Realistic? Raising a family overseas while working online

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
jntndnv7926
Freshman Poster

Realistic? Raising a family overseas while working online

Post by jntndnv7926 »

This is slightly similar to some of the other posts I've read but I want to approach the topic differently. I know money isn't the most polite thing to talk about, but I've been thinking about this a lot and wanted to get some inspiration.

There is a lot of good advice on different ways to make money online here but my question isn't about that. Of course there is passive vs active income so you could combine them and get a higher income, but making 500-1000 a month is not enough for a family to live well even outside the West. For a single guy that's probably okay, but I am really thinking long term. I'm still pretty young but I really want to be able to live outside the West and get away from the superficial crap here, but I also want to provide my wife and kids with a good house, food, car, schooling etc.

It's overwhelming seeing all the different ways to make money online, from affiliate marketing to freelancing to writing articles, and trying to figure out what's the best way to go. Again, it's considered rude to talk about money but from what I've found 3k USD a month seems to be realistic for a small family to live decently on. Also curious about how taxes play out while living abroad but working online.

Anyone on here doing something similar, or have success stories of guys who have done this?
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

If you are a US citizen you are still supposed to pay taxes if you live abroad.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Realistic? Raising a family overseas while working onlin

Post by Jester »

jntndnv7926 wrote:This is slightly similar to some of the other posts I've read but I want to approach the topic differently. I know money isn't the most polite thing to talk about, but I've been thinking about this a lot and wanted to get some inspiration.

There is a lot of good advice on different ways to make money online here but my question isn't about that. Of course there is passive vs active income so you could combine them and get a higher income, but making 500-1000 a month is not enough for a family to live well even outside the West. For a single guy that's probably okay, but I am really thinking long term. I'm still pretty young but I really want to be able to live outside the West and get away from the superficial crap here, but I also want to provide my wife and kids with a good house, food, car, schooling etc.

It's overwhelming seeing all the different ways to make money online, from affiliate marketing to freelancing to writing articles, and trying to figure out what's the best way to go. Again, it's considered rude to talk about money but from what I've found 3k USD a month seems to be realistic for a small family to live decently on. Also curious about how taxes play out while living abroad but working online.

Anyone on here doing something similar, or have success stories of guys who have done this?
In Mexico 3k a month will work if you spend like a local. even with a wife and kids. Good life.

Taxes are not a big issue overall once you expat. Deal with that as it comes.

You're right that 500 to 1000 usd total family income wont work anywhere that you'd want to raise your kids in. Here in Mexico a bare-bones figure might be 2000.

Online work CAN get to the level you need, if you keep your eyes open and get to know the right people. I am NOT an expert on this, but there ARE experts here on HA.

But... ALWAYS better to have your OWN niche, something that sets you apart from other blokes online.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
jntndnv7926
Freshman Poster

Re: Realistic? Raising a family overseas while working onlin

Post by jntndnv7926 »

Jester wrote:
jntndnv7926 wrote:This is slightly similar to some of the other posts I've read but I want to approach the topic differently. I know money isn't the most polite thing to talk about, but I've been thinking about this a lot and wanted to get some inspiration.

In Mexico 3k a month will work if you spend like a local. even with a wife and kids. Good life.

Taxes are not a big issue overall once you expat. Deal with that as it comes.

You're right that 500 to 1000 usd total family income wont work anywhere that you'd want to raise your kids in. Here in Mexico a bare-bones figure might be 2000.

Online work CAN get to the level you need, if you keep your eyes open and get to know the right people. I am NOT an expert on this, but there ARE experts here on HA.

But... ALWAYS better to have your OWN niche, something that sets you apart from other blokes online.

You live in Mexico? What kind of work do you do?

Also I'm confused when you say "spend like a local" which makes me think of poverty, and follow up with "live well." Are you talking about buying local products instead of imported goods?

I've heard some pretty gruesome expat stories but heard good things about Puebla and Guanajuato, and that there are more religious and conservative people there and people walk around alone at night, something you can't even do in most American towns. Although, one of the biggest concerns for me wherever I live is internet speed (streaming movies lol) and I've read Latin America has some of the world's lowest.

I'm planning on doing ESL for a bit, but not sure about long-term. Pretty much all ESL salaries I've seen outside Korea/ the Middle East cap out pretty low. Decent for someone straight out of college, but definitely not long term, and even professionals like engineers and programmers in some countries barely make 1000$ a month. However, making money online seems like a possible way to enjoy a higher quality of life than you could get working locally in a beautiful country with moral values outside of the Anglosphere.