What Frameworks, APIs should I learn to be better at PHP?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
zacb
Experienced Poster

What Frameworks, APIs should I learn to be better at PHP?

Post by zacb »

Hello.

I have been learning PHP for the past several months, and it has been great. I feel like I am almost comfortable with making things in PHP, and I am wondering what would be the next step towards either freelance or working for someone? I want to work on a location independent job, but IDK how close I can or cannot get to that. I know at least I can move on from retail, but what steps should I take towards making my PHP job ready? Thanks
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: What Frameworks, APIs should I learn to be better at PHP

Post by xiongmao »

Great - maybe you can stop the HA forum going into mobile mode on Firefox.

I'm a Microsoft guy (C#, MVC, SQL Server) but I'd say that you need to add on databases (e.g. MySQL) and a front-end framework (I've settled on Bootstrap). Also jQuery is important. Sheesh, back in the old days I just needed to know ASP, JavaScript, HTML and SQL Server.

Freelancing is hassle. Instead you could do what I do - work for $$$$ for a year or two and then go off and chill somewhere for a year. To do this it's best to man up to Java/Microsoft/Oracle and/or learn a particular business niche (I'm currently in insurance).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

xiongmao,

When you mentioned learn a business niche can you expand further?

I'm thinking about doing a career change and going back to IT. Thinking of studying either Java or front end design but I find that programming is pretty difficult. I figure if I become competent in a programming language it can give me more choices if I every decided to move my family overseas.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I've heard that if you freelance you'll be competing with Indians and Filipinos (who bid really low for jobs) on sites like upwork.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Panda or Xiong mao,

You should go ahead and get into the middleware automation of Microsoft like PowerShell. It will become a full-on OOA/OOD in the next version I bet. PowerShell can automate ANY technology that has CLR-compiled .NET libraries.

Also, get into vmWare more like vmWare Orchestrator (it has a new name now, I think vNext?) which requires heavy JavaScript which is good for workflow domain automation which calls Windows-based EXEcutables and PoSH (PowerShell) scripts!!! Speaking of JavaScript, why don't you know AngularJS? That s.hit is hot right now.

Most of those Asian Indians don't know PowerShell. They are stucky on SharePoint, ASP.NET MVC, SOAP/WSDL/.NET Web Services, et. al. The only Microsoft technologies that would put you ahead of the Asian subcontinent Indians and Filipinos are omniscient cognizance of System Center 2012 R2 (the whole suite I'm telling you, especially SCOM and SCSM) and PoSH-Powershell workflows with noun-verb Workflow cmdlets.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:Hello.

I have been learning PHP for the past several months, and it has been great. I feel like I am almost comfortable with making things in PHP, and I am wondering what would be the next step towards either freelance or working for someone? I want to work on a location independent job, but IDK how close I can or cannot get to that. I know at least I can move on from retail, but what steps should I take towards making my PHP job ready? Thanks
XiongMao may be set in his myopic Microsoft ways, and I used to be like that. I only gave him Microsoft advice. However, get into Big Data/Data Science. Get into analytic Data Science languages like R. Python > PHP. PHP is interpreted; Python is true OO compiler based code. NoSQL is good too because it's not about typical scanning of records like a relational traditional database is. MongoDB is a good NoSQL technology. Cassandra. If you know Java (not JavaScript/ECMAscript), then you can dive into Big Data pretty seamlessly.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:Hello.

I know that mySQL and PHP go hand-in-hand so that's why I advised you accordingly. NoSQL is if you were to get into Big Data-Data Science although there are other "SQL"-based technologies that would require HQL, which is Apache's answer to Hadoop SQL for HBase, which is a database system for Hadoop itself.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

E Irizarry R&B Singer ,

What programming language do you know? What would you recommend?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

chanta76 wrote:E Irizarry R&B Singer ,

What programming language do you know? What would you recommend?
Please see my responses above. I'm a Microsoft
Big Data guy.