Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Do not share with other expats in Thailand, Philippines, etc

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Do not share with other expats in Thailand, Philippines, etc

Postby ladislav » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 am

I was recently in a country X and it was cheap to live there, but then I decided well, maybe I could share a house with a bunch of other expats. It would help me save money. But I have learned many things that prevent me from doing it now. It is just not worth it.

In other words, there are hidden dangers in it, so I do not recommend that you do it. Why?

One of your housemates may have unhealthy interests in people of a certain age range, and if he brought such people in and got caught, it would involve you by default just because you are there and he can also blame you if anything happens. A wacko can do things like that. In certain sleazy countries, expats can be strange and many are downright criminal or just foolhardy and cavalier. You may be a long time resident mindful of local laws and traditions but they may be newbies who think they can get away with things. And they might for while, especially if they use you as a scapegoat

Another housemate can use drugs or bring a girlfriend who is using drugs and there can be a raid, and you can end up at a police station with the rest of them and again, they can blame you and say those drugs were supplied by you!

Not to mention that many can run up stellar gas, water or electric bills and then just skip and you will have to be explaining this to the landlord.

Anyway, when in poorer countries, loosen up your purse strings a bit, and invest in a private, secure and safe residence for you only! Do not get housemates! Got it?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MrPeabody » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 am

In Mexico, I have heard several stories. One was a man who was with a friend and the friend got into a fight. Both the man and friend were arrested even though the man had nothing to do with it. In fact, I have been told to even avoid any altercations on the street because the policia will automatically arrest anyone in the immediate area. Lesson learned - in third world countries don't hang around with someone unless they have a good character, because if something happens you will be assumed guilty by association.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Postby Think Different » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 am

What about developed countries? I've met plenty of whackjobs in Western Europe, most of whom are Americans just looking for trouble.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Postby xiongmao » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Same happens in the UK, especially if you're sharing a student house or something. I was forever having to pay someone else's share of the gas bill.

I wouldn't trust any expats in another country - it's too easy for them to go back home and leave you to pick up the bills (or worse).
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Mangus the Red » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

I stick with the locals whenever possible. My first priority when I come to a foreign country to work is to pick up the language and customs ASAP.
Mangus the Red
Freshman Poster

Postby Renata » Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks ladislav that's good advice!

A flatmate of mine in the UK needed to open a bank account, he asked me to go with him to fill forms etc because his English wasn't so good. I went & all was fine until the banker asked him if I was his wife, he said yes ... then this bloody Indian pulled out a fake Eastern European passport to open the account with. I knew it was fake because he mentioned prior that the UK was the first place he's ever lived overseas.
I was so angry half way through the process with the banker I left... & can you believe he got his bank account.

I learned my lesson!
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Renata
Experienced Poster

Return to Scam Alerts and Ripoffs