Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Help! I need to start making money online ASAP

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Help! I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby gits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm an idiot.

I know how to build websites and have access to all sorts of technology. I have an MBA. Lots of business experience, but...

I tend to paint myself into a corner financially and then get lazy and just work a job.

I have this book and a sequel (see links below) and I'm also an artist, however ever since I returned to Taiwan I have been trying to build some kind of online business (from my office in Taipei Taiwan)

But I don't have access to medical Marijuana anymore, so I am dependent on a sober brain, and I can't focus.

can we discuss possible Online Money Opportunities here?

I have a lot of existing domains, but I can't seem to get started with ad-sense (which I already have an account) and what product or service to sell.

Obviously, my ebooks are an existing product. but what else is hot? please help me with your advice.
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta
gits
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 am

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh boy, do I have a lot to say about this one.

As I know, there are the primary ways one can make money online:

1. Provide a product or service that people are willing to pay for. (e.g. Ebay.com, Amazon.com, etc.)
2. Serve as an online middle man and outsource work to others, earning commissions from the deals made and services rendered.
3. Provide good web content that draws significant steady traffic - by generating content on a website, blog or forum (a public platform where others can generate content for you), and using backlinks, optimized key words for SEO (search engine optimization), advertising and cross-promotions to build up your traffic. Then earn advertising revenue and affiliate commissions from that traffic, and product/service sales as well. (that's what I do)
4. Do freelance work for others, such as freelance writing, editing, video editing, programming, etc. on a contractual basis.
5. Provide some kind of personal service, such as consulting, teaching English to foreign students via Skype, etc.

Why don't you start first, by putting your ebook on Kindle? I do that and it gets regular sales every month. It's very easy to do. Just go here and set it up.

http://dtp.amazon.com

Google "How to make money online" to find a lot of information about this. Here are some good links I've found:

http://www.thewebmoneyworld.com

http://www.moneyonline.net

http://www.blogstash.com/53-ways-to-make-money-online/

http://www.101waystomakemoney.com

http://www.smartpassiveincome.com

I personally recommend this Passionpreneur guy I know who teaches people how to turn their "passion into profit". His books have a lot of awesome valuable advice in teaching you how to find resourceful ways of doing what you love and making a living from it. His name is Walt Goodridge. See his site here:

http://www.passionprofit.com

Freelancer sites:

http://myseoblog.net/2008/04/07/lists-o ... nce-sites/

http://www.freelancer.com

http://www.getafreelancer.com

http://www.elance.com

http://www.guru.com

http://www.directfreelance.com

http://www.demandstudios.com

http://www.odesk.com

http://www.essaybay.com

Teach English online:

http://www.verbalplanet.com/teach-english.asp

Anyway, making money online takes a lot of time to build up.

If you had been the guy to start Forumosa.com, the biggest Taiwan expat forum, you would have been set. That forum has high traffic and with Adsense, you could make good money from it. Forums take time to build up and are hard to jumpstart unless you have a pre-existing fan base. But if you have a lot of traffic, you can monetize it with online ads, adsense, affiliate ads, pay per click ads, monthly sponsorship ads, etc. But this area is very competitive.

Or if you have a product or service to sell that sells well, then you can sell it online too.

Or you can do freelance work at the links above. If you're in a rush, that's probably the best way to start.

Or you can teach English online. Ladislav can help you get started with that. You have experience teaching English, so you'd qualify.

The owner of plentyoffish.com makes about $10,000 a month I hear. He sleeps on a mattress made of $100 bills.

So running a dating site is another option.

Maybe you can run a dating site for foreigners seeking Taiwanese partners? Or ABC's seeking Taiwanese partners? That'd be something more unique. When you run a dating site, you can charge membership fees, or make it free and make money from Adsense ads, like the highly successful DateinAsia.com does. If thousands of people are viewing Adsense ads, which contain pay per impression ads (CPM) in which you make money just from people viewing the ads even if they don't click on them, it's easy money. Of course, clicks are paid and counted too.

You can also sell text link ads: www.text-link-ads.com That too, is easy money.

See if you can learn from the successful sites above.

You can learn a little from my site too, which as you can see, earns money from multiple income streams - advertising revenue, affiliate commissions, dating site memberships, ebook sales on Amazon, etc. I earn just enough now to cover my basic expenses, and am about halfway toward financial independence. That's better than what most have been able to do.

It's not easy though, and it takes a lot of time, promotion and improvement. Remember, content is the key.

You can also try to buy an existing online business at www.sitepoint.com . We have a discussion about that here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?p=11227

The Digital Point Forums specializes in online money making opportunities. There are millions of people sharing ideas there.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com

Momopi, anything you want to add?

So gits, what's wrong with continuing to teach English in Taiwan? What are the downsides of doing that? Do you qualify to be an IELTS examiner? You can talk to Mr S about that. It's an easy job with short hours, only a few days a week, and pays very well.
Last edited by Winston on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:20 am, edited 13 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Since this is an important topic and one that is often asked, maybe we should make this thread a sticky, so that we can refer to it to others who ask the same question?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Help I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

gits wrote:I'm an idiot.

I know how to build websites and have access to all sorts of technology. I have an MBA. Lots of business experience, but...

I tend to paint myself into a corner financially and then get lazy and just work a job.

I have this book and a sequel (see links below) and I'm also an artist, however ever since I returned to Taiwan I have been trying to build some kind of online business (from my office in Taipei Taiwan)

But I don't have access to medical Marijuana anymore, so I am dependent on a sober brain, and I can't focus.

can we discuss possible Online Money Opportunities here?

I have a lot of existing domains, but I can't seem to get started with ad-sense (which I already have an account) and what product or service to sell.

Obviously, my ebooks are an existing product. but what else is hot? please help me with your advice.


Thanks for the book link. I've downloaded it and began skimming already. Just glancing at what you write about "Aysel" confirms what I've said about how easy it is for an average looking westerner who's bold enough to break the local rules get all kinds of action. I will read the whole thing and say or ask more.

Winston, perhaps you can read this book to.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Here are some freelancing ideas posted by another forum member who himself works at home as a freelancer.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=10810
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Help I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Rock wrote:Thanks for the book link. I've downloaded it and began skimming already. Just glancing at what you write about "Aysel" confirms what I've said about how easy it is for an average looking westerner who's bold enough to break the local rules get all kinds of action. I will read the whole thing and say or ask more.

Winston, perhaps you can read this book to.


I read his book years ago and referred to it in one of my essays, asking how it can contradict what I see in Taiwan 100 percent. The fact that not a single sincere Taiwanese guy I know would agree that Taiwan is a dating/sex paradise speaks volumes, doesn't it?

This must mean that white guys experience a completely different Taiwan than Asian guys do. That is the only logical explanation.

Gits told me that too.

Why are you so religious in your belief that Taiwan is a dating/sex paradise? Not all white guys say that too. And if it is, then why bother to go to Thailand or PI? What can you get there that you can't get in Taiwan?

Also, how come guys like to CLAIM that girls are easy, but normal girls do not act easy or give indication that they are? Is that due to typical guy macho talk? How come guys always say "I got her drunk and we went back to my place and did it" but in real life I see girls rejecting guys that want to sleep with them, showing that they are not easy at all? We are talking normal girls here, not hoes. Guys are so weird. I swear.

You only proved that you can chat up some girls in Taiwan if you're white, but not that Taiwan is some sex paradise.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

I just made this thread a sticky so people can refer to it when the topic comes up.

Some useful links I found.

Application to be a freelance writer for About.com:

http://beaguide.about.com/

Job opportunities with Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/jobs/
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Help I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:Thanks for the book link. I've downloaded it and began skimming already. Just glancing at what you write about "Aysel" confirms what I've said about how easy it is for an average looking westerner who's bold enough to break the local rules get all kinds of action. I will read the whole thing and say or ask more.

Winston, perhaps you can read this book to.


I read his book years ago and referred to it in one of my essays, asking how it can contradict what I see in Taiwan 100 percent. The fact that not a single sincere Taiwanese guy I know would agree that Taiwan is a dating/sex paradise speaks volumes, doesn't it?

This must mean that white guys experience a completely different Taiwan than Asian guys do. That is the only logical explanation.

Gits told me that too.

Why are you so religious in your belief that Taiwan is a dating/sex paradise? Not all white guys say that too. And if it is, then why bother to go to Thailand or PI? What can you get there that you can't get in Taiwan?

Also, how come guys like to CLAIM that girls are easy, but normal girls do not act easy or give indication that they are? Is that due to typical guy macho talk? How come guys always say "I got her drunk and we went back to my place and did it" but in real life I see girls rejecting guys that want to sleep with them, showing that they are not easy at all? We are talking normal girls here, not hoes. Guys are so weird. I swear.

You only proved that you can chat up some girls in Taiwan if you're white, but not that Taiwan is some sex paradise.


- Now you're the one with amnesia. I've always qualified my "Taiwan can be a dating paradise" statement with a clause to the effect of "for certain types of guys - regular average Joe type westerners".

- I never said the book contradicted what you see in Taiwan. It would be rather foolish to make such a claim after just skimming it for 2-3 minutes. I need to read the whole thing properly to draw any solid conclusions. I simply referred to one paragraph about one character which supported some of the things I've said before about Taiwan.

- I think easy is the wrong word. It has bad connotations which I don't generally attribute to regular Taiwan girls. And as you've mentioned before, I'm not one of those macho guys. I do my best to give an honest and objective assessment. I tell it exactly like its happened to me and other guys around me. And a lot of the so-called bragging I may do is on behalf of other guys anyway. If I'm a braggart, wouldn't I always make myself the hero, lol?

- Why go to Thailand or PI? First, I have gf here and do not have the freedom to work-on girls here. Nor am I at a good age for this (up to around 30-35). Secondly, Thailand and PI are fun sometimes because (in theory) you can just point, click, enjoy, dispose, and walk-away with no baggage. It usually takes less work and goes a lot faster (not that I mind the work but again, with the gf on-the-ground, its really not tenable). Plus, you don't have to deal so much with girls who stick to you or are jealous of your other girls.

- I think you are right. Taiwan is a different world for some westerners vs. locals, just like certain countries are better for blacks than whites. But recently, one of my Taiwan American friends living in Shanghai came over and I met up with him. At the end of our visit, he actually got aggressively approached by a tall Taiwanese model hottie and her friend. Here's the context:

A few years ago, he was considered a total loser. His career was stalled, he only had a few million NT$ of net worth at late 40s, drank heavily, and stood just 165 cm. Whenever he went out clubbing with the guys, westerners or Taiwanese, he always got rejected by all the girls he approached. But then he moved to Shanghai, invested heavily in real estate and restaurants, and secured a decent private banking job. Now he's a US$ multi-millionaire and is a well recognized face in a few Shanghai restaurants that he's partnered in. One of those is "Brown Sugar", similar to the club in Taipei with the same name where I met with him this time. On our way out, a couple girls walking in did a double take and asked him if he was the Shanghai "Brown Sugar" boss. Next thing I know, the hottest one is all over him, asking for his phone number, hugging him, holding on to him, and insisting that he meet with her the next day to drink. The girl was very young, tall, and sexy while he's short 50 something. And she spoke great English. Granted, she had obviously been drinking. But she treated him like some big celebrity while I just stood to the side with my mouth open. I managed to take one photo of the interaction. He has re-invented himself into a cigar smoking, suspender wearing Chinese big-shot and apparently, it works great on some Chinese and Taiwanese girls.

- I may add more after I read Git's book.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby gits » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 am

thanks for the replies, I'll have to start going through those links.
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta
gits
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 am

Postby Rock » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:09 am

gits wrote:thanks for the replies, I'll have to start going through those links.


Gits, I already finished your first ebook. Great read! How do I get the sequel? You still in Taipei?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby gits » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 am

Rock wrote:Gits, I already finished your first ebook. Great read! How do I get the sequel? You still in Taipei?


See ? this is what I'm talking about.... Why am I not making money off my book?

I have printed copies. I have a printed copy of the sequel only. Rock, where are you. contact me using the portal in the website or PM me here

I want to send you a copy!
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta
gits
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 am

Postby Rock » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 am

gits wrote:
Rock wrote:Gits, I already finished your first ebook. Great read! How do I get the sequel? You still in Taipei?


See ? this is what I'm talking about.... Why am I not making money off my book?

I have printed copies. I have a printed copy of the sequel only. Rock, where are you. contact me using the portal in the website or PM me here

I want to send you a copy!


Hey Gits, I'm in Taipei. Your first ebook brought back all kinds of memories. I'm familiar with most of the Taipei venues you mentioned including the hostel you lived in. I had a couple American friends who stayed there - one named David and the other Eric (weightlifter you mentioned). It is quite the place, just as you described. I even remember there was a pet squirrel tied to a small leash near the front window on the 4th floor which belonged to the landlord.

And I'm happy to make a US$20 donation for the free book since I found it so interesting and engaging. Same goes for you second book which I'm sure will be a good read as well. Too bad its only in hard copy. I've all but sworn-off physical books but can make an exception in this case. I'll read it and then pass it on to someone else.

If you're still in Taipei, perhaps we can meet up for a coffee or beer sometime and you can hand me the book in person. PM me for my contact details.

Again, thanks for posting the free link to your first book.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Help I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby Winston » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:01 am

Rock wrote:- Now you're the one with amnesia. I've always qualified my "Taiwan can be a dating paradise" statement with a clause to the effect of "for certain types of guys - regular average Joe type westerners".

- I never said the book contradicted what you see in Taiwan. It would be rather foolish to make such a claim after just skimming it for 2-3 minutes. I need to read the whole thing properly to draw any solid conclusions. I simply referred to one paragraph about one character which supported some of the things I've said before about Taiwan.

- I think easy is the wrong word. It has bad connotations which I don't generally attribute to regular Taiwan girls. And as you've mentioned before, I'm not one of those macho guys. I do my best to give an honest and objective assessment. I tell it exactly like its happened to me and other guys around me. And a lot of the so-called bragging I may do is on behalf of other guys anyway. If I'm a braggart, wouldn't I always make myself the hero, lol?

- Why go to Thailand or PI? First, I have gf here and do not have the freedom to work-on girls here. Nor am I at a good age for this (up to around 30-35). Secondly, Thailand and PI are fun sometimes because (in theory) you can just point, click, enjoy, dispose, and walk-away with no baggage. It usually takes less work and goes a lot faster (not that I mind the work but again, with the gf on-the-ground, its really not tenable). Plus, you don't have to deal so much with girls who stick to you or are jealous of your other girls.

- I think you are right. Taiwan is a different world for some westerners vs. locals, just like certain countries are better for blacks than whites. But recently, one of my Taiwan American friends living in Shanghai came over and I met up with him. At the end of our visit, he actually got aggressively approached by a tall Taiwanese model hottie and her friend. Here's the context:

A few years ago, he was considered a total loser. His career was stalled, he only had a few million NT$ of net worth at late 40s, drank heavily, and stood just 165 cm. Whenever he went out clubbing with the guys, westerners or Taiwanese, he always got rejected by all the girls he approached. But then he moved to Shanghai, invested heavily in real estate and restaurants, and secured a decent private banking job. Now he's a US$ multi-millionaire and is a well recognized face in a few Shanghai restaurants that he's partnered in. One of those is "Brown Sugar", similar to the club in Taipei with the same name where I met with him this time. On our way out, a couple girls walking in did a double take and asked him if he was the Shanghai "Brown Sugar" boss. Next thing I know, the hottest one is all over him, asking for his phone number, hugging him, holding on to him, and insisting that he meet with her the next day to drink. The girl was very young, tall, and sexy while he's short 50 something. And she spoke great English. Granted, she had obviously been drinking. But she treated him like some big celebrity while I just stood to the side with my mouth open. I managed to take one photo of the interaction. He has re-invented himself into a cigar smoking, suspender wearing Chinese big-shot and apparently, it works great on some Chinese and Taiwanese girls.

- I may add more after I read Git's book.


But that's vague, for "certain types" of guys? That could mean anything. You said that your "certain types of guys" were average joe westerners? Huh? Isn't that a contradiction? Average joe westerners means pretty much any guy, not just certain types.

But in any case, not all western guys in Taiwan claim that it is a dating paradise. Some say that it is not much different than dating in the US.

The book does contradict what I see in Taiwan, cause several people in it say, "Anyone can get laid in Taiwan! It's so easy and guaranteed!"

But in reality, most normal girls in first world countries are not easy. They are perfectly happy going home alone, even if they are alone. It's the guys who are horny and desperate. Yet guys always claim that girls are easy for some reason. It's really weird.

Why don't you show your Taiwanese American friend our long discussion threads about Taiwan, and ask him what he thinks? Or let me contact him? Is he a down to earth type, or a big talker like my Filipino American friend?

Btw, remember that hot Chinese girl that me and Dianne met in Sagada? I posted her pics too, in that thread. Well if a typical western guy met her, a girl staying by herself in a hotel room, he would have said something like this: "We went out for a few drinks. The alcohol warmed her up to me. Then we went to my room and shagged."

However, in real life, most lone women travelers are perfectly happy to sleep alone and are not easy at all. They are not looking to get shagged or hook up. They are only interested in platonic civil conversations with other travelers. Most girls in hostels are like that too. That's what I see in ACTUAL REAL LIFE most of the time. I do not see normal girls who are easy and waiting to get drunk so you can shag them. Yet that's what guys always claim, that girls are easy to shag, and that women in hotel rooms by themselves always invite you in cause they are ready and willing to do it. But it's not the reality that I see at all. Most women staying in hotels alone are totally happy to sleep alone and are not seeking romantic encounters.

Rock, how come you don't like to admit that guys lie a lot and make up BS?

Gits, you're back in Taiwan? Why? I thought you said you were sick of it? What are the downsides of teaching English there? I heard the pay is good.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 am

gits wrote:
Rock wrote:Gits, I already finished your first ebook. Great read! How do I get the sequel? You still in Taipei?


See ? this is what I'm talking about.... Why am I not making money off my book?

I have printed copies. I have a printed copy of the sequel only. Rock, where are you. contact me using the portal in the website or PM me here

I want to send you a copy!


Didn't I tell you, you can put up your ebook on Amazon Kindle and it will sell regularly. All you have to do is upload it in electronic format and set your price. It's free, and you get paid by direct deposit into your bank account.

http://dtp.amazon.com

You can put up your printed copy on Amazon.com by going through CreateSpace, which is a print on demand subsidiary of Amazon. It's also free. To get set up:

http://www.createspace.com
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Help I need to start making money online ASAP

Postby Rock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:- Now you're the one with amnesia. I've always qualified my "Taiwan can be a dating paradise" statement with a clause to the effect of "for certain types of guys - regular average Joe type westerners".

- I never said the book contradicted what you see in Taiwan. It would be rather foolish to make such a claim after just skimming it for 2-3 minutes. I need to read the whole thing properly to draw any solid conclusions. I simply referred to one paragraph about one character which supported some of the things I've said before about Taiwan.

- I think easy is the wrong word. It has bad connotations which I don't generally attribute to regular Taiwan girls. And as you've mentioned before, I'm not one of those macho guys. I do my best to give an honest and objective assessment. I tell it exactly like its happened to me and other guys around me. And a lot of the so-called bragging I may do is on behalf of other guys anyway. If I'm a braggart, wouldn't I always make myself the hero, lol?

- Why go to Thailand or PI? First, I have gf here and do not have the freedom to work-on girls here. Nor am I at a good age for this (up to around 30-35). Secondly, Thailand and PI are fun sometimes because (in theory) you can just point, click, enjoy, dispose, and walk-away with no baggage. It usually takes less work and goes a lot faster (not that I mind the work but again, with the gf on-the-ground, its really not tenable). Plus, you don't have to deal so much with girls who stick to you or are jealous of your other girls.

- I think you are right. Taiwan is a different world for some westerners vs. locals, just like certain countries are better for blacks than whites. But recently, one of my Taiwan American friends living in Shanghai came over and I met up with him. At the end of our visit, he actually got aggressively approached by a tall Taiwanese model hottie and her friend. Here's the context:

A few years ago, he was considered a total loser. His career was stalled, he only had a few million NT$ of net worth at late 40s, drank heavily, and stood just 165 cm. Whenever he went out clubbing with the guys, westerners or Taiwanese, he always got rejected by all the girls he approached. But then he moved to Shanghai, invested heavily in real estate and restaurants, and secured a decent private banking job. Now he's a US$ multi-millionaire and is a well recognized face in a few Shanghai restaurants that he's partnered in. One of those is "Brown Sugar", similar to the club in Taipei with the same name where I met with him this time. On our way out, a couple girls walking in did a double take and asked him if he was the Shanghai "Brown Sugar" boss. Next thing I know, the hottest one is all over him, asking for his phone number, hugging him, holding on to him, and insisting that he meet with her the next day to drink. The girl was very young, tall, and sexy while he's short 50 something. And she spoke great English. Granted, she had obviously been drinking. But she treated him like some big celebrity while I just stood to the side with my mouth open. I managed to take one photo of the interaction. He has re-invented himself into a cigar smoking, suspender wearing Chinese big-shot and apparently, it works great on some Chinese and Taiwanese girls.

- I may add more after I read Git's book.


But that's vague, for "certain types" of guys? That could mean anything. You said that your "certain types of guys" were average joe westerners? Huh? Isn't that a contradiction? Average joe westerners means pretty much any guy, not just certain types.

But in any case, not all western guys in Taiwan claim that it is a dating paradise. Some say that it is not much different than dating in the US.

The book does contradict what I see in Taiwan, cause several people in it say, "Anyone can get laid in Taiwan! It's so easy and guaranteed!"

But in reality, most normal girls in first world countries are not easy. They are perfectly happy going home alone, even if they are alone. It's the guys who are horny and desperate. Yet guys always claim that girls are easy for some reason. It's really weird.

Why don't you show your Taiwanese American friend our long discussion threads about Taiwan, and ask him what he thinks? Or let me contact him? Is he a down to earth type, or a big talker like my Filipino American friend?

Btw, remember that hot Chinese girl that me and Dianne met in Sagada? I posted her pics too, in that thread. Well if a typical western guy met her, a girl staying by herself in a hotel room, he would have said something like this: "We went out for a few drinks. The alcohol warmed her up to me. Then we went to my room and shagged."

However, in real life, most lone women travelers are perfectly happy to sleep alone and are not easy at all. They are not looking to get shagged or hook up. They are only interested in platonic civil conversations with other travelers. Most girls in hostels are like that too. That's what I see in ACTUAL REAL LIFE most of the time. I do not see normal girls who are easy and waiting to get drunk so you can shag them. Yet that's what guys always claim, that girls are easy to shag, and that women in hotel rooms by themselves always invite you in cause they are ready and willing to do it. But it's not the reality that I see at all. Most women staying in hotels alone are totally happy to sleep alone and are not seeking romantic encounters.

Rock, how come you don't like to admit that guys lie a lot and make up BS?

Gits, you're back in Taiwan? Why? I thought you said you were sick of it? What are the downsides of teaching English there? I heard the pay is good.


Hey Winston.

1. In previous Taiwan discussions, I’ve elaborated on the ‘handicap’ concept and claimed that average Joe westerners who are aggressively proactive get the biggest dating handicaps in Taiwan. By average Joe, I’m talking about regular guys – those who roughly fall in middle 60% looks and body-wise (that eliminates worst 20% and best 20%) and have the balls to frequently approach strangers and/or have figured out how to operate effectively in local or foreign frequented Taipei pubs. This segment will get the biggest dating handicap in Taiwan. Of course, the best looking 20% can do very well too but they can also do well in many other countries so Taipei environment does not help them as much.

2. The western guys I’ve seen who don’t do well with Taiwan girls tend to either be unable to relate to their communication style (different wavelength) and/or just don’t have the balls or desire to approach a lot and experiment with various strategies. For example, my weightlifter friend (mentioned in Git’s book) who spends half the year in Taipei and the rest in Pattaya has no idea how to relate or talk with Taiwan girls (he thinks they’re like silly adolescents) plus he feels too old so lacks the confidence to try. And he hates wasting money and time on dates. He’s a point-and-click Pattaya kinda guy. He’s had a couple local girls fall into his lap (girls into muscle guys) over the years but he generally stays dry in Taiwan or else finds an overseas contract worker.

3. I do know for a fact that a fair number of western guys do very well here, not because they told me but rather because I observed them myself with many young and attractive girls who were clearly into them. Some cases are quite incredible – guys who are clearly below average looking or just appear strange or down-and-out in some way.

4. I agree with you that most normal girls in first world countries are not easy and don’t mind going home alone. But there is something strange about the people or at least some of girls here in Taiwan. It’s like they’re missing something in life. Perhaps they are too repressed by the local culture or have too much job pressure. It seems to drive some of them to bizarre behavior patterns – hitting clubs every weeknight, seeking lesbian relationships or 1-night/multi night-stands with foreigners while having a LT local boyfriend, etc. Going for things or experiences which are different may be a coping strategy for them. Others may be looking to escape the family, classmate circle, boyfriend, etc. Just a bit of speculation. Thing is, even many of the girls you meet during the day in regular places around Taipei can seem to have a lot of issues and be open to new things if you just attempt to pry her open.

5. Git’s book is very credible to me. I’m familiar with his hostel, the nightspots, and other details he describes plus the gangster attacks outside clubs. I didn’t always agree with his interpretations of events around him but everything he described seemed spot-on. I’ve seen women just like the Hsinchu woman he dated – local big fish in small town wannabes who are tight with some local police, politicians, and gangsters – who tend to unravel emotionally over time eventually lose it as they get older. And I know of hostel guys who can go out for the night and often return several hours later with a young sweet thing in tow. Git himself did not have the best luck with the local ladies although he still was able to date a lot. I’m guessing his failure to do any better stemmed from an inability to connect well with a lot of gals (wavelength thing) or perhaps he just wasn’t sufficiently motivated like his buddy to get out and experiment. Care to elaborate Git?

6. I agree some guys lie a lot and make-up BS. When someone talks to me, I evaluate what he says and compare it to my own experience and observations. I also make a lot of credibility judgments based on his demeanor and body language. If all’s reasonable in this context, I don’t generally doubt him. But if it seems difficult to believe for any reason (say loser type westerner claiming he gets laid a lot for free with Bangkok hi-so girls or making US$15K per month selling stuff on-line), then I’m going to dig further should his claims be of interest to me. Once in awhile, I get surprised by such cases.

7. One surprise case was my Taiwanese American friend you referred to from my previous post. He spent most of the visit bragging to me about how much money he made and how he was a big-shot in Shanghai. I believed him on the money side (cus I know him not to lie about stuff like this) but thought he was BSing (or perhaps had a distorted perception) about having celebrity status in the restaurant/clubs he was partnered in. I just assumed he was a small partner with no real clout. But then when we walked out of Brown Sugar, those two girls mobbed him so there may very well be some substance behind his claims. Perhaps I will learn more next time I visit Shanghai.

8. No need to show him this thread or forum. I can tell you his attitude. He’s been ‘Shanghaified’. He thinks Taiwan is just some stagnating small-time outpost, westerners in China have lost their prestige to the local ‘new rich class’, and women will naturally flock to the moneyed locals. Western guys pulling local gals in Taiwan does not impress him since he gets model quality girls in China who fit his specs to a tee. His values are become centered on money and prestige. He’s gonna look down on English teachers, hostel dwellers, and other guys without substantial financial resources including many on this forum.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Next

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest