Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Postby GenYguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 am

Original Title of OP: 20 years old, no skills, want to move to the Philippines?
Update on 11/9/13: This post is about where I started from. You can go through the thread and see my progress and you'll find tips on SEO writing in my later posts. I'm still adding new things that I learn.

I have read lots of threads in this part of the forums about how to support yourself abroad. I have to say, being 20 years old and having no job or work experience, knowing only English, and being a high school dropout (though I did get a GED), all of the methods proposed are unfamiliar to me, and I'll admit, intimidating (as well as a lot of the terminology). The sheer amount of ways to make money online, and not having experience in ANY of them, is also intimidating. How do I choose? Where do I start..?

After dropping out of high school, I went right into community college, and wasted my parents money dropping out before finishing my first semester. I then went right back later and did the same thing, AGAIN...

Then, I was 18 at this point, I had basically given up on life and stayed home playing video games the next two years... and trying to decide what I wanted in life. Recently I decided, I wanted to move to the Philippines. I am still a virgin (porn FTL...), never even had a girlfriend. The sad part is I am good looking :(. I put my profile and picture up on Date in Asia, and everyday I get messages from girls saying how cute I am (I am also a white guy)...it pisses me off! That I can't be THERE where I could meet girls who would actually want to meet ME, rather than the girls here in the USA who have never shown an interest in me (ever...), probably because I've never been popular, not unpopular either really, just invisible...I am so grateful for the existence of this website. I never would have tried DIA otherwise. Never would have known what I was missing... and it's thanks to that, that I'm bothering to write this long thread and ask for your help...

So, you can see why I want to go to Asia hehe, specifically the Philppines, since it's cheaper to live there and they speak English, and I think Filipinas are SEXY...

Anyway yes, I decided I want to move to the PH... and live a simpler life there.

The dilemma for me is HOW??? I never have had any real interests (except playing video games, and that doesn't count)... I am smart though (so I've been told), but I have always been pretty lazy lol. I did good in school (on the honors roll every year, making As etc) up until junior year in high school, then I don't know what happened. Point is, I can do well (I know I can) if I set my mind to it...

Deciding what I wanted was a huge step for me, now all that's missing is the how...

I have never had a job in my life. My parents have been supporting me living with them (they are great people...), but I can't take it anymore. I want freedom, I want to get laid and have fun while I'm still young, AT MY OWN RESIDENCE, without incurring their judgement!!.. I want to be INDEPENDENT... (I can't even drive yet either lol, I could learn and get a drivers license but honestly I've never had a strong enough desire to even bother, since I don't have any of my own money so where would I even go in this boring little US city that I live)

Currently, I'm doing my third attempt at Community College (maybe I'm crazy lol). I'm retaking the classes I failed before, and my college has a policy that if you fail a class a third time, you can't retake it EVER again, and the Fs remain on your transcripts FOREVER...

So that is a huge motivator for me to do well this time. I'm already about 1/4 of the way done this time (farther than I've gotten before), and my grades are good this time at least :). But, the next semester if I keep going to school, I will have to take out student loans somehow, because the savings my parents had for me are all depleted (I already feel shitty enough about that, don't need to remind me).

The point is, I'm questioning whether I really want to keep going to college after this semester ends. Do I want that monstrous debt? Or do I want to find a way to make money somehow now, online, and go and live my new dream in the Philippines? I'm leaning STRONGLY towards the latter, but like I said, I have no idea how I should do it...

Again to summarize:
-I have no marketable skills, except typing? lol. I can type pretty fast. Playing World of Warcraft is good training for that hahaha.
-Most of my life I have been introverted, preferring to be alone, reading books when I was younger and playing video games, until now it's progressed to spending all my time either studying, or being online trying to figure out life and how to support myself...I quit the video games a couple months ago.
-I probably have several personality disorders, hahaha XD...
-I guess I could try to become an online English Teacher, but again I have no qualifications except I speak English, lol. I also suspect that I have APD (auditory processing disorder), the reason being that I had a lot of ear infections when I was younger growing up, which explains my difficulties understanding new accents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_p ... g_disorder. From Wikipedia: "Auditory processing disorder (APD), also known as central auditory processing disorder (CAPD) is an umbrella term for a variety of disorders that affect the way the brain processes auditory information.[1] Individuals with APD usually have normal structure and function of the outer, middle and inner ear (peripheral hearing). However, they cannot process the information they hear in the same way as others do, which leads to difficulties in recognizing and interpreting sounds, especially the sounds composing speech. It is thought that these difficulties arise from dysfunction in the central nervous system (i.e., brain). APD has been referred to as dyslexia for the ears." Despite this, I still want to live abroad since I hate where I am here in the US. I know I might have a harder time communicating with people from other countries, but at least the women in the PH want to meet ME to begin with...
-It feels good getting all this off my chest.
-I don't need therapy. Been there, done that. It was a waste of time...
-I haven't tried writing articles before, I don't have any life experience or deep knowledge about anything to make a living writing about it (I am willing to learn about new things now though!). In my english class when I have to write essays, I get horrible writers block. And reading this post, you can probably guess what my writing skills are like lol. Maybe I just have low self esteem though, because my first english paper (which was a comparison/contrast essay) in my college english class I'm taking this semester, I got an A on :D. But obviously writing a college paper isn't the same as writing an article and getting paid for it.
-Never had a job, the only work I've done is a bit of volunteering in junior high and high school
-I don't have ANY MONEY, and my dad is retired and my mom (who's a housewife) and dads only income is from his social security retirement. We are in debt and can barely afford our current lifestyle, living pay check to pay check my dad says. This is another reason I'm trying to make money, because they can't support me for much longer (my dad is 65 and in poor health, we rely on him, and my mom is 60). I have less than $100 dollars in my checking account (no savings), for emergencies.
-Up until recently, my whole life I have sort of been living in a fantasy world, a world of escapism. TV when I was real young, and as I got older, videogames, especially RPGS, then online games, and now, I'm waking up to reality. Finally ready to face it head on...
-I read some personal development books/ebooks in high school, but they didn't do any tangible good for me. They gave me new ideas, but that was it. This is more a reflection of who I was at the time I think, then the actual merit of these books.
-Recently I spent 10 bucks for a domain name, got hosting, and now have a website. I'm trying affiliate marketing. Trying to get the website on the first page of google for people searching for my keywords. I don't know if it will work or not, but that's what I'm trying right now. I'm following the instructions from a couple ebooks this guy on Facebook gave me.
-Ok so I thought I was done, but I'll list some positive things: I have never done ANY drugs, I have never touched alcohol, I am smart, when I'm in a good mood I have a good sense of humor, I am smart enough to do well in school when I put in some effort..I can't really think of anything else right now.. but the most important thing is that I want to change my life.

I am saying all this, because I know my type of story is not uncommon in this screwed up culture. I hope that this will not only help me, but other young guys from my generation who are in my shoes. You won't see threads like mine too often (where I'm being totally honest about my screwed up life), because it's hard for us to put ourselves out there and be completely humble, and ask for help. I hope this thread shows these people, that no matter how alone you think you are, you aren't really. Are you?

But my desire is that strong, I'm looking for answers, and I won't rest until I FIGURE THIS DAMN THING OUT!!!

Suggestions anyone..? :D

What kind of work would be best for me? I've tried to explain where I'm coming from as best as I could, but you probably still have questions about my abilities. Just ask, I want to help you help ME :D.
Last edited by GenYguy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am
Location: USA







Postby zboy1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am

Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.

If I were you, I would at least try to get an Associates degree and a online TESOL certificate before trying to come to Asia to teach English. And, remember, it's not an easy job to do--and it is something that not everyone is going to be good at! Even for someone as academically qualified like me--I'm having some difficulties on the job, at times.

The job is not as easy as people make it out to be, and it needs to be taken seriously as a profession, especially coming from the parents and administrators of the schools you will be teaching in, who regard English as a serious endeavor for their children, or by the adults who want to learn English to get ahead in their professions.
Last edited by zboy1 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Taco » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:37 am

zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.



I disagree. China will roll out the red carpet for you if you have a fake degree. There's so many ESL jobs in China its impossible to fill them all with all the sexually frustrated white women that only last a few months teaching.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby zboy1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:41 am

Taco wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.



I disagree. China will roll out the red carpet for you if you have a fake degree. There's so many ESL jobs in China its impossible to fill them all with all the sexually frustrated white women that only last a few months teaching.


Yeah, but China is starting to crackdown on illegal degrees, as Magnum has mentioned in his posts. I've also seen it in with my own Visa processing, in that the Chinese embassy telling me that if I didn't have my TESOL certificate, I probably would've been turned down for my Work Visa.

Also, last week I got my residency permit rolling on my passport, and the immigration officials seemed very strict and suspicious of everyone in the building. One of my company managers told me that China is starting to become very strict in regards to immigration policy and issuing work Visas and long-term residencies for immigrants and foreigners here in China...

And it's not just China, either. South Korea keeps getting more restrictive, same with Taiwan and Japan. I'm not sure about Thailand, though.
Last edited by zboy1 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby GenYguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 am

zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.

If I were you, I would at least try to get an Associates degree and a online TESOL certificate before trying to come to Asia to teach English. And, remember, it's not an easy job to do--and it is something that not everyone is going to be good at! Even for someone as academically qualified like me--I'm having some difficulties on the job, at times.

The job is not as easy as people make it out to be, and it needs to be taken seriously as a profession, especially coming from the parents and administrators of the schools you will be teaching in, who regard English as a serious endeavor for their children, or by the adults who want to learn English to get ahead in their professions.


Yeah I'm afraid of that (don't know if I'd be good at it).. I've never wanted to be a teacher. But I might if it's my only option. Get an associates degree and do whatever else I need to do. Just want to leave the US.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am
Location: USA

Postby Taco » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am

zboy1 wrote:
Taco wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.



I disagree. China will roll out the red carpet for you if you have a fake degree. There's so many ESL jobs in China its impossible to fill them all with all the sexually frustrated white women that only last a few months teaching.


Yeah, but China is starting to crackdown on illegal degrees, as Magnum has mentioned in his posts. I've also seen it in with my own Visa processing, in that the Chinese embassy telling me that if I didn't have my TESOL certificate, I probably would've been turned down for my Work Visa.

Also, last week I got my residency permit rolling on my passport, and the immigration officials seemed very strict and suspicious of everyone in the building. One of my company managers told me that China is starting to become very strict in regards to immigration policy and issuing work Visas and long-term residencies for immigrants and foreigners here in China...

And it's not just China, either. South Korea keeps getting more restrictive, same with Taiwan and Japan. I'm not sure about Thailand, though.


Its true that some provinces in China are more restrictive in their criteria but if you go through a recruiter they will find a job for you, don't worry. The Chinese ESL schools will just pay off some politician to get the teachers in the door, that's how business is done. There's 6,700 jobs on this one website and they'll never get filled.

Angelina's Job Placement Agency
http://www.anesl.com/schools/index.asp
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby Voice of Reason » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am

You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am
Location: Out of the West

Postby GenYguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:33 am

Voice of Reason wrote:You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.


Thanks dude, I haven't watched TV in ages and I haven't played any video games for the last couple months (since that's when school started and I am NOT going to fail a third time).

True, I need to try to look at it positively. If my website fails then I will learn something.

Thanks for the links, I'll check em out.

What other sort of marketable skills can I learn on my own from the internet that will allow me to work from home anywhere?
GenYguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am
Location: USA

Postby mguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm in Manila, I see some American guys in their 20s in call centers. I know this dude who is hiring and he gives accomodation. PM.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Can you tell the

Postby buddy77 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:00 pm

@mguy

Rest of us, what is a call center and do they do exactly?
buddy77
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:23 pm
Location: California

Postby gsjackson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:47 pm

You write better than the majority of students at two elite universities whose papers I graded. You'll figure out how to earn a living if you focus on it. If you're going the self-employment route, you may have to pick yourself back up a few times after missteps.

In the meantime, you owe your parents -- big time. Start figuring out how you can repay the debt in some way, whether they ask for it or not. Be a help to them. You've got plenty of time in the future to go overseas and chase easy women, though I do remember well what a plague 20-year-old hormones can be.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

Postby zacb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.


This. Ever since I got out of the "game" maze, I have become more focused on improving myself. Now I read (when I am not in college) like a scholar. If you still like games, learn Java, then Android. That is the path I am taking, and hope to eventually make games and apps. Go for it man!
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby Ghost » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 pm

If I was back at that age and free, I would go the online route and do that as much as possible. Even if you're working 40, 50, 60 hours a week, sure beats working for someone else's benefit (while getting a paltry paycheck in return.) And by the time you're my age (26), you could move there permanently and find a nice little Filipina and stay with her, enjoying a fairly safe, stable, secure life that is - most importantly - happy. If only I had known then what I know now...that's what I would've done. I'm 26, have a bachelor's degree, have work experience, and am currently living and teaching in China. And I'll be taking my first trip to the Philippines in a month. I wish I had applied myself before and done it so much sooner.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby GenYguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 pm

gsjackson wrote:You write better than the majority of students at two elite universities whose papers I graded. You'll figure out how to earn a living if you focus on it. If you're going the self-employment route, you may have to pick yourself back up a few times after missteps.

In the meantime, you owe your parents -- big time. Start figuring out how you can repay the debt in some way, whether they ask for it or not. Be a help to them. You've got plenty of time in the future to go overseas and chase easy women, though I do remember well what a plague 20-year-old hormones can be.


Thanks...

I know, I want to repay my parents. But I'm also 20 years old, I want to move out already. I know it's selfish, but I can't turn off those hormones that make me want to go out and chase women haha. As soon as I'm able, I want to move out and go live on my own for a while in the Philippines. I will also save some money, and eventually pay my parents back the money they have saved up for my schooling. They don't expect me to, but you and I both know it's the right thing to do. :)
GenYguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am
Location: USA

Postby GenYguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Ghost wrote:If I was back at that age and free, I would go the online route and do that as much as possible. Even if you're working 40, 50, 60 hours a week, sure beats working for someone else's benefit (while getting a paltry paycheck in return.) And by the time you're my age (26), you could move there permanently and find a nice little Filipina and stay with her, enjoying a fairly safe, stable, secure life that is - most importantly - happy. If only I had known then what I know now...that's what I would've done. I'm 26, have a bachelor's degree, have work experience, and am currently living and teaching in China. And I'll be taking my first trip to the Philippines in a month. I wish I had applied myself before and done it so much sooner.


Yeah, I've never liked the idea of working for someone elses benefit either. I'd rather build MYSELF up than build up some other guys presence, and I don't like being totally disposable. Though I know to work for myself, I need certain skills and attitudes. This forum is great for finding like minded people. :)

So that's another reason I've never had or wanted a traditional job. You're only 26, we're both still young :).
GenYguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am
Location: USA

Next

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests