For those that teach ESL overseas

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

For those that teach ESL overseas

Post by chanta76 »

How good are you? I mean I met ESL teachers in South Korea and I was like.."wow'", they take anyone.
I think the requirements are that you have to be white at least have a college degree and maybe TESOL certificate. If your not white you have to look harder to find a school to accept you.

But curious for those who work in the field. How is it like day to day?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Re: For those that teach ESL overseas

Post by starchild5 »

Just White BUT with Blonde Hair and Blue Eyes...They don't hire Romanian's, Bulgarians even though they are Caucasians.

I'm Indian and they do not hire Indians even with 10s of degrees and good english skills, they need accent, they need a white face to sell there curriculum to brainwashed Asian parents to give them 1000s of dollars in school fees.

Every ESL white guy actually makes 10 times more to the school.

A Chinese school will make more from a white face than all Asian teachers combined. :D
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

I'm working for a company which sends us into multinationals to teach staff and management business English skills. The teachers (or trainers as we call them) are over thirty, white and there are more men than women. They apparently only hire people with at least four years experience. The hourly rate is high but we don't get holidays or sick leave - and you need to get good student survey results to receive a lot of hours.

Last Thursday I went to an observe three hours of classes that I will be taking over from a British guy who is leaving Taiwan after 12 years. I was stoked - basically 90 bucks to watch someone else teach. Anyway the guy looked fairly tired although his teaching was professional enough. When he handed me a folder I noticed his hands were shaking wildly. Why? Alcoholism I would wager. It's endemic among ESL teachers, especially the veteran crew. Every time I go to the office beer is all they mention. I could keep up to age 35, now I really try to drink as little as possible. Why do ESL teachers drink so much? - well the guy mentioned above must have been at least 45 and had spent 12 years in a country without learning the language (he couldn't even get the spelling of the Chinese address in pinyin right so I would know where the class was), imagine how isolating that must be. Couple this with the fact that there are not many career advancement options in the industry. Mind you ESL does have it's benefits - you don't really have to bust arse to make OK money.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

chanta76 wrote:How good are you? I mean I met ESL teachers in South Korea and I was like.."wow'", they take anyone.
I think the requirements are that you have to be white at least have a college degree and maybe TESOL certificate. If your not white you have to look harder to find a school to accept you.

But curious for those who work in the field. How is it like day to day?
I work as an ESL teacher in Thailand.

I love it!
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

starchild5 wrote:Just White BUT with Blonde Hair and Blue Eyes...They don't hire Romanian's, Bulgarians even though they are Caucasians.

I'm Indian and they do not hire Indians even with 10s of degrees and good english skills, they need accent, they need a white face to sell there curriculum to brainwashed Asian parents to give them 1000s of dollars in school fees.

A Chinese school will make more from a white face than all Asian teachers combined. :D
It's true. The teachers are pieces of trash shit that are imported from America etc., fat, dumpy...slobs, tattoos, just cruising. I am starting to see the school puts up with them - even though they know they are garbage - because it brings in the money. ...
Sad.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Starchild, Asians are so racist, they even have a price list for different categories of races, lol!

Anyway, it's not a bad lifestyle. You usually have a lot of time to travel and live a decent life. Sure, you won't be rich, but if you're frugal, you can save quite a lot of money.

Btw, Chanta: Asians do get discriminated, but you can still find jobs. I'm Asian and yet, once people realized I was a serious teacher--and well liked by my students-- my colleagues and managers came to respect me, regardless of my race.

Also, if you want to work with good people and in a professional environment, work for adult centers such as EF (English First), Meten, Web English or Wall Street English in China. In other countries, you can search for Berlitz or Hess in Japan, or EPIK (government program in which you teach children in public schools) in Korea. (With EPIK, you will need to send a FBI Criminal Background check, so if you got a criminal record, don't bother applying).

If you want a real teaching job, than the Middle East is just for you! (Ask Ladislav for advice about teaching in that region). You can make a ton of money teaching in that region, moreso than any other region in the world. Also, don't forget to neglect Russia as a destination for teaching; it is a growing market for English learners, so if you want to teach there, than get a job with EF. They have many schools in that region. If you don't want to work for a corporate company, than you'll easily be able to find other kinds of jobs at Dave's ESL Cafe.

Central and South America is also a good place to teach English. Again, go to Dave's ESL Cafe for jobs.

The demand is so strong that even if you're Black, Indian, Asian, etc., you will still be able to find a job.

The most important question you need to answer before searching for a teaching job is this: do you want to teach adults or children? Remember, some may find teaching adults very boring, while others may find teaching children too exhausting.

If you want to find jobs teaching in China, please apply at http://workabroad.today
We don't discriminate, so please apply with us.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

zboy1,

I'm considering teaching abroad with my wife coming along . Money is an issue and well ESL industry is limited but I realize if you can open your own school or do something innovative . I think I just need a break from USA. If I can make a living overseas and take care of my family I would do it.

Teaching is a skill in itself. I heard that in order to teach kids you have to keep them entertain . I mean to be an ESL teacher there is not allot requirements to become one. For business English it's a bit special since there are certain jargon that business people use.

Johnny Law,

How can you afford to enjoy the night life with ESL income? I heard stories of ESL teacher working in Japan or South Korea and go to Thailand or the Philippines to live it up.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

chanta76 wrote:zboy1,

I'm considering teaching abroad with my wife coming along . Money is an issue and well ESL industry is limited but I realize if you can open your own school or do something innovative . I think I just need a break from USA. If I can make a living overseas and take care of my family I would do it.

Teaching is a skill in itself. I heard that in order to teach kids you have to keep them entertain . I mean to be an ESL teacher there is not allot requirements to become one. For business English it's a bit special since there are certain jargon that business people use.

Johnny Law,

How can you afford to enjoy the night life with ESL income? I heard stories of ESL teacher working in Japan or South Korea and go to Thailand or the Philippines to live it up.
You can make decent money in China. Not rich, but okay. Also, you can do private tutoring on the side, which can be quite lucrative. As an Asian American, you would easily get job offers, although not as many as Whites. You're welcome to apply at my site: http://workabroad.today

P.S., upload a resume, with your pic and a video introducing yourself on the site. Then we will match you up with potential schools for free.
I suggest you teach adults. Kids can be a nightmare, plus adults will respect you more.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

zboy1 wrote:
chanta76 wrote:zboy1,

Johnny Law,

You can make decent money in China. Not rich, but okay. Also, you can do private tutoring on the side, which can be quite lucrative. As an Asian American, you would easily get job offers, although not as many as Whites. You're welcome to apply at my site: http://workabroad.today

P.S., upload a resume, with your pic and a video introducing yourself on the site. Then we will match you up with potential schools for free.
I suggest you teach adults. Kids can be a nightmare, plus adults will respect you more.
So how much of a commission are you making off of placing potential applicants to whichever school in China? Isn't there a lot of competition in this business field attempting to make a profit doing the same thing?

One of the main problems is getting paid on time or getting paid at all. Are the schools properly vetted where contracts are fully honored that are signed by prospective teachers? That was one of the main issues I had working in the ESL industry and I think it's a fairly common practice in Asia to stiff teachers of their pay. Many novice Westerners wanting to teach don't know this is a major issue. An ESL teacher always needs to have extra money to live on just in case they get stiffed by the school.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

In ESL you have to stick up for yourself. There are too many people telling you are a degenerate bum just because you are an ESL teacher. When I was a postman nobody told me that and I would have socked them one if they did. Just last Monday a student cancelled last minute and my boss wasn't going to pay me - I told him pay me or I leave. Come on guys we aren't Okies quite yet - stand up for your rights...you go to work, you get paid full stop. Why are you a bum? Lawyers, bankers, plumbers, car salesmen? Are those jobs so much better! Do you think they suffer from the same lack of self-esteem? Are they doing something better for the human race? Are there not scumbags in their industries too?
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Eric wrote:
starchild5 wrote:Just White BUT with Blonde Hair and Blue Eyes...They don't hire Romanian's, Bulgarians even though they are Caucasians.

It's true. The teachers are pieces of trash shit that are imported from America etc., fat, dumpy...slobs, tattoos, just cruising. I am starting to see the school puts up with them - even though they know they are garbage - because it brings in the money. ...
Sad.

"The teachers are pieces of trash shit that are imported from America etc., fat, dumpy...slobs, tattoos, just cruising."

What the f**k is wrong with that?
Since about 100% of HA forum members fit this description.

-Lesson Leanrned-
If you want to cruise around and get laid become an ESL teacher.

Haters are sexless misarable pieces of shit anyways.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

I remember reading a book by Susan Griffith about teaching English abroad when I was a bum on the dole back around 1997 - it sounded something like a dream job and a dream life.

On the back of reading that book, I got into university doing a linguistics degree and later got my masters degree in that with a TESOL concentration.

And now I am a TEFL teacher, and I will be doing this for the rest of my working life.

I love living in Asia, this has changed me a hell of a lot. A lot of views and how I live my life has changed for the better by living here, I have become more calm, more at peace with myself and I am happy and I don't want to do anything else.

A lot of people kind of stumble into this, they do a poli-sci degree - realise they are never going to be president and then become a TEFL teacher.

That's great, a lot of them do well, there are some really good jobs for people with the right experience and qualifications - if you are in this game and you are smart, you tend to up your qualifications, get a teaching license or an MA.

There seems to be a negative kickback from other expats, they tend to be in shitty careers themselves - recruitment consultants, financiers, bankers, advertising execs - wankers - the lot of them.

You get a lot of American ESL'ers who talk up about what they are going to do when they get back to the states and what awaits them - Americans do this more than any other nationality I notice - brag about their 3500000 dollar a year job that will be waiting for them and that TEFL is for a year or two, anyone who is in it longer than that is a loser and a deadbeat - not them of course, because there is a 3500000 a year job waiitng for them on the back of their poli-sci degree from North Dakota state and two years working at ding dong hagwon in Ulsan.

So, my tip is, go into this with your eyes wide open, if it is too good to be true, it probably is, if you want the better jobs, get the relevant qualifications - if you want to work in the middle east, you need to actually go back to a brick and mortar campus and do an MA to take full advantage - the people you will meet will be the same as back home, some good, some bad, some weirdoes - if you are the type to go round calling everyone a weirdo, you are probably the biggest weirdo there. :lol:
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

yick wrote:I remember reading a book by Susan Griffith about teaching English abroad when I was a bum on the dole back around 1997 - it sounded something like a dream job and a dream life.

On the back of reading that book, I got into university doing a linguistics degree and later got my masters degree in that with a TESOL concentration.

And now I am a TEFL teacher, and I will be doing this for the rest of my working life.

I love living in Asia, this has changed me a hell of a lot. A lot of views and how I live my life has changed for the better by living here, I have become more calm, more at peace with myself and I am happy and I don't want to do anything else.

A lot of people kind of stumble into this, they do a poli-sci degree - realise they are never going to be president and then become a TEFL teacher.

That's great, a lot of them do well, there are some really good jobs for people with the right experience and qualifications - if you are in this game and you are smart, you tend to up your qualifications, get a teaching license or an MA.

There seems to be a negative kickback from other expats, they tend to be in shitty careers themselves - recruitment consultants, financiers, bankers, advertising execs - wankers - the lot of them.

You get a lot of American ESL'ers who talk up about what they are going to do when they get back to the states and what awaits them - Americans do this more than any other nationality I notice - brag about their 3500000 dollar a year job that will be waiting for them and that TEFL is for a year or two, anyone who is in it longer than that is a loser and a deadbeat - not them of course, because there is a 3500000 a year job waiitng for them on the back of their poli-sci degree from North Dakota state and two years working at ding dong hagwon in Ulsan.

So, my tip is, go into this with your eyes wide open, if it is too good to be true, it probably is, if you want the better jobs, get the relevant qualifications - if you want to work in the middle east, you need to actually go back to a brick and mortar campus and do an MA to take full advantage - the people you will meet will be the same as back home, some good, some bad, some weirdoes - if you are the type to go round calling everyone a weirdo, you are probably the biggest weirdo there. :lol:
Good post!
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

i have heard there are certain cities in china where the pay for teaching english is great and the cost of living is pretty low, plus you dont have to have any certificates or anything
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com