Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Teaching English in Russia

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Teaching English in Russia

Postby GoingAwol » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Has anyone here ever taught english in Russia? I'm really interested in teaching English there, but i'm confused. I have read from multiple places that Russia doesn't require English teachers to have a college degree, but I have looked at hundreds of jobs and every single one of them say they require a bachelor's degree. So what gives? Is it possible to get TEFL jobs in Russia without a college degree or not? I am planning to get an online tefl certification within the next few months and I will be visiting Russia in May or June. Is there a good chance english schools would be interested in hiring me if I show up to apply with my tefl certification in hand?
GoingAwol
Freshman Poster

Re: Teaching English in Russia

Postby Ghost » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:32 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby GoingAwol » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Ghost wrote:It would probably depend on the job. There's a difference between the country itself requiring a degree in order to grant a work permit, and a particular job requiring it.
As far as I know, Russia itself doesn't require a degree for EFL teachers, but some jobs in Russia will. For higher paying and higher status jobs, expect a degree to be a basic requirement.

I think you could possibly start in Russia at International House or English First and then work up. Check out Dave's ESL Cafe. I don't know much about Russia as an EFL market.

If you don't have a TEFL, CELTA or other qualification yet it would be good to do a program in country, after which you would receive immediate job finding help.

Here's the site for International House: http://www.bkcih-moscow.com/

EF English First is a huge company in Asia, but it is also in Russia:

http://www.englishfirst.com/trt/teaching-english-in-russia.html

EF will sometimes cover TEFL courses for their teachers.

Thanks.I signed up on Dave's. Still waiting for him to activate my account so I can post.
GoingAwol
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 pm

So how did it go GoingAwol? Did you ever find a job in Russia?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby HouseMD » Mon May 09, 2016 11:22 pm

Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.
HouseMD
Experienced Poster

Postby GoingAwol » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 am

HouseMD wrote:Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.

ESL CAFE has a slew of Russian jobs posted right now. Nobody wants to go there because of the political situation.
GoingAwol
Freshman Poster

Postby GoingAwol » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:42 am

Ghost wrote:So how did it go GoingAwol? Did you ever find a job in Russia?

No,
I changed my plans. I decided to wait till I have my associate's degree in May. I'll go there after that and take the Celta. I'm sure i'll be able to find jobs then.
GoingAwol
Freshman Poster

Postby nomadphilippines » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:52 am

i would guess the pay wouldnt be to great here now right?
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:02 am

I looked at the situation years ago. Peanuts pay, having to travel all over the place so being paid even less per actual hour etc. f**k that, and it seems to have gotten worse. You do that if you don't need the money.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:46 pm

I recall reading before about how new teachers in Russia only make about $1000 a month (or less), but that an experienced teacher who was willing to work their way up for a few years could make about $2000 a month. I laughed. There are tons of newbie ass-hats who come to China and make $2500 a month with fuck-all in the way of quals. If anyone goes to teach in Russia, I guess it's because they really want to be there. No one does it for the money.
Last edited by Ghost on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Hero » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 pm

If I go to Russia, it'll be for the women.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby nomadphilippines » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:25 pm

especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:27 pm

nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go

Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby Tsar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Hero wrote:
nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go

Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D

Hopefully. That's why I hope the overall living standards for most Russians (and everyone in Eastern Europe) collapses.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 am

Tsar wrote:
Hero wrote:

Hopefully. That's why I hope the overall living standards for most Russians (and everyone in Eastern Europe) collapses.

Part of the problem with hoping for that is the local women won't seek you just because of how bad their standard of living is, but also how based on how well your country is doing. Just about everyone these days knows that the U.S. is in dire straights and has become a shithole of sorts.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Next

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad