Teaching English in Russia

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Teaching English in Russia

Post by GoingAwol »

Has anyone here ever taught english in Russia? I'm really interested in teaching English there, but i'm confused. I have read from multiple places that Russia doesn't require English teachers to have a college degree, but I have looked at hundreds of jobs and every single one of them say they require a bachelor's degree. So what gives? Is it possible to get TEFL jobs in Russia without a college degree or not? I am planning to get an online tefl certification within the next few months and I will be visiting Russia in May or June. Is there a good chance english schools would be interested in hiring me if I show up to apply with my tefl certification in hand?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 10th, 2020, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Re: Teaching English in Russia

Post by GoingAwol »

Ghost wrote:It would probably depend on the job. There's a difference between the country itself requiring a degree in order to grant a work permit, and a particular job requiring it.
As far as I know, Russia itself doesn't require a degree for EFL teachers, but some jobs in Russia will. For higher paying and higher status jobs, expect a degree to be a basic requirement.

I think you could possibly start in Russia at International House or English First and then work up. Check out Dave's ESL Cafe. I don't know much about Russia as an EFL market.

If you don't have a TEFL, CELTA or other qualification yet it would be good to do a program in country, after which you would receive immediate job finding help.

Here's the site for International House: http://www.bkcih-moscow.com/

EF English First is a huge company in Asia, but it is also in Russia:

http://www.englishfirst.com/trt/teachin ... ussia.html

EF will sometimes cover TEFL courses for their teachers.
Thanks.I signed up on Dave's. Still waiting for him to activate my account so I can post.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

HouseMD wrote:Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.
ESL CAFE has a slew of Russian jobs posted right now. Nobody wants to go there because of the political situation.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Ghost wrote:So how did it go GoingAwol? Did you ever find a job in Russia?
No,
I changed my plans. I decided to wait till I have my associate's degree in May. I'll go there after that and take the Celta. I'm sure i'll be able to find jobs then.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

i would guess the pay wouldnt be to great here now right?
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I looked at the situation years ago. Peanuts pay, having to travel all over the place so being paid even less per actual hour etc. f**k that, and it seems to have gotten worse. You do that if you don't need the money.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

If I go to Russia, it'll be for the women.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Hero wrote:
nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D
Hopefully. That's why I hope the overall living standards for most Russians (and everyone in Eastern Europe) collapses.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.