Real estate investment in Asia

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Real estate investment in Asia

Post by chanta76 »

In another thread Winston mentioned that Rock owns some condos throughout Asia . I have a couple of question about real estate investment .

I work in real estate in NYC. I manage number of buildings here in NYC so I have to go out collect rent, building maintenance etc. So it's hands on approach.

The question is for those of you who own property in Asia and rent it out as a source of income but still able to travel or live in other countries. How do you manage it?

Do you guys use brokers? or is it something you have to just go to the country to get the feel for?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Real estate investment in Asia

Post by chanta76 »

I tried to do some research online regarding real estate investment but I can't say for sure I trust all the information. Wondering if some of you can be of help. If I have an additional $200,000 to invest and I wanted to invest in income producing properties I figure Thailand will be one place since it does have a high tourism and maybe rent it out to vacationers. I like to know about people experience regarding this.

Winston mentioned that Rock has some real estate investment. I think Yohan also has a place in thailand but how do you manage it if you live in other places. For example let say you live in Singapore but have condos in THailand . From my experience as a property manager you either a hire a company to manage it for you but that eats into your profit and can you trust the management team.

The other case is have the tenant pay way in advance along with security deposit trusting that everything be OK and you can travel outside . Wondering if people can help.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Real estate investment in Asia

Post by zboy1 »

I'm also interested in real estate. Rock woud be the guy to ask about investing in real estate in Asia.

I really like the Philippines because I think the future is really bright there, especially with Duterte cleaning up things there. Thailand real estate is a bit expensive, so the prices might be beyond my limit.

I would really be interested in Myanmar, but the current uncertain political environment make it unsafe for foreign investment at the moment.