Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Good Definition of Article Rewriting Vs Article Spinning

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 pm

GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Amazing tool for analyzing a site's SEO+keywords

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 am

http://www.statscrop.com/

I've gotten a lot of clients who provide me websites of their clients, but they don't provide me with the keywords. In my frustration and instant gratification mentality I googled "website analyzer". Keywords are important, not only because of SEO (using lots of different, but similar keywords in an article is good for SEO as long as the words make sense in the content), but also for getting ideas about what to write your articles about and how to structure them.

I use this free tool now to find all the keywords of a website. This saves a lot of time making a list of keywords which requires researching a site yourself! Not anymore with this tool. It gives you a crap ton of keywords, so what I do now is I keep two notepads (the free program that comes with your computer) open on my computer next to an article on Ezine (I resize the windows so they all fit on my screen). One notepad has this list of keywords, and the other notepad is where I write my article. This way I can see the list of keywords for ideas while I'm writing and I can also see the article I'm rewriting and summarizing. If it's an article that follows the format of "7 tips, 8 ways, 5 methods" etc, then those are easy for me to summarize myself because you can split up the article by each bullet point, and following the 400 word article formula, you know how many sentences you need to summarize each point with. If it's 5 points, then 3 sentence summaries for each point. If it's 7 points, then 2 sentence summaries, etc. Somewhere around 14 sentences (plus 3 sentences for the introduction) and you have just the right amount of words. If it's an article that isn't split up with numbers or bullet points, those are usually trickier and often times less practical. Reading it yourself though, you can see the useful nuggets of information in it and make your article title about that. If it's a longer article you can use the free summary tool to summarize the whole shebang by any amount of sentences you want (18 is good), and as I've mentioned already you can summarize it using specific keywords so the summary makes sense with your topic. It's 90% perfect. The other 10% you can easily figure out yourself. I don't recommend using the summary tool for articles that are split up by a numbered list of steps or bullet points, because it's very likely that the summary won't make any sense. The 400 word formula works best for these kinds of articles.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Re: 20 yr old

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:39 am

targetguy wrote:8) If I were 20 again and could pass the military exams I would go coast guard or request a place in asia to be stationed. that way you would learn a skill college paid for and live in asia. Trying to make it without any skills or source of income is all but impossible that is why people are going to the usa still. Many driving type jobs that pay ok also if the military isn't for you. Take a look at the difference in salary in usa and asia and there will be no guess work as to why people will do anything to go here not there. People in Europe or japan may not because they maike a comparable salary. If there were any way to immigrate to austrailia that country has great salarys also.

None of that stuff is for me. I'm not going back to college, in one month I'm done with my first semester and I'm not going back. I see no reason to. This SEO writing business is going to be successful, right now it's mathematically impossible for it not to be. With the money I'm making now, I'll soon be able to support myself in the Philippines, I just need to get a couple more clients making monthly bulk orders (and I've already got 2 who should be about to make the jump) and I'll be set. I'll send out 200 more emails and make MORE money if I have to, it's simply a numbers game, it's that freakin simple. When I reach that point, I'm not going to spend time and money on college, I'm going to use this business as a springboard into blogging, writing ebooks, vlogging (also want to do lets plays on videogames I like so I can put my video game passion to use too :)) making videos of the Philippines and Filipinas to start with, and becoming one of those lifestyle gurus, centered on personal development and living in the Philippines... And SEO writing will allow me to live, as a 21 year old American guy, in the Philippines, escaping the miserable dating culture in the United States while using a business from the US to sustain myself in the Philippines. I know that someday all of this will lead to something big for me.

I've even registered what I like to call a "sister" site to this one, happieroverseas.com, that I'll start blogging on when I get there. This site happierabroad.com was such an inspiration, my site will be inspired by it; I just want to help spread these truths even more with the power of my own domain name in this niche (it was fortunate and unfortunate that that domain name was available heh, more people need to start talking about this) I'll start out blogging, and as I learn more while I'm there I'll fill it up with useful and current information about moving to and living in the Philippines today, and also specific tips for younger guys like me, especially about dating because that will be my biggest passion... and coming from the US, my biggest challenge. I have never had a girlfriend or even had sex, so I'll be able to relate a lot with other "beginners" who want to escape what I want to escape by living in the Philippines... because unlike here, once I get there, I will have easy pickings, lol. EVERYTHING will change...

Oh, and you don't have to BE in the US to make a good income, you just have to be FROM the US. :D That's why online income is so great for those of us who want to live in cheaper countries that pay lower wages...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:04 am

Billy wrote:i am from germany so writing articles in english will not work for me though it´s quite interesting that there is a market for that. i heard it a lot on the web. i will try to find out how that works. anyway inspirating stuff.

I don't know what it's like in Germany, but there should be a market for SEO articles written in German in Germany, I would think... Because most people in Germany aren't fluent in English, so there's still a need for articles and blogs written in German. Just follow the same method I did. Send out emails to internet marketing companies in Germany, starting in your area first.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Re: It's Coming Together

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 am

navigator wrote:
GenYguy wrote:Starting from nothing, I am now making money in the hundreds of dollars.. If I was living in the Philippines now I could be supporting myself from SEO writing. It's unbelievable how relatively quickly this happened. Anyone that's on the fence, just do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good work. Your story is very inspiring. You are obviously very driven and determined to put in the necessary work to make things happen. What makes this thread especially interesting is that readers can follow your progress from the very beginning. A lot of readers, myself included, can relate to your situation when you first created this thread. They can see how much progress you've made and might be inspired to give a try themselves.

Although I will be taking a different path overseas, I am also keeping a record of my progress in my blog (which I will make public a few months after living overseas). Readers could then see how far I've come and hopefully will be inspired.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Thank you. Yes I was driven to send out those 300 or so emails I sent out because I had faith that it was a numbers game and I would see SOME results. Now the "work" part, writing the articles, is fun for me. It's fun because I like writing/learning new information (and the best way to learn something is to teach it) and also because I know I'm doing a job that people working minimum wage jobs would kill to have. It sure beats working at McDonalds flipping burgers. I can work whenever I want, which contributes to the "fun" factor. Yeah, the progress has definitely been fast. Didn't have to work for ANY qualifications, which I heard even teaching English online there are some you should have. Anyone in the US who's a native English speaker with a high school education and did alright in English class can write articles lol. I hope people do give it a try, honestly this has got to be the easiest job ever. No sending out applications, just send out tons of emails, your email is your "application" and your website is your "resume" lol. You get more than one client and you aren't reliant on anyone, only your own capabilities to negotiate and find more work.

I'm happy to hear you're starting a blog, so will I! What's your path, when will you be moving overseas?
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 am

The_Adventurer wrote:Many months ago I claimed I was done with this board, but this is exactly the kind of thread HA needs. I remember seeing recently thread where someone was parroting the usual, you need $40K saved up and have some property to rent out before you head abroad. They spoke of how foolish it would be to have a couple grand in your pocket and just do it. Well, that's exactly what I did. I am still here, abroad, over five years later, living a great life.

I was inspired by someone who sold all they owned, had $2K in their pocket and took off to the Phils. I did the same thing, but with only $1400 after buying a laptop. I started out doing exactly what GenYguy is doing. Writing for $30 per article may sound cheap, and it is if you have written for magazines making $500 per article before, but if you write 1-2 cheap articles per day you are making more than enough to live great in the Phils. That's how I started, writing cheap articles by day and partying it up by night.

GenYguy made it clear. If he can do it, anyone can do it. If you really want to get out, first you need to get out of the Matrix! All this talk about jobs skills, college, marketability etc. is fine if you want to stay in the US and work for the man until you're old. If you really want to get out, try something different. I knew a guy making money with a website about CEMENT. The net is vast and infinite.

QFT :)
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

SEO Article Inspiration

Postby GenYguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 am

This article inspired me to keep improving and producing better content... the main thing I got from it is this: when using other articles to help you write your own, copy ideas, not content. He's goes into more details about how he does this in the article.

http://greatleapstudios.com/blog/copywr ... -websites/
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby navigator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 am

GenYguy wrote:
navigator wrote:
GenYguy wrote:Starting from nothing, I am now making money in the hundreds of dollars.. If I was living in the Philippines now I could be supporting myself from SEO writing. It's unbelievable how relatively quickly this happened. Anyone that's on the fence, just do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good work. Your story is very inspiring. You are obviously very driven and determined to put in the necessary work to make things happen. What makes this thread especially interesting is that readers can follow your progress from the very beginning. A lot of readers, myself included, can relate to your situation when you first created this thread. They can see how much progress you've made and might be inspired to give a try themselves.

Although I will be taking a different path overseas, I am also keeping a record of my progress in my blog (which I will make public a few months after living overseas). Readers could then see how far I've come and hopefully will be inspired.

Thank you. Yes I was driven to send out those 300 or so emails I sent out because I had faith that it was a numbers game and I would see SOME results. Now the "work" part, writing the articles, is fun for me. It's fun because I like writing/learning new information (and the best way to learn something is to teach it) and also because I know I'm doing a job that people working minimum wage jobs would kill to have. It sure beats working at McDonalds flipping burgers. I can work whenever I want, which contributes to the "fun" factor. Yeah, the progress has definitely been fast. Didn't have to work for ANY qualifications, which I heard even teaching English online there are some you should have. Anyone in the US who's a native English speaker with a high school education and did alright in English class can write articles lol. I hope people do give it a try, honestly this has got to be the easiest job ever. No sending out applications, just send out tons of emails, your email is your "application" and your website is your "resume" lol. You get more than one client and you aren't reliant on anyone, only your own capabilities to negotiate and find more work.

I'm happy to hear you're starting a blog, so will I! What's your path, when will you be moving overseas?

SEO writing is something I might consider if my current path (becoming an English teacher overseas) doesn't work out. My biggest concern is that I have trouble writing about subjects for which I have little passion. The final product would be a half-hearted effort compared to articles I could write on travel, history, politics, economics, and other topics that are more interesting to me.

Assuming everything goes as planned, I will be leaving the U.S. in the first half of 2014. I will also be doing some traveling outside of the country between now and then.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Postby GenYguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 am

navigator wrote:
GenYguy wrote:
navigator wrote:

SEO writing is something I might consider if my current path (becoming an English teacher overseas) doesn't work out. My biggest concern is that I have trouble writing about subjects for which I have little passion. The final product would be a half-hearted effort compared to articles I could write on travel, history, politics, economics, and other topics that are more interesting to me.

Assuming everything goes as planned, I will be leaving the U.S. in the first half of 2014. I will also be doing some traveling outside of the country between now and then.

I had the same concern starting out, I think every SEO writer felt that way. What helps motivate me to write about things I have no interest in is learning something new about something to keep my brain healthy and continue my own broad education. To write about things you aren't passionate about and don't know a whole lot about, you have to research other sources of information about the topic, and the best way to write your own content about the topic is to learn about new ideas and information in the field of your topic. With this information and these ideas fresh in your mind, you can write your own content about any subject and get paid for it...

The biggest motivator for me though, is knowing that I'm essentially getting paid to teach myself information (unlike in college where you are expected to pay to "learn"). :D The best way to learn anything, whether you're passionate about it or not, is to research it and take notes on it, and rewriting the main ideas in your own words to help increase your understanding of the subject.

Another motivating factor is that I'm helping myself by learning practical information I could use myself someday (I've written all kinds of practical articles for all kinds of businesses whose services you will almost inevitably need someday), and I'm helping teach others who are clueless like me, about something that's useful.

If you think you'd enjoy writing about subjects you're passionate about (or just think you'd enjoy being a writer, period), you should definitely give SEO writing a try at some point. I'm on a mission to collect all of the most useful information for being an SEO writer and posting it here in this thread.

Where do you plan to stay long term overseas just out of curiosity, and how old are you?
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby navigator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:11 pm

That's a healthy way of approaching it. Back in high school (over ten years ago, which will give you some idea of how old I am), I was on the school's debate team. During our meets, I would be assigned random topics to debate. Some topics were completely unfamiliar to me at the time. I would be given time beforehand to conduct research and make preparations. By the sounds of things, that experience might come in handy if I were to become an SEO writer.

Latin America is my target, but I would be willing to start in Asia (in a country like South Korea or China, where there are a lot more English teaching jobs posted) to gain experience and also determine whether I would enjoy (or at least tolerate) teaching English overseas.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Postby manly5000 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Here's another question -- what kind of longevity do you think there is with SEO writing? Is it something that will still have a market and be relevant in 20 years? Theoretically being able to make at least a basic long-term living abroad by doing this alone?
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 pm

20 years is an awfully long time for anything computers and technology related. 20 years AGO the internet was hardly useful for the average person. There was no such thing as broadband and SEO didn't even exist.

WRITING, however, has been around for a very long time. The skills gained from SEO writing, and branching out into other areas as GenYguy described will surely be useful in some form or another for decades.

s
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Well it's been a while...

Postby GenYguy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey guys.. well I'm finally starting to make it.. after these last few months, I'm finally making over $1000 a month. My big break came when a company I had emailed over a month ago finally replied back to me a couple weeks ago and said they were looking for one good content writer, instead of hiring a full staff of writers, which they said would not be efficient for them. They needed at LEAST 25 articles per month, and they would pay me at the rates I set (they liked my rates because I offer discounts for bulk orders ;)), which for big bulk orders of 25+articles I do $20 for 400-500 words. The work for this company seems unlimited, I'm going to be doing at least 60 articles for this company every month, and that is about $1080 a month when you take out the PayPal cut (since they pay via PayPal). The work I get from my other clients right now all adds up to about $500-1000 a month. All in all, about 65 articles per month on average (I wrote one 1000 word article for $60 and 3 short copywriting style pages for a company and made $90, $30 each) to make $1500-$2000 a month (writing 2-3 articles per day on average to sustain this income, few hours per day until you get fast enough to write articles in 20 minutes, which some people who have had enough practice can do! Potential $60-$90 dollar an hour income). I'm going to take as much work as I can handle these next few months, save up at least $5k.. and move to the Philippines, and continue with my SEO writing. Right now I'm lucky enough to be living at home with my parents still so I can work all day long if I want to, I have no other obligations!

I'm also going to move into affiliate marketing again as well as Google Adsense by creating niche websites and putting my SEO writing experience to good use.. trying to create some passive income.

HAHA, does this sound like the guy that started this thread at all? :D

I finished college, and I'm not going back. This is my new path and I'm not turning back, never again.

I apparently did have a skill.. writing. I have always received positive feedback on my articles.. made a few mistakes along the way, but I was corrected and I learned from them.

I'm still the same person I was before doing this, I'm still lazy lol, still like videogames, all of my other problems I had before are still here.. except I'm making money online now and saving up so I can tackle some of these problems head on later. Next problem on the list to tackle, getting laid! :P

Seriously though, this has got to be the easiest job ever if you have a decent writing skill. No interpersonal skills needed, just have to send out emails and get on a phone call or two for certain clients. The best part is I can write articles while listening to my favorite music, chatting with friends on Facebook, and doing whatever I want basically. I can work at night if I want to even, send out articles in the morning and then sleep, and do it all over again.. which I like to do.

The only limit on income is you. You set the rates you think are fair for you to charge. You set up a website to showcase yourself and your work and this is the best indicator of how much you should be able to charge people. Then you send out emails with your website and if people like what you've got and the rates you've set, then you'll get clients. I had 5 beginner articles I wrote on my website and I STILL got tons of work from sending out 300 emails, enough work with $20-$30 for 400-500 word articles to make over $1500 a month! As a newbie! Wanna make more money? Send out more emails! Get more clients! Outsource your articles when you're ready to take this business to the next level (and you start getting more work than you can handle alone but you want to make more money ;))... there are excellent writers who will write articles for you for only 5 dollars each and after checking them yourself you can sell them to your clients at a marked up price. I haven't started outsourcing.. yet, but Kevin has. Me and Kevin are both prime examples of 20 year old kids with no college degrees, starting from nothing basically, making a living from SEO writing (he resides independently in Florida now).

Starting from nothing, well just a website for 10 bucks and $8/month hosting. I didn't even take any courses on SEO like Kevin did, he only taught me a few specifics, there isn't that much to SEO writing. With this trade, experience is the best teacher...

Anyone that's on the fence about giving this a try, JUST DO IT...

$1500 a month I'll be able to live pretty good in Phils. No degree, no experience, just some work, but it isn't hard at all. I'm not bragging, writing SEO articles isn't hard or complicated. Of course it takes some work, but that's why people get paid to do it.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Cruxbot!

Postby GenYguy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:10 pm

I was trying to find a new summary tool when I kept getting the annoying message "this summary cannot be found" on smmary.com.

Turns out there are a LOT of these summarizing tools online. Stumbled on this little gem. http://www.maketecheasier.com/5-useful- ... es-online/ check it out, check out the other free summarizing websites if you get the message "this summary cannot be found" on any of the tools!

Unfortunately a couple of the tools seem to have disappeared now, but I'm sure glad I read the comments, because that's how I found out about cruxbot. This tool is AMAZING! http://www.cruxbot.com/

It's not just helpful for SEO writing, it's a good tool for helping to overcome information overload from this information age that we live in. Their beta version is free, do yourself a favor and check it out... It's useful for anyone who surfs the web for information. They explain how it works and all the features available better than I could.

For SEO writing purposes, it's pretty useful.. and convenient. It summarizes some articles/information (I say some because it doesn't do it for every article.. much to my annoyance, it doesn't do it for a lot of articles on Ezine, but I think it does for the longer ones), right from your browser. I downloaded it as an addon for Firefox. Was super easy.

For example, I needed to write an article related to plumbing. I went to the plumbing category on Ezine and found an interesting article there about fireplaces. This article was about 800 words. Cruxbot summary was almost 500 words after I focused the summary on the word "fireplace" (it actually highlights all of the important information in the summary AND the article in your browser). My article was right in front of me. All I had to do was use the information laid out here http://greatleapstudios.com/blog/copywr ... -websites/ to make it unique, rewriting ideas, not content... because every idea that you can imagine already exists, but great CONTENT for those ideas may not exist.. yet. And "great content" is subjective anyway, so you can always expect a demand for content in the future for old and new ideas. Being a writer can always be lucrative...

On a related note, this article was also kind of helpful. Not so much for me, but for people who are just starting a career in writing it might be beneficial. Few helpful tips about writing quickly. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/tips-trick ... ssionally/
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:38 am

manly5000 wrote:Hey DJ -- do you think there is as much of a demand for English teachers in Brasil as there is in China? Like, if you have a CELTA, you're pretty much guaranteed to find a decent gig somewhere?

I'd love to see what life is like in a small Brasilian town somewhere away from the big cities... just don't know how much demand there would be for a teacher nessas cidades mais pouco no pais.

In so many ways Brasil seems like such a vast, untouched country for expats... i'm guessing this is due to its rep about violence and cost of living. Better for those of us who love the country for what it is though, i say!

There just might be a ton of HA members there before you know it tho.... we should arrange a get together lol.

How's your Portuguese coming along?

http://braziliangringo.com/en/ Demand would be just as high as in major cities because elites/rich will want to learn to expand their business relationships.

As Josh has said on is blog, the realization that you need to learn English hasn't hit the average Brazilian yet.

Sure you can teach in China, but the weather in Brazil can't be beat and unless you got a thing for Chinese women, Brazil is much closer to family back in America.

There's a decently sized Japanese population in Sao Paulo as well.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad