Teaching English online to support yourself

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snede
Freshman Poster

Re: Teaching English online to support yourself

Post by snede »

Ghost wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 8:03 pm
Cornfed wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Give it up losers. If you are desperate enough to resort to online teaching then you are desperate enough to resort to crime.
What do you recommend?
Run for office as a Democrat.
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

No self-respecting native speaker with any kind of ambition should get into teaching English online. That is a TERRIBLE way of making money because you're trading time for very poor pay. You're better off staying at home and saving up some money before attempting something else.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 18th, 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justlearntutors
Freshman Poster

Post by justlearntutors »

Want to teach online and set your own tutoring prices?

We are hiring language tutors from any country. You need to have a good internet connection for teaching English online. Complete our application system to get started. https://www.justlearn.com/teach-english-online
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

IvanMNG wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 1:33 am
No self-respecting native speaker with any kind of ambition should get into teaching English online. That is a TERRIBLE way of making money because you're trading time for very poor pay. You're better off staying at home and saving up some money before attempting something else.
Not exactly. Depends on how you define "poor pay" and how spoiled you are. The pay for teaching online starts at around 10 dollars per hour. That's not a bad wage in most countries. It's above average in many countries in fact, especially the third world, where people make less than that for a full day's work. So from that perspective, it's not a poor wage, unless you are spoiled and used to making 30 dollars an hour. You can't judge everything from a spoiled person's point of view.

That's the problem with Americans today. Everyone thinks they are hot stuff and deserve to be making 30 dollars an hour just because some self-improvement/self-help book or guru tells you you deserve the very best and never settle. As a result, everyone thinks they are worth more than what they really are, and have an OVERLY high sense of entitlement and EGO, and thus price themselves out of the market.

If you were an employer, would you want to hire someone with a DELUSIONAL and overly high sense of entitlement who thinks he or she is worth a lot of money, just because the self-esteem industry brainwashed them to feel "special" and "worthy" of a very high salary and big pay, and that they "deserve the very best", just so the self-esteem/self-improvement industry can sell books. Because that's what people want to hear because it flatters their ego? It's insane and makes no sense.

Deluding everyone and spoiling them with a big ego and overly high sense of entitlement and self-worth is NOT a good thing. In the end, it makes companies and corporations move overseas and outsource American jobs to foreign workers that are more humble and down to earth. You can't blame them. Too bad Donald Trump doesn't have the guts to mention this during his rants against corporate outsourcing abroad. Only Winston Wu has the guts to tell such truths that spoiled people don't want to hear.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Winston is half right on this. If you are teaching online making ten dollars an hour while living in the Philippines say it's not too bad a deal. Probably it wouldn't be that easy to schedule, and you wouldn't want to do more than 15 hours, but that's 150 USD a week - and you don't need to leave the house provided you have decent internet. 600 USD a month will go a long way to covering basic costs. I used to teach some Russians online when I lived in Argentina - it only paid 8 an hour - paid forfood though. Doing something like this is also better than doing nothing - you are still building some skills. I can't imagine ten dollars and hour would tempt Winston himself though.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 4:59 pm
IvanMNG wrote:
Not exactly. Depends on how you define "poor pay" and how spoiled you are. The pay for teaching online starts at around 10 dollars per hour. That's not a bad wage in most countries.
I was making that teaching in Cambodia about 12 years ago. (I sometimes had to do annoying extra things like marking for no pay, but I understand this might be the case for teaching English online too). When you factor inflation into account, which I would calculate has roughly cut buying power in half, to agree to work for that now would be ridiculous. You would be better off on the dole in Western shitholes.
IvanMNG
Freshman Poster

Post by IvanMNG »

Winston wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 4:59 pm
IvanMNG wrote:
Not exactly. Depends on how you define "poor pay" and how spoiled you are. The pay for teaching online starts at around 10 dollars per hour. That's not a bad wage in most countries. It's above average in many countries in fact, especially the third world, where people make less than that for a full day's work. So from that perspective, it's not a poor wage, unless you are spoiled and used to making 30 dollars an hour. You can't judge everything from a spoiled person's point of view.

That's the problem with Americans today. Everyone thinks they are hot stuff and deserve to be making 30 dollars an hour just because some self-improvement/self-help book or guru tells you you deserve the very best and never settle. As a result, everyone thinks they are worth more than what they really are, and have an OVERLY high sense of entitlement and EGO, and thus price themselves out of the market.

If you were an employer, would you want to hire someone with a DELUSIONAL and overly high sense of entitlement who thinks he or she is worth a lot of money, just because the self-esteem industry brainwashed them to feel "special" and "worthy" of a very high salary and big pay, and that they "deserve the very best", just so the self-esteem/self-improvement industry can sell books. Because that's what people want to hear because it flatters their ego? It's insane and makes no sense.

Deluding everyone and spoiling them with a big ego and overly high sense of entitlement and self-worth is NOT a good thing. In the end, it makes companies and corporations move overseas and outsource American jobs to foreign workers that are more humble and down to earth. You can't blame them. Too bad Donald Trump doesn't have the guts to mention this during his rants against corporate outsourcing abroad. Only Winston Wu has the guts to tell such truths that spoiled people don't want to hear.
Basically, you're saying two things:

a) Americans (Which I'm not) are spoiled if they get 30$+/hour and should be thankful for that because someone else has it worse
b) Everyone who aspires to more is delusional, foreign workers are more down to earth and are delighted to do monotonous slave labor.

This still doesn't explain:

-Why should someone in a 1st world country be content with a 3rd world rate when the person has a 1st world cost of living?
-Why is someone who aspires to do better assumed to be delusional?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

IvanMNG wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 11:40 pm

a) Americans (Which I'm not) are spoiled if they get 30$+/hour and should be thankful for that because someone else has it worse
b) Everyone who aspires to more is delusional, foreign workers are more down to earth and are delighted to do monotonous slave labor.

-Why should someone in a 1st world country be content with a 3rd world rate when the person has a 1st world cost of living?
Yeah, you suck Winston, but that is basically the question. We can't or shouldn't live as third worlders now. We need insurance, internet access, flights and such too. And we are trying to better ourselves. You are not helping HA by suggesting we should live as third worlders.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

El_Caudillo wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 8:53 pm
Winston is half right on this. If you are teaching online making ten dollars an hour while living in the Philippines say it's not too bad a deal. Probably it wouldn't be that easy to schedule, and you wouldn't want to do more than 15 hours, but that's 150 USD a week - and you don't need to leave the house provided you have decent internet. 600 USD a month will go a long way to covering basic costs. I used to teach some Russians online when I lived in Argentina - it only paid 8 an hour - paid forfood though. Doing something like this is also better than doing nothing - you are still building some skills. I can't imagine ten dollars and hour would tempt Winston himself though.
Actually ive had a lot of jobs where i made 10 dollars an hour. I've worked for 7 or 8 dollars an hour too. In the 1990s making 9 dollars an hour was considered a good wage. Lots of asians liked it. Havent you seen my resume?

http://www.happierabroad.com/Resume.htm

The thing is i dont need such a wage now that i have passive income. Plus i dont have time to do everything i want to get done in a day anyway. My schedule is backed up by years. So i got no extra time anyway and 6 years to catch up on that is off schedule. You know what im talking about.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

IvanMNG wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 11:40 pm

No i didnt say that. If you live in first world thats different. Im talking about living in the third world like Philippines. You dont need a first world salary in a third world country. Unless you have a huge ego and sense of entitlement of course.

Ive hired filipinos to do stuff for me before. I do not pay them minimum wage of 7 dollars a day. I pay them something more reasonable. Like 4 dollars per hour. Thats a lot better than they get from a local filipino employer of course. But its not 30 dollars an hour.

Being reasonable is all i advocate. I dont pay too much or too little.

But everyone thinking they deserve 30 dollars an hour is f***ing delusional and extreme. Especially when its based on the self esteem movement that tells everyone that they are special and deserve the best.

If you were an employer would you like it if everyone demanded that you pay them 30 dollars an hour, even if they dont deserve it? Just because they have "high self esteem"? Lol. Think about it. You like overpaying people?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Cornfed wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 1:03 am
Yeah, you suck Winston, but that is basically the question. We can't or shouldn't live as third worlders now. We need insurance, internet access, flights and such too. And we are trying to better ourselves. You are not helping HA by suggesting we should live as third worlders.
I never said that. I was referring to living in the third world and making 10 dollars an hour, which is way above average in the third world. In the Philippines anyone would be happy to make that, unless they are from an upper class family.

When i hire workers in Philippines i pay them 4 dollars an hour, which is above average and they are happy with it.

Are you saying everyone ought to make 30 dollars an hour, even if they dont deserve it, just because they have "high self esteem" and self improvement books tell them that "you deserve nothing but the very best"? Lol. And that applies to everyone? Lol. Are you crazy? How would you feel if you were an employer and everyone thought that? Would you like that? Think about it. Stop being so self centered and greedy. Be reasonable.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 4:00 am
Cornfed wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 1:03 am
I never said that. I was referring to living in the third world and making 10 dollars an hour, which is way above average in the third world.
But we need to live on much, much more than that. It doesn't really matter whether we deserve it or not. We need it. When I opined on this in 2004 I said $1000 a month. Now I say $2000 a month. f**k what it the average third world wage and what your parents are paying you. That is what a white man would need, and it is indeed a lot.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Then you are a greedy bastard cornfed. No offense. I lived in Philippines on 400 USD a month just fine. All i did was be smart. If you are a dumb guy who wastes money and doesnt know how to count it then thats your problem. I wouldnt want you to be my accountant.

Read the threads here about minimalist living. There are many ways to live cheaply if you are smart. If you are dumb then i cant help you unless youre willing to change and learn.

Long ago in other threads i posted my 400 usd budget sheet and list of expenses for all to see. Theres no excuse why anyone cant do the same as long as they are responsible.