Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Odesk Profile

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 am

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
GenYguy wrote:So I'm learning that setting up a profile on Odesk is not like creating a Facebook Profile lol. I have to find a way to sell myself.. this is the Odesk guidelines for setting up a profile, which I am reading now:
https://d1u2uhea8ugy8e.cloudfront.net/o ... l_2013.pdf

I have no idea how to sell myself, help forumers! For my "title" I am just going to put that I'm a college student. I have nothing else positive to identify myself with.. since I have no experience or skills...

For the overview of myself, I have no idea what to put? I've never applied to a job before?

Honestly, unless you are prepared to work your a** off, I don't know that I would bother with Odesk or Elance. I know some will disagree with me but...I've written for magazines and newspapers and for the most part, Odesk and Elance are not worth the trouble. I think there might be one or two guys on the forum who write for them regularly so they might be able to give you some specifics, but...personally, I think you'd be better off trying to break in writing for magazines if you want to do so. Generally, you don't write for the money. You write because you feel the need to write or the desire to express yourself. Writing is like any other art, you do it for the love and if you have the talent, you might get paid. Even if you do get paid, you are going to need/want to break out of the $10-$50 per article range. It's a real grind to make a living writing for this much.

I'm prepared man. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to make $800-$1000 month to get my ass to the Philippines and stay there. I enjoy writing and expressing myself, like on this forum. I need to get paid somehow. They say do what you love...

Is it harder to break into writing for magazines then it is to find work from small businesses or bloggers on Odesk or Elance? I have never been a magazine reader, I've never been subscribed to a magazine. Whenever I want information, I just go online. I have never needed or wanted a mag subscription, even online ones since I guess those exist too.. all the information I've ever wanted I've found for free online.

I know it may not be much to you, but $10-$50 for writing an article sounds like a dream to me right now...

Here is my profile so far:

Title: College Student

Overview:

I am going to be totally up front and honest. I have no job experience YET, I am not specialized in anything YET, but I'm still young (20 yrs/old) and everyone has to start somewhere. I'm starting here on Odesk, I will do any work that I can get. I have an entrepreneurial spirit. I love learning new things. Give me a job to do, and I WILL figure it out.

I was a straight-A student throughout school. I have a lot of free time to work. I have been told that I have good writing skills, and I have the grades to show for it. I did a lot of volunteering while going to junior high and high school, so I love helping people for little to nothing in return. I am very familiar with the internet, since that's where I spend most of my time now, along with studying. I know a bit about SEO and creating websites, since I've created a couple websites. I am working on one of these websites now, on the side.

I want Odesk to be my major focus next to school, and if Odesk goes well for me, then I will work on Odesk full time. I want to meet wonderful contractors to work long term with! I hope to find what my passions are that way, if I enjoy our work together then I will naturally continue in that direction, so you can count on my loyalty.

Thank you for reading. :)

That's it so far. That's the best I can come up with at the moment. More updates will come soon...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:43 am

GenYguy wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
GenYguy wrote: What is ZOG?

Zionist Occupational Government.

And what's that..? Conspiracy theory..?

Google it.

YouTube it.

Or just watch a talk show on Fox News Channel or CNN, and count how many Jews there are. Usually on BOTH SIDES.

No theory.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:39 am

http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

http://kevincoleseo.com/

I really like this idea. I like SEO, and I like writing SEO style. I found that out after I wrote a couple short articles on my website. My site got indexed on Google in two days after my first post, and my first post appeared on the third page of google for main keyword of my site. It was too broad a keyword though I think, and now it's not on the third page anymore after my second post...

What do you guys think of that article I linked? I might be able to do it too. I just need to pick at least 5 areas to write articles about, and at least 5 damn good sample articles.

That's all this guy did. Then he sent out TONS of emails, got work with a few outfits, and he was pretty much set. He tells the whole story, and how to do what he did.

The problem with Odesk seems to be that I don't have any work experience.. lol. Doing what this guy Kevin Cole did, seems like a good idea to me. He got experience that he could put on his Odesk profile if he had one. I don't think I'll get work from Odesk right now :(.

So I think that's what I'll do, write 5 articles, make another website similar to Kevin Cole's, and send out lots of emails! Get some work that way hopefully...

In the words of Kevin Cole, who made $3000 his first two months doing this:

"SEO writing has an unbelievably low barrier to entry. If you’re looking to cross the threshold into entrepreneurship but can’t figure out where to start this is your answer."

Unless anyone knows how someone like me could get a gig on Odesk or Elance?? I think I should get some experience first. I saw how many people are looking for work on that site, and someone like me stands no chance there...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:11 am

GenYguy wrote:
Ghost wrote:If I was back at that age and free, I would go the online route and do that as much as possible. Even if you're working 40, 50, 60 hours a week, sure beats working for someone else's benefit (while getting a paltry paycheck in return.) And by the time you're my age (26), you could move there permanently and find a nice little Filipina and stay with her, enjoying a fairly safe, stable, secure life that is - most importantly - happy. If only I had known then what I know now...that's what I would've done. I'm 26, have a bachelor's degree, have work experience, and am currently living and teaching in China. And I'll be taking my first trip to the Philippines in a month. I wish I had applied myself before and done it so much sooner.

Yeah, I've never liked the idea of working for someone elses benefit either. I'd rather build MYSELF up than build up some other guys presence, and I don't like being totally disposable. Though I know to work for myself, I need certain skills and attitudes. This forum is great for finding like minded people. :)

So that's another reason I've never had or wanted a traditional job. You're only 26, we're both still young :).

Get skills, build skills, make yourself valuable in some way. Once you do this, the rest will fall into place. Until you have something to provide of value, don't go anywhere.

Come on. He has skills. He knows English. That's a skill he can always use. If you network with other expats, they will point you to an English school that you can apply at.

Also, there are cases where people with no money and no skills find a way to make a living somewhere, even in the US. Sometimes, God, the universe, or guardian angels will help someone carry out a destiny they were meant to carry out. You can't rule that out. It does happen in some cases. Try to broaden your mind. Logic can't predict everything. Some people do defy the odds.
Last edited by Winston on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 am

Winston wrote:
GenYguy wrote:
Ghost wrote:If I was back at that age and free, I would go the online route and do that as much as possible. Even if you're working 40, 50, 60 hours a week, sure beats working for someone else's benefit (while getting a paltry paycheck in return.) And by the time you're my age (26), you could move there permanently and find a nice little Filipina and stay with her, enjoying a fairly safe, stable, secure life that is - most importantly - happy. If only I had known then what I know now...that's what I would've done. I'm 26, have a bachelor's degree, have work experience, and am currently living and teaching in China. And I'll be taking my first trip to the Philippines in a month. I wish I had applied myself before and done it so much sooner.

Yeah, I've never liked the idea of working for someone elses benefit either. I'd rather build MYSELF up than build up some other guys presence, and I don't like being totally disposable. Though I know to work for myself, I need certain skills and attitudes. This forum is great for finding like minded people. :)

So that's another reason I've never had or wanted a traditional job. You're only 26, we're both still young :).

Get skills, build skills, make yourself valuable in some way. Once you do this, the rest will fall into place. Until you have something to provide of value, don't go anywhere.

Come on. He has skills. He knows English. That's a skill he can always use. If you network with other expats, they will point you to an English school that you can apply at.

Also, there are cases where people with no money and no skills find a way to make a living somewhere, even in the US. Sometimes, God, the universe, or guardian angels will help someone carry out a destiny they were meant to carry out. You can't rule that out. It does happen in some cases. Try to broaden your mind. Logic can't predict everything. Some people do defy the odds.

Thanks for chiming in Winston, so what do you think I should do..? There are so many options out there, but I don't have enough experience to know what's right for me yet. I just gotta try something right? I think I'll try SEO writing. Like I said earlier, I don't think I'd make a good English teacher, because I'm afraid my APD might make it difficult (I was never diagnosed APD, but I suspect I have it since when I was younger I suffered constantly from horrible ear infections), but I'm not sure...My hearing is fine, but sometimes my brain interprets speech differently, like Wikipedia said "dyslexia for ears". I don't think it's real serious, but it could be a limiting factor for me.

If I am successful at SEO writing, I can create a profile on Odesk and put my experience from that on there. I can't start there now though, because I don't have experience in any of the categories to choose from on Odesk.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Digit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:58 am

GenYguy wrote:So I'm learning that setting up a profile on Odesk is not like creating a Facebook Profile lol. I have to find a way to sell myself.. this is the Odesk guidelines for setting up a profile, which I am reading now:

I have no idea how to sell myself, help forumers! For my "title" I am just going to put that I'm a college student. I have nothing else positive to identify myself with.. since I have no experience or skills...

For the overview of myself, I have no idea what to put? I've never applied to a job before?

Honestly, unless you are prepared to work your a** off, I don't know that I would bother with Odesk or Elance. I know some will disagree with me but...I've written for magazines and newspapers and for the most part, Odesk and Elance are not worth the trouble. I think there might be one or two guys on the forum who write for them regularly so they might be able to give you some specifics, but...personally, I think you'd be better off trying to break in writing for magazines if you want to do so. Generally, you don't write for the money. You write because you feel the need to write or the desire to express yourself. Writing is like any other art, you do it for the love and if you have the talent, you might get paid. Even if you do get paid, you are going to need/want to break out of the $10-$50 per article range. It's a real grind to make a living writing for this much.

Basically I agree with you, in the long run you want to break into writing for real businesses or magazines.
But odesk/elance and the like are a great starting point. Yes most clients there are crap but there are some great ones to be found as well. You just have to sift through all the lowpaying guys.

Breaking into business writing / magazines is NOT easy, you need a portfolio, you need to do the leg work and find the proper persons to contact and then you need to come up wtih some pitches for articles, do cold-calling and whatnot.

With freelance sites you can start from nothing, get some low-paying gigs and work your way up. It doesn't take much time to write out 5-10 applications a day on these sites, but it takes a lot more time to to find out whos in charge for marketing, find an angle to approach them, write personalized emails or pitch them on the phone...
There is more money in this game but its a lot more work too and there are people doing just fine living off freelance jobboards.

@GenYguy its really important that you start doing something ASAP. Doing anything is better than doing nothing. Even if it doesn't work you end up collecting valuable data and getting clother to your goal. In my experience you can MAKE most things work if you just stick with them and course-correct on the way.

If you already have a website you can take those texts into a word file and use them as your first portfolio pieces.
Digit
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:06 am

Digit wrote:

Basically I agree with you, in the long run you want to break into writing for real businesses or magazines.
But odesk/elance and the like are a great starting point. Yes most clients there are crap but there are some great ones to be found as well. You just have to sift through all the lowpaying guys.

Breaking into business writing / magazines is NOT easy, you need a portfolio, you need to do the leg work and find the proper persons to contact and then you need to come up wtih some pitches for articles, do cold-calling and whatnot.

With freelance sites you can start from nothing, get some low-paying gigs and work your way up. It doesn't take much time to write out 5-10 applications a day on these sites, but it takes a lot more time to to find out whos in charge for marketing, find an angle to approach them, write personalized emails or pitch them on the phone...
There is more money in this game but its a lot more work too and there are people doing just fine living off freelance jobboards.

How do you get a gig on there if you don't have work experience in ANYTHING? All I've done that is applicable to any of the categories of work on there is that: I made two unsuccessful websites, and I read a bit about SEO. Would even the lowest paying guys hire me?
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 am

GenYguy wrote:
Winston wrote:Come on. He has skills. He knows English. That's a skill he can always use. If you network with other expats, they will point you to an English school that you can apply at.

Thanks for chiming in Winston, so what do you think I should do..? There are so many options out there, but I don't have enough experience to know what's right for me yet. I just gotta try something right? I think I'll try SEO writing. Like I said earlier, I don't think I'd make a good English teacher, because I'm afraid my APD might make it difficult (I was never diagnosed APD, but I suspect I have it since when I was younger I suffered constantly from horrible ear infections), but I'm not sure...My hearing is fine, but sometimes my brain interprets speech differently, like Wikipedia said "dyslexia for ears". I don't think it's real serious, but it could be a limiting factor for me.

If I am successful at SEO writing, I can create a profile on Odesk and put my experience from that on there. I can't start there now though, because I don't have experience in any of the categories to choose from on Odesk.

Your welcome. I can't tell you what to do. No one can. Only you know what's right for you and what your calling is. All we can do is present options for you.

Explore all the options and eventually one of them will feel right for you. You are still very young and have plenty of time. No rush. What is APD?

How about being a private English tutor? Our advisor Ladislav has posted a thread about how to teach English on Skype too. Have you seen it? He is offering a free ebook too.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=17274

Do you have writing skills? If so, there are freelance jobs for writers and editors.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Taco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:36 am

You can find a rich Filipina in Makati and be her sex slave. This is not a bad option if your feeling up to it, no pun intended. I know one Filipino guy that has this kind of arrangement. His girlfriends husband is dying in the hospital while he's banging her.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 am

Taco wrote:You can find a rich Filipina in Makati and be her sex slave. This is not a bad option if your feeling up to it, no pun intended. I know one Filipino guy that has this kind of arrangement. His girlfriends husband is dying in the hospital while he's banging her.

LOL don't think I haven't considered this option already :P. Seriously though, I probably could find a Filipina on DIA like that. I am good looking and young enough;every day on DIA some girls will say how gorgeous/cute/handsome I am...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

GenYguy wrote:

Would even the lowest paying guys hire me?

Yes.

At the low end your competition on O-desk is non-native speakers from India etc.

There is a forum specifically for this, btw.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Winston wrote:
GenYguy wrote:
Winston wrote:Come on. He has skills. He knows English. That's a skill he can always use. If you network with other expats, they will point you to an English school that you can apply at.

Your welcome. I can't tell you what to do. No one can. Only you know what's right for you and what your calling is. All we can do is present options for you.

Explore all the options and eventually one of them will feel right for you. You are still very young and have plenty of time. No rush. What is APD?

How about being a private English tutor? Our advisor Ladislav has posted a thread about how to teach English on Skype too. Have you seen it? He is offering a free ebook too.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=17274

Do you have writing skills? If so, there are freelance jobs for writers and editors.

APD is auditory processing disorder. Look it up on Wikipedia or look at my OP I wrote it there somewhere.

I don't know what my calling is. Whatever it is it hasn't called me loudly enough yet. I hear lots of whispers suggesting different things, but that's it. I like to know what all the best options are for someone like me who has no skills and very little life experiences, so I made this thread. Because without skills and an education I'm limited right from the get go. A degree is too expensive for me and I'd be stuck here in the US for way too long. I'd have to work here first to pay off the debt and save money for travel before I could travel anywhere, in addition to spending years in school living with my parents which I already hate... I'd rather obtain skills that can pay me sooner than later (because I'm not looking to make a lot of money, just like 800-1000 a month which is enough to live in the Philippines), but what skills? The internet is so huge, where should I start. Well, I can only go off of what I've tried in the past, which isn't much. My best lead right now is SEO writing, because like I said, I think I like writing articles and I like trying to "solve the puzzle" of how to get higher ranked on search engines like Google. I like the idea of being my own boss and offering my own service, that can't be taken away by anyone except Google haha.

What I liked most about that article I linked about Kevin Cole, is that his approach is duplicatable. I can perfectly visualize point A and point B. I can see it actually being a possibility for me. I just need to get busy, create a new site and write 5 articles. I have to go to school now, so I'll leave it here for now.

Oh and yeah I saw the ebook, I'll probably teach English one way or another, if nothing else works for me. Who knows, being an English tutor may actually be my calling.

More replies are appreciated guys, I'll still keep an open mind to any suggestions.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Jester wrote:
GenYguy wrote:

Would even the lowest paying guys hire me?

Yes.

At the low end your competition on O-desk is non-native speakers from India etc.

There is a forum specifically for this, btw.

Yeah, but besides speaking terrible English I bet they have more technical skills than I do :P.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 am

From an email I just received:

"Dear New Fund Your Life Overseas Reader,

What if you had a flexible income that could fund your life abroad? You'd gain the freedom to live where you want, be your own boss, travel when the urge strikes.

You could pocket $10,000... $20,000... even $100,000 a year from the beach... a big city... a mountain hideaway... anywhere you want to be...

Well I have good news: That day could be a lot sooner than you probably think.

You see, in our very global world today... you have many more income options than you may realize. It's just that from your vantage point at home... it can be hard to spot them.

After all, the news we hear from around the world is hopelessly one-sided. Reporters don't go around pointing out amazing opportunities for entrepreneurs. They spot tragedy, instead. It's no wonder so many folks feel trapped at home.

But you shouldn't. Because the truth of the matter is: There are lots of ways you can embrace the flexibility of an income that'll go with you anywhere in the world you want to be.

So if you want to go rent a place in Paris a few weeks or months a year... or if you want to live at the beach in Panama, you can.

And you could get paid...

Only instead of being lashed to a cubicle and answerable to a boss... you'd keep control of your own income and your schedule.

And I'm not just talking about "portable" careers here.

I'm talking about ways and places you could embrace opportunity on the ground in all kinds of communities. Could be anything from a big-city bagel shop to a country B&B or a coffee house, an art gallery, a book store...

If you like the idea of getting paid to live somewhere you love and earn doing something you really enjoy, then you'll like this new project we've just launched.

https://secure.internationalliving.com/ ... 8&r=MC&g=0

Sincerely,
Jackie

Jackie Flynn
Publisher, International Living"
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby GenYguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:16 am

Hero wrote:From an email I just received:

"Dear New Fund Your Life Overseas Reader,

What if you had a flexible income that could fund your life abroad? You'd gain the freedom to live where you want, be your own boss, travel when the urge strikes.

You could pocket $10,000... $20,000... even $100,000 a year from the beach... a big city... a mountain hideaway... anywhere you want to be...

Well I have good news: That day could be a lot sooner than you probably think.

You see, in our very global world today... you have many more income options than you may realize. It's just that from your vantage point at home... it can be hard to spot them.

After all, the news we hear from around the world is hopelessly one-sided. Reporters don't go around pointing out amazing opportunities for entrepreneurs. They spot tragedy, instead. It's no wonder so many folks feel trapped at home.

But you shouldn't. Because the truth of the matter is: There are lots of ways you can embrace the flexibility of an income that'll go with you anywhere in the world you want to be.

So if you want to go rent a place in Paris a few weeks or months a year... or if you want to live at the beach in Panama, you can.

And you could get paid...

Only instead of being lashed to a cubicle and answerable to a boss... you'd keep control of your own income and your schedule.

And I'm not just talking about "portable" careers here.

I'm talking about ways and places you could embrace opportunity on the ground in all kinds of communities. Could be anything from a big-city bagel shop to a country B&B or a coffee house, an art gallery, a book store...

If you like the idea of getting paid to live somewhere you love and earn doing something you really enjoy, then you'll like this new project we've just launched.

https://secure.internationalliving.com/ ... 8&r=MC&g=0

Sincerely,
Jackie

Jackie Flynn
Publisher, International Living"

I read stuff like this all the time, it's full of promises, but the reality is that this stuff rarely delivers on its promises. Free information that's useful is for the win, not these false promises that lead to sales pitches. Kevin Cole gives his first hand account of how he did it in two months, how much he made ($3000, which is reasonable, about $1500/mo average which I can believe) and the exact steps he took, down to the very email templates he used. And the proof of his method was in his website.

I am going to take a harder perspective. I'm going to try a tested and tried method, no use acting on hairy ideas when I need to make money quickly. I have to be dogged and aggressive. I'm going to create my own KevinColeSEO.com, I'm going to give SEO writing a good try. I will email a hundred and fifty companies until I get work like Kevin did. Writing articles is like writing essays: http://voices.yahoo.com/write-500-word- ... html?cat=7, and even though I underestimate my abilities in that department, my grades have always said that I'm a good writer;English was my best subject in school. Hell, my mom is going to be a published author someday, I know it. She's already written a REAL historical novel, she's just editing it now. It's in my blood..I have to start NOW. My parents gave me the ultimatum today, if I don't keep going to school, then if I want to stay at home, I'll have to start paying rent. I'm running a race now. It's serious now. I have to make this work like Kevin did, or I resign myself to another semester here at home with my parents, or job hunting here in my city (dead end jobs, want to avoid). School is better than working a dead end job at a fast food joint, so I will have to take another semester if I can't pay rent (which I will do someday on my own anyway, since I do want to get a degree. Who says you have to continuously go to college? Like I said, I need a break to find myself). My folks are old fashioned, they believe all forms of making money online are scams. So that's why I won't be able to do SEO writing or any other online work while living with my parents, unless I have something to show for it. Which is fair, but I have to hurry now..!

I want to inspire all you guys out there, I can do this! If I can get work on my own, charging my own rates (Kevin Cole's standard rate is $20/per 350-500 word article), I won't get taken advantage of by lousy clients on Odesk paying peanuts. You're right Winston, I'm worth more than that. I've got some valuable skills... some of which are untapped.

If I start working for myself, then maybe I'll move on to Odesk to find higher paying Clients who would hirer me after I have some SEO writing experience under my belt.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad