Bachelor's degree jobs

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
wanderlust
Freshman Poster

Bachelor's degree jobs

Post by wanderlust »

What good non-STEM-C jobs can somebody get today in the US that require at most a bachelor's degree, yet pay more than a good trade job? $60k or better.

I'd be happy to work overseas as many of you suggest but the options shrink significantly and taking less than I now make is not feasible at this time.

I know sales potentially pays well, having worked in it before, but am not really cut out for it. A lot of good jobs can be landed with bachelor's degree but you have to know somebody, you don't just apply.

Starting a business is a possibility but may be somewhat inconvenient, especially a capital-intensive business. Getting certifications is a possibility, but another 2-3 years in school would be a bit of a stretch.

Suggestions?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Bachelor's degree jobs

Post by jamesbond »

Employers want work experience more than anything else. A college degree with no work experience will land someone a job at McDonalds or Walmart.

With the economy still struggling, good paying jobs are hard to get even if you do have years of work experience and a college degree.

Networking is the way to go. A study came out recently that showed 78% of people who have a job, found that job through another person.

It's not what you know, it's who you know. :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
ezinho
Freshman Poster

Post by ezinho »

You would have to get into a FIRE career to make good money with a non-stem degree; finance, insurance or real estate. Even then, these industries are very sensitive to economic bubbles, so even if you're making good money now, the next time the economy takes a dump you may be out of a job, or making a lot less than before.

I work in real estate now and have made very good money the last couple of years, but I know it is only temporary. This year I'm making less than before, and there will probably be layoffs at my company by the end of the year. I'm predicting a nasty recession sometime next year.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

ezinho wrote:I work in real estate now and have made very good money the last couple of years, but I know it is only temporary. This year I'm making less than before, and there will probably be layoffs at my company by the end of the year. I'm predicting a nasty recession sometime next year.
Are you a real estate agent? I have a friend who was doing real estate for a long time and he says the market is better now than it was during the recession but nearly as good as it was during the housing boom.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

jamesbond wrote:Employers want work experience more than anything else. A college degree with no work experience will land someone a job at McDonalds or Walmart.

With the economy still struggling, good paying jobs are hard to get even if you do have years of work experience and a college degree.

Networking is the way to go. A study came out recently that showed 78% of people who have a job, found that job through another person.

It's not what you know, it's who you know. :D
Winston that's very true but even worse is that many of these college graduates are stuck with tens of thousands of dollars (and in some cases over 100 grand)in STUDENT LOAN DEBT!!!!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 29th, 2017, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I just heard a report on the news that said, the average college graduate has $30,000 in student loans when they graduate. :shock: