Filipino tendency to cheat, leech, and extract money from others

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
Winston
Site Admin

Filipino tendency to cheat, leech, and extract money from others

Post by Winston »

Earlier today, dianne took her older phone to be fixed at a booth in sm mall. The technician said hed fix it for 500p. We agreed. After it was done he wanted 600p. When Dianne asked why, he said because he opened the phone and fixed it. Well duh. Isnt that what the 500p was for?! He could not think of any excuse to charge an extra hundred pesos. I deduced that he just wanted an extra 100 pesos because im a foreigner and hes trying to grab extra money from me just for the hell of it. Thats pathetic. Doesnt he have any shame? Sheesh. What kind of god fearing catholic country is this?

Of course i refused and told him a deal is a deal and he was out of line for asking for extra money. He gave in and agreed.

I hate these kind of incidents. They insult me and look disgraceful and greedy. Why do these people have no shame or guilt or conscience? Only animals keep asking for "more more more!" Like when u feed a cat tuna fish and it keeps wanting more and more without end. Lol. Never satisfied or contented.

What would you have done in that situation? Do you ever run into such incidences too? Arent they friggin annoying? I dont get the logic of them at all. They are stupid and insulting and degrading too.

Last week at a videoke place, me and two girls ordered three drinks and sang some songs, totaling 200+ pesos. Yet they tried to charge me 440 pesos. When i told them their math was way off, and it should be 200+, they recalculated and gave me a total of 220 pesos. Geez. Did they think they could double my bill without me noticing? I didnt even drink beer so why would they think i was too drunk to notice? Lol. Dumbasses. Again, very insulting. The attempt at cheating me is very insulting and shameful and disgraceful. If this were medieval Japan, I'd draw my samurai sword and cut them to pieces for dishonoring me like that. Those bastards are lower than scum or dirt.

Do you ever catch extra charges on your bill for no reason? If so do you debate them, even in front of girls? Do your girls mind? Greedy girls dont like men who argue about bills and prices i heard, even if hes being scammed. Its like that in Russia and Ukraine too. Foreign men arent supposed to count money in such countries it seems. Very weird​ and illogical.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Filipino tendency to cheat extra money from you

Post by publicduende »

I rarely get scammed in Davao, really. That's one of the best qualities of Davao, and that's why foreigners appreciate it so much.

Manila, on the other side, is a different story altogether. As long as you stick to the sterile environment of the good areas of Makati, Taguig (BGC), Ortigas, Pasay, Quezon City, etc. you can assume you will only pay the fixed/agreed price for goods and services. As soon as you step out of them, usual stinky dodgy Manila hits you like a rock in the groin.

Just yesterday I had to find a hardware shop and decided to venture just out of Century City, on JP Rizal Avenue, along the north edge of Makati. I took a jeepney to do maybe a mile under the scorching 2 PM sun and paid 8 pesos.

Then on my way back I saw a motorbike tricycle and hopped in for a ride back to Century Mall. Virtually identical route. I see the tricycle take all sorts of detours, which I don't mind as I am busy chatting to one of my business partners on Skype. Once arrived at Century Mall I asked how much and he goes "60 pesos". I point out, that's more than a taxi would have charged me from Century Mall to Greenbelt! Air-con and all. He won't listen to any arguments as I propose him max 20 pesos. He maintains that his is a tricycle and he is charging a different price. I say: of course it's gonna be a different price...LESS! He calls a security guard, who obviously is private security and has no authority to intervene, hoping to get a backing. The guy pretends to listen and care and 2 minutes later trike driver's left with about 23 pesos (I found 3 extra coins in my pocket) and a grumpy mouth.

Most of them eventually give in, be it immediately or after 10 minutes. We Italians are used to haggling too, it's a typical middle-eastern/South European/Latin American habit. If you go to places like Turkey or sub-Saharan Africa, it happens all the time. For a tourist, it starts having the flavour of a "cultural experience". After the second or third occurrence, it's already annoying and the tourist just withdraws in the sterile safety on their resort or plush hotel, where is overcharged anyway, but at least they know the high price in advance on a menu or something.

I wouldn't just blame the uneducated Filipino. It's the system that perpetuates this "eat or be eaten" mentality. They get scammed all their life along by their stronger peers: family, friends with authority, business owners, politicians, everyone. They automatically think all foreigners are tourists with a soft hand and try their luck.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw im getting tired of these freelancers in angeles city. They keep trying to hustle for extra cash, even after they agree to a set price. I dont get that. Its so shameless and rude and leaves a bad impression on me. Yet they dont even care. Its also illogical and unethical too. It makes them look like desperate sharks. I'm not greedy so i cant relate to such behavior at all. Rather than seek love, romance, affection, or knowledge, info and wisdom from me, all they want is a few hundred extra pesos. They are way way wayyyyyyy too money hungry. Never satisfied or content. Always wanting MORE and MORE and more ad infinitum. Like animals they dont know when is enough. If you give a cat tuna fish, for example, it will never be enough. It will always want more and more as if you have an unlimited supply. Lol. Freelancers and bar girls are the same. Always overly eager for more cash, and taking it shamelessly as though the universe owed them perpetual everlasting "extra cash".

I never seen people so desirous of cash before. Its like they literally eat and breathe in money. Its inhuman and unnatural. Money is an artificial construct and isnt even part of nature. Yet these girls are hungry for it like they are grasping to breathe air amd oxygen. Its sickening. You have to see it to believe it.

And they hate it of course when i deduct some from the total, for various reasons, to lower the balance owed them. Haha. After all, less money spent on them is better. They are like a bottomless pit. No matter how much money you give them, the next day they are hungry and eager for more. They dont even consider that YOU may need the pocket cash you have on you that day. It doesnt matter. They just wanna TAKE it from you, even if you wont have anything left. Their hunger and greed for cash is all that matters to them. Its what CONSUMES them like fire. Lol

Whats more, when they visit my room, they act like scavengers. They shamelessly look at the snacks and food on my table and start collecting whatever they want, as if its a buffet table that they are entitled to. As if everything i have is free for the taking and asking. Do i look like Santa? And even if i were Santa, why are they worthy of getting anything from Santa anyway? Its not like theyve done virtuous things or been "a good girl" to deserve any gifts anyway. Lol

Whats worse is that some of these low level money grubbing whores have the gall to ask me to buy them a smart phone too! Lol. Wtf? What have they done to deserve a smart phone as a free gift? So f***ing stupid and moronic! Lol. Its not like they are anything special. They are whores who exchange sex for money. What makes them think they deserve free gifts and free phones? Do i look stupid?

Sure i can afford to buy a cheap 100 dollar smart phone, of which there any many nowadays, including samsung models like the J1. But that doesnt mean im gonna buy a smart phone for every random poor girl and whore that wants one. Duh! Sheesh. Am i supposed to go out and buy new 100 dollar phones everyday as if it were a routine thing like buying a bus ticket? Lol.

They dont want a basic phone either. They hope for a good one with a nice touch screen! Lol. However, since they are low class scum why should they be entitled to good quality phones or good quality anything for that matter? Lol. Man they are so friggin delusional! I swear.

This behavior is very abhorrent. They want extra cash and free gifts for nothing. They dont deserve it or earn it. They just WANT it. And what am i supposed to say to such a wretched request? "Oh sure honey! Anything for you!" Lol.

They don't understand that generosity has to be earned. There has to be a reason for it. Its not a free gift for the asking. For example, since my sons grandma helps take care of him and babysits him, so his mom and i can go out, then she deserves some generosity. So i am willing to give her gifts, meals, food and cash too. In this case, generosity is WARRANTED and deserved of course.

However, in contrast, a greedy whore who asks for free gifts and cash, without earning it, just because shes greedy, doesnt deserve shit. So she makes herself into a scumbag by even asking. Dont they get that? Dont they see that? Lol

Its not just bar girls and freelancers on fields who do this though. Even nice innocent ordinary girls in regular normal areas of town will try to use you or take advantage of you if youre a foreigner. They may act decent and innocent at first, but then they'll ask for loans (which they cant pay back of course, hence are really requests for cash gifts in reality, which they aren't even honest about) or they will bring up the old line "i have a problem, maybe you can help me......" which is a precursor for a "loan request" or course. Or they will start asking you to buy them things they want or need, shamelessly, as though you owed them something, god knows why. So yes, even normal mainstream filipino girls can do that too. Ive seen it many times.

I dont understand why filipino girls are so much into getting material things and cash from others. Why cant they be god fearing and focus on spirituality? Or why cant they be man loving and focus on love and romance, like the female filipino actresses do in filipino romance movies on TV and movies?! Lol. That would be much better of course. But instead they are obsessed with money benefits and material goods. Why did god make such women or create this kind of world? It doesnt make sense and it doesnt make god look good either. This is all very sickening. If i were god id feel ashamed of creating such women and such a money grubbing culture. Very disgraceful. How can god tolerate that or allow that? Doesnt make sense.

The behavior of these girls is not only personally insulting, but illogical as well. Its not logical to expect free gifts and cash just for the asking, without earning it or deserving it.

In the star trek universe, the computers and androids would react to such behavior by saying, "that does not compute". Lol. And spock would say "its not logical" of course. Lol.

These girls are from a very bizarro universe. Im sure glad i cant relate to it and arent a part of it. Lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Oh hi public duende. I heard you were back in manila. You wanna come down to angeles so we can hang out? Bring rock with you if you can. The traffic here is so light compared to manila. And theres lots of places to hang out. Have you been here before?

Your trike fare was cheap. Here in angeles the trikes want 100p to go anywhere now.

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:Oh hi public duende. I heard you were back in manila. You wanna come down to angeles so we can hang out? Bring rock with you if you can. The traffic here is so light compared to manila. And theres lots of places to hang out. Have you been here before?

Your trike fare was cheap. Here in angeles the trikes want 100p to go anywhere now.
Thanks for the invitation Winston and, by the way, belated Happy Birthday! I have been in Makati since this Tuesday (14) for business and couldn't move out, too many meetings... I am flying back to Davao in a few hours (it's Sunday 19).

There are some PAL flights from Davao to Clark. I have already told Rock we should meet in Clark and visit you, Dianne and Angelo. Soon enough...it's a promise!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

publicduende,
Btw next time, you should discuss the fare with the trike driver before you get in. Try to bargain it down and haggle a bit, like you would in a night market. That way you know exactly how much to pay when you get out. Also try to carry small bills on you before getting in so you don't have to rely on the driver to give you change, because if he doesn't have change, he will try to pocket your change and ask for it as a tip. lol. Sometimes they will lie and pretend not to have any change so they can pocket it too, so you have to insist on the change before he finally gives in. These people are very money hungry and money obsessed.

starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Winston wrote: Its not just bar girls and freelancers on fields who do this though. Even nice innocent ordinary girls in regular normal areas of town will try to use you or take advantage of you if youre a foreigner. They may act decent and innocent at first, but then they'll ask for loans (which they cant pay back of course, hence are really requests for cash gifts in reality, which they aren't even honest about) or they will bring up the old line "i have a problem, maybe you can help me......" which is a precursor for a "loan request" or course. Or they will start asking you to buy them things they want or need, shamelessly, as though you owed them something, god knows why. So yes, even normal mainstream filipino girls can do that too. Ive seen it many times.

I dont understand why filipino girls are so much into getting material things and cash from others. Why cant they be god fearing and focus on spirituality? Or why cant they be man loving and focus on love and romance, like the female filipino actresses do in filipino romance movies on TV and movies?! Lol. That would be much better of course. But instead they are obsessed with money benefits and material goods. Why did god make such women or create this kind of world? It doesnt make sense and it doesnt make god look good either. This is all very sickening. If i were god id feel ashamed of creating such women and such a money grubbing culture. Very disgraceful. How can god tolerate that or allow that? Doesnt make sense.
They are definitely a bunch of bottomless pit when it comes to money irrespective of their profession.

Nearly 90% of the "NORMAL" girls I dated asked for money, gifts etc BUT the problem, confusion really for me is...The girls who have high moral values, pay for their own food are more Drama Driven and You never get laid on a first date or ever that easily. :| :| :cry:

No girls on Earth are this "EASY" as Filipinas...We need to count this VERY IMPORTANT FACT.

I dated few Persian, European girls in Manila/elsewhere ..Persian girls wanted to pay for their own coffee and European girl was already eating when I arrived...But NOTHING MADE THEM TO GO WITH ME ... :mrgreen:

They were all looking for a long term commitment and "Getting to know each other Phase" so taking it SLOW...You cannot get laid that easily anywhere on Earth than Philippines especially if you are an Indian... :D

Nothing freaking MOVES for me..except in The Philippines.

As I said..Earth is not a Cool Place..As many CIA new agers have us believe..It's a very dark place to live. We need to Choose...WHAT OUR PRIORITIES ARE...?

Do you want to get laid or do you want more value in Morals and Decency?

Its totally unethical for filipinas to ask money, it feels very bad over all BUT WHAT OTHER CHOICE WE HAVE ON EARTH...?

Its a matter of making a deal with your Life Priorities. I chose Filipina girls who annoyingly asks money, are greedy, bottomless pit and shameless than women whom I know won't ask for money at all but IT WILL ALSO AMOUNT TO NOTHING. Which is what KILLS me really. :cry: :cry: :(

When i give money to a girl, even though she does not deserve it, it does not kill my heart as much as hoping for my dream girl to come along.

I know 1000+% that I'm gonna get laid tonight when I go with a Filipina on a VERY FIRST DATE. Honestly that is what matters to me. THAT IS MY PRIORITY in LIFE. I know she will annoyingly ask for money which she does not deserve..BUT that is NOT my priority ...I'm totally fine with women asking for money as long as I'm getting laid.

-----------------------------

Winston I'm afraid...You are gonna end up as a whining, old grumpy white guy whom we see in Pattaya always complaining about Thailand because they are brainwashed to think Earth is a happy go lucky place. :D

Make a list of your priorities in Philippines...If it does not Sync in with your Values..Move Out...Otherwise, you will end up OLD. I don't think Filipinas are ever going to stop asking for money...and I also do not think Filipinas will never allow you to get laid on a first date.

I got really frustrated last time with Filipinas behaviour but when back home and looking at how sh**ty my life has become..I would choose Philippines anyday...at least I know I'm getting laid tonight.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

publicduende wrote:
Just yesterday I had to find a hardware shop and decided to venture just out of Century City, on JP Rizal Avenue, along the north edge of Makati. I took a jeepney to do maybe a mile under the scorching 2 PM sun and paid 8 pesos.

Then on my way back I saw a motorbike tricycle and hopped in for a ride back to Century Mall. Virtually identical route. I see the tricycle take all sorts of detours, which I don't mind as I am busy chatting to one of my business partners on Skype. Once arrived at Century Mall I asked how much and he goes "60 pesos". I point out, that's more than a taxi would have charged me from Century Mall to Greenbelt! Air-con and all. He won't listen to any arguments as I propose him max 20 pesos. He maintains that his is a tricycle and he is charging a different price. I say: of course it's gonna be a different price...LESS! He calls a security guard, who obviously is private security and has no authority to intervene, hoping to get a backing. The guy pretends to listen and care and 2 minutes later trike driver's left with about 23 pesos (I found 3 extra coins in my pocket) and a grumpy mouth.
I think you didn't know that Tricycle and Pedicabs are Banned in Jp Rizal?

That is why he took so many detours so that he won't get fined if caught that is 1000 PHP fine.

Manila bans tricycles, pedicabs on 46 roads

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/605166/man ... n-46-roads

Moreover..You should always asks for price first before taking Tri-Cycle INDIVIDUALLY...The Individual Price starts from 40 Pesos in Manila for ANYWHERE...If you take a group Tri-Cycle that is waiting for passengers...You have to pay 7 Pesos ONLY.

There is no such thing as 20 Pesos ride or Taxi Would cost less than Tri-Cycle argument because Tri-Cycles are designed to take you where Taxis won't go easily. They are designed for INNER ROUTES.

Remember, He has to take the same detour to take him back home...so 20 pesos won't even cover his Petrol Price...That is why he was pissed. It takes a lot to piss a Filipino. Believe me.

If a Filipino gets overly agitated...Know that Your calculation is missing some equation...He is wrong but You may be wrong as well...

He was trying to make a living even though he knew its illegal to ride those roads...so he took the ride anyways. You cannot expect morality from Trike Drivers as his priority here was to make money. I think the fairprice would have been 40 to 50 pesos..if you had negotiated..since you did not...He jacked it up by 60 but since you refused..he got angry..but with 40-50 pesos...he would not have bothered to get angry.

In all my years living, visiting Philippines..I have never seen Filipinos get Angry ...If he do get angry...BIG trouble usually follows and makes it to mainstream news. Never make a Filipino Angry aka Loose face..it then usually follows with shots fired :D ...I know it sounds exaggerated but why take the risk :)

------

You are Lucky...After I made this post...I was looking into Philippines news and this is what happened..Just today

WATCH: Nurse wounded in road rage shooting

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/12658 ... e-shooting

This is exactly why I don't get into argument with Filipinos...They have BIG EGO...Its usually ends up in a gun fight...as you can see from the Video...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I admit this was the second or third time ever I took a tricycle in Manila. I took a tricycle in Quezon City, in front of the ABS-CBN complex, an individual ride (not shared) as the tricycle only has space for a single passenger. I paid 10 pesos only.

The tricycle I took in Olympia (just north west of Makati) was exactly like the other: stationary and waiting for passengers. I was prepared to give the poor man 20...but 60? A taxi would have charged me less for the same ride.

I get you on the need for the tricycle to detour. I didn't know they were banned to ride on JP Rizal.

And I also get you on the Filipino temperament. I did not see that man angry, to be honest. If he genuinely knew he was right to charge me 60 pesos I am sure he would have gotten more upset. He let go when he saw the guard wasn't really pay attention to his plea and I was about to walk away. In the end he got almost 30 pesos.
starchild5 wrote:I think you didn't know that Tricycle and Pedicabs are Banned in Jp Rizal?

That is why he took so many detours so that he won't get fined if caught that is 1000 PHP fine.

Manila bans tricycles, pedicabs on 46 roads

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/605166/man ... n-46-roads

Moreover..You should always asks for price first before taking Tri-Cycle INDIVIDUALLY...The Individual Price starts from 40 Pesos in Manila for ANYWHERE...If you take a group Tri-Cycle that is waiting for passengers...You have to pay 7 Pesos ONLY.

There is no such thing as 20 Pesos ride or Taxi Would cost less than Tri-Cycle argument because Tri-Cycles are designed to take you where Taxis won't go easily. They are designed for INNER ROUTES.

Remember, He has to take the same detour to take him back home...so 20 pesos won't even cover his Petrol Price...That is why he was pissed. It takes a lot to piss a Filipino. Believe me.

If a Filipino gets overly agitated...Know that Your calculation is missing some equation...He is wrong but You may be wrong as well...

He was trying to make a living even though he knew its illegal to ride those roads...so he took the ride anyways. You cannot expect morality from Trike Drivers as his priority here was to make money. I think the fairprice would have been 40 to 50 pesos..if you had negotiated..since you did not...He jacked it up by 60 but since you refused..he got angry..but with 40-50 pesos...he would not have bothered to get angry.

In all my years living, visiting Philippines..I have never seen Filipinos get Angry ...If he do get angry...BIG trouble usually follows and makes it to mainstream news. Never make a Filipino Angry aka Loose face..it then usually follows with shots fired :D ...I know it sounds exaggerated but why take the risk :)

------

You are Lucky...After I made this post...I was looking into Philippines news and this is what happened..Just today

This is exactly why I don't get into argument with Filipinos...They have BIG EGO...Its usually ends up in a gun fight...as you can see from the Video...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wait a minute public duende. A taxi ride from Century City Mall to Greenbelt in Makati is not going to be less than 60p. (60p is like one dollar and twenty cents). Even without much traffic, it would cost at least 80p or so. And with regular traffic, a taxi would be more, closer to 100p. The taxis start at 40p and then the meter runs. You can ask Rock. That route is not gonna be less than 60p by taxi. 60p for a trike would be a bargain in Angeles. They always want 100p for short rides now. If you are a local, you can get lower and especially if you use trikes not in tourist areas.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

starchild5 wrote: You are Lucky...After I made this post...I was looking into Philippines news and this is what happened..Just today

That's not true at all starchild. Come on. Arguments with Filipinos do NOT "usually" end in gun fights. Those are very rare, and sometimes made up too. Media has been proven to hoax and lie, especially in the US. I've been in many arguments with Filipinos. They've never pulled out a gun. Most do not even have guns. Thus your use of the word "usually" is definitely totally wrong and inaccurate. If that were to happen, it would be rare.

Plus most of my arguments with Filipinos have been in public civil areas where they have to behave, such as if they are waiters in a restaurant, or customer service staff in a mall. There, they are required to take any verbal abuse you throw at them, and cannot do anything about it, lest they lose their job. So in those places, you can yell at them all you want and insult them all you want. They are used to taking it and have to.

Moreover, usually I'm in the right when I argue and they know it. Thus they will not feel outraged at me since they know they are in the wrong and I have a good reason. One is only outraged when they feel they are in the right and are being treated unfairly or victimized. But if they are trying to scam me or cheat me, then deep down they know they are in the wrong and I have the right to protest and argue. Thus they will never get outraged if their attempt to cheat me fails, because they know they are the ones going out on a limb.

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

starchild5 wrote:
This is exactly why I don't get into argument with Filipinos...They have BIG EGO...
I think it's more to do with them not being able to control their emotions and acting without thinking through the consequences, so getting into an argument with an emotional Filipino isn't a good idea. And woe be tied any guy who cheats on a Pinay that loves him. That could mean an early grave too.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Filipino tendency to cheat, leech, extract money from ot

Post by Winston »

A few thoughts:

I dont understand the mentality of people who want something for nothing. Dont they know thats wrong? If they dont want to sell or trade their bodies, then why do they ask for free cash? And furthermore why do they get angry if you refuse to be used and taken advantage of? Dont u have a right to refuse opportunists and users? If so why do they act like i did something wrong and am a bad selfish person? Totally illogical. Dont they realize that? Do they honestly believe i owe them money? If so on what basis? The same logic that robin hood used to steal from those richer than the poor? Lol

How come in china and other countries when u treat someone to dinner they will usually treat you back. But in philippines no one ever treats u back. Never. Even if they are poor at least they can treat u to an ice cream cone or candy bar. Its the thought and intention that counts. A good girl will do that at least to show her appreciation and effort.

The only logical explanation i can think of to explain filipino behavior and unfairness and taker mentality is this: they have robin hood mentality and justice system. They believe that if you are richer then them, then by automatic default you OWE them money and generosity and kindness in the form of gifts, free food and free money. They believe in principle that the rich OWE money to the poor in an unjust world of inequality. Thus by being richer than them, you are morally obligated to be kind, generous and sharing, while they are not obligated to give u anything in return, because in their view it is unjust for you to have more than they do.

Thats the only logical theory i can think of to explain their illogical greedy behavior. What do you think?

This theory makes sense because after all, poor filipinos really do act and behave as though we foreigners literally do owe them something. No joke.

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Check this book out: African Friends and Money Matters. Might as well call it Filipino Peasant Friends and Money Matters.

The average Filipino peasant has a completely different view of money than the average Westerner does. Sharing is how they survive. Call it a form of daily peasant communism if you'd like.

Here's a summary of the book:
http://www.ugandamission.net/ministry/m ... /70obs.pdf

More at:
https://davidmays.org/BN/MarAfri.html
http://www.widernet.org/gofulbright/moneymatters.htm
https://mariahandcollin.wordpress.com/2 ... id-maranz/

70 Observations on the Principles of African Personal Finance
This is a list summary of David Maranz’s African Friends and Money Matters, a must read, for westerners, or members of
western organizations planning to enter into direct financial relationships with Africans. ISBN 1-55671-117-4.

1. The financial need that occurs first has first claim on the available resources.
2. Resources are to be used, not hoarded.
3. Money is to be spent before friends or relatives ask to “borrow.”
4. If something is not being actively used, it is considered to be “available.”
5. Africans are very sensitive and alert to the needs of others
and are quite ready to share their resources.
6. The fact that most people are overextended financially
produces profound effects on society.
7. Being involved financially and materially with friends and
relatives is a very important element of social interaction.
8. Africans assist their friends who are in financial need as a
form of investment for those future times when they
themselves might have needs. This arrangement constitutes
a virtual banking or savings system.
9. The financial implications of friendship and solidarity go
beyond immediate friends to include secondary relationships.
10. Not all Africans follow the normal and accepted financial
principles of the sharing that society dictates, but people
who do not do so pay a very heavy social price: they are
shunned and marginalized by friends and relatives.
11. Many people buy meals at canteens set up on many street
corners, outside of factory gates, and at other convenient
locations.
12. Africans readily share space and things but are possessive
of knowledge. (Westerners readily share their knowledge,
but are possessive of things and space.)
13. The person requesting a thing or money from a friend or relative has a dominant role in
determining whether his or her need is greater than that of the potential donor, and
consequently, of whether or not the potential donor should donate.
14. A person to whom money or other resource is entrusted has a major say in how that money or
resource will be used.
15. People who have many possessions or a “surplus” of money are prejudged to be selfish egoists
who are insensible to the needs of others.
16. Precision is to be avoided in accounting as it shows lack of a generous spirit. (Also Africans
prefer a “one pocket” system to a “two pocket” system. Ie. No separation of personal and
business finances, or individual and corporate.)
17. Budgeting, in a formal accounting sense, is not an accepted way of handling personal finances.
It suggests that they can live independently of others and God. A form of budgeting is
practiced, however, with only two basic categories:
a. 1) Daily expenses for perishable food stuffs.
b. 2) Rations monthly amount left at a dry goods grocer to assure grain, cooking oil, etc. for the
month.
18. Africans do not budget for special events; rather, they spend as much money and other
resources as they can marshal for each one. (The wedding! The severance payment. )
19. Personal spending is quite categorized. Main categories are basic expected needs and hidden
expenses. Money is saved for hidden expenses, but usually without the knowledge of even
family members.
20. Living beyond one’s means and income is accepted as normal and is almost universally
practiced.
21. When someone goes on an errand to make a purchase for another, if he is given a bill or coin
that is greater than the amount of the purchase, the person running the errand will normally
keep the change unless asked for it. [Note: I think this only true with regard to running errands
for rich people.]
22. Many African institutions are well supported financially. Examples: birth & death ceremonies,
Muslim brotherhoods, & independent churches.
23. Fund raising is frequently done on a neighborhood basis for neighborhood financial needs.
24. Many products are purchased in very small amounts even though the unit cost is much higher
than for purchases in larger quantities.
25. A network of friends is a network of resources.
26. People constantly work at maintaining and enlarging their network of friends.
27. Friendships and other relationships are built and maintained with gifts.
28. Visiting is concentrated on friends and acquaintances who are actively part of a person’s
economic work.
29. Most networking is done horizontally or “up” and seldom “down” socially or economically.
(People always visit socially up!)
30. Africans are more hospitable than charitable. (Westerners are more charitable than hospitable.)
31. Complements are frequently given indirectly in the form of requests for gifts or loans, and are
often formulated as questions. (Why don’t you give me your blouse? Typical response: “When
it has a little brother, I’ll give it to you.” Or If I give it to you what will I have left? Remember the
proverb, If a hyena had medicine for diarrhea she should take it all herself.)
32. If a Westerner has a misunderstanding about finances with an African friend, it is virtually
impossible to straighten it out directly with the offended individual.
33. Africans prefer to apologize symbolically, rather than verbally, with they have made a mistake or
feel personal shame.
34. Many Africans in need are very discreet about asking for assistance, only hinting at their needs.
35. Africans find security in ambiguous arrangements, plans, and speech.
36. Showing solidarity with friends at such times at funerals, naming ceremonies, feast days, and
weddings is extremely important. This is primarily done by attendance at these events and by
contributing financially.
37. A great many economic needs in Africa are met or alleviated through the solidarity and
generosity of relatives and friends.
38. When people ask for help, they will usually be content with being given a part (sometimes even
a small part) of what they are asking for.
39. Offers of exchanges of gifts, food, or hospitality may involve unspoken obligations; likewise,
failing to accept gifts, food or hospitality may have negative problems.
40. When you give to beggars, they are doing you a favor by allowing you to gain credit with Allah.
41. In many rural communities, and less so in urban neighborhoods, people are afraid to
accumulate more goods or property than their neighbors and kin, for fear of creating jealousy
which may lead to reprisals being carried out against them on an occult level.
42. Money “corrupted” is not expected to be paid back; accountability is not enforced; restitution is
not practiced.
43. A major function of government is to provide money and other resources to those members of
society who are in power or have a close relationship to those who are in power.
44. Giving preference to the employment of kin over non-kin is a normal expression of family
responsibility and solidarity.
a. Personal, family or private interests are placed before larger organizational or public interests.
b. People who are under-qualified tend to be employed for particular positions, as private
interests are placed above qualifications and competence for accomplishing the purposes
forwhich the positions were supposedly created.
c. Accountability is lessened, as loyalty to private interests is placed before the accomplishment
of official tasks.
d. Motivation to work conscientiously is lessened, as people are hired because of who they are ,
not primarily what they are capable of doing.
e. Standards of honesty, service, and morality are subverted to private interests.
f. Power, wealth, and influence become concentrated in the powerful few, rather than being
distributed justly.
g. Smaller entities are put at a disadvantage in the competition with larger ones because they
have fewer human or monetary resources.
h. Planning is not carried to implementation, and priorities are not followed, as the rational use
of resources is subverted to private interests.
i. Hypocrisy, cynicism, and duplicity are generated in society as people see that those who
operate at levels of influence follow double standards: one for appearances and another in
fact.
45. An unjust settlement of a dispute is better than an offended complainant.
46. The place in society assigned to people who have perceived ample financial resources is that of
givers and/or loaners, and not of receivers.
47. People typically receive satisfaction from being asked for financial help, whether or not they are
disposed to provide it.
48. The reputation of people of means is enhanced through the frequent visits of their clients.
49. Leaders in society (religious, political, and business) are expected to be people (mainly men)
who have a retinue of followers, who distribute resources and in other ways provide for their
followers when they have needs. They also ideally have commanding personalities.
50. A person or organization with financial means is basically expected to pay a higher price or
make a larger contribution to individuals or society than is a poor person or organization.
51. Success in life is attained through personal relationships, through connections with people in
positions of power and authority, and through spiritual means. Whereas in the West, success is
attained through ability, hard work, education, and delayed gratification, established within the
framework of a just society.
52. People who are without ample financial resources typically seed to have a long term client
relationship with as many people, patrons, as possible from among those with resources.
53. Financial matters involve a great amount of strategizing and gamesmanship.
54. When a person has a financial need, the most appropriate and likely candidate is mentally
selected and then approached for help.
55. People with moderate to extensive means can be divided into the hiders and the revealers.
56. The only means of accumulating savings that is available to many employees are cash
advances from their employers against future work.
57. When an African has a need for money or some good, the normal and acceptable way to get it
is to ask for it from a relative, friend, or acquaintance who has it.
58. Old debts are forgotten and are not expected to be repaid, neither by the debtor nor by the
lender.
59. There is a strong sense in which people want to be owed money by their friends.
60. There is some sense in which people want to be without money so that they can more easily
refuse a request for a loan.
61. The unwritten rules governing the loaning and sharing of money and goods, and the extreme
social pressure on individuals to conform to these rules or face sanctions, serve as leveling
mechanisms to keep people from getting ahead of others.
62. The value of a development project is not to be measured by its long-term success.
63. A loan is eligible to be repaid when the creditor’s need becomes greater than the debtor’s need.
64. The repayment of loans is a subjective matter involving the weighing of economic, social, and
time factors.
65. The collection of debts is primarily the responsibility of creditors, not of borrowers to volunteer
payments.
66. Many people live with outstanding debts that they never expect to repay.
67. The risk of a loan not being paid back is largely assumed by the lender.
68. The use of the word loan when requesting money from someone is often a euphemism for gift.
69. Loans of goods or things are tantamount to gifts.
a. Not returned until the lender asks repeatedly.
b. Subject to being re-loaned to others by the borrower without the consent of the original
owner.
c. Long term borrowing is automatically considered a gift.
d. There is little concern if the borrowed item is worn out, torn, or rendered useless.
70. The response, “No,” to a request for money, a loan, or a material object, is understood as an
insult, indifference to need, a lack of respect, or a sign of rejection of the petitioner.
(Special Thanks to Joe Gallop for preparing this summary)
web location http://www.stevenmikki.com/Archive/70_o ... nciple.htm
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Falcon wrote:Check this book out: African Friends and Money Matters. Might as well call it Filipino Peasant Friends and Money Matters. [..]
There is of course good and bad in this. Basically they are wild animals who don’t have abstraction, can’t think ahead, can’t grasp the concept of entering into long term agreements and being bound by their terms etc. Hence the idea of such a culture taking us to the stars is insane. On the other hand, in times of abundance where everything was going well, it would be quite idyllic. I guess the polar opposite of this is Jewish materialism, which also sucks. I favor traditional white guy culture.