Why is DHL Express charging me extra on top of my shipping fee? I feel ripped off! WTF?!!

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Why is DHL Express charging me extra on top of my shipping fee? I feel ripped off! WTF?!!

Post by Horahngee »

Guys, please help me here.

I have mailed some cookies and some chocolates that I have bought while visiting Hawaii, to my girlfriend in the Philippines.

In the past, I have shipped items to my girlfriend via US Postal service express mail, because it allows me to have a tracking number to track the progress of the item being shipped to my girlfriend. However, just recently for Valentine's day, I mailed a box of chocolate and a Valentine's day card to my girlfriend with the US Postal service, and the box arrived at my girlfriend's town SEVEN days after the scheduled delivery day. Not only that, but my girlfriend has to go to the post office to pick up the item. When she picked up the box that I had delivered to her, she was asked to pay a fee of 400 pesos. I did not know about this until my girlfriend told me. She told me that the fee was for customs. WTF?

Because I was upset with US Postal Service, I had decided to send her more gifts for Easter weekend. This time, I decided to go with DHL Express.

I have never shipped with this company before. However, when I bought my girlfriend some gift items from Amazon.com, they use DHL Express Global to ship their items to international (Non-US) countries. When my girlfriend got her gifts that I have purchased through Amazon.com, the DHL service delivered the items right to her door step.

Dang, to ship with DHL, it is so f--king confusing! I had to go online and fill out all kinds of information. What was easy was there was pick-up option available where the DHL delivery person would drive to my apartment to pick up my box to be shipped to my girlfriend in the Philippines, once I paid for shipment online, and printed out my shipment labels.

The cost for me to send some gifts and a Easter greeting card to my girlfriend came out to be $116.00.
That is almost twice the price I pay with US Postal Service Express mail service. Grrrr!

I shipped out the box on Monday. And today here in Wednesday in the US.

I get emails updating me about the progress of the shipment. It has arrived in the Manila, philippines area today, and I thought to myself, "Wow, DHL is really super fast at delivering boxes/items!"

Low and behold guys,...this is what pissed me off!

I got an email from DHL stating that they will charge me an extra $237.00......yes....you got that right...another $237.00 on my credit card.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why the hell are they charging me an extra $237.00 on top of the $116.00 that I have already paid for express shipping???!!!!! My blood is boiling with rage right now. :evil: :evil:

Their billing office is closed right now.

I was wondering if other guys here have had the same scam pulled on them by this DHL company? Is it normal for DHL to charge an extra exorbitant fee to deliver items to international destinations? I am NOT going to use DHL express again!

If others here have used UPS or Fed Ex to ship items to the Philippines from the US, please let me know how your customer service experience went.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Re: Why is DHL Express charging me extra on top of my shipping fee? I feel ripped off! WTF?!!

Post by SteveUKR »

I can't speak to your specific situation but just in general I don't know why people ship 'things'.

In most cases these products can be bought locally in local markets. Only if you know the person very well and are in a relationship you can send them the funds via a money transfer service then they can buy the product(s) you want them to have in the local markets there.

If there is something very special that is only available in your country (which I doubt) you can pack it with you on your next trip.

An alternative to using a money transfer service is open a bank account for her in your country then the next time you are with her give her the debit card for that account. She will then be able to withdraw funds at an ATM.

By the way I never use any kind of flower or gift delivery services because they are a big rip off. It's always better to purchase flowers or gifts personally then put them in her hand, if that's what you're into.
SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Re: Why is DHL Express charging me extra on top of my shipping fee? I feel ripped off! WTF?!!

Post by SteveUKR »

Jeez if you had just sent her the $116 you spent on the shipping fee, she probably would have been able to buy locally whatever it is that you were sending her and now the additional $237 a whole lot more stuff.

What I might do in this situation is contact the credit card company you used to pay for the shipping and deactivate it so that they can't charge you any more. (I can do this myself with online banking.) Then put up a fuss so that they will either have to release the item or return it to you.

You can threaten them like Winston does to go to the BBB about this or open a Rip Off Report.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

SteveUKR wrote:
March 29th, 2018, 12:26 am
I can't speak to your specific situation but just in general I don't know why people ship 'things'.

In most cases these products can be bought locally in local markets. Only if you know the person very well and are in a relationship you can send them the funds via a money transfer service then they can buy the product(s) you want them to have in the local markets there.
Steve, did you bother to read my posting?

I have mentioned that I shipped cookies and chocolates that I had purchased from a recent trip to Korea, and special chocolates that I had bought in Hawaii, to my girlfriend in the Philippines.

How the hell are those special items available to be purchased in the Philippines?

This is why I use a shipping company to send these items to my girlfriend in the Philippines. They CANNOT be purchased locally.

And no. No way am I going to wire money to my girlfriend. In fact, one of my mom's business clients, he's a Filipino guy, told my mom that a red flag with Filipina girlfriends is that if they ask you to wire them money, then they're only using you for money.

If there is something very special that is only available in your country (which I doubt) you can pack it with you on your next trip.
You doubt? They do not sell special Hawaiian macadamia nut chocolates and other specialty items in the Philippines.

I even called the Hawaiian chocolate company's sales department up, and asked them if they shipped their items to the Philippines. The guy on the phone told me that the only Asian countries that they ship their items to are S. Korea and Japan.

In terms of the Korean cookies that I had purchased back in Korea, perhaps those items might be sold in the Philippines. However, those biscuits are only in specialty Korean stores, which are not available in the northern province that my girlfriend lives in.

And no. I'm not going to wait until June to send my girlfriend these items. They were sitting on the floor of my living room for two weeks. Wanted to send those goodies to her ASAP.

By the way I never use any kind of flower or gift delivery services because they are a big rip off. It's always better to purchase flowers or gifts personally then put them in her hand, if that's what you're into.
Nah. I disagree with you. I actually have used online flower delivery service to deliver flowers to my girlfriend in the Philippines on special occasions. These flower delivery services are not scams and real flower shop businesses. I had sent my girlfriend flowers for Christmas holiday, and she even took pictures of the flowers that I had ordered her.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

SteveUKR wrote:
March 29th, 2018, 12:56 am

What I might do in this situation is contact the credit card company you used to pay for the shipping and deactivate it so that they can't charge you any more. (I can do this myself with online banking.) Then put up a fuss so that they will either have to release the item or return it to you.
Yes, I actually contacted my credit card company to dispute the charges.

DHL originally charged me $113 to ship the boxes of chocolates and cookies to my girlfriend. When I called DHL, the representative on the phone told me that the weight that I entered into the online shipping application was way less than the actual weight. How the hell am I supposed to get an accurate weight when I don't have a scale at home?

Anyhow, that's the reason why DHL changed my shipment charge from $113 to $224, or some ridiculous high price.

I called my credit card company and disputed the charges. The credit card company also sent me paperwork to fill out in regards to the dispute of the transaction.

Funny thing is, DHL actually cancelled the original $113, because that was refunded back to my credit card, and charged me the $224. I still went ahead and filed the dispute and mailed my credit card company's bank the paperwork to dispute the charge.

We will see what happens. LOL!! :lol:
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Sorry, to say this, but if you put the weight down wrong, it sounds like it is your fault. You could use USPS next time and include some money to reimburse the custom's fee. I've had books shipped to Indonesia held up in customs.
SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Post by SteveUKR »

I did not say that flower delivery companies are scams. I do believe though that most flower delivery services run by dating agencies are big rip offs and or scams. Sure if you use a well known flower delivery company then it's legit.

One dating agency had a flower delivery service. They would bring the girl to a flower shop and just snap a pic. No flowers were purchased. They gave the florist a little something for allowing the photo and the girl gets her cut while the dating agency pockets the rest.

I wouldn't even bother with flower delivery or gift delivery or anything like that. Just purchase the items yourself and personally put them in her hand. That is the only way you can be assured she is receiving what you purchased.

And always remember money can't buy love. So no matter how many things you buy for her that is not going to buy her love.
SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Post by SteveUKR »

Horahngee wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 8:42 pm
And no. No way am I going to wire money to my girlfriend. In fact, one of my mom's business clients, he's a Filipino guy, told my mom that a red flag with Filipina girlfriends is that if they ask you to wire them money, then they're only using you for money.
There's nothing wrong with wiring money once you are really in a relationship.

Mark Davis of Dream Connections sent his girlfriend who later became his wife $300 a month just because she was only making $200 a month in her job and had no time to communicate with him. He said hey babe here's 300 bucks so you can dedicate your time to me.

So I think you're off base Horahngee when you say you should never wire any money at all under any circumstances. You just need to be sure she is really with you and dedicated to you.
SteveUKR
Freshman Poster

Post by SteveUKR »

Also I should add that a girl who is genuine and sincere is not going to outright ask for financial support. She may hint at it but she will not outright ask for it as Steve Neese's girl did after knowing him only two days.

By the way a genuine girl can leave you if you are too stingy and don't provide financial support especially if she's from a poor country.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

MrMan wrote:
April 21st, 2018, 12:09 am
Sorry, to say this, but if you put the weight down wrong, it sounds like it is your fault. You could use USPS next time and include some money to reimburse the custom's fee. I've had books shipped to Indonesia held up in customs.
Ah, I will not do business with DHL again! Yeah, I see your point of view of me entering the wrong weight was the reason for the change in price. But wow,....that is a large $120 difference in charge! Crazy!

I am going to go to a FedEx delivery center to ship boxes and gift items to my girlfriend in the Philippines.

I don't like USPS Global express EMS mail service. I can rely on them. Not a problem there. But they tend to be slow, and the last time I shipped something to my girlfriend in the Philippines, she had to pay 300 PH pesos for customs fee when she retrieved the box that I had sent to her via USPS. WTF?