Making money on the road

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Making money on the road

Post by Cornfed »

Someone suggested to me a group of us pool resources and travel around certain largely rural area of the West earning money and interacting with people, looking to find our niche in the world in neo-hippie fashion. While this idea does have a certain romantic appeal, when I have tried this in the past it seemed like an efficient way to hemorrhage money and end up a homeless bum in short order. The trouble is that things cost more than they used to and there is just not the work available nowadays.

If I went this time it would be with a vehicle fully equipped for sleeping in. That way we could free camp or camp cheaply in various sites. I have learned that it is possible to earn money shooting various critters and vermin, so I would give that a try, and this would also solve the problem of finding work that doesn't suck. There is also seasonal orchard work such as fruit-picking, pruning etc. but that now pays peanuts (since you are competing with third worlders) and does suck. These days you can get online with mobile Internet, so you could in theory earn income online, but as we know this is no mean feat. Less licit ideas would include dealing drugs to backpackers and stealing copper wire from abandoned houses, but I would like to avoid that.

Does anyone know of any other ways to earn an income in such a situation? Although all of my adventures to date have fizzled out eventually, I'm still glad I had them, and I would kind of like to have this one while I am still young enough.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Re: Making money on the road

Post by starchild5 »

Cornfed wrote:Someone suggested to me a group of us pool resources and travel around certain largely rural area of the West earning money and interacting with people, looking to find our niche in the world in neo-hippie fashion. While this idea does have a certain romantic appeal, when I have tried this in the past it seemed like an efficient way to hemorrhage money and end up a homeless bum in short order. The trouble is that things cost more than they used to and there is just not the work available nowadays.

If I went this time it would be with a vehicle fully equipped for sleeping in. That way we could free camp or camp cheaply in various sites. I have learned that it is possible to earn money shooting various critters and vermin, so I would give that a try, and this would also solve the problem of finding work that doesn't suck. There is also seasonal orchard work such as fruit-picking, pruning etc. but that now pays peanuts (since you are competing with third worlders) and does suck. These days you can get online with mobile Internet, so you could in theory earn income online, but as we know this is no mean feat. Less licit ideas would include dealing drugs to backpackers and stealing copper wire from abandoned houses, but I would like to avoid that.

Does anyone know of any other ways to earn an income in such a situation? Although all of my adventures to date have fizzled out eventually, I'm still glad I had them, and I would kind of like to have this one while I am still young enough.
In America, you can easily get work from home job, many Americans are working a nomadic life in Thailand and Philippines...Once just have to put few months efforts...

Only thing good in America is jobs and money.....I'm not in America and yet I get lots of job offers which make me location independent...

Just do Google Adwords certification...It takes 3-4 weeks to learn it all and you are on your way to earn 70K...If you are in America and speak english and are white...I don't think anyone can stop you from being Location Independent...I get literally 1000s of jobs a month in my mailbox for Google related works. America is flooding with jobs compared to sh*t hole job less country Im from...

If you are American....really the only way to escape America is through the Internet.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I had my CELTA's careers input session today. English teachers make 10-16 €'s an hour teaching at a language school here in Barcelona, and €20/hr doing private tuition. Most schools will hire you for 24 hours a week (and more than that and you'd find it very hard going).

Private tuition can grow over time and be lucrative if you can get more students (€30/hr for a group of 4 - it's far easier to teach groups).

Other than that, find a niche and grow a nice career back home so you can have HA themed vacations and save up for longer trips overseas. Engineering and healthcare are full of niche careers or do regular teaching to rack up experience which will trump all other qualifications when you come to teach overseas.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

I thought about this long and hard guys. What can a young man do these day for money? After a while it hit me! Three words: Gay. male. prostitute. All you need is an asshole and smart phone. Someone should create an app for that.
Last edited by BlackKnight on May 20th, 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Ghost wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:I thought about this long and hard guys. What can a young man with no serious skills do these days to make money on the road. After a while it hit me! Three words: Gay. male. prostitute. All you need is an asshole and smart phone. Someone should create an app for that.
Sounds like you're going to put away a nice chunk of change doing that, Paggy.
I'm not the one asking about making money on the road. Maybe you should add a chapter to that in your doomsday fantasy: how to escape the west by being a gay male prostitute. You should try it out if you haven't already.

Benefits

- lots of free time to write doomsday fantasies

- easier time shitting
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

BlackKnight wrote:I thought about this long and hard guys. What can a young man do these day for money? After a while it hit me! Three words: Gay. male. prostitute. All you need is an asshole and smart phone. Someone should create an app for that.
Ban this faggot.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

xiongmao wrote:I had my CELTA's careers input session today. English teachers make 10-16 €'s an hour teaching at a language school here in Barcelona, and €20/hr doing private tuition. Most schools will hire you for 24 hours a week (and more than that and you'd find it very hard going).

Private tuition can grow over time and be lucrative if you can get more students (€30/hr for a group of 4 - it's far easier to teach groups).

Other than that, find a niche and grow a nice career back home so you can have HA themed vacations and save up for longer trips overseas. Engineering and healthcare are full of niche careers or do regular teaching to rack up experience which will trump all other qualifications when you come to teach overseas.
But you have EU citizenship. Will any of the language schools in Spain take the trouble to get work visas for native English speakers from the U.S., Canada, etc.?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote: Sounds like it would be hard to pull off. Like you said, you're competing with third-worlders for drifter work. Well, in the U.S. anyway, since it is a de-facto crime to be homeless or not have a residence.
Well, this is the value of pest control hunting, since the third-wolders either can't legally own firearms or can't use them properly. Also it could supply most of our food. However, I would like to have a few more methods as backup.
And going from city to city neo-hippie style, it seems like the cops would be a big problem.
We would largely be going from rural campsite to rural campsite. In cities we would likely have to rent appropriate accommodation.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Cornfed,
Getting together for camping and camp fires, or living in a trailer park, would be fun for a while. But it's not a long term solution.

Why don't you consider trying WWOOFing? You can work on organic farms in exchange for room and board and get exercise.

http://www.wwoof.net
http://wwoofinternational.org/
http://woofing.info/all-you-need-to-kno ... uirements/

You can also try living somewhere with lower cost of living, such as New Mexico, Texas or Oregon.

Why can't you just go work in fast food or get a temp job through an employment agency if you need money to go overseas? Or go live with your parents while working to save up money?

Or you can be a freelance worker.

http://www.elance.com
http://www.odesk.com
http://www.getafreelancer.com
http://www.demandstudios.com
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:Cornfed,
Getting together for camping and camp fires, or living in a trailer park, would be fun for a while. But it's not a long term solution.
It is not supposed to be a permanent solution but a way of travelling around while we each find something more permanent.
Why don't you consider trying WWOOFing? You can work on organic farms in exchange for room and board and get exercise.
Yes, this is another idea that has been proposed. The more options we have the better.
Why can't you just go work in fast food or get a temp job through an employment agency if you need money to go overseas?
I am already working full time right now, so this is unnecessary. However, you may be a little out of date, as all work is now in short supply. In most places, temp work is now conceptualized as a "job" for the purposes of application, complete with competitive application process etc. Often for a given individual there is NO work available.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

head the farms in australia pay very well plus pay for your room

wouldnt be to much fun, but could build a bankroll pretty quick i imagine
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

nomadphilippines wrote:head the farms in australia pay very well plus pay for your room

Could you expand on that? What do they want you to do for work?
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

Cornfed wrote:
nomadphilippines wrote:head the farms in australia pay very well plus pay for your room

Could you expand on that? What do they want you to do for work?
i have never done it but it sounds like some pretty simple fruit picking/farm work, know a guy who did it for a few months, he didnt hate it

however you are kinda out in the boonies i think and basically nothing at all to do when not working

don't think it is a solid long term solution, but if someone wants to go work pretty hard for a few months and build up a bankroll it did sound like a good option

australia pays well overall, definitely a place to look into
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com