Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Post by GenYguy »

Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to delete all my posts on this thread. I shared a lot of the advice of my mentor publicly in this thread, and he would have preferred I did not do this. Out of respect for him, that is why this thread is now officially dead. Maybe soon I will make another thread of my OWN experiences and lessons. I made freelance writing work for me. I've been doing it for over 3 years now (it's Feb 2017 now and my original post was on October 1 2013) and have been living in the Philippines most of those 3 years.

My story was about starting from practically nothing, to living the same kind of dream that I and many others on this forum have (working online and living abroad), and some of us are actually living the dream. After I read all of my own posts over 3 years later, I can't believe how far I've come.
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.

If I were you, I would at least try to get an Associates degree and a online TESOL certificate before trying to come to Asia to teach English. And, remember, it's not an easy job to do--and it is something that not everyone is going to be good at! Even for someone as academically qualified like me--I'm having some difficulties on the job, at times.

The job is not as easy as people make it out to be, and it needs to be taken seriously as a profession, especially coming from the parents and administrators of the schools you will be teaching in, who regard English as a serious endeavor for their children, or by the adults who want to learn English to get ahead in their professions.
Last edited by zboy1 on October 1st, 2013, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.
I disagree. China will roll out the red carpet for you if you have a fake degree. There's so many ESL jobs in China its impossible to fill them all with all the sexually frustrated white women that only last a few months teaching.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Taco wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Forget about teaching in Asia now that most countries there are starting to crack-down on fraudulent degrees. You need to have at least a bachelors degree and a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate in most countries in Asia, now...that is, if you want work legally. Of course, you could try to do what Magnum is doing and obtain get a fake degree, or work illegally, but there's always a risk in doing that and getting caught.
I disagree. China will roll out the red carpet for you if you have a fake degree. There's so many ESL jobs in China its impossible to fill them all with all the sexually frustrated white women that only last a few months teaching.
Yeah, but China is starting to crackdown on illegal degrees, as Magnum has mentioned in his posts. I've also seen it in with my own Visa processing, in that the Chinese embassy telling me that if I didn't have my TESOL certificate, I probably would've been turned down for my Work Visa.

Also, last week I got my residency permit rolling on my passport, and the immigration officials seemed very strict and suspicious of everyone in the building. One of my company managers told me that China is starting to become very strict in regards to immigration policy and issuing work Visas and long-term residencies for immigrants and foreigners here in China...

And it's not just China, either. South Korea keeps getting more restrictive, same with Taiwan and Japan. I'm not sure about Thailand, though.
Last edited by zboy1 on October 1st, 2013, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

zboy1 wrote:
Taco wrote:
Yeah, but China is starting to crackdown on illegal degrees, as Magnum has mentioned in his posts. I've also seen it in with my own Visa processing, in that the Chinese embassy telling me that if I didn't have my TESOL certificate, I probably would've been turned down for my Work Visa.

Also, last week I got my residency permit rolling on my passport, and the immigration officials seemed very strict and suspicious of everyone in the building. One of my company managers told me that China is starting to become very strict in regards to immigration policy and issuing work Visas and long-term residencies for immigrants and foreigners here in China...

And it's not just China, either. South Korea keeps getting more restrictive, same with Taiwan and Japan. I'm not sure about Thailand, though.
Its true that some provinces in China are more restrictive in their criteria but if you go through a recruiter they will find a job for you, don't worry. The Chinese ESL schools will just pay off some politician to get the teachers in the door, that's how business is done. There's 6,700 jobs on this one website and they'll never get filled.

Angelina's Job Placement Agency
http://www.anesl.com/schools/index.asp
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I'm in Manila, I see some American guys in their 20s in call centers. I know this dude who is hiring and he gives accomodation. PM.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

buddy77
Freshman Poster

Can you tell the

Post by buddy77 »

@mguy

Rest of us, what is a call center and do they do exactly?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

You write better than the majority of students at two elite universities whose papers I graded. You'll figure out how to earn a living if you focus on it. If you're going the self-employment route, you may have to pick yourself back up a few times after missteps.

In the meantime, you owe your parents -- big time. Start figuring out how you can repay the debt in some way, whether they ask for it or not. Be a help to them. You've got plenty of time in the future to go overseas and chase easy women, though I do remember well what a plague 20-year-old hormones can be.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Voice of Reason wrote:You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.
This. Ever since I got out of the "game" maze, I have become more focused on improving myself. Now I read (when I am not in college) like a scholar. If you still like games, learn Java, then Android. That is the path I am taking, and hope to eventually make games and apps. Go for it man!
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433