Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

It's Coming Together

Postby GenYguy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 am

Starting from nothing, I am now making money in the hundreds of dollars.. If I was living in the Philippines now I could be supporting myself from SEO writing. It's unbelievable how relatively quickly this happened. Anyone that's on the fence, just do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it. Anyone that can write comprehensible sentences and is somewhat familiar with basic essay style writing that is; I found this on Ezine which is going to help me a lot in the future http://blog.ezinearticles.com/2012/09/t ... lates.html The SEO part is easier now since the Google updates. Just ask for the keywords and try to incorporate each one in an article 1-2 times (similar but different keywords are good for seo), but no more than 1 time each for every 100 words, so a max of 3-4 times you can use the same keyword. This is what I've found doing a little research, but I could be wrong. In any case, this seems to work very well with my style of writing and my articles flow very naturally; I have received many compliments on my articles about how well written and researched they are.

My biggest breakthrough was when I started hustling. I got lots of replies from my emails, but they left me dead in the water. After consulting with Kevin Cole (he's been helping me through Skype for free) I changed my rates to the rates he's charging now. He's doing more bulk purchases since now he's outsourcing a lot of his articles, and I decided to follow suit with the bulk purchases idea. Boy am I glad I did. Now I'm making the big bucks from just a few clients. Once I make 2 grand I will start outsourcing some articles like Kevin is doing. Anyway, I hustled and sent more emails to the people who originally replied back. Paraphrasing, I basically said that I remembered what they were looking for and now I have more time for writing so I changed my rates to include bulk orders and would you like to try it for your xyz?

These are my rates for bulk orders, same as Kevin Cole's.

Individual SEO articles: $30 (350-500 words)

Bulk Orders (10+ per month): $25 (350-500 words)

Bulk Orders (25+ per month): $20 (350-500 words)

All my rates are negotiable.

^^The keyword there is NEGOTIABLE. These kind of rates open up negotiations. I negotiated with my first client and settled on my original price of $20 per article even though he ordered only 12 articles recently (which I would normally do $25 each in that case). He explained though that he only had 4 clients at the moment that needed 3 articles each, and he had already told me that he only had a few clients before I changed my rates so I know this guy probably isn't holding anything back. Even if he is.. I need as much work as I can get right now lol. I will still be making the money I would have been making with my old rates so I'm happy. I had written a few articles for this guy got paid then got radio static for an entire week.... changing my rates opened up dialogue again and made him want MORE. HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE!!

Someone said that $20 is not spectacular for an individual article, well it sure beats minimum wage and besides that there are people on Odesk and Fiver and other sites charging 5 bucks for the same length articles. Kevin told me to avoid Odesk and the likes, and I'm glad I have. I'm already making big money without having to build up a profile of any kind. Just go right to the source guys. After you get some experience, then maybe go on Odesk when you've already got business and are looking for more. The way Kevin put it people on Odesk and those kinds of sites are basically his bitches, lol. That's probably where he's getting his outsourcing from. :)

My new new goal is to make $5000 before flying to the Philippines, and I'm shooting for it to be in 2 months. I joined a group on Facebook for expats in the Philippines and someone recommended to have 4 grand on hand for emergencies and what not.. And the other thousand will be for the flight and a little extra for living expenses.

Anyone else that is trying SEO writing right now, chime in whenever you like! Share your experiences. This isn't just my thread...
Last edited by GenYguy on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 am

Many months ago I claimed I was done with this board, but this is exactly the kind of thread HA needs. I remember seeing recently thread where someone was parroting the usual, you need $40K saved up and have some property to rent out before you head abroad. They spoke of how foolish it would be to have a couple grand in your pocket and just do it. Well, that's exactly what I did. I am still here, abroad, over five years later, living a great life.

I was inspired by someone who sold all they owned, had $2K in their pocket and took off to the Phils. I did the same thing, but with only $1400 after buying a laptop. I started out doing exactly what GenYguy is doing. Writing for $30 per article may sound cheap, and it is if you have written for magazines making $500 per article before, but if you write 1-2 cheap articles per day you are making more than enough to live great in the Phils. That's how I started, writing cheap articles by day and partying it up by night.

GenYguy made it clear. If he can do it, anyone can do it. If you really want to get out, first you need to get out of the Matrix! All this talk about jobs skills, college, marketability etc. is fine if you want to stay in the US and work for the man until you're old. If you really want to get out, try something different. I knew a guy making money with a website about CEMENT. The net is vast and infinite.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Re: It's Coming Together

Postby navigator » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:09 pm

GenYguy wrote:Starting from nothing, I am now making money in the hundreds of dollars.. If I was living in the Philippines now I could be supporting myself from SEO writing. It's unbelievable how relatively quickly this happened. Anyone that's on the fence, just do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good work. Your story is very inspiring. You are obviously very driven and determined to put in the necessary work to make things happen. What makes this thread especially interesting is that readers can follow your progress from the very beginning. A lot of readers, myself included, can relate to your situation when you first created this thread. They can see how much progress you've made and might be inspired to give a try themselves.

Although I will be taking a different path overseas, I am also keeping a record of my progress in my blog (which I will make public a few months after living overseas). Readers could then see how far I've come and hopefully will be inspired.

Good luck with your endeavor!
navigator
Freshman Poster

Postby Billy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:54 pm

i am from germany so writing articles in english will not work for me though it´s quite interesting that there is a market for that. i heard it a lot on the web. i will try to find out how that works. anyway inspirating stuff.
Billy
Experienced Poster

20 yr old

Postby targetguy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:20 pm

8) If I were 20 again and could pass the military exams I would go coast guard or request a place in asia to be stationed. that way you would learn a skill college paid for and live in asia. Trying to make it without any skills or source of income is all but impossible that is why people are going to the usa still. Many driving type jobs that pay ok also if the military isn't for you. Take a look at the difference in salary in usa and asia and there will be no guess work as to why people will do anything to go here not there. People in Europe or japan may not because they maike a comparable salary. If there were any way to immigrate to austrailia that country has great salarys also.
no scammers
targetguy
Freshman Poster

Re: 20 yr old

Postby Cornfed » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:31 pm

targetguy wrote: If there were any way to immigrate to austrailia that country has great salarys also.

Salaries are falling in Australia. The average man hasn't yet been screwed over as much as his counterparts in other Western dystopias, but it is surely coming. Also, much of your earnings would go on rent, as the property market is deliberately propped up and overvalued.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Formula For Writing A 400 Word Article Fast

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:39 am

Another helpful article I found today mentioned by someone on the Warrior Forum http://www.warriorforum.com/main-intern ... -fast.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Formula-For-W ... id=1198263
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Using the 400 word formula with the summaries tool

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 am

Summary tool http://smmry.com/
It's genius! Lists format makes writing articles easy. Just find any article, split it up into different points, you can include them in your title, ex "4 ways to... 5 steps to... 7 kinds of... 3 methods..." etc. The best part about organizing 400-500 word articles this way is you can follow the 400 word formula of 3 introduction sentences and approximately 14 sentences for your list which will be about 400 words leaving room for a conclusion. My new favorite method is using the summaries tool to summarize each longer bullet point in another article. The second most important part, specifying the most relevant keyword in that bullet point with the summary tool. For example, if an article has 4 bullet points that you want to get across in 16 sentences with 4 sentences for each bullet point, then you want to get each point across as shortly and succinctly as possible. That is the hard part, but with the summary tool and it's keyword targeting function, it can easily be done. Without the right keyword being focused on in that bullet point, the resulting summary might not make any sense. For example, if one of your points is about common problems with something, then you want to target the keyword "problem" within that articles bullet point about the common problems. The summary tool will find the most relevant sentences that contain "problem" and will place them in order of importance in the sentence amount of your choosing. Then all you have to do is rewrite these key sentences using your own diction. :) Connect these key sentences together and you've just compressed already useful information into a new part of your article. Do that for each part (intro, bullet points, conclusion) and you will have your article!

This has got to be the fastest way to write clear and concise 400-500 word articles from the readers perspective. I've noticed that often times with original content people write in a way that isn't understandable a lot of the time to the lay person, and that's the advantage of a good rewriter. When I rewrite articles I do it from the readers perspective, a reader who knows nothing about the subject - that's me! (which is also your target audience with shorter articles because people read shorter articles to get something from them and quickly learn something new, longer articles are usually more technical and require more focused attention which is easier when the audience is already very familiar with the topic being discussed)

So yeah, don't feel like you're stealing content. To sum it up, you're fixing the author's diction for short article readers who are unfamiliar with a topic and doing them a service by trimming the unecessary fat from the intro, main points, and conclusion. :D This is how you write expert quality articles that are are helpful to EVERYBODY, newbies and even non newbies can get something out of it because you've taken the most important information from another quality article and made it your own article. When you do this your content will come across as original anyway. :)

I've experienced the truth in what Kevin Cole said: when you're an SEO writer, if you want work, you have to write about everything, heads up lol. You have to take longer more detailed explanations and trim it down to suit your needs. Don't know anything about wearing braces, fixing broken heaters, or how to choose the right lawyer for your family court case? No probs, the information is out there already. You just have to know how to use it...

What I love most about SEO writing is learning so many new things.. and getting paid for it! It feels good helping people who are in the same position I was in just before writing about the topic. ;)

Forgot to add, you can up the amount of sentences for a bullet point if need be, the tool makes it easy. If one sentence doesn't fit with the main bullet point keyword (but is still relevant/useful info) and needs more support from other sentences for example.
Last edited by GenYguy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:34 am

Hey, you're not actually trying to earn money by writing the particular posts you are posting here, are you? You're just trying to help us out, right?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 am

Cornfed wrote:Hey, you're not actually trying to earn money by writing the particular posts you are posting here, are you? You're just trying to help us out, right?

I'm doing this to help you guys out, and to organize my own thoughts here so I can use this thread as a reference if I ever get stuck. :D
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am

The_Adventurer wrote:Many months ago I claimed I was done with this board, but this is exactly the kind of thread HA needs. I remember seeing recently thread where someone was parroting the usual, you need $40K saved up and have some property to rent out before you head abroad. They spoke of how foolish it would be to have a couple grand in your pocket and just do it. Well, that's exactly what I did. I am still here, abroad, over five years later, living a great life.

I was inspired by someone who sold all they owned, had $2K in their pocket and took off to the Phils. I did the same thing, but with only $1400 after buying a laptop. I started out doing exactly what GenYguy is doing. Writing for $30 per article may sound cheap, and it is if you have written for magazines making $500 per article before, but if you write 1-2 cheap articles per day you are making more than enough to live great in the Phils. That's how I started, writing cheap articles by day and partying it up by night.

GenYguy made it clear. If he can do it, anyone can do it. If you really want to get out, first you need to get out of the Matrix! All this talk about jobs skills, college, marketability etc. is fine if you want to stay in the US and work for the man until you're old. If you really want to get out, try something different. I knew a guy making money with a website about CEMENT. The net is vast and infinite.

I found another guy with a blog. He was working for UPS and had all the trappings that young men have (large flat screen, all the game systems, toys, went out every weekday/weekend.

He wasn't happy, so he worked out a plan, sold everything, rented a cheap room from some people and started to save. He saved 30K and then took off.

He met some girl in the Philippines and hasn't come back. He was under 30 at the time.

Here's another blog - http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/

I am trying to save, I will let everybody know how I do it in 2014 with redesign my personal blog with my goals and mission statement.

Not counting plane ticket, Plan A is to have around $7K cash, I will disclose how later. Plan B is to take what I can muster in about six months and stay for a slong as I can afford rent/food/basics. I will leave untied ends here, because for one thing, I don't like the used car selection in Brazil and new cars choices are not to my liking (no performance cars) or very expensive (what's available, imported from outside = $$$).

I may do some professional writing as well, we'll see. Bare min is to teach English in Brazil, no degrees or TEFL needed in most cases, demand is super high, only about 5% speaks English.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby manly5000 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Hey DJ -- do you think there is as much of a demand for English teachers in Brasil as there is in China? Like, if you have a CELTA, you're pretty much guaranteed to find a decent gig somewhere?

I'd love to see what life is like in a small Brasilian town somewhere away from the big cities... just don't know how much demand there would be for a teacher nessas cidades mais pouco no pais.

In so many ways Brasil seems like such a vast, untouched country for expats... i'm guessing this is due to its rep about violence and cost of living. Better for those of us who love the country for what it is though, i say!

There just might be a ton of HA members there before you know it tho.... we should arrange a get together lol.

How's your Portuguese coming along?
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Postby manly5000 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 pm

By the way... might be a dumb question, but once you get going with SEO writing and you have work, how do you get paid? Do you need to set up a Paypal account, etc...?
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:16 am

manly5000 wrote:By the way... might be a dumb question, but once you get going with SEO writing and you have work, how do you get paid? Do you need to set up a Paypal account, etc...?

Yeah 99 percent of the time it should be Paypal. All my payments have been through Paypal so far.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Thank You

Postby GenYguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:45 am

Voice of Reason wrote:You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.

I just want to give credit where it's due, thank you Voice of Reason from the bottom of my heart for showing me that article on SEO writing and setting me on this path. The other article was really cool as well.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad