Is it hard to get a visa to work overseas?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Is it hard to get a visa to work overseas?

Post by MattHanson1990 »

My dad says that I have to stay in the US because it has the best economy in the world and that countries usually don't let foreigners find work. Is it hard to get a visa to work overseas in any foreign country? I heard it's hard for a foreigner to get a visa to work in the United States, but is it the same everywhere? Then he told me I have to go where there are jobs. Come on. Self-employment is actually not as hard as a lot of people think, but it depends on what people do for self-employment

I am just so tired of being lonely and isolated, and I'm desperate to leave the States; I would NOT want to become another George Sodini or another Elliott Rodgers.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Is it hard to get a visa to work overseas?

Post by xiongmao »

It's not that hard to get jobs in other countries. You either have to go somewhere you can legally work without a visa, or you need to get a skill that's in demand in the country you want to work in.

Many people (myself included) go down the English teaching route as native speakers are in demand in countries where there are few foreigners (i.e. most of Asia).

It's also possible to find non-English teaching jobs in other countries. Expat jobs do exist, but they're harder to find these days as education standards improve in other countries.

You might also be able to work legally in some countries without a visa. For example, as a Brit I can work (and go to live) anywhere in the EU. Which is exactly what I will be doing next month.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

english teaching is way abused by too many hippies and guys who dont know what they want to do in life. I haven't seen anyone on happier abroad that is an english teacher that is qualified for the job they just do it as an excuse to hit on women all day or cause they want to live "happier abroad" and have no other means.

american in bangkok was talking about some import business he did back in the day. im not sure what he was doing and i wonder if you can even do that anymore sounds like he was making a boatload of money. i wonder where he learned that. Some expats start call centers but ive heard there is some broker guys going around trying to steal clients making the industry really cut throat. Some of those call centers have money issues. I would think doing a call center in philippines would be interesting to start but im sure its a headache.

Ill just stick to my online income and live a millionaire lifestyle (not in dollar amoutn but in the sense i completely work for myself and really dont answer to anyone and can travel anywhere i want for as long and then go back home to the states).
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

It depends on your qualification and if there is a demand in a foreign country for your kind of work.
There are plenty of Western foreigners working outside their own native country, and they are not only English teachers.

Here in Japan I know foreigners, who are technicians, international hotel staff, foreign food/beverage sale, restaurant/cook and pastry cooks, medical staff, people working for trade/import/export etc. etc.

Of course some - who are qualified teachers with references - find a job in an international school, with excellent pay.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MattHanson1990 wrote:My dad says that I have to stay in the US because it has the best economy in the world and that countries usually don't let foreigners find work. Is it hard to get a visa to work overseas in any foreign country?
You would have to ask specifically about the country in question and the type of work you want to do.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Yohan wrote:It depends on your qualification and if there is a demand in a foreign country for your kind of work.
There are plenty of Western foreigners working outside their own native country, and they are not only English teachers.

Here in Japan I know foreigners, who are technicians, international hotel staff, foreign food/beverage sale, restaurant/cook and pastry cooks, medical staff, people working for trade/import/export etc. etc.

Of course some - who are qualified teachers with references - find a job in an international school, with excellent pay.
where do you apply? In japan or in america before you get there? I wish I could work on an airplane, what a cool job that would be. I saw a white woman working on cebu pacific in the philippines LOL