of your face.

Also, I predict right now that your response will be predictable. You'll lash out once again at people like me trying to help you out and show you the truth instead of enabling your eccentric lazy behavior.
Man you are one nasty hateful SOB. I shouldn't even be responding to your posts, since trolls feed off of getting a reaction.

Your avatar accurately reflects what you are on the inside - rotten and mean. So I'm glad that at least your avatar and your true self match.

You seem to think that free speech gives you the license to be as rude and nasty as you want. Well no way. You are one of those who ABUSE free speech. I ought to ban you for a while to teach you that behavior and common decency DOES MATTER.

FYI, I've spent four weeks traveling around the Southwest and seeing nature. Yeah. So what? I'm a nature freak. This is not a permanent thing. It's just a one month vacation. What's your problem with that? I need the exercise and the vitamin D from the Sun. Who the f**k are you to tell me what to do you little shithead?

I do not do long nature hikes. Just one mile hikes several times a day or once a day.

I NEVER said that I go to Las Vegas buffets. Only when relatives invite me do I go. Otherwise, I don't go to those because I always overeat. I already explained that to publicduende. You made that up out of nowhere with no basis. If you continue lying about me, that will be a basis to BAN you. You are one unhappy miserable SOB, you know that?

Also, the water heater incident happened BEFORE I went on my southwest tour. So your false blame is not even applicable. You are a stupid troll.

FYI, I've spent a lot of time improving this site and other productive projects. So yes I do keep productive. I ought to ban you right now for lying and extremely rude behavior. You definitely do not qualify for our new Expat Living forum which will be free of nasty trolls like you.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate wrote:
MarkLambo told me that home warranty companies usually get the cheapest piece of shit they can find when they do replacements. So even if we had let them do it, they might have installed a low quality water tank. Is that true? If so, perhaps the actual cost is in the middle, somewhere between $416 and $1100.
A quick look at home depot or Lowes' website will show you the answers that you seek. A quality water heater is about $450 or so. I don't know what kind of water heater was installed by the property management company but it's important you get the invoice and look up how much that costs so you have a good idea on how much the pmc is ripping you off for.
Repatriate, I did some research and found out that you are not as knowledgeable as you claim. I went to Lowes and Home Depots website and they had many different costs for water heaters. Some of them run over $1000 dollars. So it all depends on the type and quality.

See this article which addresses this:
http://www.angieslist.com/articles/how- ... n-cost.htm
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just went to Home Depot to find out the true cost of water heaters and installation.

They told me there were too many variable and could not give me an estimate. They had me call their service tech on their own phone to get an estimate of the installation fee, but I couldn't tell him whether the heater was gas or electric, so they couldn't give me an estimate or even a ball park range.

I looked at all the water heaters in Home Depot and they ranged from $300 to $800. Most of them were in the $300 to $400+ range though. So I figure that's the average cost of them. The higher end one have more gallon capacity and longer warranty terms. The installation fee starts at $99 but usually becomes more because the installers will find reasons to charge more. The store staff told me that. But hauling away the broken water heater is free though.

So it seems the management company did lie to me, but will not admit it. They keep claiming that they did not overcharge and that Home Depot would have charged more than they did. I highly doubt that.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat told me that it also cost him $1000 to replace the water heater at his apartment in the US. He said it was $500 for the water heater and then another $500 for installation. So maybe it's plausible after all.

However, the management company still refuses to send me an invoice or tell me what make and model the water heater is. I don't know why. They don't seem to want to tell me. Every time I email my contact there, she won't respond about it. It's weird.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. Our management company wants to do expensive repairs again because our new tenant says that the microwave won't work. They said that if it's an electrical problem, it could be dangerous. lol. That kind of paranoid thinking is so American. lol

Here's what they said:
I think the best option is to have our vendor remove the microwave and install a hood.
I am concerned that, if it is an electrical problem, it can become a safety issue. If we do nothing about that, you can face other problems.
We can have hood installed above range and tell the tenant that she is welcome to purchase a countertop microwave and take it with her when she vacates.
Thanks
My response:

"No it's not an electrical problem. I told you not to always try to select the most expensive solution to every problem. Your solution would cost hundreds of dollars. I inspected it before. It's just an electronic bug on the microwave that is easily fixed by setting the clock and pushing clear. Holly had the same problem but after I fixed it, she never had the problem again. I'll contact her and ask her what to push because I can't remember right now.

Thanks,
Winston"

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

I almost was considering buying properties in las vegas so i could evade california income taxes cause im making 16,000 a month and have long term investments but with traveling in future it seems like a headache. plus as you outline you could get ripped off. plus if i come back to california ill be backtaxed in income taxes maybe. plus hate livin away from my family.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are we being ripped off by our property management compa

Post by Winston »

Our property management company has been bought out. Management One is now Rent Vest. But the new company is pulling the same tricks. Every time a tenant moves out after his or her lease, they find some bogus repair or unnecessary "home improvement" in order to charge us another 800 dollars. That cant be a coincidence. This time they did it again. They did a paint job on the walls and charged us 800 dollars for it. So i wrote them this angry email below. What do you think? Whats the best way to handle these companies?

Also i heard all property management companies do this kind of thing. Unnecessary repairs and home improvements are how they make their money, i heard. Apparently their commissions arent enough for them. So other management companies would do the same. Right? What would you do?

My letter to Rent Vest:

"Dear Wendy,
Several issues here. First of all, why does it look like the tenants check bounced? The statement shows some debits and credits. Didnt you screen this tenants credit history? You were supposed to do that and only get tenants with good credit scores. Did his checks clear? Why is there a net zero balance from his checks?

Secondly, i thought the tenant moved in in late October? If so why is there a prorated payment of 100 or 200 dollars for November? Shouldnt that be for October? 

Thirdly, who authorized this unnecessary paint job?! Ive seen the house many times. The walls are fine. No paint job was necessary. Plus it does not cost 800 dollars to paint a house. You are ripping us off. You can ask lowes or home depot or google "average cost of paint job". 

I already told management one before NOT to make unnecessary repairs and "home improvements" every time a tenant moves out. Theyve been doing that the last two years or so. Each time a tenant moved out, they found a bogus excuse for some repair or home improvement that always cost 800 dollars, jipping us of a second months rent. I got tired of it. Im not stupid and can easily see what youre doing. Im a good bullshit detector and not an average gullible American, so dont treat me like one. In effect, you are stealing an extra months rent from us in addition to the first months rent you are entitled to, which doesnt seem to be enough for you. 

May i remind you that our contract states that you are entitled to the first month's rent only and then 8 percent for subsequent months. The contract does NOT state that you are allowed to make bogus repairs or "home improvement" that are unnecessary and superfluous in order to extract a second months rent from us. That is unethical and a greedy act. I can see right through it. No doubt, you will do the same next year with the next tenant. There is an obvious overall pattern here. Im not stupid. Please stop it. Dont you know that your greed will come back to you to bite you in the butt? Karma will guarantee it. Just stick to the contract please. Dont steal an extra 800 dollars from us using any excuse you can find. Obviously you needed to find an excuse to give work to your subcontractors too. 

Its like when you go to an auto mechanic shop and they want to make unnecessary auto repairs to charge you a lot more, using fear as a weapon to give you anxiety and worry if you dont comply. Its a very old and shady scam technique. Been around for ages. Even before you were born. I am a critical thinker and can easily see right through such BS. I know your game. Its not right for you to be stealing an extra 800 dollars per year from us, using every little trick in the book. Its BS and baloney. Can you please stop it? Plus the walls are fine. No painting job was necessary. I know you can find excuses to justify anything but the bottom line is that it was UNNECESSARY. I like to cut through the bull. 

When you do such things, it will hurt your reputation and people will post bad reviews about you on Yelp and ripoffreport.com. Are you aware of that? Im just tired and pissed off that you do this every year and i end up losing almost a thousand dollars cause of it. I also hate greed too. I know that greed is normal in America but its not normal in my world.

Sincerely,
Winston"

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The best way to handle such companies is not to use them. If you don’t want to do your own property management then sell the property and invest in something else.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Cornfed wrote:The best way to handle such companies is not to use them. If you don’t want to do your own property management then sell the property and invest in something else.
I cant manage property if im overseas. Duh. Rental income is important. But these companies try to steal as much as they can using bogus repairs and home improvements as excuses. Real estate property is the best investment. Nothing beats it.

So you don't think my letter above lecturing them will do any good? Won't it incite their guilt or make them see reason? Lol. Or at least let them know that im on to them?

Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

I don't think writing angry letters is going to make any difference. I use First Serve Realty in Las Vegas. My current tenant always pays on time, and she's renewing her lease for a third year.

There have been a few repairs needed. Repairs that I knew about. Pictures were always sent to me, and several estimates were always obtained, subject to my approval. Nothing was done without my prior knowledge.
ezinho
Freshman Poster

Post by ezinho »

Not to change the subject, but what do you guys think about investing in real estate in Las Vegas? I'm flirting with the idea of buying a condo there sometime in 2017. Would it be easy to rent out if it's close to the strip? Or how about putting it on air bnb? Stupid idea or no?

I live in California now so I need to make a trip to Vegas next year and investigate this. Real Estate is so cheap there!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Guhji wrote:I don't think writing angry letters is going to make any difference. I use First Serve Realty in Las Vegas. My current tenant always pays on time, and she's renewing her lease for a third year.

There have been a few repairs needed. Repairs that I knew about. Pictures were always sent to me, and several estimates were always obtained, subject to my approval. Nothing was done without my prior knowledge.
What's the website of your property management company? So they never insist on the repairs or tell you that Nevada state law requires them, etc? What about home improvements?

How do you know whether when your tenants move out, the company isn't breaking stuff on purpose in order to extract repairs from you? You can't know right?

When they repair stuff they always use the most expensive contractors of course, so they can profit from it.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ezinho wrote:Not to change the subject, but what do you guys think about investing in real estate in Las Vegas? I'm flirting with the idea of buying a condo there sometime in 2017. Would it be easy to rent out if it's close to the strip? Or how about putting it on air bnb? Stupid idea or no?

I live in California now so I need to make a trip to Vegas next year and investigate this. Real Estate is so cheap there!
I don't know what current market prices are. But generally it's a good idea. Prices are low on real estate there now. And there are many people moving there because they can no longer afford to live in California. However the migrants tend to be lower quality people and minorities. Lots of hispanics there. Very multicultural for sure. It's a liberal state though, so you won't find many down to earth people in Vegas, if at all, since liberals tend to be fake and phony.

I think a condo would be easy to rent out. Lots of people are moving to Vegas for work. And our property management company has always been able to find tenants quickly right away.

If you put it up on air bnb though, you have to be there to show guests to the place and give them the keys, etc. You can't be abroad while you are renting through air bnb.

Las Vegas isn't that big, so all areas of it are fairly close to the strip.

Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Fadra and Bryan Kyle are the people you need to speak with at First Serve Realty. Use Yelp and Google to do your research.

The hot water handle in the master bath was broken. I knew about this prior to renting out the home. I didn't have time to fix it myself, so I had First Serve Realty do it for me. Several estimates were obtained, and I picked the lowest one. That has been the only repair needed in the last 1.5 years.

Some property managers are decent, but you should assume all are crooked. That's life.