Do not share with other expats in Thailand, Philippines, etc

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Do not share with other expats in Thailand, Philippines, etc

Post by ladislav »

I was recently in a country X and it was cheap to live there, but then I decided well, maybe I could share a house with a bunch of other expats. It would help me save money. But I have learned many things that prevent me from doing it now. It is just not worth it.

In other words, there are hidden dangers in it, so I do not recommend that you do it. Why?

One of your housemates may have unhealthy interests in people of a certain age range, and if he brought such people in and got caught, it would involve you by default just because you are there and he can also blame you if anything happens. A wacko can do things like that. In certain sleazy countries, expats can be strange and many are downright criminal or just foolhardy and cavalier. You may be a long time resident mindful of local laws and traditions but they may be newbies who think they can get away with things. And they might for while, especially if they use you as a scapegoat

Another housemate can use drugs or bring a girlfriend who is using drugs and there can be a raid, and you can end up at a police station with the rest of them and again, they can blame you and say those drugs were supplied by you!

Not to mention that many can run up stellar gas, water or electric bills and then just skip and you will have to be explaining this to the landlord.

Anyway, when in poorer countries, loosen up your purse strings a bit, and invest in a private, secure and safe residence for you only! Do not get housemates! Got it?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

In Mexico, I have heard several stories. One was a man who was with a friend and the friend got into a fight. Both the man and friend were arrested even though the man had nothing to do with it. In fact, I have been told to even avoid any altercations on the street because the policia will automatically arrest anyone in the immediate area. Lesson learned - in third world countries don't hang around with someone unless they have a good character, because if something happens you will be assumed guilty by association.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

What about developed countries? I've met plenty of whackjobs in Western Europe, most of whom are Americans just looking for trouble.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Same happens in the UK, especially if you're sharing a student house or something. I was forever having to pay someone else's share of the gas bill.

I wouldn't trust any expats in another country - it's too easy for them to go back home and leave you to pick up the bills (or worse).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mangus the Red
Freshman Poster

Post by Mangus the Red »

I stick with the locals whenever possible. My first priority when I come to a foreign country to work is to pick up the language and customs ASAP.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Thanks ladislav that's good advice!

A flatmate of mine in the UK needed to open a bank account, he asked me to go with him to fill forms etc because his English wasn't so good. I went & all was fine until the banker asked him if I was his wife, he said yes ... then this bloody Indian pulled out a fake Eastern European passport to open the account with. I knew it was fake because he mentioned prior that the UK was the first place he's ever lived overseas.
I was so angry half way through the process with the banker I left... & can you believe he got his bank account.

I learned my lesson!
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Mark_in_Bangkok
Freshman Poster

Re: Do not share with other expats in Thailand, Philippines, etc

Post by Mark_in_Bangkok »

ladislav wrote:
January 21st, 2011, 7:11 pm
... Do not get housemates!

Excellent advice.
(Deserves a bump.)
Member: Thailand Expats Email Discussion.
Membership inquiries welcome; send private message to me on this forum.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

It's just not just expats though. Women and even best friends can be a nightmare to live with.

Anyway, I'm planning on going back to the Philippines in the new year, maybe around Easter. I mentioned this at work and a colleague wants to tag along. He's easy to get on with but suffers from light fingers if you know what I mean. I'm wary. The advantages are that he'll be company and my accommodation costs will half.

Maybe I'll tell him a few facts about the rat infested hellholes of prisons to put the shits up him. Perhaps a small white lie too - all new foreign inmates get gang raped on arrival.

I'll also have to find out from others whether he acts like a dickhead with a drink inside of him.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I switch sidewalks and avoid eye contact when I detect the tattooed, bearded, pot-smoking, roid-head (take your pick) conformists, let alone having such roomates! Why would anyone subject himself to that?
Last edited by droid on December 6th, 2017, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Zambales wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:06 am
He's easy to get on with but suffers from light fingers if you know what I mean.
WTF, if you mean he steals stuff then you should avoid travelling with him at all costs.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Cornfed wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:28 am
Zambales wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:06 am
He's easy to get on with but suffers from light fingers if you know what I mean.
WTF, if you mean he steals stuff then you should avoid travelling with him at all costs.
More than one rumour has been circulating about him although nothing's been proved.
He's been to the Caribbean and Asia recently without incident, but anyway, I'll have a strong no BS chat with him and gauge his reaction and then decide.