I want to live in the Philippines but how do I earn money?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
kingjoe60
Freshman Poster

I want to live in the Philippines but how do I earn money?

Post by kingjoe60 »

Hi
I want to move away from the uk and located in the philippines but how would i go about supporting myself when i am in the philippines.Any ideas Is it the case of trying to earn money when you are are out in the philippines from an online business maybe or work there. Or is it important to earn as much as u can in the develpoed world and then spent it in the third world. Then kept going back to the developed world to earn money. Any ideas i please i really hate this western dating scene
kingjoe60 youtube
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

What is your profession?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

i run an online sales business. you can run one with just a cell phone or a laptop. you will need a way to advertise. seo, email, or something.

obviously the more money for startup the better. try to copy what somebody else is doing successfully. no sense in taking risks trying out hairy ideas.
kingjoe60
Freshman Poster

Post by kingjoe60 »

no profession yet currently i am studying at university. Ladislav what do you think of philippines ? are u currently living there now. i have seen some of your comments before and you seem a wise guy. I think need some wise advice.

Yeah online sale business sounds i do a bit of that in the uk currently but the problem is you need a good product to sell.
kingjoe60 youtube
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Yes, I am in the Philippines now. The way I did it was to go to Saudi to work and save money. Then I started teaching online. You may want to consider going that route. Maybe go and work on a ship, save up some 20K. In the meantime, get online and go to some language exchange sites and give some free lessons online. Also google "native online ESL tutor" and set yourself up as a native ESL teacher with a photo on those sites. Get some cheap ESL certification. Google TESL certificate- some are only a couple of hundred bucks. Create an ESL resume.
There are always jobs teaching Koreans here although they pay little but enough to love on modestly. Google "native English ESL teachers wanted Philippines".
Some guys 'orbit' the Philippines for a couple of years teaching in Korea/Taiwan and visiting regularly until they have figured the way to work online and make money.
Last year I was making $1200 a month online but this year the business is slow so I am only making $500-600. You can live on that but very modestly and some guys even raise families on that. Where there's a will, there is a way. For specific details PM me.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: i want to live in the philippines but how do earn $

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

kingjoe60 wrote: Or is it important to earn as much as u can in the develpoed world and then spent it in the third world.
This is my plan.
xpatwanab
Freshman Poster

Making $$ in the Phils or anywhere else for that matter

Post by xpatwanab »

I believe the Teaching ESL classes if you are a native speaker is a great idea although I have not yet tried it. The online option is becoming increasingly popular. However there are a lot of schools catering specifically to Koreans there in the Phils. As was said before typically these schools are not going to pay a lot. I am looking to move to the Phils within the next year and plan to build some stuff on-line even before I leave the US where I have a well paying full time job right now. I try to get to the Phils ever 3-4 months right now or as much as my current work will allow. I have an apartment in the Phils and a GF so when I do go my expenses are kept to a minimum ( I figure a grand for the flight and a grand for spending each time). I suggest getting on a few of the On-line Freelance websites where you can bid on consulting or whatever jobs that can be done via the internet. You can do these jobs no matter where you are in the Universe as long as you have a good internet connection. Again, I would recommend giving this a good test drive from wherever you are now while you still have an solid income. Then when you move to the Phils you will already have an established clientele. I have a few ideas for business ventures in the Phils, but from what I have read it is not that easy as a foreigner to establish a business in the Phils. I figure I will do more research on this later. The online freelance stuff is available for anything from proofreading to developing business plans to accounting work. These bidding services seem to be increasingly popular. I am taking a class online from Barefoot Consultants, Winton Churchill (yep thats his name) http://www.barefootconsultants.com. In the class/consulting sessions Winton helps you develop an online presence for doing freelance work in your area of expertise. I wonder how many of us are looking to escape our homeland to find a better lifestyle in other parts of the world. I do believe there are tens of thousands. I have a buddy who has found a way to make a living in the Ukraine and has been living there for the past few years. My tastes lean towards Asia and more specifically the Philippines. I don't think it really matters much where you go, but you just have to figure out what works for you. I think the Internet has made the world smaller and it is possible to make your money from other parts of the world/more developed countries while living in the Phils.

Another thing to check out depending on your qualifications are the "Linked In" Ex Pat job/career forums . There are several recruiting people on there and typically looking for management types for call centers, but I have seen a fair amount of jobs for other consultants also on there. I am not sure what the chances are going in that direction, but the more you put yourself out there the better your chances are of ending up in the Phils.
targetguy
Freshman Poster

realestate

Post by targetguy »

8) if you owned a few rentals in the us or pi or a business there like a cafe i think anyone could survivie there well. Most people seem to end up there at a older age
with a ss check or retirement but the business or rentals may work.
no scammers
Mr Average
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Average »

I reckon find a job that pays well, even if its terrible work. Do it for a year or two and save as much as possible. Then chuck it all in the bank. Not sure what the interest rates are like in the UK at the moment (probably as bad as the US, ie. 2-3% for term deposits, if that). In Australia, you can get close to 7% just from online saving accounts so I'd look into opening up an account over here. $100k in one of those and you are looking at $7,000AUD or so a year in interest income, or $320,000 pesos. I'd reckon you could just about get by in the Philippines on that (note I've never been there, purely based on what I've been reading on this site, so take it with a grain of salt). I guess you'd really want about double that to be somewhat comfortable. The key is not to eat into your capital too much. Every few years you could always find something else to top things up.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: i want to live in the philippines but how do earn $

Post by Rock »

Northamericanguy wrote:
kingjoe60 wrote: Or is it important to earn as much as u can in the develpoed world and then spent it in the third world.
This is my plan.
Better modify that slightly:

1. Earn as much as you can in developed world while spending like a pauper.
2. Invest the savings in high income generating opportunities - overseas rental real estate or certain high yielding financial products.
3. Spend the income from those investments in the third world but preserve the capital.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is Ladislav's story of how he earns a living in the Philippines teaching English online.

viewtopic.php?t=8998
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Depending on your income, use the west perhaps for purchasing some property to let out, maybe 3 will be enough to give you a good living out there, tax would be cheap if the PI was your domicile.
Zero_Tolerance_Man
Freshman Poster

Ready

Post by Zero_Tolerance_Man »

I have saved close to half a million dollars and have more coming from a family trust. I am thinking of moving to the PH finally because I hate American women in the whole USA culture. I will have to sacrifice a lot of material things but guess a can replace some of them. I am concerned about medical care and guess I can find whatever I need if I go to Manila. Also, I need to stay out of the sun and am concerned that I won't be able to do that in the PH. I seem to be able to do it in Florida but everything is air conditioned. BTW, women from S. Florida are the worlds worst cunts. Any thoughts?
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Do you need a degree to teach ESL online? Not all of us have a degree :D.

Are there any ways that aren't scams, to make enough money online to support yourself (in the Philippines for me), if you don't have a degree?
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
buddy77
Freshman Poster

@ZTM

Post by buddy77 »

congrats on making the big move. But have you visited PH for extended periods? You should do that before deciding to move anywhere